Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Spirituality

Notices

Old 05-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Default Victim Mentality

I am impressed with this term.

What is it? Is it the underlying belief that people have that they're practically powerless to control what happens to them? That's my attempt to define it...

I just learned this term about a year ago, but now it seems paramount in importance to me, because I think Stewart Swerdlow is right when he says that's what our (the human race) problem is, and that's what we have to overcome if we're going to succeed in healing our troubled world...

So, I would like to ask members to share their ideas about how to overcome victim mentality.
Seashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Victim Mentality

I've already posted this on another thread, but I like it so much I want to post it here, too. I think it applies.

This is a YouTube video demonstrating qi gong, defined in the dictionary as "a Chinese system of prescribed physical exercises or movements performed in a meditative state."

I think doing something like this would make a person feel strong inside:

"Kuan Yin Standing Qigong Part 1 - Sheng Zhen"
Old 05-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
Jnana
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
So, I would like to ask members to share their ideas about how to overcome victim mentality.
If you haven't read it yet, check out "Handbook for the New Paradigm" which is available various places on the net including the Avalon Ark Library here. It discusses at length the issue of victim mentality and how to overcome it.

For starters, STOP focusing on those who you believe to be in control. You give them power by focusing on them. STOP focusing on doomsday scenarios. You make them more likely by focusing on them. STOP following anyone and START thinking for yourself. Focus on the future you want, a future that we can all be proud of, that is for the best and highest good of all. START making it happen, in whatever ways present themselves to you. Make it your personal responsibility.

You can only be controlled if you continue to forget what you are - an amazingly powerful sovereign being.

Selfishness is also an important part of the victim mentality. Becoming unselfish, focusing more on the needs of others and doing something about it, is a good way to start.
Jnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
Moxie
Avalon Senior Member

In order to have victim mentality, one must also have oppressors, or what is perceived as oppressors.

What or who controls you? A person, emotions, a chemical or food?

When something takes over your life to the degree where it controls you, you create a mind-pattern that says “outside forces can and do control me” (Blue Blood, True Blood, Swerdlow).

You can also be a victim via ignorance, having no awareness. An example would be drinking fluoridated water. Taking medications just because the FDA approves them. Not investigating ingredients such as food colors & artificial ingredients & their affects on the brain & body.

Religious upbringings & beliefs may create guilt, shame & unworthiness.

Victim mentality can look like there are those that Have and those that Have Not. Judgment, blame and not taking responsibility are all symptoms of victim mentality.

This world seems to be all about this contrast of victim/oppressor.
And, truly, it’s an inside job to discern your own portions of either or both aspects and to actively Release limiting patterns.

Excerpted from Blue Blood, True Blood:
What is the difference between the Illuminati and you?
They do not have a victim mentality. They do not have an inferiority complex. They do not have low self-worth issues. They do not have guilt issues. They do not have issues of lack. They do not live in denial. They do not place limitations on themselves. They do have high levels of self-worth. They do believe that they are superior. They do believe that they deserve the best. They do have a winner’s mentality. They do know their purpose. They do know they have secret knowledge. They do know that they have power to influence society. They do have a global consciousness.

When you change your mind pattern… you will no longer perceive the Illuminati as a threat… study them closely. They are some of your greatest teachers.
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
tone3jaguar
Avalon Senior Member

I call it Victimitis. I learned this term from a book on business management called "Flight off the Buffalo". It is a low vibrational state of consciousness where in you view everything that happens in you reality as an attack on your mind a body. The opposite would be viewing everything that happens in your reality as part of the system of learning that your higher self is laying out in front of you. This victimitis consciousness is what the majority of individuals who immerse themselves in negative media propaganda end up accidentally falling into. This includes negative alternative media. It is easy to get out of once you decide to take a step outside the box and view your life as if you where an outside observer.
tone3jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
futureyes
Avalon Senior Member

victim mentality ... two very significant words in this time place ...

