Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:36 AM   #1
TRANCOSO
Avalon Senior Member

Default Are Virtual Friends For Real?

Call me old fashioned, but I somehow can't relate to the concept of cyber friendship. To me friends are flesh & blood people with faces, voices & eyes you've looked into, people you've shared special moments in your life with and who you can blindly depend on, as they can depend on you.
Calling someone a friend means you would really miss that person, if (s)he wouldn't be around anymore.
Therefore I wonder; are virtual friends for real?
TRANCOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:15 AM   #2
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Are Virtual Friends For Real?

my mother believed before xmas, they were not,
but, after a discussion, about whether or NOT,
she knew her friends, who she hasn't seen for 60+ years,
since, she was in her middle teens,
and, is now, corresponding with some of them via e-amil,
she finally admitted,
that she feels, like no time, has gone past,
and, she definitely does know them better ~
than she ever knew them, when they were kids.

We asked her, if she ever sat at her computer
~and, laughed when she read something,
to which, she replied, yes, as a matter of fact,
i think, i have laughed harder, than, i would ever laugh,
in front of someone else,
some people send you really crazy/and, really funny things

we asked her, if she ever received anything,
that she questioned
the truth in it,
to which she responded,
the computer has opened up parts of the world
she did NOT even know existed, and, that,
there were some things, that were really starting to concern her,
and, if they are true,
someone has to do something about it !!!

hmmm...they are waking up !!!

yes, i think, any decent relationship, normally starts,
friends first, i think, you can find people online,
and, develop friendships with

although, i have to agree ~ there is NOTHING like a friend in flesh,
right there beside you !!!

over the years, on the computer,
i have seen groups of people, do pretty amasing things,
for other people, who are simply, their online friends !!!

and, i've seen groups of people, realise, that someone is NOT acting
the way, they normally do, and, in some cases, helped someone who
was depressed, and/or, needing others, help help lift their spirits,
and, it avoided someone committing a suicide.

if you want a friend, you have to be a friend
personally, i believe, online friends, are, the same as offline friends
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:24 AM   #3
TRANCOSO
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE eXchanger View Post
personally, i believe, online friends, are, the same as offline friends
Online friends exist in cyberspace. When you're cut-off from the internet, you're cut-off from them as well.
By the way, do 'dreamfriends' exist?
Old 01-06-2010, 05:36 AM   #4
micjer
Avalon Senior Member

That is an interesting question.

I would have to say that I have met some really amazing people on this and other forums. There are some that I have become very close to and discuss things with that I wouldn't dare talk about to non-forum friends.

On another forum I am on, we exchanged photos and real names. It really helped to personalize things and brought us closer. Susan is one of the few that is open to this type of thing. Many prefer to hide behind a facade. I have no problem with that.

David Icke forum has a thread where people can post a picture of themselves. Perhaps that is something some may want to do here.

Anyways to answer your question, I would say that yes some virtual friends are very much for real.

micjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:40 AM   #5
joe2288
Avalon Senior Member

Arrow Re: Are Virtual Friends For Real?

Well I am gonna go ahead and say it behind the computer are real people and

I do consider people on here as friends, because i resonate with people on here

in a way i can't with my regular friends, because there all still asleep and I

chose a long time ago i wouldn't try and blast my views at people and shake

there lives up. Some people like being asleep and i respect that.
joe2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:50 AM   #6
TRANCOSO
Avalon Senior Member

Real life friends can disappoint you, let you down, - have an emotional impact on you, that goes way beyond that of cyberfriends.
(Of course this excludes my friend Swanny! )
Old 01-06-2010, 06:06 AM   #7
raulduke
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANCOSO View Post
Online friends exist in cyberspace. When you're cut-off from the internet, you're cut-off from them as well.
A pea sized meteorite traveling 3000 mph could shoot through your roof and strike your skull as you read this, and you would be cut off from real and online people.

It is an unpredictable world. Some try so hard to be prepared that they cannot live in the moment. Sure, be prepared, but remember that this moment also has significance.

Regarding your op, 'virtual friends' are indeed different from real world friends, but as they are both types of relationships, some of the same rules apply. The most important being (imho), that you get out of a relationship what you put into it.

