Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Archived Threads - Read Only

Notices

Archived Threads - Read Only For threads not posted in for 30 days

Old 09-09-2008, 06:31 AM   #1
Baggywrinkle

Default Keeping warm without fuel

How much fuel and what type of fuels should I store for an extended emergency situation?

A- I go into depth on fuels in my live classes, which I am working to get onto video. However, let's very briefly consider a few major points.
Everybody is going to have to evaluate their own circumstances and conditions. But first, what might you need fuel (energy) for?
Most often people think about cooking, lighting, sanitizing, processing, water heating and space heating as being major uses for fuels, other than for engines and vehicles.
You will need to evaluate and consider the merits and disadvantages of all types of fuels. I recommend that you learn and prepare to use several different ones. Wood, coal, paraffin, charcoal, naphtha, kerosene, alcohol, propane, solar and wind are some of the most common and readily available.
Often people seem most concerned about how to heat their home in winter.
There is one thing you can do to greatly reduce the massive amount of fuel it takes for winter space heating should your current method of heating be interrupted. The answer, don't be too concerned about trying to heat your house.
Almost immediately everybody says, "But I don't like a cold house."
The real issue is not about keeping your house warm, but rather keeping you warm. Do it with proper clothing.

Growing up, Jim Phillips and his dad Gil used to go camping almost every other weekend. Winter months were no exception and many snowshoeing trips were made to remote areas rarely seen during the winter months. With each winter trip they would push themselves and their gear further.
Eventually Gil Phillips realized that something had to change. He said, "we're not masochists. Either we need to find a better way of doing this or we're going to have to stop." Gil Phillips had tried every "traditional" way of keeping warm that he could find in books and from the so-called experts but still they were cold.

As an engineer Gil thought through the physics of staying warm and in 1962 discovered the use of Open Cell Polyurethane. Warm toes on the first expedition with the Polyurethane homemade boots was a wondrous revelation. Finally, warm feet!
Since it worked on the feet, why not try Polyurethane as insulation for the rest of the body? Eventually a complete outfit including tops, bottoms, boots, hats and gloves were made and now winter excursions were becoming truly magical. Gil and Jim could go anywhere and stay warm.
In 1967 Gil wanted to go on the ultimate snow camp. It was discovered that they could take a plane all the way up to the tip of Alaska in the middle of winter and so they went. When they landed in Alaska, the pilots tried for half an hour to convince them to get back on the plane and eventually took a picture of them since they didn't think they would ever see the two crazy Americans again. Gil and Jim spent two weeks unsupported on the northernmost tip of Alaska with a high of -10°F and had a magnificent trip. Their goofy, homemade clothing allowed them to stay warm and comfortable the entire trip.

Winter Camping, Another Method
By Jan E. Calister

"They may be laughing but it really works!" These were my thoughts as I looked over and noticed a couple of scout leaders and two or three scouts standing near the smoking fire trying to stay warm.
The nighttime temperature was near zero. Most of the scouts and leaders had retired early to their tents and sleeping bags to stay warm. I was sitting on an "ensolite" foam pad tucked in the hollow of a pile of snow - a comfortable snow chair - well away from the fire. The Coleman lantern provided adequate light as I thumbed through a book. I was warm and comfortable!
It was in November, 1984 that I noticed a small newspaper article titled, "Winter Camping Without Fire or Shelter." The article invited those who were interested in winter camping to attend a presentation on how to stay warm. Since I enjoyed both summer and winter outdoor activities, I jotted down the time and place of the presentation. It was at this presentation that I first met Jim Phillips. Jim was dressed in homemade puffy looking clothing and footwear that resembled Eskimo mukluks. I listened intently as Jim Phillips explained his methods of staying warm while
outdoors in winter. His claims concerning the warmth of his clothing during winters in Alaska were unbelievable and even comical, but yet, if true, it would be a considerable breakthrough in staying warm. I was even more amazed at the minimal costs for the clothing, boots, etc. that Jim was wearing. To learn more, I decided to sign up for a more extensive "Phillips" seminar on winter camping to be held in the early part of December.
There were thirty or forty men and women attending the two day seminar. Jim Phillips and two of his associates presented an extensive program on all aspects of winter camping, from your mental attitude to making your own clothing. Much of the information made sense, but did it really work? I decided that the only way to find out is to give it a try. After the seminar I began making a "Jim Phillips" wardrobe of winter clothing. My wife claimed that I had lost my sanity but she was willing to contribute her sewing knowledge to the project.
The annual "Klondike Derby," an overnight scout winter camp, was scheduled for January 25 and 26th, 1985. I was anxious to try out the homemade Eskimo mukluks and clothing.
The Salt Lake Valley had been enclosed in smog for several days but I knew that above the smog the sun was shinning and the nights clear and cold. The camp near Park City would be above the fog. I looked forward to the camp to be able to see the stars in the night sky. Friday afternoon we set up camp in three feet of soft snow. The boys and leaders of the other Boy Scout Troops were having much difficulty getting around in the deep snow.
The sun soon disappeared behind the Wasatch Mountains and the evening temperature began to plummet. After dinner, the warmth of the fire was the center of attraction. Most everyone was standing near to keep warm. Complaints could be heard concerning the bone chilling cold. I decided that this was the time to get the boys moving. It took some prodding to get the boys away from the warmth of the fire. We put on our cross-country skis and skied off into the dark. As the scouts began moving and working hard, their complaints of being cold diminished. It was enjoyable to be able to glide across the gentle snow fields with only the partial moon and stars for light. Our thoughts were diverted from the cold. But cross-country skiing could not last all night so we finally returned to camp.
All except the more hardy retired to tents and sleeping bags. My toes began to feel the all too familiar pain of the cold from standing on the snow. Now was the time to break out my homemade mukluks. Sitting on an "ensolite" foam pad, I took off my cross-country ski boots and wool socks exposing my bare feet to the zero degree temperature. Several watched, making comments as I slipped my bare feet into the mukluks. Within a few seconds the warmth returned to my aching toes and in two or three minutes my feet were radiant with warmth. I looked down at the strange puffy
boots completely astonished. They really worked! I them put on the homemade pants. With warm feet and the warmth of the pants I sat there in the snow completely warm and comfortable reading my book. I glanced over to the fire and observed a couple of boys and leaders stomping their feet and trying to keep warm.

http://www.jimsway.com/atjs1.html

http://outdoorsurvival.ws/forum/inde...he_Foam_System

http://www.preparemyfamily.com/eStor...dit_Movies.asp

Last edited by Baggywrinkle; 10-26-2008 at 11:59 PM.