Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 09-18-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
noelnewell
Avalon Senior Member

Default New fad - skulls and skeletons on kids' clothes

I was clothes shopping for my grandchildren a couple weeks back and was creeped out by how many shirts of different brands had some sort skull or skeleton design on it. Even toddler clothes! It was all over the stores. Normally that sort of thing doesn't bother me (one of my son's was into goth and gaming) but to see it all around in that commercial environment made me think of "hiding information in plain sight" and I envisioned anyone wearing such designs died.

Anyone else notice?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Angel Kitty 009.jpg (95.2 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by noelnewell; 09-18-2008 at 04:15 PM.
noelnewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
Nik
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: New fad - skulls and skeletons on kids' clothes

They have been popular for a few years now. Whether or not this is the work of the 'higher-ups' or a reflection of the current generation mentality.. I do not know.

Desensitization perhaps?

This links in with your 'goth and gaming' comment. Although the 'goth' culture does not directly relate to gaming, in fact see here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7621412.stm ), it is true that a major proportion of games are clearly violent. Here perhaps it is not only desensitization but the promotion of a killing mentality? To dumb-down the masses?

(I was an avid gamer - hundreds of titles played, even wrote reviews - and have links to the game industry through several projects.)
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
noelnewell
Avalon Senior Member

I actually have no problem with gaming. It is an incredible way to study and strategize darker energies...as long as one remains stable (meaning not giving into a role so much you end up losing yourself in one way or the other). I wasn't trying to lump goth with gaming so much as to say I have been introduced to it by one of my sons and I trust him to express himself however he needs to....do what you will but harm none. And he follows that fairly well.
noelnewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:16 PM   #4
gordon
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
New fad - skulls and skeletons on kids' clothes
It is the conspiracy of the 'skull and bones'?
gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #5
elka
Avalon Senior Member

the skull and bones symbolism on all this fashion in recent times is a sigil message to the world: somebody is sending a message of death to all!!
Most people have no idea they are bombarded with symbolism which is a part of a magical message of the world illuminati! Of course nobody seems to notice it, only a few observant individuals!
elka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #6
sunnyrap
Avalon Senior Member

Yes--I have a VERY fashion-conscious teen son, and shop with him a lot. They are on everything, along with knives, guns, blood and other violent symbols. He refuses to buy or wear anything with a skull on it, considering it to be 'gang' related. But there are other points of view on merely skeletons and the skull: The Hispanic culture has a definitely non-negative 'handle' on skulls and skeletons, considering them to be symbols of good luck. But there is a tremondous amount of 'desensitizing' violent themes applied to all areas of the American culture which you are right to loathe and avoid, imo.
sunnyrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:07 AM   #7
atama
Avalon Senior Member

Talking Re: New fad - skulls and skeletons on kids' clothes

every little kid on the GC has a black jumper with golden skulls all over it. they all look like little occult-lings. i think it's more than just putting a message out there, i think it shows how people are freely willing to wrap themselves up in death. they look crxp as well.
atama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:23 AM   #8
oxjmaups2005xo
Avalon Senior Member

no everyone its not an occult thing its ok its just a fashon thing started by the ed hardy hiphop clothing company started in new york city. just thought id mention it before everyone gets carried away.
oxjmaups2005xo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:07 AM   #9
ocan
Avalon Senior Member

Actually, I was quite surprised to see this fashion trend in the U.S. because in Mexico it has been made fashionable for a long time. The skull and skeleton is a part of the Mexican culture specifically because of the day of the dead, a day were people gather to celebrate their deceased loved ones not as a sorrowful event but as a happy and joyous one to remember them.
For example "La Catrina" is a "1913 zinc etching by Mexican printmaker José Guadalupe Posada. The image has since become a staple of Mexican imagery, and often is incorporated into artistic manifestations of the Day of the Dead in November, such as altars and calavera costumes. The etching was part of his series of calaveras, which were humorous images of contemporary figures depicted as skeletons, which often were accompanied by a poem." [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catrina] Things like this have become an icon of the Mexican culture.
Many artists use this icon in their art, for example, [http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/trave...145mjdod1.html], [http://disintergrate.deviantart.com/...zucar-75015891], [http://www.fabricattic.com/Calaveras%20skulls%20red.jpg] and [http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...kles/skull.jpg] . Another traditional use of the skeleton is in figures called calacas. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calaca] [http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/trave...asmuertos.html]
ocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #10
banshee
Avalon Senior Member

Wink Re: New fad - skulls and skeletons on kids' clothes

Delete

Last edited by banshee; 11-30-2008 at 07:33 AM.
banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
arcora
Banned

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

--Sigmund Freud

edit...added...

Thinking about this more, it could very well be a reflection of mass conciousness feeling of despair.

Last edited by arcora; 09-20-2008 at 12:01 PM.
arcora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:19 PM   #12
Nenuphar
Avalon Senior Member

I work in an elementary school (grades K-7) and have noticed this fashion trend as well. At first, I told myself to chill out, that I was reacting just because I was thinking in terms of what little girls wore when I was a child. I still find it a little unnerving, though, a little "rough" when both boys and girls wear this all over their clothes.

What really threw me was when, one day circulating around a grade 4 classroom while students were drawing and working on art projects, several of the little girls were doodling skulls and knives. They thought it was cool.

In my day (and I'm not that old!) it was flowers, animals, hearts, names, etc.

Eek...

Nenuphar

Last edited by Nenuphar; 09-20-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Nenuphar is offline   Reply With Quote