Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 11-22-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
Dakini
Avalon Senior Member

Default Links for: 1-yr supply of mail order food; water purifier, seeds, wheat, grain mill

Check it out - link is from efoodsdirect - http://www.efoodsdirect.com/products.html
I got it off of the Alex Jones site.

I am not an affiliate for any of these items, but the source looks good.
Anyone have any experience with this company?

Says they sell:

Food packages for 1-yr supply for 1 adult with prices at 40% off grocery store prices. $1300 - $1700

Berkey Water Purifier $209 (2.75 gallon outdoor purifier)

Garden Seeds (28,00 seeds) $35

Electric Grain Mills starting at $130

Blessings, Dakini
Dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Baggywrinkle

Default Re: Links for: 1-yr supply of mail order food; water purifier, seeds, wheat, grain mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakini View Post
Check it out - link is from efoodsdirect - http://www.efoodsdirect.com/products.html
I got it off of the Alex Jones site.

I am not an affiliate for any of these items, but the source looks good.
Anyone have any experience with this company?

Says they sell:

Food packages for 1-yr supply for 1 adult with prices at 40% off grocery store prices. $1300 - $1700

Berkey Water Purifier $209 (2.75 gallon outdoor purifier)

Garden Seeds (28,00 seeds) $35

Electric Grain Mills starting at $130

Blessings, Dakini
My entire family in three states has done business with Steve. They are a coop and have been in business for twenty seven years. Their meat products are soy based, but you can compensate for that by visiting Freeze Dry Guy.

Steve will take good care of you, even if you do not buy from him he will tell you the straight scoop.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Default Re: Links for: 1-yr supply of mail order food; water purifier, seeds, wheat, grain mi

Looks ok but the tins are all big ones which seems a bit stupid to me. Once you open a tin of butter you have to use it so it's not going to last very long.
IMO it would be better to buy stuff in smaller tins.
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:50 PM   #4
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

What about those who can't afford those prices?

Oh right, fearmongers usually tend to have more money than others. I can find much cheaper ways to survive.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
Baggywrinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
Looks ok but the tins are all big ones which seems a bit stupid to me. Once you open a tin of butter you have to use it so it's not going to last very long.
IMO it would be better to buy stuff in smaller tins.
The #10 cans come with lids. The food is long term storable, good for 15-20 years or longer. In the example with butter, what you get is dried butter flakes which are
reconstituted with a bit of cooking oil.

We buy all our regular canned goods in that large size. Just got twenty more lids to put into our stock. If the foodstuff is in danger of spoiling, say a can of green beans or tomato sauce, then we break it down and re-can it into smaller sizes. We've had very little wastage this way and saved a ton of money. There was a special at an internet vendor not long ago on dehydrated potatoes in #10 sized cans. We bought a case of 12 for sixty bucks. It will last well over a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Janitor View Post

Oh right, fearmongers usually tend to have more money than others. I can find much cheaper ways to survive.
You might look at their smaller patriot pack. $349 for a two month supply for one person. It's a chunk of cash, but you are buying into the future and will come out ahead in the long run.

Steve says times have changed. Folks are not buying the food to store. They are buying it to eat in place of regular groceries, because it is cheaper.

Do what is best for your situation. But do your homework. Don't get suckered in to buying recycled outdated product from Y2K. You don't need to buy from Steve. But you might spend some time reading his web site. There is good stuff there.

Four other very well thought of vendors.

Walton Feed; we got our wheat from these guys
http://www.waltonfeed.com/

these guys have red feather canned butter & cheese
http://www.internet-grocer.net/

I got my grain mill from these guys
http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/foodpak1.aspx

I've not ordered from them, but the LDS church thinks highly of them
http://honeyvillegrain.com/

A good friend of JR Moore in business thirty years
http://www.freezedryguy.com/

Last edited by Baggywrinkle; 11-22-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
SuperManny
Avalon Senior Member

Here's a good checklist called Tough Questions to Ask Before Buying a "Year Supply" Unit

That site also has a couple "year's supply" packages for under $1200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Janitor View Post
There are cheaper 1-yr packages available, but they're probably not as good. This site has 2 packages; one is $750 and the other is $1000.

