Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Economy and Currency

Notices

Old 06-27-2009, 01:54 AM   #1
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Unhappy PETER SCHIFF on Glenn Beck Discussing Cap-and-Trade *Energy BILLS to nearly double

In case you haven't heard or haven't been paying attention your energy bills are about to increase by 90%.

Peter Schiff on Glenn Beck Discussing Cap-and-Trade, 6/25/09

Posted by Matt Hawes on 06/26/09 1:35 PM

Video (6:39) Source and Comments: http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=20729

Final House Vote on Cap-and-Trade

Posted by Matt Hawes on 06/26/09 6:43 PM

By a final vote of 219-212, HR 2454, the Cap-and-Tax scheme, has passed the House.

Eight Republicans switched over to make the final margin possible. These eight are:

Bono Mack
Castle
Kirk
Lance
LoBiondo
McHugh
Reichert
Smith (NJ)

See the full vote here. http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2009/roll477.xml

Since this is such a high priority issue for the Obama administration, it's amazing that the margin was this thin. Incredibly, 44 Democrats voted against the legislation. That would not have happened without your efforts.

Thanks to all those who called, faxed, and emailed. The fight moves to the Senate now, where the bill faces an uncertain future. We still have a very good chance to stop Cap-and-Trade.

SOURCE and COMMENTS: http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=20749

Vote Update 6/26/2009

House members are currently debating the Cap-and-Trade bill on the floor. (Click here http://cspan.org/Watch/C-SPAN_wm.aspx to watch C-SPAN's coverage.) And what a debate it has been. Quite a bit of time was just spent discussing whether or not the actual bill to be voted on was even in the chamber.

There is a very good chance the bill could go down. A procedural vote to get the bill to the floor barely passed by a 217-205 vote. Considering that this is such a high priority for the Obama administration, this very tight margin shows that your calls and letters have made an impact. Congressman Michael McCaul has heard from a considerable number of our supporters, and his office wants to make it clear that he is opposed to this cap-and-trade bill! :-)

As expected, changes are continuing to be made right up to the last minute (with the bill being amended to substitute in the text from HR 2998 ). Once again, none of the representatives have had a chance to read the 1,201 pages soon to be officially considered for passage.

Americans for Prosperity has put together a list of undecided and leaning representatives. Click here to see if your legislator is included.

A vote is now expected between 6:30-7:00 pm eastern tonight. Keep up the pressure!

Update: According to House Minority Leader John Boehner, a 300+ page amendment was introduced at 3:09 am. He just spent a little over an hour reading excerpts from the amendment to make people aware of what they're voting on. It appears that the first in a series of votes is now underway.

Update 2: The Republican substitute (amendment) was just defeated. Final vote taking place now.

SOURCE: http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=20742

Stop the Cap-and-Trade Bill

Posted by Matt Hawes on 06/25/09 09:55 AM

According to various reports, Congress will vote on "Cap-and-Trade" legislation this Friday. While it is a high priority item for the Obama administration, it appears that House Democrat leadership may yet fall short of the support needed to pass the bill come voting time.

This proposal, all 1,201 pages of it, has been rightly dubbed the "Cap-and-Tax" plan. Once again, Congress will impose a hidden tax on all of us while attempting to appear "proactive."

From an email sent Wednesday by C4L President John Tate:

Quote:
You see, energy companies just pass the costs of these draconian regulations through to the consumer in the form of huge price increases.

As a result, you will pay higher gas prices, higher electric prices, and higher costs for goods.

Barack Obama has estimated the costs of this legislation to American taxpayers to be over 650 BILLION dollars over the next eight years, and that figure is no doubt just a fraction of the real cost.

But even that modest estimate amounts to hundreds of dollars a year in increased living expenses for every family -- and will more likely cost thousands a year.

And according to the Heritage Foundation, between 1.2 and 2.3 million jobs could be lost over the next ten-years due to the bill's stifling regulations.

This current economic crisis is no time for Congress to consider both raising prices on hard-working Americans AND costing them jobs.

That's why we must act now to send a message to Congress to reject this disastrous Cap-and-Tax Scheme....

