Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:28 AM   #1
SoulSuspect

Default What do I do if things really go down?

First thing is, let me remind you of Laws of Attraction the more you think of something especially if you think you dont want that thing to happen i.e. everything crashing and going off the deep end. The more you will attract it but yes one must be prepared. Another thing is that everyone is talking about running to the woods which is cool for you but not me. Im staying in my community! I just want to know stratagies for organziation. Water im sure is at top of the list, growing food, and for me self protection. But how does one literally try and organize their community. Because im sure some people just want to go solo, but some might be down for organizing. Elect certain peoples to be in charge of certain things like food, medical, protection? or just ask everyone what they are willing to contribute? and lets say one organizes a little community im sure mapping out where water and food is, is of most importance, but so is outlining a perimeter of ones town? Anyway any advice on what to do if it all goes down. Which it wont by the way. lol laws of attraction think positve.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:31 AM   #2
SoulSuspect

Default Re: What do I do if things really go down?

Any Advice or basic stratigies?
Old 10-10-2008, 06:58 AM   #3
man_is_the_bastard
Avalon Senior Member

Southern or northern California? Southern? Great. ME too. I have actually, since being a regular reader here, considered relocating to some small community in a very lightly habited area in the Sierra mountains. That would mean leaving my family behind because I know I just could not convince them to move out of the city. The metropolis is just a perfect place for a disaster in my opinion. The thought of leaving my family behind while they have to deal with a great and possibly deadly crisis just kills me. Maybe I'm letting all this information I get from these internet communities get the best of me. And I am all for thinking positive and believing everything will be ok. Positive Mental Attitude.
man_is_the_bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
Lance
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSuspect View Post

There are soooo many threads covering the basic strategy that most people in the know of said strategies have given up on re-emitting them. Look, there are literally hundreds of threads ALL based upon first principles. Popping up and asking for answers that could just as easily be researched by YOU is NOT going to get you anywhere. What are you looking for exactly? What to plant when, what calibre of rifle to own, what barter items are good to have on hand or what to store? Where to go, how to get there? What ole timey song to memorize to sing the kids to bed when the CD fails?

Come on man, or woman, or droid or whatever. Do some research in the archive before you pounce on some sensational thread with little substance. For shame youngin, get thee to the 'older posts'. There is a search function.
Most of what is discussed at this point is becoming nuanced from the first principles. Look about, have some fun, read before posting. And don't, whatever you do, panic.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:44 AM   #5
SoulSuspect

Alright, im a droid by the way. My main thing was what do you do besides running for the woods. If you choose to stay. Everything I have researched just talks about escaping off to the woods. Well F**k that! Thanks for talking down to me though I feel better about asking for advice now. Droid out.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:02 AM   #6
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi SoulSuspect,

The problem about staying put (if you live in a city) is the tendancy of social unrest, there will be a concentration of disgruntled people and the law enforcement would have to call a curfew and control more (martial law?).

If you have land to grow, don't forget it will take three months or so for anything to show for it, and the financial crisis could have passed by then. If you are a city dweller, you probably will need to do one of two things:

Make a life changing decision and literally 'take to the hills', leave the city and look for an alternative lifestyle where you will live out the rest of your days living that style;

Staying put, stocking up with non-perishable foods, like rice, beans, flour, cuscuz etc. and sitting it out, protecting what you have. Some people have been saying to buy guns and ammo. Just that should give you an idea of how staying put will play out.

of course not everybody will take to the hills as they fear the unknown, I stated this in another post so it will only the decisie resolved people who will do this and consequently they will be searching for something instead of trying to protect something, so the tendency is of a more peaceful existence.

I would only suggest taking to the hills only to those people who are really decided they wish to do so, and not to those who are frightened, or are feeling obliged to do so. For those who like adventure and tough going, now is the opportunity.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:05 AM   #7
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Alright, im a droid by the way. My main thing was what do you do besides running for the woods. If you choose to stay. Everything I have researched just talks about escaping off to the woods. Well F**k that! Thanks for talking down to me though I feel better about asking for advice now. Droid out.
Hey chin up. What Lance said needed to be said - not just to you, but to a great many other people who are doing this.