many of us find our selves here ... in victim mode ... we're human ... of course we will visit here from time to time ... it is so we remember a particular lesson ... retrieve it ... but then move on ...
NOT ... remain playing this role ...

how is it then that we find our selves stuck here ... like a hamster on a wheel ... going round and round and feeling the fear of jumping off at some point ... what holds us here ...

i believe it is our ingraining ... thinking we are powerless ... can't pull our selves from playing this role ... our power we give away to others so we are left feeling helpless ... helpless is good when we wish not to take responsibility for what we have created ... remaining victims ... meek ... the ... "i can't do it ... i'm afraid to .. oh looky poor me ... look where this life has placed me ... i am so helpless ... i am so weak ... i really am so powerless ..."

this really does allow us the satisfaction of feeling some kind of "good" emotion ... we like that ... we like it when others feel fool compassion for us ... bask in it for a bit ... feel wanted ... special even ...
ok ok ... be it that ... but there comes a point in time that this no longer works ... and it shouldn't ... it isn't meant to ...

time to get off the wheel ... take ownership for our actions ... stop feeling so sorry for our selves ... start knowing we DO have power ... stop giving it away ... start living responsibly in all ways ...

why do we keep falling into this victim mentality trap ... why does this continue to happen to us ...
it is because we allow it ... and it's not happening TO us ... life ... all of it ... happens FOR us ... only the victim thinks they have no power and all happens to them ...

go back ... back into this life experience ... is there something still remaining there that hasn't been cleaned up?
is there an emotion or are there several emotional experiences that we have simply placed on the back burner hoping they will just disappear?

they don't ever just disappear ...

most often we fall back into victim mentality because we have NOT ... healed from our past fear experiences ...

time to do this ... locate our courage ... go back ... dig deep ... locate the fear emotion ... the one that had pained us back when ... bring it to the surface ... dark to light ... understand its teaching ... file that lesson ... release the emotion finally ... clean it up ... know you may not have had the power to do that prior but that was then ... now we DO have the strength to do so ... the energy supports us exponentially now to do this ...

face the fear ... what's not allowing us to move forward ... go back and find that what we believe holds us in its grip ... continuously trapping us as victims for we are not that ...

we are not fear ... we are not victims of this life experience ...

we are love ... creators of this beautiful life we have chosen to experience ...

why do we choose to drive our vehicles forward but continue looking in our rearview mirrors for the past ... our past ... what sense of security does this give us ...
always looking backwards ... how do we focus all our energy with what is ahead of us ... it isn't possible ... let's just forget the rearview mirrors even exist ... there is only what is in front of us ... this way there's no way we'll be trapped into victim mentality ...

once we've driven like this for awhile ... not looking back ... it becomes natural to us ... let us be flexible and not so rigid ... let us say we CAN ... rather than we cannot ...

when we play the victim role ... we are conveying to the universe who allowed us the opportunity of this life experience ... "hey ... thanks for this life ... rather than expanding in all ways ... i choose to simply take a back seat ... allow others to drive my vehicle ... i wish not to take responsibility for what happens ... i'll just coast ... after all ... i'm quite powerless ... i am fearful ... i am weak ... poor little me ..."
what a slap in the face this is ... to the universe ... to our purpose ... to this earth ... to others ... but mostly ... to our selves ...
this is conveying we have forgotten who we are ... true gods of creation ... power ... love and light ...

can we see how we got to where we are as a whole in this regard?
so many of us deciding to simply coast ...

we cannot move forward whilst in victim mentality ... it isn't possible ... the new world has a sign posted just outside of it ... NO VICTIMS ALLOWED BEYOND THIS POINT ...

and ... by not moving onwards to freedom ... to expand to our true potentiality ... how we were meant to live ... in love ...
we remain as victims ... victims of this life experience ... forgetting what really is ...

and this is very sad ...

we must do what we can to move onwards ... if this relates for us to face our fears and clean that up ... find our truth ...
to finally move from the victims we sometimes think we are ... to freedom of such ...

