Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Old 02-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
viking
Avalon Senior Member

Default Garbage Island...

Garbage Island... Sad!!!

What are we doing to our Once beautiful planet!!

shes gonna get angry !!

watch the video here...
http://vimeo.com/3251574

For years we've been reading about a patch of garbage the size of Texas floating in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, ingeniously dubbed the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. Basically, any trash that gets dumped in the water rides the currents to this one spot and joins an ever-increasing flotilla of crap. For all the breathless accounts of the mess and its impact on the area's sealife, however, no one seemed to have a picture of the buildup.

In order to sate our own curiosity, VBS joined the crew of a research vessel studying the trash and sailed out into one of the most remote spots of open water in the world, the North Pacific Gyre, in search of this mythical garbage island. What we discovered once we got there was an ecological disaster beyond any of our expectations and possibly the single worst thing human beings have done to the planet and ourselves. Hope you're into cancer and sex-reversal!

VBS CORRESPONDENT THOMAS MORTON:
Before this trip, I was never all that crazy about the ocean. I’ve always appreciated the fact that it generates the majority of the world’s oxygen and keeps us nice and far from places like Britain, but in terms of any sort of awe or “respect” it just never happened. I would say I looked at it less as the primeval womb of all terrestrial life than as an excessive amount of water you sometimes have to fly over.

Part and parcel with this was my attitude toward the Pacific Garbage Patch, or as we willfully misidentified it for the duration of our journey, the elusive Garbage Island. All the journalism I’d read about the patch had carefully danced around physical descriptions of the trash, leading myself and the rest of the shooting crew to fanciful visions of a solid, Texas-size barge of discarded Coke bottles and sporting goods. The idea that people had managed to **** up a part of the world that nobody even visits, much less inhabits, and on such a monumental scale struck me as interesting and, to be honest, slightly awesome-sounding, but at the end of the day the impact of the mess on the rest of the world failed to register. I mean, sure, sea birds choking to death on deflated balloons and sea turtles whose shells have been completely deformed by soda can rings (click here for a picture of this if you want to completely ruin your day)—all this definitely sucks, but so do a lot of things, you know?

Needless to say this whole journey ended up overturning my expectations about the Garbage Patch, as well as just about every misconception I’ve ever held about the sea, environmentalism, consumption, barfing, knots, pollution, humanity, and myself. After absorbing the myriad dangers of our plastic-heavy lifestyles for three weeks, I’m now a proud, carbon-conscious “Earth Warrior” who yells at grocery clerks for double-bagging my produce and carries around one of those 70s gunnysacks to drink out of. Just kidding, although the trip did lead me to ferret out a group of non-hippie environmentalists. I also finally got into Earth Crisis. Pretty decent.

viking
viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
pyrangello
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Garbage Island...

Viking , there should be a real re-direction of focus from the global warming hoax to an intense effort to stop the garbage dumping by other countries and cruise ships and start cleaning this mess up. We as a people of the earth can be much better stewarts of the earth than we are today.
pyrangello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
Steven
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrangello View Post
Viking , there should be a real re-direction of focus from the global warming hoax to an intense effort to stop the garbage dumping by other countries and cruise ships and start cleaning this mess up. We as a people of the earth can be much better stewarts of the earth than we are today.
I can not agree more. Our crazy consumption is simply very unbalancing. Harmony can not be maintained if we waste and consume this way. There got to be a change in consciousness and I beleive it is coming...

Namaste, Steven
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #4
Céline
Avalon Senior Member

What do we do about it is the real question..

What action leads to such immense change?
Céline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
viking
Avalon Senior Member

Mmmm not sure if we have left it too late ... We'll keep trying hey...

heres a thought...
If we just wake up one person per day and each one you woke up would do the same...then you would increase exponentially... after lets say a year...people would be out of there slumber...

I have spoken to many...and they just don't get it...they are quite happy to stay in the loop, so to speak.

So I wonder if we will ever get past 50% let alone 90...

Yes conciousness is rising but we need more...

Are you doing your bit??

viking
Old 02-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
Céline
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking View Post
Are you doing your bit??

viking
Yes Sir.
Céline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
viking
Avalon Senior Member

Well I'm glad you are Celine...

Lets hope others are too...

It's all very well coming here educating and waking up ect ect...

BUT part of the deal is waking others up as well!!

viking

Last edited by viking; 02-18-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
no caste
Avalon Senior Member

viking - there are people doing something about this garbage vortex.

Project Kaisei - Capturing The Pacific Garbage Vortex (07-21-2009, 09:35 AM)
http://projectavalon.net/forum/showt...garbage+vortex

Maybe there is more going on than people believe a surfing company involved as a sponsor, lots of cooperation. It's a massive mess, little project.

If things work out there, it might help with the Indian Ocean and pharma dumping, developing techniques

hope so... kelp beds need help!
no caste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
FullyAwake
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrangello View Post
Just a couple of comments. First, I'm from the US and we're the biggest consumer - therefore biggest polluter in the world. This isn't a problem because of other countries and cruise ships nearly as much as it's a problem with over-consumption and the US is leading the way. Spend a few minutes looking at - oh say the food storage isle at your local Wal-Mart and you'll see what I mean, it's a sea of plastic.

We're making disposable items out of permanent material on a finite planet. That's guaranteed suicide. And remember - we've only been producing commercial plastics for 50 - 60 years and already we're choking the planet on our garbage. Think about that the next time you buy a bottle of water, a disposable diaper or something in a styrofoam cup.

The more you contemplate the problem the more you realize that for the earth and us to stand a chance we all need to stop consuming and stop reproducing immediately. We can't think that using a canvas shopping bag is going to solve this problem. Every bottle of water, every new car, every plastic storage bin that gets purchased is another nail in all our coffins and we Americans are the worst.
FullyAwake is offline   Reply With Quote