Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
Carmen
Avalon Senior Member

Default What Happened?

I found myself unable to get back on Avalon, then when I did recallone and I were the only ones!

Talk about "Lonely Planet"

Carmen
Carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
recallone
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: What Happened?

...with a handful of other 'guests'. Not to stoke the paranoia fire or anything. That was weird. It did it twice.

and right as I was about to post some links...
recallone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
Carmen
Avalon Senior Member

This is strange, sort of like the power going off!!!

Shall I light a candle
Old 03-18-2009, 07:33 AM   #4
torz
Avalon Senior Member

hmmmmm and me, gremlins in the system..... probs server dowm time..
torz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:37 AM   #5
Carmen
Avalon Senior Member

Doesn't seem to be any one country, I mean, you are in UK torz, recallone is in California and Im in New Zealand? So we are sort of evenly distributed round the globe.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #6
Wormhole
Avalon Senior Member

Same as that my friends. I also was cubed out. I have this happen all the time, but I am glad to see us all seeing it as a group. Thank you.

Peace of Mind.
Wormhole
Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
Wormhole
Avalon Senior Member

Remember, we are being watched.
Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #8
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

I've been finding my internet provider keeps going down...I constantly have to unplug my modem..and reboot the connection.
Several time the provider is just down...I've called them and they say they are working on it...the strange thing is I have a different provider at work, and at time I've noticed the site going down from work...or at least very slow as compared to the other sites on my work computer. I have many restrictions on my work computer...but that should not cause the slow down I experience.
I did not know we were down last night..I was off the site at the time this happened Carmen....don't know what to say
BROOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
rhythm
Avalon Senior Member

Carmen that has happend to me
3 times on avalon ...and to other as well !!
seem its the sever ,so im told !!!
and somtimes its real slooooooooooooow wwwww
rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #10
giovonni
Avalon Senior Member

Question Re: What Happened?

Hi Carmen and too all!
I'll second that BROOK, my router got knocked out last nite> just came back on.
Connecting to the forum, is starting to be a daily problem for me?? gio
giovonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #11
Colin

This problem has already been answered HERE folks..nothing nefarious occured..

That's the problem with having a [insert appropriate expletive/s] host, being on a shared server..and having miserly allowable database connections

Welcome to the Internet! Aint technology a wonderful thing..

..and moving this thread to General Discussion
Old 03-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #12
WiNaDeYo
Avalon Senior Member

Do any of you realize that we are right in the middle of a Solar Wind Storm?

Take a look here.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N45_2yuRo-k&fmt=18

And take a look at this...scroll down to the post with the graphs....indescribable!!!

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread445084/pg1

Maybe one of you computer pros could get those picts up for all to see here on Avalon, eh?

Peace and Good Will!
WiNaDeYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #13
Carmen
Avalon Senior Member

Wow, WiNaDeYo, Those pictures are amazing. Maybe could explain some of the anomalies that we are experiencing

Cheers

Carmen
Old 03-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #14
WiNaDeYo
Avalon Senior Member

Yeah, Carmen...I nearly fell over when I saw those!

I've been having problems big problems on the net and I thought it was my pc (which wouldn't be anything new) until I stumbled onto this info.

Another thing is that here in northern Italy, we've had a big change in the weather almost overnight! from -2°C to 28° in three days! The fruit trees and bulbs are out and blooming way too early. If I sit out in the sunshine, it feels like it's cooking the muscles under the skin...scarey! I also read somewhere (maybe on spaceweather.com) that it's to get worse on the 20th.

Dantheman.....you usually are the one to keep us updated on the sun's activity!!! We need your comments, please!
WiNaDeYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #15
Swanny
I dont need a label !

It's like summer where I am I even caught the sun on monday (had to let it go though as it was really hot)
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #16
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Thumbs up Re: What Happened?