Try not to take it personally. There is a lot of good stuff here if you look around. It might take you a few days - thats ok.

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:54 AM   #8
Avalon Senior Member

"My main thing was what do you do besides running for the woods. If you choose to stay. Everything I have researched just talks about escaping off to the woods. Well F**k that!"
I feel you. Steve A is right though about martial law (look how many of the LAPD treat people before they are labeled enemies). I believe there are 2 possibilities:
1) everyone in the cities stand together, peacefully, and refuse to be shipped off to camp or curfewed/imprisoned in their homes - the police and military join this and refuse their orders (realize the end game) and we ascend as human beings leaving the few to imprison themselves (maybe in their DUMBs)
2) people start freaking out (which is what the enemies is counting on) and all hell breaks loose and cities get locked down, people play ball or go to camp.
Either way when it hits the fan it is safer not to be in the city - you should know the signs - you'll know when that time is. Have a plan of escape via small road to a place only those close to you know. This is my opinion and differs from many here, but I don't want to be traveling in a large group or meet with one during the initial lockdown for obvious reasons.
I situation 2 I belive many will die and this will be the necessary catalist for this step of conciousness that will happen. Some of us have to be there for this to happen. It will happen at all levels. But I don't think in these scenareos that a sustainable comunity will be living out there days for long and I think alot of people are saying that they want to live this way until this end. Not me. Some of us have a path of peace and love and some of us must fight so that they may. I am confident that this is not the end of human kind nor will it be a prison planet much longer but what will have to happen for people to no only read about it but do something about it. My doing something about it is not spending this energy and little time we have planning out an unrealistic future starting a farm and community though it may buy some time will not leave a safe world to your children. Lastly some plans are best kept to yourself and people you know and trust.
186282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:52 PM   #9
undetected
Avalon Senior Member

Ok SoulSuspect, we seem to be on the same page here, although I'm not in the US so it's probably less dangerous here. I live in a small town and I don't plan on running anywhere unless it's really necessary. I'm staying here and dealing with whatever comes.

The stuff about food and water you'll read everywhere so instead I'll tell you something about the organizing of people. I have always been interested in these scenarios when things go "down" and people have to figure out things in new ways.

I'll throw in some advice from a perspective that few have. Call it "psychology of a post-apocalyptic society" or something like that. I'm not giving any scary ideas here, I'm actually enjoying this stuff. It's not general info, more like strategy tips for the socio-psychological aspect of things.

This may be a bit weird but I'll tell you, watch a few movies like Cube, Saw, Resident Evil and other zombie stuff, anything that deals with a bunch of people stuck somewhere with the common social structure collapsed. Even the TV show Lost. It will give you some ideas about how people behave in those situations. It can differ a lot from how they behave normally and shouldn't be underestimated. Of course if the movie is a horror it often deals with the worst but usually it's not as far-fetched as it may seem.

First rule - avoid panic and calm down any arising conflicts as soon as you can. When this stuff happens, people are nervous, worried, some even scared, and in such situations they do rash and silly things they would normally never do. They start arguing with others not because there's a problem, but because they get irritated with every little thing. And faced with hunger, insecurity, cold etc. they can do really bad things for really trivial reasons.

Someone strong has to act like everything is under control, even if it's not. If you can keep people calm, you can work on solutions for anything. If people feel like there's someone who knows what to do, it's easier for them to relax. Look at the people you work with, pick out those you deem most stable and talk to them, they can help you keep things under control.
The common first problem you see in these scenarios, is a physically strong guy with quick temper, low morals and selfish attitude. He doesn't care about anyone else, he only wants to satisfy his needs and he can kick your ass, so to speak. In a really critical situation, one such guy may be the sole cause of half of the group dying in no time. He will make others more stressed, angry, scared, paranoid about one another and you won't get anywhere like that.
So what you need here, is a physically strong guy with high morals and good attitude, preferably more of them, who can keep the troublemakers in check. People need to feel that someone strong is backing them up, not competing with them for survival. Keep everyone calm and act like there's no problem, even if you think things are ***ked.

