Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 10-10-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

Default James earl ray - sweat lodge - gone wrong :( prayers please

JAMES EARL RAY - SWEAT LODGE - GONE WRONG PRAYERS PLEASE
MY best friend Elaine, is there,
please send good energy, and, prayers to her
(i don't know, if she is OK)
no answer on her cell phone
thank you
love/susan
The eXchanger

http://beyondgrowth.net/guru-critici...-lodge-fiasco/

James Arthur Ray’s Spiritual Warrior Event Kills 2,
Injures 19 in Sweat Lodge Fiasco
written by Duff McDuffee on October 9th, 2009

The news is going around that our pal James Arthur Ray
has two dead participants
and 19 hospitalized after a 2-hour long sweat in Sedona, AZ.

Some partipants paid up to $9000 f
or this “Spiritual Warrior Event.” From the AP release:

Many people began feeling ill after about two hours in the sweat box, emerging lightheaded and weak, said Verde Valley Fire District Chief Jerry Doerksen.

Two hours in a sweat lodge!? This is insane. (UPDATE: I’ve been informed–by my girlfriend–that 2 hours or even much longer is commonplace for sweats. I still think this is insane.) I remember doing a sweat with the Boy Scouts, and it was about 15 minutes before we got out and dumped ourselves with cold water. Ever spent 2 hours in a sauna with no break?

But this is the logic of these kinds of workshops–break you down to build you up. Tony Robbins’ Unleash the Power Within is very similar–long hours, no breaks, constant full-on exercises. While there is usually no explicit instruction that you must remain with the group, the pressure to do so can be enormous even when way beyond your limits.

I’m guessing that these deaths and injuries were not a result of “carbon monoxide” (which tested negatively) but intense psychological pressure to remain in a dangerous situation far beyond the limits of safety and sanity.

I know several people who have gone to the hospital for various reasons after “large group awareness trainings” such as Ray’s “Spiritual Warrior Event.” Many people online have complained of received mild to moderate burns on their feet after Tony Robbins’ firewalk, for example. It’s time we brought these gurus to justice and demanded that personal change workshops be safe for all.

When something goes wrong in such a seminar due to it being overly intense and dangerous, usually the victims are blamed for “not taking 100% responsibility,” thus dodging the responsibility of the seminar leaders. Personally, I think we should hold James Arthur Ray 100% personally responsible for the death of these two seminar participants, up to and including going to jail.

Seminar leaders are responsible for making their workshops both effective and safe for all. There are many safe and gentle methods and techniques for powerful change that have little-to-no risk, and do not require having a breakdown in order to have a breakthrough. It is long past time that we put limits on dangerous techniques for change and promoted safe and effective ones.

UPDATE 6:56pm 10/9/09

James Ray has deleted all of his recent tweets that had to do with the Spiritual Warrior Event or death. I think these tweets are interesting and instructive, given the context. Luckily, they are all still available in search.twitter.com.

These were posted on JamesARay’s Twitter account before and during the Spiritual Warrior Event (shown from oldest to newest, the opposite order as to how things appear on Twitter):

James Arthur Ray has an opportunity in this terrible situation to be a spiritual warrior and take full responsibility. Rise up to the challenge, Mr. Ray. It’s time for a new paradigm in personal change workshops, don’t you think?

UPDATE #2, 7:57pm 10/9/09

The news is breaking all over the web. Here’s a great little piece about James’ Ray’s Death Lodge, where we learn that some of the participants lack health insurance. So in addition to the almost $10,000 ticket price, expect another $10,000 in medical bills. I smell class-action lawsuit.

Here’s a slideshow from ABC news in Arizona, with a recording of the 911 call, and a short video (upper right). Two people were not breathing, and then on a later call there were three people not breathing. Just awful. Why didn’t they catch this earlier?

$9695 each times 64 people = $620,480. James A Ray could have easily afforded to have medical staff on hand.