Quote:
Hmm, my 6 year old nephew may have a different opinion than you or I. I suppose it depends on your definition of "exist". Or was that a joke?
raulduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:22 AM   #8
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
yes, they definitely do eXist !!!
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
micjer
Avalon Senior Member

BTW....Hi Raulduke old friend! You exist ......right?

Old 01-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
futureyes
Avalon Senior Member

Smile Re: Are Virtual Friends For Real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by micjer View Post
That is an interesting question.

I would have to say that I have met some really amazing people on this and other forums. There are some that I have become very close to and discuss things with that I wouldn't dare talk about to non-forum friends.

On another forum I am on, we exchanged photos and real names. It really helped to personalize things and brought us closer. Susan is one of the few that is open to this type of thing. Many prefer to hide behind a facade. I have no problem with that.
David Icke forum has a thread where people can post a picture of themselves. Perhaps that is something some may want to do here.

Anyways to answer your question, I would say that yes some virtual friends are very much for real.

what do you mean micjer ... this pic IS the real me ...

answering trancoso's question ... yes i do feel my virtual friends are real ...
a heart connection's a heart connection ... that's real enough for me ...

futureyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #11
rhythm
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureyes View Post

answering trancoso's question ... yes i do feel my virtual friends are real ...
a heart connection's a heart connection ... that's real enough for me ...

yes she realy does look like that

and for the record ..

i made some of the best friends i ever had

on line ... also want to say ...that skype

is an excelent way to get to know them better

and to meet in the flesh evem better still ...

rhythmmm
rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #12
morguana
Project Avalon Moderator

yes i think that cyber friends can be 'real', i have a very close friend, whom i have never met in real life, but we are in lots of contact and i love this person loads and should he ever need my help in any way i would give it.
m x

the way is not in the sky, the way is in the heart

forum guidlines

Avalon Chat
morguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #13
Shairia
Avalon Senior Member

I think the connection is real, it's more of an energy attraction initially. Maybe a new term for that would be appropriate. One can take that energy attraction in any direction you wish, and some eventually meet up in person.
Shairia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #14
Jnana
Avalon Senior Member

It's much harder to get the true sense of a person from typed language than in person. There are so many other cues when you are in the same room, face to face. It has seemed to me that you can learn more about a person spending five minutes with them in silence than a year of typing over the internet. Virtual friends can be quite nice, but many of your notions of who that person is can change when you finally meet in person.
Jnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #15
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnana View Post
Virtual friends can be quite nice, but many of your notions of who that person is can change when you finally meet in person.
I bet....
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #16
gita
Avalon Senior Member

I’ve been using the internet for many years now but only started engaging in forums since December 2009. I actually find people on these forums more of a mind and consciousness friends as here is where like minds connect and can have debates mostly without judgements. My friends in ‘real’ life whom I’ve known for decades and love dearly, however seem to be full of judgments as they do not share the same path as me and actually think I’m quiet ‘out there’ and do not believe in any conspiracies such as how human’s are actually being controlled much alone dimensional stuff. It seems as they get older they seem to be more set in their views and less tolerant towards mine even though this is how I’ve been since being a kid.

I have found myself grateful for these forums and the people/consciousness on them and see it as my second mind home. Cyber friends/consciousnesses are much appreciated by me as I’ve found a place where I am allowed to be who I really am.
gita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #17
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi old fashioned,

I tend to agree with you. I was a CBer many years ago. Of everybody who I spoke to on citizens band, how many do I still keep in touch with since my CB and the CB scene went down? None.

I have always thought that 'friendship' on the internet is just the same as what the CB was, only the media is different. Unless someone can prove me wrong...

Of course this does not mean to say that I treat everybody in a cold way. As we interact we receive a certain 'excitement' for want of a better word to be connected to someone on the other side of the world who shares common ideas.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Call me old fashioned, but I somehow can't relate to the concept of cyber friendship. To me friends are flesh & blood people with faces, voices & eyes you've looked into, people you've shared special moments in your life with and who you can blindly depend on, as they can depend on you.
Calling someone a friend means you would really miss that person, if (s)he wouldn't be around anymore.
Therefore I wonder; are virtual friends for real?
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #18
Fredkc
Project Avalon Member

Trancoso;

Friendship, and trust are something you give. When you give them in earnest, then it is real. It's all you can do.