Supporters of the legislation are of course trying to downplay the cost of this scheme to the American people.

But if the bill does not directly and massively increase energy costs to consumers, how would it possibly achieve its stated aims?

It is only through these massive cost increases -- mandated and enforced by the federal government -- that the dubious goal of reducing carbon emissions could possibly be reached....
The Partnership for America's Energy Security has developed a chart of how HR 2454 could affect your state. Click here http://www.partnershipforenergy.com/...xmanmarkeyPDFS to view the potential impact on your family and local areas.

Contact your representative and let them know you oppose putting further regulations on an already over-burdened industry. This Cap-and-Trade legislation will reach government's hands further into our pockets and increase the power of their agencies to control our lives. Visit your state page http://www.campaignforliberty.com/usa.php today for congressional contact information and urge your representative to vote against HR 2454.

SOURCE and COMMENTS: http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=20622

Last edited by peaceandlove; 06-28-2009 at 06:50 AM.
peaceandlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
Northern Boy
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: PETER SCHIFF on Glenn Beck Discussing Cap-and-Trade *Energy BILLS to nearly doubl

You can expect millions of dollars to be thrown at the tree police when they are created , the out lawing of wood burning stove`s and fireplaces I`m sure as they will have no way to regulate those carbons people will be forced to turn in any and all used oil`s cooking oil motor oil will not be allowed to be kept as a possible alternative fuel
Northern Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: PETER SCHIFF on Glenn Beck Discussing Cap-and-Trade *Energy BILLS to nearly doubl

Great Insight Northern Boy!

Cap and Trade Bubble

Posted by mrtomwoods on 06/27/09 4:13 PM

There is a great article that recently came out in Rolling Stone exposing Goldman Sachs for their role in "The Great American Bubble Machine. It also points out how Congress and the Goldman Sachs Whitehouse are willing participants in the next bubble to come... The Cap and Trade Bubble.

Goldman Sachs and the politicians who back them are sure to be handsomely rewarded financially for backing the next bubble behind the Dot Com, Mortgage, and Oil and commodity bubbles.

The energy bill is not about saving the environment ..it is about big money and power for the super rich and their puppetts in Washington.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/16752803/T...Bubble-Machine

SOURCE: http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=20803

Cap & Tr8tors have until July 2nd to CHANGE their Votes?

Posted by RobPepe on 06/27/09 12:34 PM

This is from a thread on the DailyPaul. It suggests that the Cap & Tr8tors have until July 2nd to change their votes. Can we still score a victory for liberty?!

Cap & Tr8tors! http://www.dailypaul.com/node/97723

SOURCE: http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=20795

Last edited by peaceandlove; 06-28-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

What will be the tipping point that will make the public join together in some constructive way?
Seashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

When they run out of their drugs. When the TV does not medicate anymore. When they can't feed their children. When they can't afford gas. When they can't afford beer. When they can't afford cigarettes. When they are taxed to oblivion. When they have "lost everything and have nothing left to loose." Gerald Celente

This is usually when the addict has hit bottom.

Then they wake up!

I'm meditating that when they do wake up it will be peaceful!

It's not wise to wake a sleeping bear!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Last edited by peaceandlove; 06-28-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceandlove View Post
When they run out of their drugs. When the TV does not medicate anymore. When they can't feed their children. When they can't afford gas. When they can't afford beer. When they can't afford cigarettes. When they are taxed to oblivion. When they have "lost everything and have nothing left to loose." Gerald Celente

This is usually when the addict has hit bottom.

Then they wake up!

I'm meditating that when they do wake up it will be peaceful!

It's not wise to wake a sleeping bear!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
peaceandlove,

I know you're right.

My heart is aching...
Old 06-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #7
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

I guess we might get a feel for what's happening this coming 4th of July. We can probably gauge by how many more tea parties there are how people are really feeling. I know I'm mad as H3LL.

Campaign for Liberty has contacted me to participate in an upcoming local PARTAY!

My feeling is it is my patriotic duty to volunteer and peacefully hand out Campaign for Liberty and Ron Paul literature.