Here’s some sales copy from James A Ray’s site (before they take it down):

You’ll accelerate the releasing of your limitations and push yourself past your self-imposed and conditioned borders (no more coloring inside the lines)…

The excessive focus on pushing past your boundaries (treating inner objections as “resistance”) is in my opinion what creates the conditions for dangerous approaches to personal change.

You’ll define and enforce your own boundaries—without someone else telling you what they should be…

Clearly this did not happen on this retreat, or those who were feeling ill would have simply stepped out of the sweat lodge. The psychological pressure to conform is often enormous in such workshops, and individual boundary-setting is usually discouraged.

You’ll experience, at the spiritual level, the ancient methodologies of Samurai Warriors; and gain a true understanding of the authority and strength that come from a life of honor…

Again, this is an opportunity for James A Ray to act with honor in the face of death. Deleting Twitter posts to cover your tracks is a bad start. And the patriarchal hypermasculine metaphor of the samurai again shows its shadow in the death and injury of these workshop participants.

The investment is ONLY $9695 per person.

This was an advanced, 6-day seminar for people who had already attended one of James Arthur Ray’s introductory workshops. The structure appears to be the same as Tony Robbins’ workshops–get them in for free or cheap for the first seminar which is structured to be one big sales pitch for the very expensive advanced course. Caveat emptor!

UPDATE #3

Techcrunch has picked up the story, due to the issue of the deleted Tweets. I think we should read this as the Law of Attraction in action—dishonorable acts of cowardice actually attract more attention than transparency and honesty, a lesson for us all.

UPDATE #4

Please also read my followup post to this one, entitled The Dark Side of The Secret: Reading James Arthur Ray’s Sweat Lodge Disaster through a Magickal Lens.

UPDATE #5
The New York Times has picked up the story (requires login). Here’s a quote:

Joseph Bruchac, an expert on Native American traditions and author of “The Native American Sweat Lodge,” said that number far surpassed the 8 to 12 typically present at such a rite. “It means that all these people are fighting for the same oxygen,” he said.

Traditional lodges are usually made of willow branches and covered in canvas or animal skins, and are not meant to be air-tight. The authorities said that the lodge at Angel Valley was covered in plastic and blankets.

Questions have also arisen about the length of time the people were in the lodge — about two hours. A ceremony usually lasts no more than an hour, Mr. Bruchac said.

Share this:
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:49 PM   #2
lindabaker
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: James earl ray - sweat lodge - gone wrong :( prayers please

I have always heard that charging for a sweat ceremony is against Native tradition. No disrespect to the leader (don't know him) but maybe it's best to follow tradition completely. No airtight lodge, and no dishonor for leaving the sweat before others. Also, you are supposed to do "rounds" and not stay in the whole time, correct? So many factors in the set up to FAIL. My heartfelt prayers for those seeking spiritual advancement. It's difficult to decide with whom to study. There are lots of examples of well meaning teachers who take things too far without the proper training.
lindabaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

Questions About ‘Sweat Lodge’ Rite Where 2 Died
By JOHN DOUGHERTY and GREGORY ROTH
Published: October 10, 2009
PRESCOTT, Ariz. — As Arizona authorities on Saturday investigated how two people died and more than a dozen others were overtaken during a ceremony at a New Age retreat near Sedona, questions arose about the circumstances surrounding the simulated Native American rite.

Tom Tingle/The Arizona Republic, via Associated Press

Two people died and an estimated 19 others were taken to hospitals after being overcome while sitting in the sauna-like sweat lodge at Angel Valley Retreat Center, near Sedona, Ariz.

Another person who was at the “sweat lodge” at Angel Valley Spiritual Retreat, about six and a half miles from West Sedona, was listed in critical condition at Flagstaff Medical Center.

The two victims were identified on Saturday as
James Shore, 40, of Milwaukee,
and Kirby Brown, 38, who grew up in Westtown, N.Y.,
and lived part of the time in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.
Both had come to the retreat without family members,
the authorities said.

The Yavapai County sheriff, Steve Waugh, said at a news conference on Saturday that his detectives were investigating the possibility of criminal negligence in connection with the incident. He said that from 55 to 65 people were gathered inside the lodge on Thursday afternoon for the purification ceremony.

