Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Global Ground Crew Networking > United States

Notices

Old 09-10-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
Wormhole
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Pacific Northwest Ground Crew

Just a quick note, I am pleased to see that this thread is host to a great diversity of beliefs and religious backgrounds. I think that diversity is the definition of a healthy society. I am proud to be in the heady cultural gumbo of the Pacific North West!

SEIRCRAM: The house building web site that I was referencing earlier is calearth.org I spoke to my friend Hooman on the phone and his email address is hoomanfazly@yahoo.com, please feel free to ask him questions, he is looking forward t hearing from you and anyone else who likes what they see on the site!

Peace of Mind,
Wormhole
Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:55 AM   #2
elijah_house

Hi Wormhole,
You asked where we had purchased our radio equipment, mostly off of ebay over the past 5 years as money allowed. Also we just purchased a book through our food coop,
"Azure Standard" entitled "Preserving Food Without Freezing or Canning" by Terre Vivante. I think this book may have some of the information you were asking about earlier. We should get the book in about 10 days, so I will let you know what I found out. Elijah_house
Old 09-10-2008, 03:09 AM   #3
Carrie1971
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormhole View Post
Thank you again Carrie1971, so how are you storing up your apples?

Peace of Mind,
Wormhole

Some are frozen for pies. Nothing like a hot apple pie fresh from the oven...

Most of this batch will be apple sauce. I have two more boxes to do.

Someone posted about root cellers. The real key is underground you can even dig a "trench line it and put away enough to use in a couple of weeks in each trench."

You put cabbage, potatoe, carrots any thing that can be used from a celler. IF you need to store grain use a air tight bucket and drop a small square of dry ice "wrap in paper towel".. Pour in the grain / flour is o.k. as well then seal as soon as you see the "steam" which is the vapor showing all the O2 has been forced out. This is also a way you can store small buckets of very good apples... That is what they do in those huge storeage places control the amount of oxygen and keep them from freezing With apples you do well to wrap each one in a tissue paper first and make sure each one is sound.

I will post more on storage of food if asked.

I do have a question... How many of you have on hand right now enough distilled water to last 10 to 15 days. "This would be in case of your water not being in the tap".
Carrie1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:08 AM   #4
Providence
Avalon Senior Member

Hi all – This post address volcanoesm, tsunamis and quakes, oh my!

Thanks everyone for some great posts! I love being part of this Ground Crew – I don’t feel so alone or nuts anymore. However, I have to admit that this is distracting me during the weekdays! Perhaps I need to start a new thread for those like me to learn moderation – this website is ADDICTIVE! After this post tonight I am only allowing myself to post on the weekends….!

Being a Geologist, I thought I would respond to some concerns voiced about earthquakes, subduction zones, tsunamis and volcanoes here in the PNW. Indeed! - All of these phenomena are related and need to be considered. However…

As most of us know, we live near a subduction zone. Basically, this means that we live on the leading edge of a continental plate (the North American Plate to be specific), which is slowly colliding with an oceanic plate (the Juan De Fuca plate to be exact). When our advancing continental shelf runs up and over the oceanic plate, forcing the oceanic plate deep down into the earth, all of that “good earth stuff” that comprised the oceanic plate melts. The melt eventually makes its way back up topside and spews out lovely melted magma from our dearly departed oceanic crust (very simplified mind you and its mixed with other stuff of course). The result? The everlasting beauty of our Cascade Mountain Range, of course!

We have all been warned about the mega thrust earthquakes that occur out here every 500 years or so. And yes we are about due for another one. A large subduction earthquake would be in the range of 7.0 – 8.0 on the Richter Scale, which is a logarithmic scale; i.e. for every increase in whole number, the energy released by the earthquake increases by a factor of 10. So, A 7.0 would release 10 x the energy of a 6.0. A 9.0 would really be a whopper!!