then let's do it ... the more this worlds fear that gets cleaned up ... the better for all ...
and we are all ... a part of this individually ... we all need to heal ... raises vibration upon this earth when we do ...

one person ... then another ... how about one more ...
how about many ...
how about we raise this planet's vibration through the sky ...

how about we all finally pull our selves out of the victim mentality we believe we are held to ... we are not that ... not at all ...

true ... it will feel like **** to do this but it will only be TEMPORARY ... short lived ... we heal and we move onwards ...

how long has it been now that we have felt we have very little or no power?
this life experience?
past lives?

well ... that's about enough now ... this is why we're here at this juncture ... we have so much assisting us in this moment to move from what was to what is ... and create what will be ...

victim mentality must be released ... we need to take responsibility for our actions ... we can do this ...

clean it up ... heal from it ...

it is enough ...

release the fear ... release the victim ...

know love ... feel love ... be love ...

with love

futureyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
Sarahmay
Avalon Senior Member

I think we all know people who exemplify victim mentality.

The "poor me" person, who has health problems they blame on the doctor, work problems they blame on the boss, family problems they blame on the wife and kids. And they use this to emotionally manipulate the people around them. There is a huge payoff for these individuals--they DON'T have to take responsibility for the **** they have created in their life.

It is easy to go up the line and blame the Illluminati, NWO, US gov't, organized religion, corporations, the banking industry....for everything that is wrong in this world and our own microcosm. How convenient to put it all onto THEM!

The truth is that we give away our own power when we believe that others control our circumstances. We are constantly putting out energy and getting back equivalent energy--so if we put out negative energy, guess what happens? I see this so clearly in my life, having beautiful synchronistic events present themselves to me when I am open to accepting them. It is hard sometimes to watch others struggle when they are clearly sabotaging themselves.
Sarahmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #8
futureyes
Avalon Senior Member

we ARE what we create ... we CREATE what we are ...

we can finally come to see this ... or not ...

take responsibility ... or not ...

we can break free of the old ... or not ...

create the new ... or not ...

and if we do ... we live the new ...

and if we don't ... we won't ...

pretty simple equation ... why do we complicate it so ...

because we fear ...

who do we fear ... do we really fear the doers of evil ...

or ...

do we fear who we really are ...

do we fear the knowing of our own power ...

do we intuitively fear it for it is the means to finally change this world ...

do we really want change ...

look within ... what is it we really fear ...

Old 05-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
Sarahmay
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureyes View Post
we ARE what we create ... we CREATE what we are ...

we can finally come to see this ... or not ...

take responsibility ... or not ...

we can break free of the old ... or not ...

create the new ... or not ...

and if we do ... we live the new ...

and if we don't ... we won't ...

pretty simple equation ... why do we complicate it so ...

because we fear ...

who do we fear ... do we really fear the doers of evil ...

or ...

do we fear who we really are ...

do we fear the knowing of our own power ...

do we intuitively fear it for it is the means to finally change this world ...

do we really want change ...

look within ... what is it we really fear ...

Oh, this is all so true. THEY don't want us to know how powerful we are!
Sarahmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmay View Post
Oh, this is all so true. THEY don't want us to know how powerful we are!
Yeah, and we need to accept responsibility!
Old 05-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #11
futureyes
Avalon Senior Member

Smile Re: Victim Mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashore View Post
not next week ... not tomorrow ...

today ...

let's do it today ...

the time is now ...

no procrastinating ... no "to do" lists ...

today's the day ...

Old 05-21-2009, 06:53 PM   #12
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
not next week ... not tomorrow ...

today ...

let's do it today ...

the time is now ...

no procrastinating ... no "to do" lists ...

today's the day ...

You're inspiring me!!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:38 PM   #13
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Yes!

Victim mentality is essentially irresponsible. It also suggests a predisposition to the notion that one will be rescued or looked after. (Not gonna happen!)

We have to clean up our own mess, even if we were tricked or misled into the actions which got us here.
A..