Step two. Find out as much as you can about the people, not personal stuff but how each of them can be useful. And don't do it by going from one to another and asking questions. Won't work cause it'll make them uneasy and suspicious. You need to observe. It's really helpful if you have some knowledge of psychology. At this point you should already know who is resistant to stress. For those who aren't, look for what makes them feel comfortable. You need to have something to give them when they start freaking out suddenly.

Look for who's smart, they will help you solve technical problems.

Look who's an individual and who's cooperative. Some people feel good if they get a simple task that they're able to do. They know nothing about strategy but they'll do whatever you tell them if they feel like they're contributing. Others are uncooperative and have their own opinios. They need to see others are listening to their opinion and at least considering it. If they make any sense at all, try to let them do things their way and make them feel "important." Don't mix up these 2 kinds of people or you'll get in trouble. If you need people to work, give first tasks to those who are willing. If those unwilling are the last ones doing nothing, it's easier to convince them to contribute.

Listen to whatever everyone has to say, it may prove important. If people have something on their mind and others keep ignoring them, they get annoyed and close themselves. Keep people open and willing to trust each other. Once people start following their own goals behind your back instead of working together, things will get out of hand. Also, even if you have an idea what to do, think about other people's different suggestions cause sometimes they can actually come up with good ideas. And they may know things you don't know. If anyone shows any particular knowledge about anything in your area, learn more from them, it may come in handy later.

Another thing - look out for when someone starts blaming another member of the group of something. You'll see that it's usually totally irrelevant whose fault what was. Make people focus not on what caused a problem but how to solve it. If something was proveably someone's fault, try to achieve so that he apologizes, the other one forgives him and everyone moves on. Teach them to act like this so that they get their minds off the conflict as quickly as possible. Don't leave conflicts unresolved or they will bring them up later. And make sure if you screw up you apologize. Be the role model.

Speaking about that, if there's something unpleasant to be done and nobody wants to do it, if possible, say that you'll do it and do it. It will help you a lot. Not only some will be more inclined to volunteer next time, but also if you show that you're willing to do some hard dirty work for the sake of others, they'll be less likely to criticize you for anything and more likely to listen to you.

All this advice is pretty much for someone who can be a "sort of" leader. If you can do it, great, but don't push this "leader" thing too far. Get things done but don't go ordering people around and looking important. Don't create a gap between you and them, just be an ordinary guy, have a good relationship with everyone, praise them for their work etc. Let them feel like they're handling things on their own. If you don't have it in you to do this at all, just remember the information so you can give advice to whoever has the will and charisma to do the job.

I could probably write about this all day long so I'll stop now. To sum it up, make people as calm and comfortable as possible, keep them away from fear, anger and any trivial conflicts, observe them, listen to them, learn about them, make everyone feel as an important part of the group. If you can do this, the group will be able to solve any problem that comes from outside. If there are problems inside the group, everything will be a mess.

That's about it for now, if you have questions, ask.
undetected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #10
Boober
Avalon Senior Member

So in relation to these groundplans, if anything went down, are there any real groups on avalon who have met up and discussed the topic above?
Boober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #11
Stardustaquarion
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
First thing is, let me remind you of Laws of Attraction the more you think of something especially if you think you dont want that thing to happen i.e. everything crashing and going off the deep end. The more you will attract it but yes one must be prepared. Another thing is that everyone is talking about running to the woods which is cool for you but not me. Im staying in my community! I just want to know stratagies for organziation. Water im sure is at top of the list, growing food, and for me self protection. But how does one literally try and organize their community. Because im sure some people just want to go solo, but some might be down for organizing. Elect certain peoples to be in charge of certain things like food, medical, protection? or just ask everyone what they are willing to contribute? and lets say one organizes a little community im sure mapping out where water and food is, is of most importance, but so is outlining a perimeter of ones town? Anyway any advice on what to do if it all goes down. Which it wont by the way. lol laws of attraction think positve.
It depends on the country you live and the levels of crime of your neighbourhood.