So….. a few thoughts:

1. Not all earthquakes will result in widespread devastation. Depending on the type of energy released, the epicenter of the quake, and the construction of buildings, the devastation can be a little or a lot. Most of our earthquakes in the PNW happen off the coast, within the subduction zone area. Quakes also occur very frequently (in the 2.0 to 3.0 range around most all of our volcanoes. For those of you in Oregon, please check out DOGAMIs website for excellent information on earthquake destruction zones, maps, tsunami information. Here is the link:

http://www.oregongeology.com/sub/default.htm

2. Not all earthquakes release tsunamis. It depends where the earthquake is centered, its depth, and the general direction of the energy expended. Sometimes people in an earthquake can tell the direction from which the earthquake originated. As a Geologist, it is hard to believe that even a 9.0 earthquake occurring off the coast of Oregon would create a tsunami large enough and with enough volume of water to reach Portland, which is approximately 70 miles inland and upstream of Astoria. Even with a 100 foot tsunami wave, the vertical (over the coast range) and horizontal (the areal mass it must cover) hurdles would be immense, likely reducing the tsunami effect to near nothing.

3. In the event of a volcanic eruption, Seattle and Portland would not be wiped out. But…depending on wind direction either city could be affected by ash. Also, large debris flows could move into the Duwamish River. But Seattle’s biggest impact would come from debris being washed into Elliot Bay. Would Seattle be wiped out by a volcanic eruption? NO. As for Portland, it could be affected by light ash falls from an erupting Mt. Hood but it would not be affected by lava flows, lahars or anything like that. Would Portland be wiped out by a volcanic eruption? No.

There are some good websites that you can go to where you can find well researched, science-based information on the potential for natural disasters to occur in these areas. But I must warn you these fact-based websites based on years of scientific study so they won’t be as much fun to read or get excited as the multitude of disinformation out there.

I figure that my best chances for making good decisions about the safety me and my family and now all of us in our Ground Crew is to do my best to try to separate the speculation and fear-mongering from the truth and reality. I try to cross-check what I read on alternative webpages to make sure what I am reading makes sense to me…. What is great about our newly formed e-group is that if I do come across something that distresses me (economically, politically, or naturally) I can post it here for comment!
Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:51 AM   #5
doodah
Avalon Senior Member

I've read all the posts here and will post because years ago I had many dreams about being part of a team. In those dreams, the team was always sent off "to the Northwest." Now, I can truthfully say that, from that place inside myself where my inspiration comes from, I am not truly drawn to the Northwest, but that's what the dreams were about. So I don't know what that means for me, whether I'll end up in the Northwest or not. I keep waiting for that internal guidance to kick in again.

Nonetheless, this is a very good practical discussion. Just in case I do get drawn to the Northwest, it's great to know about you folks. I have many survival skills and all kinds of low-tech living skills and would pretty much like to be living primitively now, even without any thoughts of threats of destruction.

In terms of community, it's really important to examine what your true feelings are about living without modern stuff, including electricity, metals, wire, paper, and hot water. If you love primitive camping, you'll have no problem until your modern gear breaks or wears out. If you think you'll have a database ... do you think you can happily live without it? Can you make pots out of clay? And if you don't have clay, can you still find a way to make pots?

Anything stored up from the modern world will be used up at some point because you've got to be thinking in terms of years here. The old skills will be what is needed. Working with your hands, working with the land, and all the physical labor that entails. If you have no skills at all other than office skills, please learn something now, anything that would be useful in a non-electric world.

I would recommend that everyone should have a really good pair of hiking boots, a knife, and a firestarter (not a Bic or Zippo), and know how to build a fire.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:26 AM   #6
Carrie1971
Avalon Senior Member

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/index.php

I check that site daily there are many other ways to look on the web page if you just go to usgs.gov you can get everything from water movement to mud flows. Any area of "Earth Science" is found there. If you have been looking you can understand that many subduction quakes are followed by a range building event. Rainer is the big guy it is covered with ice the ice never melts even in the hot summer due to how high the top is. That is why the mud flow could present a major traffic jam. Or not..

I am going now.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:48 AM   #7
Norval
Banned

Was about to sign off and spotted this part and thread.
Here I am.
Nice to meet yah all.

