Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

Default Uk unemployment tops two million! have you been made unemployed have your say here!

Unemployment passes two million
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7947766.stm

Owen Bednall lost his job at the BMW plant in Cowley in mid-February

UK unemployment has risen above two million for the first time since 1997, official figures have shown.

During the three months to January, the number of people unemployed totalled 2.03 million, up by 165,000, said the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

For February, the number of people getting jobseeker's allowance added a record 138,400 to reach 1.39 million.

There are now 10 jobseekers for every vacancy advertised in UK jobcentres, the TUC claimed earlier this week.

The ONS added that the unemployment rate jumped to 6.5% between November and January.

'Everything we can'

UK CLAIMANT COUNT

% of population claiming Jobseeker's Allowance, by parliamentary constituency. Source: ONS

Unemployment in graphics

Unemployment is rising as the first recession in the UK since 1991 continues to bite. Many economists now predict it will go above three million next year.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown told the Commons it was a "matter of personal regret" for him that people were losing their jobs.

"That is why we'll do everything we can to help people get back to work," he said.

Mr Brown added that rising unemployment was a global problem which remained higher in many other countries.

Conservative leader David Cameron countered that the Labour government was to blame for the rise in unemployment.

"You've led us to this point without the hint of an apology and the British people will never forget it," he said.

'Unemployment milestone'

"This is another milestone in the return of mass unemployment to the UK, and it will get worse before it gets better as unemployment always persists even after a recovery starts," said TUC general secretary Brendan Barber.

UNEMPLOYMENT: FULL COVERAGE

Read our guide on how to cope with unemployment
And some handy tips on getting a job in a recession
Check out the BBC jobs tracker to find out which companies are hiring and firing
See how unemployment is affecting your region
Also read our report on the contrasting fortunes of Oldham - where there are 30 people chasing each vacancy - and Chester where businesses struggle to fill jobs.

Turning his attention to next month's G20 meeting in London, Mr Barber added that it was now imperative that world leaders work together to help stimulate the global economy.

David Kern, chief economist at the British Chambers of Commerce, said the government should now "seriously consider" temporary wage subsidies.

The ONS figures showed that it is the private sector that is seeing the rise in unemployment.

They showed that in December 2008, the number of people in private sector employment was 23.6 million, down 13,000 from September 2008.

Over the same period, the number of people with public sector jobs rose 15,000 to 5.78 million.

The ONS added that average earnings, including bonuses, rose only 1.8% in the year to January, the lowest annual rise since records began in 1991.

Business warnings

Separate reports by the British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) and CBI have both predicted that UK unemployment will rise above three million in 2010.

HAVE YOUR SAY I lost my job one week before Christmas. I was two months away from completing my probationary period
Jo, Horsham
Send us your commentsThe BCC said the UK economy had worsened "significantly" so far in 2009, and said unemployment will hit 3.2 million next year, slightly more than 10% of the workforce.

Alan Tomlinson, an accountant who guides firms through insolvency, said he had "never been so busy".

"Companies of all sizes and in all sectors are folding by the day, putting more and more people out of a job," he said.

"The CBI's prediction, last month, that unemployment will peak at just over three million in the second quarter of 2010 could prove to be wildly optimistic."
Jacqui D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
shaundelear
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Uk unemployment tops two million! have you been made unemployed have your say her

Hey there ,
I lost my job and came across a crazy situation.
When you sign on they ask you where would you like the money paid into.
I explained that my bank account was overdrawn and was assured by the job center that the banks "had to" make the money available to me so ok here is my account number please pay into this account.
Total lies, went into the Clydesdale and was informed that the banks can have their pound of flesh before I get money to eat!
Seemingly when the "giros" were switched to "bacs" payments the banks had an agreement that they would make the minimum living allowance available to people receiving benifits -this is what the staff at the job center believe- wrongly!
So the banks have shafted the people who need help the most and the goverment has allowed them by negligence to do this be warned folks.
shaundelear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
scanner
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Uk unemployment tops two million! have you been made unemployed have your say her

I lost my job last Dec 08 ,because of my age I found ni on impossible to get any sort of work . I got lots of qualifications ,but where I live there's no work for people of my age,( no ageism in the workplace it's illegal, HA) so I thouht I'll start my own business. Off I go to the local county council were I'm told I could get a small start up grant for new business.

Told by them better do it on line , so I did only to find they had stopped issueing grants LAST SEPT another lie by our FAMILY FRIENDLY GOVERNMENT WEB SITE which gave the link to local county council website . I thought about starting a bank, they get billions given to them don't they ? So I thought start it Monday finish it on Friday give myself 1.7 million retirment pension. Job done retired .CARLSBERG DON 'T DO GOVERNMENTS BUT IF THEY DID
scanner is offline   Reply With Quote