Here in Britan people have an incredible capacity to organize themselves fairly rapidly. It is like a wave to solve the problem

I seen loots of extreme circumstances here and people keep calm and keep going

A friend used to say, jumping up and down will not make the train come faster...so you are late? patience

As for the rest, it is good policy to start making friends with your neighbours, stock on dry goods like beans and cereals, alternative ways of cooking or learn how to eat raw, learning how to grown veggies

Heat is a problem, there are no alternative ways of heating other than burning things and that will not last. I discovered some waistcoats that can be heated with batteries, they work and the batteries can be recharged with solar chargers

Purifying water, you need a suspension purifyers as all others depend of mains preassure and the distilers on electricity

If you have electricity and your neighbors don't you are in trouble, its called human nature

Harvesting water depends where you live. In desertic areas are using moisture collectors, there are some examples in Peru

Browsing the undevelop countries is really good as they have cheap and effective solutions like solar ovens or cookers that are just made of carboard, they work even in Britain in the summer, can be user to sanitize water too

If you live in a cold area, suitable outdoors clothing for indoors can be very handy. Also creating a hot room with duvet covers

Love
Stardustaquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:38 PM   #12
Stardustaquarion
Avalon Senior Member

Other indispensable things

Duck tape, plastic dust sheets, rubbish bin liners, wind up torches, tin foil, cling film, solar batteries charger, wind up radio, toilet paper (it wont last forever but it helps to start with)

Love
Old 03-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
K626
Avalon Senior Member

Adding to what Steve A was saying earlier (and it is sterling advice), the most important thing will be to listen and trust you 'inner voice'. At this time all who ask will be given.
K626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
Stardustaquarion
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boober View Post
So in relation to these groundplans, if anything went down, are there any real groups on avalon who have met up and discussed the topic above?
Hi mate

Most of us are alone in our neighborhoods, no many people has time for forethought or want to spend time thinking of possible disaster scenarios. Most citizens rely on the goverment for help and can not start to think that governments may fail. Saying that, there will be many civil servants amongst populations that will help no doubt

In any case you have to deal with your neighborhood and find the right kind of synergy which is where spiritual and social training comes in, not to autonominate yourself as leader but to be able to listen and coordinate things in a egalitarian way

It is difficult to know who amongst ordinary people will turn out to be a leader in those circumstances or whether one will be necessary but, we seem to be the ones called to gather information to pass it on to the ones that have not organized themselves. It is a kind of "soul contract" if you want to call it that

Similar like a living library of wisdom because if all goes down there will be no internet and no transport

Love
Old 03-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #15
wynderer
Avalon Senior Member

years ago i heard Rolling Thunder speak at an A.R.E. conference -- he told us that some rich people in southern CA had flown him in & put him up nicely in order to ask him when the Big One was coming, & where they should move to be safe -- he told them, 'If you gotta go, you gotta go' [referring to death]

i think it's of course a good idea to stock up & choose where you want to be [if you have enough $$ to do so]-- Stalin said that people in cities were easier to control than those in rural areas -- of course he didn't have drones & microwave weapons & stuff like that

but, if things get as bad as they could -- the nwo plans succeeding -- i think our only hope will be in our inner connection to the Creator & in those around us who do not succumb to the darkside -- that's a big hope, directly connected to the Light

Peace & Freedom, wynderer
wynderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #16
Stardustaquarion
Avalon Senior Member

Talking about synchronicities, a C2C video about disaster preparedness

there are 15 parts above being part one

Love
Old 03-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #17
pyrangello
Avalon Senior Member

Staying calm, making calculated decisions, and realize there are more good people on this earth then there are of the dark side. That countries citizens will pull together when a dark horse arrives. Good will triumph over evil. Believe that , live that and keep a constant mind frame even in the absolute worst of times that things are going to get better, it's just a question of when.