Joseph Bruchac, an expert on Native American traditions and author of “The Native American Sweat Lodge,” said that number far surpassed the 8 to 12 typically present at such a rite. “It means that all these people are fighting for the same oxygen,” he said.

The lodge itself was only four and a half feet tall at its highest point, Mr. Waugh said.

A sweat lodge, similar to a sauna, is an enclosed space where water is poured on heated rocks. Such structures are often used in Native American ceremonies and are intended to cleanse the body. Traditional lodges are usually made of willow branches and covered in canvas or animal skins, and are not meant to be air-tight. The authorities said that the lodge at Angel Valley was covered in plastic and blankets.

The people, some of whom paid more than $9,000, were taking part in a program called "Spiritual Warrior, " which was being run by the self-help expert James Arthur Ray. They had been inside the lodge for more than two hours when emergency calls were made about 5 p.m. Friday, the Verde Valley Fire Department said.

Questions have also arisen about the length of time the people were in the lodge — about two hours. A ceremony usually lasts no more than an hour, Mr. Bruchac said.

Investigators said that a test for hazardous materials showed no evidence of carbon monoxide or other airborne poisons at the lodge, though they said they were still testing blood samples for evidence of toxic substances.

Dwight D’Evelyn, a public information officer for the Yavapai County sheriff’s office, said autopsies of the two victims had been conducted, but results had not yet been released.

Mr. Ray, who was in the sweat lodge for the ceremony and has been holding retreats there since 2003, has not yet commented on the incident.

The owners of the resort, identified as Michael and Amayra Hamilton, also declined to comment.

Mr. Ray has appeared on Oprah Winfrey’s television show and wrote a best-selling book, “Harmonic Wealth: The Secret of Attracting the Life You Want.”

A spokesman for Mr. Ray, Howard Bragman, told The Associated Press, “We express our deepest condolences to those who lost friends and family, but we pray for a speedy recovery for those who took ill.”

New Age programs like the ones Mr. Ray offers are common in Sedona. Anna Lisa Brown, a resident, told the Phoenix television station KNXV that people are always coming to the area for such retreats.

“I was surprised that people would put themselves in that situation, but not surprised, because people are looking for things to fulfill themselves and give themselves purpose,” Ms. Brown said.

The cost of the retreat was listed on Mr. Ray’s Web site as $9,695 per person. In it, he says its participants will “experience a new technologically-enhanced form of meditation that creates new neurological pathways.”
Old 10-10-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

i advised her, this trip wasn't the wisest thing, she ever choose to do ...
however, prayers for her, would sincerely, be appreciated

love/susan
Old 10-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

i think she wrote to tone3jag; for advise on his walking through vortexes, etc., as, her whole trip was for 3 weeks, NOT just the 5 day part

love/susan
Old 10-11-2009, 02:14 AM   #6
eleni
Avalon Senior Member

I hope she is okay- a friend of ours is the colon hydrotherapist there. I will call him and ask him what he thinks went wrong.....
eleni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:00 AM   #7
Thunderbird
Avalon Senior Member

stupid

new agers suck.

James A Ray is a ***tard.

I'm Cherokee and he should be strung up and beaten.

Last edited by Thunderbird; 10-11-2009 at 03:04 AM.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:11 AM   #8
Thunderbird
Avalon Senior Member

I'm sorry Exchanger and your friend is probably really sweet and all but it was wrong for her to be there.

I'm Part Cherokee and my Wife is Part Apache. I'M ******!!!
I've been doin lodge since I became a man, and I am a pipe carrier.

THESE PEOPLE IN THIS LODGE WERE WRONG FOR BEIN IN IT. THEY ARE WANNA BE NEWAGERS AT WORST AND IGNORANT AND NAIVE AT BEST.

JAMES A RAY ACTED CRIMINALLY AND SHOULD BE PROSECUTED BY THE LOCAL NATIVES THERE.

I'm tired of hippies and bullsh!ters that claim spirituality and stab you in the back while brotherly love huggin. I'm tired of "oh let's just love everybody and neermind they ***kin you without lube....oh and don't mind the poision....and the brainwashing...and the war...and the plague." WHAT THR *** IS WRONG WITH THESE STUPID ***S!!!!??!?!? I've had enough of em.

peckers.

these fools got their medicine.

THe biggest attrocity is what happened here on these lands. Colonialization.

if the colonists had just listened learned and respected, been honorable, been good people, then the world would be a different place. it's good that white folks wanna be Native now. ***** the world would be a better place if everyone lived by ancient tradition but ***kin A! takin peoples money and giving them some false ********!?

WTF?!

Last edited by Samarkis; 10-12-2009 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Not nice wording..........
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:35 AM   #9
orthodoxymoron
Avalon Senior Member

My heart goes out to those who have been hurt (or worse) by this madness. I hope your friend is OK. Let us know.

One of the biggest challenges in the current paradigm shift is how to avoid jumping out of the frying pan...and into the fire. One can exchange a stupid reality for a downright dangerous reality. People don't know which way to turn...and often make the wrong choices. Most spiritual enlightenment should be free. The red flags should go up when people are charging thousands of dollars for 'enlightenment'. Just spend some quality time on the net...take your dog for a long walk...and get a good nights sleep.

Last edited by orthodoxymoron; 10-11-2009 at 02:43 PM.
orthodoxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:17 AM   #10
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

i told him, what i think...

some of us, have friends that attended your event,
my best friend, the one person,
who is nearest, and, dearest to my heart-
-how do we find a list, that tells us,
if they are at the hospital, and/or, they are all right ???

they aren't answering their cell phone
NOR HAVE THEY called us,
although they did call us, prior to the sweat ...

--if they had said they were doing it,
with more than 12, and,
with plastic, 65 people in 415 sq feet,
run by a bunch of rookies, NOT real elders
we would have said, do NOT do it !!!

For $9000+++ it should have been 'the sweat' of a 'lifetime'

and, a memorable event NOT a rememberable 'sad' event

and, the great guru/spiritual warrior leader
- leaves the
scene/and, bolts home
in the face of his own self made diaster ???

Tell me this, how on earth,
does a 'real' spiritual warrior,
flee the scene, and, go back to their home ???

and, leave their students,
who, by the way,
they are the ones who are the 'real' teachers

to anyone with any 'real' level of mastery,
it is the students who teach the teacher,
NOT the other way round,
and just leave them, to stand alone,
and, fight for their lives alone ???

i send those involved the highest levels
of energy, healing, light and love,
to all of you who attended this event,
and, hope you know, you are the 'real' masters

know, that the actions one takes,
speak louder than words...

James Ray, your actions,
state very loud, and very clearly,
what it is, that you are !!!

(without me, having to go into that)

suffice to say, i am NOT a fan !!!
Old 10-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #11
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

HE removes comments

as, well, as, removing twitter comments

and, many others, comments...

well james ray...

removing comments/doesn't make truths disappear

and, this person is removing them,
everywhere it does NOT suit their image

-fortunately, there are plenty of other places people are noticing this
- and, believe it, or NOT
any one who bolts from the scene
-- has NO real balls !!!

just search ' james ray sweat sedona', and, see
al the articles with comments on them all !!!

removing my messages, does NOT make them / or their energy disappear -- where do family/or friends of the 64 go,
to track them down ???

is it right, for you to have us worry, since the 9th ?

Geoff Bocelli says:
This is not the first time he left the scene when authorities wanted to interview him about questionable activities taking place. This has happened at his other events. To charge people almost $10,000 and take them to that dump is unbelievable in the 1st place. Then to cram 5x the safe amount of people in the sweat tent is inexcusable, ... Read Moreespecially after he made them FAST since Thursday AM for 36 hours. I wonder if participants knew they were in for that? Read the articles on Google and Twitter & see for yourself - put James Ray in the search field - and make up your own mind. Only the guilty hide and run - he is not attending to the sick or the families of the deceased. His WARRIORS need to speak up and tell the truth of what goes on at these things to spare others this type of tragedy. My condolences to the families of the lost souls and injured people.

http://www.examiner.com/a-2261417~Sw..._in_shape.html

Charles Oppermann says:
According to the AP in a report by Felicia Fonseca, posted 10pm ET (Saturday): "Yavapai County Sheriff Steve Waugh said Saturday that his detectives were focusing on self-help expert and author James Arthur Ray and his staff as they try to determine if criminal negligence played a role. Waugh said Ray refused to speak with authorities and has ... Read Moresince left the state."