When it isn't returned, then it's their loss.

When it is, then you both have something.

Not seeing/feeling the other person changes the way a relationship builds, but the nature of it seems unchanged, to me.

Best I can do,
Fred

Evil cannot be killed. Only redeemed.

Chat us up at: Avalon Chat
Fredkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #19
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

Before we had cyber friends we had pen pals, both work similar, i have made strong relationships both ways and i know some better than my friends i see on a regular basis.
I think sometimes you can say things better through messages rather than face to face some do not have that confidence to do that.
For me i contact on both levels so yes are virtual friends for real most definitely
Jacqui D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #20
Shaynard
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gita View Post
I’ve been using the internet for many years now but only started engaging in forums since December 2009. I actually find people on these forums more of a mind and consciousness friends as here is where like minds connect and can have debates mostly without judgements. My friends in ‘real’ life whom I’ve known for decades and love dearly, however seem to be full of judgments as they do not share the same path as me and actually think I’m quiet ‘out there’ and do not believe in any conspiracies such as how human’s are actually being controlled much alone dimensional stuff. It seems as they get older they seem to be more set in their views and less tolerant towards mine even though this is how I’ve been since being a kid.

I have found myself grateful for these forums and the people/consciousness on them and see it as my second mind home. Cyber friends/consciousnesses are much appreciated by me as I’ve found a place where I am allowed to be who I really am.

Same would apply to me..

With my point of view, we are all connected, and I love everyone. So internet or real life makes no difference to me personally. I do not feel separated from people because of physical space.

I have found I can have just as much compassion and caring for someone I have never seen in person, and only talk to online.

So my personal answer would be yes. it's about connections we share, not physical space IMO.

In light, of love
Shaynard
Shaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:04 PM   #21
orthodoxymoron
Avalon Senior Member

I do much better on the internet than I do in 'real life'. Most people (other than my mom!) don't relate to what I'm interested in...or the subject matter is too controversial for work, church, neighbors, et al. The internet allows me to fine tune the subjects and participants...so that there is an appropriate match. I can discuss things on Avalon which I wouldn't dream of discussing elsewhere. I find that if I don't keep 'real life' conversation superficial and non-controversial...things go downhill very quickly! I have very few friends. I'm a lone nut! My best friend is my dog! The more people I meet...the more I like my dog! Sorry! But that's the awful truth!

Virtual Friends Are Virtual Friends...Until They Become a Virtual Pain in Uranus!

Namaste

Last edited by orthodoxymoron; 01-06-2010 at 05:29 PM.
orthodoxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #22
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

I've talked to people that I may never meet in flesh. However, it's awesome the things people can do online when they don't even know each other personally! There's a lot that can be accomplished if you brush aside the notion that online friends aren't real friends.

Like for example, I consider a lot of folks on Avalon to be friends even though I've never met and may never meet any of you in flesh.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #23
Malynda
Avalon Senior Member

The medium doesn't matter to me. A true friend is a true friend whether we have met face to face or not just as someone believed to be a friend can show true colors as not so good a friend whether they are online or face to face.
Malynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #24
smat
Avalon Senior Member

I believe that virtual or online friends/ friendships can be very real.
A lot of the regulars on here I see as friends.
I have a lot of internet friends and a lot of our friendships are very real. I see and interact more with people on the internet then I do in the flesh.
That's just me, all people are different. Some people that I've met on the internet I go round and visit them quite often. (by invitation of course, I'm no stalker).

It is so refreshing to be able to interact with people who have things in common with yourself, sharing information and ideas.

my real life friends, I normally see them if it's someones birthday or there is something good to watch at the cinema.
I do have a best friend, we meet up once a week or so and go for walks in the country side, have a cup of tea and a chat about real things (not about football or what tv show or celeb is good or not).

Some people have lots of friends, but when the chips are down how many of them are your real friends?

I am happy with my life and I am happy with my different groups of friends, they all are special to me and have a place in my heart.
smat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #25
micjer
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureyes View Post

I found another pic of you futureyes!!

Hope you were OK !!!