In the history of mankind and civilization, all the wars, famine, and disasters somehow there is always a new beginning. Roll with your intuition not when facing fear, but challanges and you''l be fine. Don't look at this in the next coming years as the end, but as a correction for a new beginning starting by the end of 2013. Thats the point of reference we need to get to .
pyrangello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:37 AM   #18
Boober
Avalon Senior Member

Lightbulb! You remember back in the school days when they had fire drills, or whatever type of drills. Someone should organize community drills, just in case something ever happens. Community earthquake drills, fire drills, world is about to end drills, nuclear fallout drills. Make an attempt at this.
Boober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:28 AM   #19
waitinginthewings
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
It really all depends on where you live, what type of community you live in, what is the average age of your community members. Do you live in a highrise, a house etc. The answer to these questions will help you decide on whether you can approach your neighbors & start generating some ideas on how to help each other out. For now, you need to start a cupboard filled with all the basic foods. Tinned & dried goods for sure. large containers of water, first aid supplies, some flu remedies.....these are the basics to survival. If there are elders in your immediate vicinity, talk to them, they will already have experienced hardship in the earlier lives & will give you some ideas also.
You have to start somewhere, so start with filling your cupboards with the essentials, then look around at who your neighbors are.
waitinginthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:31 AM   #20
waitinginthewings
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardustaquarion View Post
Talking about synchronicities, a C2C video about disaster preparedness

there are 15 parts above being part one

Love
Stardust....you are an Angel & timely with this current info. Thank you. Bookmarked.
waitinginthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:46 AM   #21
Carrie1971
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boober View Post
Yes. The PNW crew. Hands on work day last year.. Just remember.

Keep your head clear. Thoughts are the power way more than actions. Listen to your heart/soul. The answers are within.
Carrie1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:46 AM   #22
Rocky_Shorz
Avalon Senior Member

one thing I have seen in many of the discussions is the fear of mentioning your location to meet and I myself think if the brown stuff hits the fan the last thing on authorities minds will be searching out the location and gunning everyone down.

Ground crews in many of the areas have picked out locations with water close by as in creeks rivers or lakes and many like myself have portable purifiers for cleansing the water so it can be drank.

I have already been tossed into the fire a few times and know already if a major earthquake struck and buildings were crushed close to me that I would most likely be an organizer to get people concentrating on what needs to be done instead of running around in terror.

expect communications to be knocked out most likely electricity, running water, all the things we take for granted on a day to day basis would be gone.

As the national guards roll in, I wouldn't be worried they were coming to pick me up, most likely they would be a bunch of scared kids looking forward to some direction in a crisis.

In this I would lead, and once the dust had settled would gather my family and friends and head off to where the ground crew had chosen for a meeting place, to lay out plans for what is next.
Rocky_Shorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:59 AM   #23
Rocky_Shorz
Avalon Senior Member

and actually, I think the ones trying to keep secrets on where to meet, are being a little selfish and looking out for numero uno...

I have 2 boxes in my garage filled with rice and beans enough to feed a small army for the short term. The cost is cheap and you will be able to help others in need. In a natural disaster coming together with everyone around you is what is required.

That is what community preparedness is all about.

If I was driving and saw 4 children on the side of the road crying from hunger, could I pass them on my way to a feast of thanks?

My ground crew already knows not to be surprised when they show up with me...
Old 03-15-2010, 04:13 AM   #24
Rocky_Shorz
Avalon Senior Member

Just think for a minute of some of the stories that came out of New Orleans when disaster struck...

a hardened criminal had broke into a store and was stealing a wide screen TV, and while on his way back home heard cries of help, looking over he realized a lady would drown if she wasn't helped, there was no one else around so he took a deep breath tossed his dream TV into the currents and swam over and saved the ladies life...

we have been told by so many experts that martial law would have to happen in an emergency, because everyone would go crazy. But the truth is an event of that magnitude brings the best out of people...

Helping people is how the human race has survived all these years...

and we will survive anything we need to face, and we will do it by working together...