Last edited by Anchor; 05-21-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:45 PM   #14
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post

We have to clean up our own mess, even if we were tricked or misled into the actions which got us here.
A..
Exactly. And we will reap the benefits!
Old 05-22-2009, 01:02 AM   #15
alyscat
Avalon Senior Member

FWIW, IMHO, there are 2 things working here. You can say you create your reality (and I believe we do) - But still things "happen" - so does that mean you haven't created them? Can't be sure, but the one thing I know for sure is that we are in total charge of our reactions to them - Oh, you might have a moment of annoyance or a moment of helplessness, but on the whole, you have choices to make about how you are going to react, or even perceive a situation.

An example, I have a solar guy, recommended by my builder. I LOVE my builder. The solar guy seems disorganized, (I mean, I had to provide the compass on his first visit - how disorganized is that?). Not only that, but certain situations look like he's overcharging me - he doesn't really know how to quote an install - I have some choices - I can look it as disorganization, or I can look at it as a deliberate attempt to scr*w me. One of those "judgments" leaves me feeling a whole lot better than the other. If I think I"m easily scr*wed, everyone does it, I'm a victim. If I think, he's disorganized and it's up to me to stay on top of it, then I'm not.

Perception is everything - including our self-perception.
Alys
alyscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:31 AM   #16
TraineeHuman
Avalon Senior Member

It's interesting how quickly a small kitten can unlearn feeling very powerless. If you take a very shy small kitten and keep putting your little finger next to it then pulling the finger away quickly as if in panic, in a few minutes the kitten will transform into a tiger. Watch out for your legs, because it'll then be chasing anything that moves that's under, say, 50 times bigger than itself, and remotely within range. And it'll still expect to be victorious over you.

It's equally interesting that as adult humans we have trouble quickly unlearning some of our victim beliefs. Of course, we've worked very hard -- often since childhood or adolescence -- to con ourselves into those beliefs. That's how powerful we've been. Often there was major "pressure" from parents or society to create them, of course. But I guess the most far-out power trip of all can be to have used your power against yourself, in a "self-castrating" way.

I'm not sure it's possible to begin to get rid of some of these victim beliefs until one has precisely identified them. That's not so easy, because our defense mechanisms run on automatic and work independently to try and discourage us from facing certain things about ourselves -- and our past influences.
TraineeHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:36 AM   #17
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmay View Post
I think we all know people who exemplify victim mentality.

The "poor me" person, who has health problems they blame on the doctor, work problems they blame on the boss, family problems they blame on the wife and kids. And they use this to emotionally manipulate the people around them. There is a huge payoff for these individuals--they DON'T have to take responsibility for the **** they have created in their life.

It is easy to go up the line and blame the Illluminati, NWO, US gov't, organized religion, corporations, the banking industry....for everything that is wrong in this world and our own microcosm. How convenient to put it all onto THEM!

The truth is that we give away our own power when we believe that others control our circumstances. We are constantly putting out energy and getting back equivalent energy--so if we put out negative energy, guess what happens? I see this so clearly in my life, having beautiful synchronistic events present themselves to me when I am open to accepting them. It is hard sometimes to watch others struggle when they are clearly sabotaging themselves.
Spot-on here. I unfortunately know people who are living, breathing examples of the victim mentality. They can't seem to deal with the fact that they dislike someone, yet they continue to seek out the company of that person. It's confusing, awkward and I have found that the best way to do with it is to keep that friend at arm's length and avoid discussing others with her. I want to help her but she has to help herself and start using a more positive mindset about her life.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #18
rhythm
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
You're inspiring me!!
Future Eyes

yes she is an inspiration !!!

i like this thread

lots .....

thank you ....
rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #19
avyaktam
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythm View Post
Future Eyes

yes she is an inspiration !!!

i like this thread

lots .....

thank you ....
Second that. The spirituality threads are buzzing.
avyaktam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #20
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyscat View Post
...Oh, you might have a moment of annoyance or a moment of helplessness, but on the whole, you have choices to make about how you are going to react, or even perceive a situation...
Old 05-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #21
rhythm
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avyaktam View Post
second that. The spirituality threads are buzzing.

yes you are right

buzzing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #22
Christo888
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnana View Post
If you haven't read it yet, check out "Handbook for the New Paradigm" which is available various places on the net including the Avalon Ark Library here. It discusses at length the issue of victim mentality and how to overcome it.

