Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 09-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Default Shelterbox, temporary homes up to ten to live for 6 months

I was checking this site out earlier and downloaded the pic of items in one to make up our own since they don't sell these.
Shelterbox Provides Hurricane Relief During Ike and Other Natural Disasters.

What You Need to Know Now

Tom Henderson's organization, Shelterbox, was recently featured on CNN's Heroes segment. For those unfamiliar with Shelterboxes, they are literally temporary homes large enough for a family of up to 10 people to live for as long as 6 months, equipped with supplies to keep a family alive and with as much independence as possible during that time. They were used during Hurricane Katrina and could be used again during any hurricane, including Hurricane Ike, if needed.

With Hurricane Ike building and heading for the U.S., I wondered about the potential use of these temporary shelters during hurricane season. Casey Chadwick, a PR and Marketing Director for Shelterbox USA was able to answer many of my questions in detail. If you or friends and family members may be in need of a Shelterbox during Hurricane Ike or another natural disaster - or want to know how to help families who may need one - here is some basic information that could come in handy.

Could Shelterboxes be used during Hurricane Ike? How is the decision made to use a Shelterbox?

I was told that Tom Henderson,who oversees the organization from England, keeps an eye on all natural disasters and makes judgment calls about when to deploy aid. These boxes were used during Hurricane Katrina and were also sent to Myanmar when cyclones struck the area. They can be used anywhere in the world. Whether they will be needed during Hurricane Ike is impossible to know at this point. Of course, if someone desperately needs protection and housing after losing their home to Hurricane Ike, help might be needed quickly, especially for those emotionally battered and reeling with shock.

http://www.shelterbox.org/history.htm

Picture of ShelterBox with supplies
http://www.shelterboxusa.org/images/...ents_large.jpg

Rugged multiuse container (polpropylene and ABS plastic measures 33x24x22 weights 120 lbs when full)
2 treated mosquito nets
2 boxes of water purification tablets, enough to treat water for 10 people for 6 months)
2 collapsible 2-gallon water containers
2 collapsible 5-gallon water containers
Custom 10-person dome Vango tent
4 waterproof gound sheets with blanket lining
10 thermal blankets or sleeping bags
10 waterproof ponchos
Multifuel stove
2 cooking pots and utensils
Dishes and eating utensils
folding trenching tool
Claw hammer, ax, and hoe head
Pliers, wire cutters, tape measure and saw
50 foot nylon rope
childrens school supplies
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Default Re: Shelterbox, temporary homes up to ten to live for 6 months

Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #3
Mike_Jetson
Avalon Senior Member

Great product

Interesting its made by the rotary club

someone remind me what these guys have to do with the the global elite?
Mike_Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:34 PM   #4
AMA-GI
Avalon Senior Member

very good product, shame i have bought all of my things.

This may be of interest to you all. building an Eco-Dome is the next stage after building a small emergency shelter and provides hands-on learning experience in the essential aspects of Superadobe construction. It's small size of approximately 400 square feet (interior space), makes it a manageable structure for the first time owner builder.
The finished "very small house" is self-contained and can become a small guest house, studio apartment, or be the first step in a clustered design for community use in an Eco-Village of vaults and domes.

Some features of the Eco-Dome include:

Built from local earth-filled Superadobe coils (earth stabilized with cement or lime).
Tree free.
Maximum use of space through alternative options. The main dome and four niches, depending on local code approval, can function as:
main living room, entrance hall, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom (called "bed-womb" because of it's small, organic form!)
living room, entrance hall, and three bed-rooms.
living room, entrance hall, two bedrooms, and a bathroom.
Self-contained single unit (potential for a guest house or studio apartment) or double unit (larger family residence).
Can be repeated and joined together to form larger homes and courtyard houses.
Can be built by a team of 3-5 persons.
Designed with the sun, shade and wind for passive cooling and heating.
Wind-scoop can be combined with a rated furnace unit, depending on local code approval. Solar energy and radiant heating may be incorporated.
Interior furniture can be built-in with same material.

These look so great, cheap as well.
http://www.calearth.org/EcoDome/ecodome.html
AMA-GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
Peace of Mine
Avalon Senior Member

Default Domes for the World - Eco-Shells

Another project provides long-term shelter for hurricane and tsunami victims in Haiti and in Indonesia. The Monolithic Dome Institute teaches the local people how to construct the shelters - you can build a mud hut in Haiti of 160 sq ft for $1200, or a 300 sq ft Eco-Shell for $1200. These shelters can be used in areas where extreme cold or heat is not a concern.

[URL="http://www.dftw.org"]
Peace of Mine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:20 AM   #6
MargueriteBee
Avalon Senior Member

What I like about the Cal Earth homes is you can paint it to look like a huge granite rock, a disguise.
MargueriteBee is offline   Reply With Quote