For someone to preach responsibility and then refuse to speak with those investigating is troubling, particularly in light of two deleted Tweets:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/10/09...have-surfaced/

Last edited by THE eXchanger; 10-11-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:39 PM   #12
waitinginthewings
Avalon Senior Member

Anyone who is willing to pay close to $10,0000 for a sweat needs a reality check.....seriously. It boggles the mind why such people have not understood the basic principle that we should never pay money for spiritual teaching or purification. I have done many retreats & never was asked to pay a fee. I did however make a small donation (as I could afford) to cover food, etc. No one ever got sick or died........because they were legitimate retreats with legit teachers.

How tragic & sad that there are such people like James earl ray who are quite willing to rip people off.......but now he is on the run.........karma payback time.
waitinginthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #13
eleni
Avalon Senior Member

Yes agreed- these self help seminars that charge mega bucks(Tony Robbins included) need a reality check indeed.
eleni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:38 PM   #14
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Exchanger I carry your friend Elaine in my heart and wish her well.
Healing energy for her and for You.

“Healing Waters”

I was called to do a waterfall painting and inspired by a falls with seven pools that is said to be a place of great healing. The energy there was green and soothing. Vibrant Heliconias and hands reach upward. The Flower of Life matrix is embedded in the background and informs the viewer in ways subtle and ever changing.

My love for you always
mudra
mudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:21 AM   #15
Samarkis
Avalon Senior Member

Exclamation Re: James earl ray - sweat lodge - gone wrong :( prayers please

OK Folks...............I am putting my 2 Cents in here............

WE DON'T KNOW ALL THE FACTS YET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Authorities are checking several avenues............This was NOT the first sweat lodge that was done.............. In my humble opinion............the guest list should be looked at and all that had access to the property (including contractors)...........It SOUNDS like someone put in a toxic substance into the fire (by accident?)............In my opinion, something was done-whether by sad accident or malicious intent...........

Also, Thunderbird, I am sad that you could judge people the way you did in this thread............People of all backgrounds come to learn of spirituality.......And have every right to in the way they see fit.........
It is NOT for us to judge WHICH group they are in.............It is their intent,their actions and their heart.............We Humans are really not seperate from each other....all suffering is for us to grow in experience & spirituality in our choices at every step of the way...........You are an amazing soul as I remember you asking all to visualize what kind of world one wants to co-create.......It is a beautiful thread........

Thoughts are Things......and as I just recently read, they project out from us and in a figure 8 return those thoughts into reality.........Let's all try very hard to be REFLECTIVE and observe what we are experiencing and then try to focus on a little better & higher focus to slowly, step by step, upgrade our reality!!!!!!!!!!! 6 Billion thoughts that are positive will impact us in a huge way!!!! Let's start NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sending Light & Comfort & Healing to those that feel loss at this time.........

In Light !
Samarkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:40 AM   #16
orthodoxymoron
Avalon Senior Member

mudra: 'Healing Waters' is beautiful.
orthodoxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:56 AM   #17
Samarkis
Avalon Senior Member

Samarkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #18
Sarahmay
Avalon Senior Member

James Arthur Ray pops his head up...this was sent out by email:

For All Those Affected by the Tragedy in Sedona
I am shocked and saddened by the tragedy that occurred at Spiritual Warrior in Sedona, Arizona, Thursday evening. I wish to express my deepest heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of those who lost their lives as well as offer my prayers for a speedy recovery for those who were taken ill. Because there are so many more questions than answers at this time I believe it inappropriate to comment further until we know more.