YIKES, I may end up in a file somewhere. Please send me some white light that day, so I can blind the cameras!!!

Anyone want to volunteer a number or e-mail address in case I need bailing out?

Last edited by peaceandlove; 06-28-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
I guess we might get a feel for what's happening this coming 4th of July. We can probably gauge by how many more tea parties there are how people are really feeling. I know I'm mad as H3LL.

Campaign for Liberty has contacted me to participate in an upcoming local PARTAY!

My feeling is it is my patriotic duty to volunteer and peacefully hand out Campaign for Liberty and Ron Paul literature.

YIKES, I may end up in a file somewhere. Please send me some white light that day, so I can blind the cameras!!!

Anyone want to volunteer a number or e-mail address in case I need bailing out?
The 4th is right around the corner!!

Please provide a link to the event you're talking about...
Old 06-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Gladly...

July Fourth TEA PARTY

Posted by mattgeb84 on 06/15/09 5:16 PM

dont forget about the tea parties that will be happening on July 4th

their is one being held at the boston commons, everyone please show up and show your support

here is the link

FIND ONE NEAR YOU! http://www.teapartyday.com/Locations.aspx

SOURCE: http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=20023

Last edited by peaceandlove; 06-29-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #10
sleepingnomore

They are trying to wear us down with this nonsense, all the hidden agendas in legislation. It's been happening since the birth of our country but never to this degree. I'm tired of congressional votes being bought and paid for with either perks, favors or outright bribes disregarding the people they are supposed to represent. Time for one big toilet flush of the whole Washington system and the lobbyists who perpetuate this travesty.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingnomore View Post

...Time for one big toilet flush of the whole Washington system and the lobbyists who perpetuate this travesty.
How can we pull this off?
Old 06-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
sleepingnomore

How about a global visualization?
Old 06-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #13
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
I think it's hard to organize something like that.

But maybe all the thoughts that are expressed on this internet is going to help. I hope so!
Old 06-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #14
waitinginthewings
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
if your talking about a visualization of flushing the Washington crowd down the toilet......now you've got my attention. I would love to hear the visuals for this one Care to create a visualization for us......I'd be happy to do it
waitinginthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:27 PM   #15
sleepingnomore

Just post a time and everyone can do it individually. Here's a little encouragement for the flush

Old 06-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #16
waitinginthewings
Avalon Senior Member

ah.....you read my mind before I even posted.....be water my friends in Washington
waitinginthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #17
sleepingnomore

Funny how that works...lol. I'd be glad to come up with some specifics if we can get enough people interested.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:54 PM   #18
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks sleepingnomore, waitinginthewings and seashore.

I feel your pain!

Looks like these Democrats got off the cr4pper and are no longer wiping 4sses!

BOLDLY GO WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE

Credit Where Credit Is Due

Posted by Andrew Ward on 06/27/09 10:44 AM

Despite being under considerable pressure from the Obama administration and Democratic House leadership, the following 44 Democrats voted against Cap-and-Trade (HR 2454). It may be worth our time to thank them for doing the right thing.

Altmire
Arcuri
Barrow
Berry
Boren
Bright
Carney
Childers
Costa
Costello
Dahlkemper
Davis (AL)
Davis (TN)
DeFazio
Donnelly (IN)
Edwards (TX)
Ellsworth
Foster
Griffith
Herseth Sandlin
Holden
Kirkpatrick (AZ)
Kissell
Kucinich
Marshall
Massa
Matheson
McIntyre
Melancon
Minnick
Mitchell
Mollohan
Nye
Ortiz
Pomeroy
Rahall
Rodriguez
Ross
Salazar
Stark
Tanner
Taylor
Visclosky
Wilson (OH)

SOURCE and COMMENTS: http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=20787

Last edited by peaceandlove; 06-28-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:55 PM   #19
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitinginthewings View Post
if your talking about a visualization of flushing the Washington crowd down the toilet......now you've got my attention. I would love to hear the visuals for this one Care to create a visualization for us......I'd be happy to do it
Quote:
Funny how that works...lol. I'd be glad to come up with some specifics if we can get enough people interested.