If that's still too much money I would print out a list of several of these package contents and just buy a little at a time, and you'll be well ahead of most people. Almost any plan is better than no plan.
"Fail to plan, and you plan to fail"

I'd say you've still got about 4, maybe 6 months before things get bad.
SuperManny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Anywhere in England that sells this stuff??
Old 11-22-2008, 09:56 PM   #8
no caste

Humble Janitor or Baggywrinkle,

What's the cheapest method to purify water? For instance, I have heard that letting water sit for half and hour will cause the particulates to sink. What kind of filters (cheapest) are best, e.g. do coffee filters work?

Which methods correspond to which contaminants? There is a spectrum of dirty water, from muddy to fecal, to bacterial, radioactive, stagnant. People have varying personal resources, so what cost is associated with different levels of purification?

How effective is letting sit, separating the clear, then boiling?
Old 11-22-2008, 10:00 PM   #9
Swanny
I dont need a label !

no caste I have one of these http://www.freshwaterfilter.com/prod...)_Home-GS2-SCD

Quote:
FreshWater's simple, yet effective gravity filters allow you to enjoy freshly filtered water throughout the home. Capable of producing up to 50 litres per day of freshly filtered water, our stainless steel gravity filter comes complete with two Sugalite cartridges and requires no plumbing. It removes 99.99% of all particles larger than 1 micron including dirt, rust, sediment, bacteria and parasites. A gravity filter will also improve the taste of your drinking water and remove chlorine and odours. All of which has to be good for aiding productivity!
Old 11-22-2008, 10:21 PM   #10
Baggywrinkle

The absolute cheapest method is something like this

Old 11-23-2008, 07:26 AM   #11
no caste

Thank you Swanny and Baggywrinkle (for a diagram that's beautiful AND functional!).
Old 11-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #12
unlimited mind
Avalon Senior Member

http://beprepared.com/category.asp_Q..._E_FoodStorage the prices here are a few hundred dollars cheaper for the year plans, and you can find big berkley water filters on ebay for 239.00.

you can also buy food at your local farmer markets and do your own canning.

unlimited mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #13
alyscat
Avalon Senior Member

And, another thought. now's a good time to get on the yard sale/flea market bandwagon. You'll find great deals on things like canning jars and canning equipment.

Sometimes, you know, it's a matter of priorities. I've known people who say they "can't afford" something, but that nightly trip to the pub to be with their mates or 2 packs of cigs a day, or even (in my case <sigh>) a 16 oz Red Bull a day, or a Starbux is really more important to them than food storage, or the work involved in canning. My Red Bull "addiction" would buy about $120 USD of food a month. And would go even further if I hit the garage sales and picked up cheap canning supplies, and then the farmers' market in season. In a year, I'd have over $1500 for food storage. (some days I have 2 Red Bulls)

I'm not calling a judgment here, everyone is responsible for their lives and if things other than food storage is what they value most, I say go for it!

What I've found is that in MOST cases people manage to do/afford what they really want.

alys
alyscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #14
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Thank you, Dakini for starting this thread.

And thank you, Avalon!
Seashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:06 AM   #15
Cosmic Dancer
Avalon Senior Member

Post Re: Links for: 1-yr supply of mail order food; water purifier, seeds, wheat, grain mi

Just wondering if anyone has any good suggestions or references for suppliers in Canada for any of the following for long term storage:

- freeze-dried foods
- 50 gal water containers
- Organic hybrid seeds
- wheat + grain mill
- etc.

I find countless US suppliers but not so many in Canada. I'd like to avoid additional Customs and duty charges if possible!
Cosmic Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:36 AM   #16
Cosmic Dancer
Avalon Senior Member

CORRECTION to previous post:

Oops... I meant:

Organic Heirloom seeds (not Hybrid seeds)

Cosmic Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote