Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Global Ground Crew Networking > Australia and New Zealand

Notices

Old 09-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
Nyssa
Avalon Senior Member

Default Freeze dried food

Just wondering, does anyone know where in Australia we can order/stock up on long life food? Seems like there are a lot of options around the globe, but am finding it hard to locate a company in Australia that would put together good quality, simple packages of freeze dried food. Say for yearly supples.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
ISIS
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Freeze dried food

Hello Nyssa

You may want to contact via email to the companies below....especially

Happy Hovel Foods...

She is Australian , and worked in the Food Industry there before coming to America....she would most likely have contact info for you....

You may want to give it a try....nothing to loose.....

If you want the list of info that I took this from....please check out the Forum Post "A Simple Beginners's Guide To Food STorage"

Resources:
Bulk Organic Foods: Yelm Food Co-op - 404 1st Street South, Yelm, WA (360) 894-8151
Buckets: Ryco Packaging - Kent, WA (253) 872-0858
Nitrogen: Airgas or Pacific Welding, Olympia, WA
Pre-packaged Food Storage:
Happy Hovel Foods: info@happyhovelfoods.com
Healthy Harvest: annecassidy@fairpoint.net
Survival Center: info@survivalcenter.com

Peace and Light

Isis
ISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
vesta
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Nyssa,

just to let you know you can purchase a Fowlers Vacola dryer and then pack the food into snap lock bags or a vacuum packer system.

I purchased a dryer earlier this year to reduce waste from my fruit harvest and have used it to make fruit straps, ( they haven't lasted long at all as the kids have loved them), dried fruits and also dried veges and beans for future use. I figure if I can grow it and preserve it then I should be able to extend the families food choices thru the yr............ if you can locate good quality organic produce at a reasonable price I really believe this is the way to go while we can! Fruit can also be preserved in alcohol then both can be used seperately I have some great recipes for this too!

Blessings,

Vesta.
vesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:59 AM   #4
Nyssa
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks Isis,

I know of Happy Hovel Foods, they're great. They're fellow Ramtha students, that's how I first heard of them. They're really quick to get back to you about anything. I'm looking for something closer to home if i can find it, but they're always an option. Thanks for your post.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:05 AM   #5
Nyssa
Avalon Senior Member

Hi vesta,

Thanks, that sound like a good idea. I wonder the shelf life of that? Would love to see your recipes,

Nyssa.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:27 AM   #6
vesta
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Nyssa,

depending on how hungry ppl get would be how long it lasts in our house, LOL.

A really good job of dried food should last several yrs if dried and contained properly!

Likewise all preserved fruits and veg should last for several yrs. I have also been making jams and trying my hand at bottling. If you go to clearing sales @ country properties you can usually pick up bottling kits fairly cheaply, likewise bottles so all you should really need is new rings, ( relatively cheap and widely available).

Plenty of recipes to share if you want them, perhaps I can bring them with me if you intend to meet us in Nov?

Blessings,

Vesta.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
Tez
Retired Avalon Member

Post Re: Freeze dried food

I bought myself an EziDry 3 heat dehydrator and a Vacuum Packaging setup plus heaps of extra bags so i could do a variety of foods and have them at hand.

I have ordered a quantity of Mylar bags and Oxygen Absorbers to bulk pack a variety of grains and other consumables in 20 litre pails (shelf life would be in excess of 10 years i have found out) - good for packing anything you don't want air, moisture or bugs to ruin on you. Have a grain grinder to process the goodies when needed then.

Tez
Tez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:26 PM   #8
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Can anyone help me find a source for:

1) Hand operated grain mill - I'm drawing a blank and am considering importing one.

2) A source of nitrogen packed winter wheat. Or a source of wheat would be a start (one that didnt insist on a minimum order of 1000kg! :lol

Any ideas ?

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #9
vesta
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Anchor,

there's an ad in the back section of the latest Earth Garden mag for a PO box in Dandenong that you can request a catalogue from - they apparently supply Home Stone Flour Mills if this is of assistance to you?

Love & light,

Vesta.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:16 AM   #10
Nyssa
Avalon Senior Member

Here is a site for hand operated mills in Australia:

http://www.skippygrainmills.com.au/hand.htm - they have a few to choose from.

I ended up having one sent from the US. I wanted to make sure it would last, was easy to use etc. We got the Country Living Grain Mill, cost $350 - we got it $50 cheaper by requesting a 'blemished mill' which they sometimes have on offer. You can hardly notice the mark. We also bought extra stones and a repair kit for obvious reasons. Here's their site:

http://countrylivinggrainmills.com/

Cost over $100 to have it sent here though, so not the cheapest option, but am really happy with the grinder. It gives fine flower and easy to turn and is quick.

Hope this helps...

Nyssa.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:25 AM   #11
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Hope this helps...
Yes it does, thanks. My research also led to the country living mill being the best option. Did the australian vendor you list above import it or did you do it yourself ?

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #12
Nyssa
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Yes it does, thanks. My research also led to the country living mill being the best option. Did the australian vendor you list above import it or did you do it yourself ?

A..
I just e-mailed the site and they sent it to me from america. I'm not aware of an australian supplier, but that doesn't mean they're not out there. The guy in America that i talked to via e-mail was very helpful.

Nyssa.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:17 AM   #13
Gifts
Avalon Senior Member

These guys are great for storable meats and vegetables.

http://www.settlersfoods.com.au/

I wouldn't grab the drink though as it goes funny in the bag.

Don't overlook freeze dried peas and corn in your local supermarket and mashed potato.

Hope this helps.
Gifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:25 AM   #14
Nyssa
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesta View Post

Plenty of recipes to share if you want them, perhaps I can bring them with me if you intend to meet us in Nov?

Blessings,

Vesta.
Hey, don't know if I'll be in NSW in Nov, but maybe at a later date when we've moved, if these meetings continue. Nyssa.