Out of respect for the deceased and their loved ones and for those who have taken ill and for whose speedy recovery we pray, we will not be replying to individual postings. Instead, we thank you for writing, and we hope you will share in our continued wishes of support, strength and comfort to all those impacted by this tragedy.

We also want everyone to know that a friend has been at the hospital monitoring the condition of those still ill. Our love and warm affection is with all who mourn and with all of you in this time of grief, sadness and challenge.

With never-ending love and prayers,

James Arthur Ray
President/CEO
James Ray International, Inc.
Sarahmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #19
Argante
Avalon Senior Member

Thank you so much for this beautiful picture. It resonates so strongly within myself. What a beautiful gift. Thank you... and God Bless You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudra View Post
Exchanger I carry your friend Elaine in my heart and wish her well.
Healing energy for her and for You.

“Healing Waters”

I was called to do a waterfall painting and inspired by a falls with seven pools that is said to be a place of great healing. The energy there was green and soothing. Vibrant Heliconias and hands reach upward. The Flower of Life matrix is embedded in the background and informs the viewer in ways subtle and ever changing.

My love for you always
mudra
Argante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #20
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks for the prayers etc.,
my friend, as, well, as many others
including one guy,
who feel into the rock pit,
are getting help from others

apparently, he counted the rounds - wrong

did the fourth one-more than once

and, when they came out
they were housed down with water
(not very good, for, people who are developing
their crystalline light bodies)

the sherrif's office is getting in touch with attendees

and, there is a lot of info here;

his $5,000,000 + house is up for sale (quick liquidation into cash ???)

http://www.blogcatalog.com/search.fr...b78f2bbcb79f10

(including, victims family got $5,000 from him - 1/2 of the fee back)

and, many native americans speaking out

http://www.blackhillsportal.com/npps/story.cfm?ID=3492

again, many thanks, to all of you
for your prayers/and, well wishes, etc.,

love/susan
the eXchanger
Old 12-10-2009, 03:20 AM   #21
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

Indoctrination 101 – How James Ray lures his victims

http://open.salon.com/blog/newfort/2...es_his_victims
Old 12-10-2009, 03:36 AM   #22
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

I'm not sure if I should be disgusted at the idea of someone charging for sweat lodges or chalk it up to yet another rape of native american culture by greedy people?

They can be very beneficial but apparently, the guy in charge didn't do it right.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #23
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

he was arrested on wednesday

http://www.people.com/people/article...00204-20341429
Old 02-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #24
redtailhawk
Avalon Senior Member

Big prayer for your friend eXchanger.

I don't know this man or his work, but I did catch last night on CNN/Anderson Cooper reporting that he was arrested yesterday in Prescott, AZ where I live. The reporting made Ray out to be a real bad guy. Made him sound unsympathetic, and non-interactive in the time of need. One woman called in, I believe her name was Bonnie Bunn, or something like that. In any event, she was there at the lodge and testified that Ray was completely useless, just stood there starring and then disappeared. They had a lawyer on who talked about there being over 700 pages written by various attendees of their first hand accounts of the incident, and the lawyer sounded like they incriminated Ray further. By contrast, Ray and his lawyers announced that he was interactive, and hands on (literally) during the whole trauma. Ray apparently claims there was "even a doctor on site"....giving the appearance, he hired one to be present while these sweat lodge's go on....just in case. Yet, Bunn claims, that is a misrepresentation of the facts, and that the doctor was a participant.

Over all, my sense from the report is that at this time, Ray is in big trouble and may go to jail.
redtailhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #25
redtailhawk
Avalon Senior Member

[QUOTE=lindabaker;176515]I have always heard that charging for a sweat ceremony is against Native tradition.

Yes, I have heard the same thing. In fact, I did a sweat headed by a Native American in Japan....he taught the same thing. Donations are cool and welcome (not necessarily cash either), but charging is not.

IMO exploiting ritual is just plane wrong, and I would never participate if I was required to pay, because it is done with the wrong spirit and intention in mind.
redtailhawk is offline   Reply With Quote