From another forum a post I made.
" New guy here, so just a few cents worth. As an old time ham radio guy and current user of VHF Marine and CB radios( i live on a boat), I think that radio is probably going to be the only things active. The more wattage (power) the better. Good high ground, and antennas, will help a great deal in talking and listening ability. A source of possible communication would be a local ham radio person. You can recognize them by the big antennas above their homes. We should all be looking up anyway. Many of them are interested in what is being discussed here at Avalon."
Norval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
Providence
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Carrie1971 - The thing about earthquakes in the PNW is that there will eventually be the BIG one and so few people will be prepared. The 72-hour kit will not be enough, I think preparation for at least two weeks to keep you afloat before any services start to come back. I am having trouble now trying to pull together an "urban survival kit" to handle these types of disasters for my family AND prepare for a much more ominous world catastrophe.... I think I could plan a move from the US to the southern hemisphere, but I would have to do a LOT of convincing to a lot of people... so its just not possible for me right now. But as it is, I am thinking of researching places in southern Oregon, perhaps near Steens Mountain. It is very isolated down there are quite out of the way....

Also, Norval - I was considering a HAM radio but have read that it is expensive and that unless you are prepared to operate one that it may not be worth it? Can you tell us if there is some kind of HAM-related radio that someone might purchase to just "listen in" on the goings on? I am just now beginning to look. What about shortwave radio? I told someone earlier that I am thinking of a shortwave radio as I grew up listening to that with my parents. Is there some kind of radio we should be investing in?

Thanks so much.
Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:00 PM   #9
elijah_house

Hi Norval,
We have drake 3 transceivers and hallicrafter model S382 transceiver, we are still looking for dc power supplies for the drake (we have a dc 3 and tr 3). Most of our stuff is tube because it is impervious to the electromatic pulse of nuclear bombs. My husband was in the coast guard for 14 years active duty and 3 years reserve, the field he worked in was electronics/communications.
We also have a Ham Radio and Morse Code software course and exams which we have not completed yet. We also have schematics for almost all the tube radios out there on CD's. We also have antennas. Do you know of a source for dc power supplies.
We have a lot of other miscellaneous radio equipment, always had the intention of getting Ham radio operator license. So now may be the time to get going on this project. I spent some time in Ecuador with some Christinan Missionaries and he was a Ham Operator, this is of course how he communicated with friends and families in the states. This is what sparked my interest in this area and my husband has a background in the coast guard in electronics/communications and is working on the technical part of repairing the old equipment.
elijah_house
Old 09-10-2008, 05:09 PM   #10
Norval
Banned

Hello Providence and elijah_house, and to all reading here.

Try this area of the forum to get filled in on some of the info about radio communications potentials.

Ham Radio stuff
http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/showthread.php?t=300
Project Avalon Forum, Resources, How to learn about stuff, Amateur Radio
Old 09-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #11
noelnewell
Avalon Senior Member

I live in Mt Baker's shadow...near Bellingham. I also have had many thoughts about establishing community thorughout my life, but never really knew how to act upon it. I have scanned most of the posts and everything listed by everyone is what I have already read or started to plan for my/our future.

This is an old, but interesting article on money and different views of economy.

http://www.yesmagazine.org/article.asp?ID=886

It comes off of this site, well worth checking out,

http://www.fourthcornerexchange.com/

However the article is written by Bernard Lietaer ( who wrote a book called "The Future of Money" which none of the US book publishers would publish in the US). Anyway it's a great resource to re-think and re-tool how we want our community economy to look like.

I am not an economist, which is why I have been trying to figure out how to do things differently (meaning with respect to others and earth).
noelnewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:51 PM   #12
Wormhole
Avalon Senior Member

Hey DOODAH: Nice to have you with us. I lived off grid in New Mexico for several years, it was the best time I ever had. I was by myself in a straw-bale adobe, with a living roof. I put in a gravity feed well on the hill with use of a windmill to pump the water up, got a solar panel and went to the car section of the hardware store. Bought a deep cycle battery and headlights and hooked up my lighting system for under $100. Hot water was heated on the wood stove and from a black hose and reflection system off the roof, though I had a propane refrigerator, I began experimenting with ammonia in a closed hose system, I was able to get freezing temperatures by letting the sun heat the hose! I think it is possible to set up a solar refrigeration system that is closed and never needs to use fuel. Unfortunately, I never finished the project and I live in the city, though I'm in a geo-thermal building, I miss the country. I've been looking for a place to rent out in Washington or Oregon and I am still trying to make up my mind as to where the best area would be. I'd like to plant a garden again! Glad to have you with us. I have also had the dreams, though different, but I know what you mean.