For starters, STOP focusing on those who you believe to be in control. You give them power by focusing on them. STOP focusing on doomsday scenarios. You make them more likely by focusing on them. STOP following anyone and START thinking for yourself. Focus on the future you want, a future that we can all be proud of, that is for the best and highest good of all. START making it happen, in whatever ways present themselves to you. Make it your personal responsibility.

You can only be controlled if you continue to forget what you are - an amazingly powerful sovereign being.

Selfishness is also an important part of the victim mentality. Becoming unselfish, focusing more on the needs of others and doing something about it, is a good way to start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Yes!

Victim mentality is essentially irresponsible. It also suggests a predisposition to the notion that one will be rescued or looked after. (Not gonna happen!)

A..

A victim is someone who is waiting for someone, something, or some event to rescue them.

A lot to work on but the sooner the better.
Christo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:48 PM   #23
futureyes
Avalon Senior Member

Smile Re: Victim Mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christo888 View Post

A victim is someone who is waiting for someone, something, or some event to rescue them.

A lot to work on but the sooner the better.
spot on christo ...

would it be beneficial for us to continue adding fresh coffee every morning into our cups which are still full of the previous day's coffee?

of course not ... no matter how much fresh coffee we add there'll always remain the old stuff ... practice this for a while and some of that coffee gets really really thick and gross ...

we wouldn't do that ... we'd clean our cup in the a.m. and pour all new fresh stuff to begin our day ...

if we were the coffee we drink ... why would we insist on not cleaning ourselves up of the old within us ... how can we expect to entertain the new when the old remains ... thicker and denser does it become over time ... blocks and leaves little room for anything fresh and appetizing ...

sooo ... let's clean out the old paradigm within us once and for all ... let's make room and fill our selves with all that is new ... the sooner the better is most beneficial at this juncture ...

filling our selves with new coffee here and there are great glimpses of what can be ... but we can't keep layering them ... we need to clean out the old stuff ... start anew ...

we must stop waiting for someone else to clean our cups out ...

fresh coffee anyone?

i'm laughing ... never thought i could corelate coffee into this ... it just sort of flowed ...

Old 05-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #24
rhythm
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
spot on christo ...

would it be beneficial for us to continue adding fresh coffee every morning into our cups which are still full of the previous day's coffee?

of course not ... no matter how much fresh coffee we add there'll always remain the old stuff ... practice this for a while and some of that coffee gets really really thick and gross ...

we wouldn't do that ... we'd clean our cup in the a.m. and pour all new fresh stuff to begin our day ...

if we were the coffee we drink ... why would we insist on not cleaning ourselves up of the old within us ... how can we expect to entertain the new when the old remains ... thicker and denser does it become over time ... blocks and leaves little room for anything fresh and appetizing ...

sooo ... let's clean out the old paradigm within us once and for all ... let's make room and fill our selves with all that is new ... the sooner the better is most beneficial at this juncture ...

filling our selves with new coffee here and there are great glimpses of what can be ... but we can't keep layering them ... we need to clean out the old stuff ... start anew ...

we must stop waiting for someone else to clean our cups out ...

fresh coffee anyone?

i'm laughing ... never thought i could corelate coffee into this ... it just sort of flowed ...

Brilliant girl
Old 05-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #25
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

I haven't read any of these books. But I think it's fun and informative to browse using Amazon's LOOK INSIDE! feature. I just typed "victim mentality" in the search box, and here's what came up. For people who like to read, and are looking for a way to get started...

Amazon.com - "victim mentality"