Quote:
CORONAL HOLE:
Extreme UV telescopes onboard the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) are monitoring a dark hole in the sun's atmosphere

Coronal holes are vast regions where the sun's magnetic field opens up and allows the solar wind to escape. A stream of solar wind flowing from this hole is heading for Earth now. Arctic sky watchers should be alert for Northern Lights when it arrives late on March 12th or March 13th.
So when the sun has wind we have to take cover

Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:53 AM   #17
EarthBowl
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
So when the sun has wind we have to take cover

EarthBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:00 AM   #18
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:23 AM   #19
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

The Solar Wind
The solar wind streams off of the Sun in all directions at speeds of about 400 km/s (about 1 million miles per hour). The source of the solar wind is the Sun's hot corona. The temperature of the corona is so high that the Sun's gravity cannot hold on to it. Although we understand why this happens we do not understand the details about how and where the coronal gases are accelerated to these high velocities. This question is related to the question of coronal heating.
Click on image for larger version.
Solar Wind Variations

The solar wind is not uniform. Although it is always directed away from the Sun, it changes speed and carries with it magnetic clouds, interacting regions where high speed wind catches up with slow speed wind, and composition variations. The solar wind speed is high (800 km/s) over coronal holes and low (300 km/s) over streamers. These high and low speed streams interact with each other and alternately pass by the Earth as the Sun rotates. These wind speed variations buffet the Earth's magnetic field and can produce storms in the Earth's magnetosphere.
The Ulysses spacecraft has now completed one orbit through the solar system during which it passed over the Sun's south and north poles. Its measurements of the solar wind speed, magnetic field strength and direction, and composition have provided us with a new view of the solar wind.
The Advanced Composition Explorer (ACE) satellite was launched in August of 1997 and placed into an orbit about the L1 point between the Earth and the Sun. The L1 point is one of several points in space where the gravitational attraction of the Sun and Earth are equal and opposite. This particular point is located about 1.5 million km (1 million miles) from the Earth in the direction of the Sun. ACE has a number of instruments that monitor the solar wind and the spacecraft team provides real-time information on solar wind conditions at the spacecraft.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:41 AM   #20
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

I don't know what to think about that youtube video and the ATS link, even though it shows our magnetosphere fluctuating I'm not convinced it's from a solar wind storm. There's nothing indicated anywhere that there was a solar wind storm of any kind. In fact the sun has been very calm and isn't even in the maximum activity part of it's solar cycle yet.

The maximum activity solar cycle won't happen until 2012 or there abouts, and everything I've checked really doesn't even show any sunspots on the sun. The last big solar storm was around 2003, and before that about 2001, which just happens to be around the last maximum activity solar cycle.

The solar cycle is approx. every 11.1 years which if the last max. cycle was around 2001 then the next would be around 2012. We're actually now in a minimum activity part of the cycle.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:45 AM   #21
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Here's a picture of the solar activity cycle, and you can see which years have very minimum and maximum activity. These are real pictures taken from ESA's SOHO observatory.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:21 AM   #22
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

So to finish I would say it's nothing to worry about. That's what our magnetosphere is for, to protect us from stuff like that from the sun. Now there is a hole or two in our magnetosphere but everything would have to happen just right to cause damage to us.

Not everything the sun produces, like coronal mass ejections, and solar winds, are directed at earth. We aren't just a sitting target for the sun, it has bursts that go all over, so for us to really sustain any damage the sun would have to have an ejection pointed right at the spot where our magnetosphere is weakest, and it would have to be during the maximum activity part of the solar cycle to cause the worst damage.

But I think it's very important to keep an eye on the sun during the next 3 years as it will have increasing activity from now until 2012 and 2013 which will be max cycle activity. You can see a real time picture of the sun updated daily here...........

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/ASE08Y9KOYC_Protecting_0.html
Old 03-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #23
rhythm
Avalon Senior Member

Wow Amazin stuff

most interasting

thanks for the info

guys , what an eye

opener woweee ...

im so blessed to have you

guys around with all your knowledge ......
rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #24
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Our system has been going down repeatedly this past month but that is due to the increased humidity from all the rain we have been getting. We even got out the hair dryer and used it on the airport system then voila.. working again. However, it is odd that so many of us around the globe are experiencing one type of internet problem or another.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:20 AM   #25
voltron
Avalon Senior Member

Smile Re: What Happened?

As I understand it this is the way we are all going to become IN - LIGHT - EN - ED. wE ALL ABSORBE THE LIGHT. wE DON'T NEED ARTIFICIAL "THINGS ANY MORE. wE WILL CREATE EVERYTHING WE WISH IN THE 4TH DIMENSION whichis what is coming. HALLILUYA!
voltron is offline   Reply With Quote