Peace of Mind,
Wormhole
Old 09-11-2008, 12:01 AM   #13
Wormhole
Avalon Senior Member

NORVAL: Just getting into being a HAM. I'm glad your here to help out. I am also trying to see what I can get going on limited funds. Just now I'm inch-worming my way through the "Radio Amateur's Handbook". I don't have the lingo to talk shop yet, so I think I'll be quiet and read! Welcome to the thread!

Peace of MInd,
Wormhole
Old 09-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #14
Norval
Banned

Hi Wormhole,
The best and first radio is one that can be run on 12 volts DC (common car batteries)
and household current (110 vac (volts Alternating Current)) Get one that can receive or
tune as many bands / frequencies as you can. Dog whistle to microwave if possible. Play
with it, get to know and how to use it. Many of the ham radio folks are very interested in
just what we are researching here.
Nice to meet Yah.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #15
Wormhole
Avalon Senior Member

I'll be headed out of "range" for a week, I can't wait to come back and see how Avalon has grown! I have a question for PROVIDENCE: In your opinion, do you think that the quake activity has increased or has our capacity to measure increased and thus it appears as though there is more activity, when in fact we are simply just aware of it more often? If activity has increased, what are your theories?

Peace of Mind,
Wormhole
Old 09-11-2008, 10:49 PM   #16
empathy
Avalon Senior Member

Hello NW ground crew!

I live in seattle,
I am a welder, shipyard lacky.

I am glad to see this thread alive and well. Seems we got the "right stuff"

Well, cheers. be posting soon. If you have any questions for me feel free to PM.
empathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #17
empathy
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norval View Post
Hi Wormhole,
The best and first radio is one that can be run on 12 volts DC (common car batteries)
and household current (110 vac (volts Alternating Current)) Get one that can receive or
tune as many bands / frequencies as you can. Dog whistle to microwave if possible. Play
with it, get to know and how to use it. Many of the ham radio folks are very interested in
just what we are researching here.
Nice to meet Yah.
If anyone has the resources. A good crystal radio system is the best you can get, and you dont need to power it.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:46 AM   #18
elijah_house

Welcome empathy,
I have 2 grown sons that live in your neck of the woods. Always good to have new talent on board
Old 09-13-2008, 03:09 AM   #19
doodlebug
Avalon Senior Member

Hello All
Douglas County checking in! BTW Newly Awakened, thanks for the great tip using trash cans for water, I have been wracking my brain for ideas for large-capacity water storage on a tight budget. I have some 5-8 gallon containers filled, and buy more each pay day along with reusing milk jugs and 2 liter bottles.
Also, it is the harvest season for many fruits and vegetables, I got a dehydrator at Walmart for under $40 and have been using that quite a bit. Dried and powdered up some eggs as an experiment, worked great!
For skills, not really any technical ones. I am co-op minded, and usually have people in need of some help sharing my home with me. At this point, I am the only one in my household who has awakened, I am hoping the others are coming along soon.
I am enjoying this thread, a lot of great ideas
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:34 AM   #20
elijah_house

Hi Doodle bug,
We are in southern Oregon, klamath county, we lived in douglas county for awhile.
Here is a link for quality bulk foods and is based right here in Oregon, www.azurestandard.com, you can purchase items online or form a coop which is what we have done, with a large enough order they drop the shipping charges, thus the benefit of the coop. We have been very pleased with their products and have been purchasing from them for several years. They have a large variety of goods including bulk items, organic, dried fruits, beans, rice, grains, flours, seeds, healthy snacks, dairy products and even refrigerated items, frozen items and produce. elijah_house
Old 09-13-2008, 11:28 PM   #21
Mizar
Avalon Senior Member