Last edited by Seashore; 06-28-2009 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #20
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:

...Despite being under considerable pressure from the Obama administration and Democratic House leadership, the following 44 Democrats voted against Cap-and-Trade (HR 2454). It may be worth our time to thank them for doing the right thing.

Altmire
Arcuri
Barrow
Berry
Boren
Bright
Carney
Childers
Costa
Costello
Dahlkemper
Davis (AL)
Davis (TN)
DeFazio
Donnelly (IN)
Edwards (TX)
Ellsworth
Foster
Griffith
Herseth Sandlin
Holden
Kirkpatrick (AZ)
Kissell
Kucinich
Marshall
Massa
Matheson
McIntyre
Melancon
Minnick
Mitchell
Mollohan
Nye
Ortiz
Pomeroy
Rahall
Rodriguez
Ross
Salazar
Stark
Tanner
Taylor
Visclosky
Wilson (OH)

SOURCE and COMMENTS: http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=20787
Great post!! Good idea!!

I see my congressman (Moran) was not among them...
Old 06-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #21
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

FEVER I AM'S FEVER MUST BE GONE!

He's up and running again.

He offers his commentary on Cap-and-Trade and others:

Don't Panic! The Bill that Kills the American Dream

Video (14:32):

HR 2454 Summary: American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009
SOURCE: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...54&tab=summary

Paranoid Rantings!
Karl Denninger
June 25, 2009
SOURCE: http://market-ticker.denninger.net/a...-Rantings.html

Last edited by peaceandlove; 06-29-2009 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:16 AM   #22
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

IN CASE YOU HADN'T READ RON PAUL'S RECENT TEXAS STRAIGHT TALK posted under Ron Paul "New Era of Slavery" I'm posting it here also due to its relevance to this thread.

Cap and Trade Will Lead to Capital Flight
By Ron Paul
Published 06/29/09

In my last column, I joked that with public spending out of control and the piling on of the international bailout bill, economic collapse seems to be the goal of Congress. It is getting harder to joke about such a thing however, as the non-partisan General Accounting Office (GAO) has estimated that the administration's health care plan would actually cost over a trillion dollars. This reality check may have given us a temporary reprieve on this particular disastrous policy, however an equally disastrous energy policy reared its ugly head on Capitol Hill last week.

The Cap and Trade Bill HR 2454 was voted on last Friday. Proponents claim this bill will help the environment, but what it really does is put another nail in the economy's coffin. The idea is to establish a national level of carbon dioxide emissions, and sell pollution permits to industry as the Catholic Church used to sell indulgences to sinners. HR 2454 also gives federal bureaucrats new power to regulate a wide variety of household appliances, such as light bulbs and refrigerators, and further distorts the market by providing more of your tax money to auto companies.

CONTINUES and COMMENTS: http://www.campaignforliberty.com/ar...cuss=1#discuss
Old 06-30-2009, 05:15 AM   #23
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Carbon Credits: A Scam (I've always wanted to use this emoticon, close enough. )

Monday, June 29. 2009
Karl Denninger

Ok, I don't usually wade into the entire "global warming" schism on this board, preferring to write about it on Musings instead.

But this is going to hit the economy, and as such I'm compelled to do so.

You have to be living under a rock to not know that The House passed an "energy bill" late Friday that includes what amounts to a carbon tax via so-called "cap and trade."

Let's first define what this is - "Cap and Trade" is a taxation system when what you do (commercially) that causes carbon dioxide to be emitted into the atmosphere is subject to tax, as a disincentive to do so.

The justification for this, as Krugman [Betraying the Planet http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/29/op...gman.html?_r=1 ](and others) claim, is:
And as I watched the deniers make their arguments, I couldn’t help thinking that I was watching a form of treason — treason against the planet.

To fully appreciate the irresponsibility and immorality of climate-change denial, you need to know about the grim turn taken by the latest climate research.
To read the rest of Paul's screed you have to be ignorant of basic mathematics. Not calculus, not differential equations, not even geometry or trig.