Doodlebug, trash cans are great as a quick fix, but the plastic does contain small amounts of lead. If you own your place and plan on staying for awhile check out;
www.conservationtechnology.com
and download their rainwater collection catalog, they have everything, pumps, filters, storage etc.
Right now, my storage is a single rainwater collector from Lee Valley, only holds 40 gallons.
M
Mizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:00 AM   #22
Norval
Banned

Speaking of trash cans, we use the old galv. metal ones with a heavy construction trash bag liner sealed inside the metal trash can to store our bulk emergency food in. Rodents can't get into them and they are water tight when sealed with caulking.

Yes, an old type crystal radio set is good too.

Many good ideas here, many talents showing up also. Living aboard a boat gives the option of changing locations with all your possessions quickly. Not ocean travel capable though but I could make it to Alaska if I had to.

My wife and I are "into" what these "visitors" are up to here on earth. Disclosure, I am sure, will be more catastrophic than any war we have thus far seen. Sorry to say, but most people are not going to make the room for change, as I recently heard, "some won't, or can't adjust their thinking." Many will be the blind leading the blind so to put it.

NEVER give up hope. It is yours, just like your personal integrity and honor, those things can never be taken from you.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #23
Northboy
Avalon Senior Member

Hello,
I'm new here also.
I live in the centre of BC and work in economic development (NGO)
My background includes Banking, small business. I have government contacts as well as private at some interesting levels.

Pacific Northwest (Cascadia) is interesting as a base as it already is being hived off into an economic region (PNWER.org) which includes Alaska, Yukon, Alberta,British Columbia, Washington, Idaho, Montana and Oregon. This means the platform to create a self sustaining unit is already in place, if we know how to use it.

In the meantime, we need a project to put activities to ground. I would suggest the forming of a matrix of local markets, farmers markets and community markets so that we can provide a base to build small business off....This takes coordination not cash and it will give us something to sink our teeth into.

As for nukes and other scares, its best we deal with the problems of the day as they unfold rather than speculate....Speculation is a weapon of the other side.
Northboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:34 AM   #24
Carrie1971
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norval View Post
Speaking of trash cans, we use the old galv. metal ones with a heavy construction trash bag liner sealed inside the metal trash can to store our bulk emergency food in. Rodents can't get into them and they are water tight when sealed with caulking.

Yes, an old type crystal radio set is good too.

Many good ideas here, many talents showing up also. Living aboard a boat gives the option of changing locations with all your possessions quickly. Not ocean travel capable though but I could make it to Alaska if I had to.

My wife and I are "into" what these "visitors" are up to here on earth. Disclosure, I am sure, will be more catastrophic than any war we have thus far seen. Sorry to say, but most people are not going to make the room for change, as I recently heard, "some won't, or can't adjust their thinking." Many will be the blind leading the blind so to put it.

NEVER give up hope. It is yours, just like your personal integrity and honor, those things can never be taken from you.

When I was a young person a older person remembered the War of the worlds it was only a Radio show. The story was that we were being "invaded" by people from mars... I guess there were more than a few people who ran into the streets. It makes me wonder what will happen when the national news has 24 7 coverage???

Life is a Gift and I know my soul was given a great one to be here at this "time / place".
Old 09-15-2008, 05:52 AM   #25
empathy
Avalon Senior Member

Empathy here, I guess I have many skills that are useful. I have an understanding of metallurgy and repair work on ships. I know a bit about gardening, and can climb a tree... with a chainsaw. I have a lot of energy and am always willing to help those who are truly in need. Who knows what kind of bizarre circumstances we will be facing here in the northwest, I live in the Puget sound area and when the %#$^ hits the fan you need all the grunts you can get. And I am a genuine Grunt.

Please add me to your friends list only if you are a person who understands what response-ability means. Thanks and good luck this winter. It's not the end of the world ^_^;.... right?