Math. Fifth-grade stuff. You know, grade-school - specifically, percentages.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that the "global warming" folks are right. I am not sold, but for the purpose of this discussion I'll grant the hypothesis that man is causing the planet to get warmer as a consequence of his emission of CO2 (sequestered millions of years ago into the earth's crust and elsewhere) into the atmosphere.

Here's the problem: North America has about 330 million people in it, most of them in The United States. That's a lot of people.

But Asia has 4 billion people living in it, or more than 10 times as many. And unfortunately most of them are living at a vastly inferior standard of living compared to ours. Africa has about 970 million people (three times North America), and again, nearly all are living vastly below our standard of living.

We're 1/15th of the population in question and nearly all of the rest of the people involved are going to dramatically increase their per-capita CO2 output whether we like it or not.

Herein lies the problem: While we emit more CO2 per-capita than anyone else today, we won't be emitting the most CO2 for very long on an aggregate basis.

To actually stop the increase in CO2 emissions we would have to find some way to compel the Asians and Africans to not increase their CO2 emissions.

But all possible means for them to improve their standard of living inherently involve significant and even dramatic increases in CO2 emissions per-capita.

The math is simple: Within a few years China will emit more CO2 than we will. A few years after that both Africa and India will surpass the United States. None of these regions will agree to stop emitting CO2 because to do so is to agree to keep their people perpetually poor and agrarian while we enjoy the fruits of a westernized, industrialized economy.

That's not going to happen and yet without it happening no amount of bleating about "climate change" or laws passed to curtail our CO2 output will do a thing for the climate of the planet. It will not make any material difference to the outcome; indeed, oil companies have said that they will simply move refining and other operations to nations without such pacts (like India and China!) to avoid the tax, and pass through any impact in the US directly to consumers.

The amount of CO2 emitted will not go down, but your costs will go up, making the only net effect economic: you will be poorer and whatever man-made effect exists on the climate will continue to exist.

If we were truly interested in the welfare of the planet we would recognize that short of thermonuclear war developing nations are not going to agree to stop developing. We would thus divert our attention toward dealing with the changes that come with our planet's climate, whether it is in fact warming due to our activity or whether the changes in climate are more mundane (read: due to the sun.) We would thus deploy our money where it could actually do some good, such as flood control and population relocation, along with modifying farming and other production resources to be able to suit changing climactic conditions.

Instead we have so-called "economists" like Krugman who are incapable of doing basic 5th grade math resorting to emotional pleas to try to guilt us into ignoring the basic mathematical facts: this bill will do nothing to address any actual problem and can't, simply because the lions share of the people on the planet will not agree to go along with any plan we might formulate - and this assumes the "global warming" crowd is right.

SOURCE: http://market-ticker.denninger.net/a...ts-A-Scam.html
Old 06-30-2009, 07:33 AM   #24
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Cap and Trade and Consistency

Posted by Matt Hawes on 06/29/09 7:26 PM

Video (5:13):
SOURCE and COMMENTS: http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=20918
Old 07-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #25
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Cap and Trade Equals Fraud and Tax

By Glenn Jacobs
Published 07/01/09

H.R. 2454: American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009 will result in a totalitarian centralization of the American economy in the administrative agencies of the federal government, especially the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). This 1,300 page horror is a prime example of congressional modus operandi -- no one in Congress actually had the opportunity to read the bill which was, incidentally, being amended as it was debated on the floor. As H.R. 2454 shows, this axiom still holds true: the more benign the title of a congressional bill, the more draconian its contents. After all, who could be against clean energy or security? The real goal of H.R. 2454 has nothing to do with either of these; it is a power grab, pure and simple.

While we have all heard much about the tax implications of H.R. 2454 and that every American family could see a $3,000 a year increase in their energy costs, H.R. 2454 does much more than that. H.R. 2454 is a fascistic fait accompli, giving the government expansive powers to regulate, subsidize, and tax more sectors of the economy. The bill authorizes more federal government control over the electrical grid, state and local building codes, lighting and appliances, industry, the financial markets, and, perhaps most ominously of all, the health care system. In addition, it includes wealth redistribution measures and would allow increases in foreign aid.

Continues: http://www.campaignforliberty.com/article.php?view=126