Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Health / Alternative Medicine

Notices

Old 12-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #26
SamWhiteHopi
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The best natural shampoo

Umm. Dare I say I haven’t washed with soap for some twelve years?
This happened when I read somewhere that soap kills the natural bacteria on the skin that helps control odor. It also removes the natural oils and had the body react by producing more, thus oilier skin. Deodorants also stuff up the natural bacteria balance.

I had already been caring for my quad friend, Robert, for about two years and his skin was so oily and slippery it was dangerous to move him unless I held him with a towel. His body odor was the worse I had encountered and within a few hours of a bath stunk as much as before and his breath smelt like a corpse. Black heads and pimples were a problem also due to clogged skin pours.

So I decided that neither one of us was going to touch any soap, toothpaste, deodorant or shampoo for a week.

Within four days Robert’s oily skin was no longer a problem and the following weeks cleared up his black heads. No more bad breath.

I went from brushing my teeth two to three times a day to brushing with water once or twice a week, as I also had a very bad breath problem. I sometimes break out the baking soda for a polish.

I only use soap to wash my hands. No more deodorant.

I only shower when I start to smell or feel dirty. So to be honest I wash three or four times a week, which is pretty good going since I was showering twice a day and I have a sweating disorder that has me run like a tap. I rub vigorously with a towel after a shower and there is not a lot of dead skin either. Not bad also considering I live in the Northern Territory which is one of the hottest places on earth.

People find it hard to believe when I tell them the above because I just don’t smell. And at the moment my diet is not its best. Though chicken makes me smell fowl [pun intended].

For those who get grease and oil on them, I heard that baking soda is pretty good. It works on cleaning ovens and is a great tea stain remover.

The amount of money saved on toiletries is great, as is knowing I contribute less to land fill. Plus the water saved. I think I use one tooth brush a year. Four bars of soap.

I also cut down on dish washing liquid because I keep my dishes in the fridge in the coldest part so they only get cleaned two or three times a week. I haven’t come down with food poisoning once. My frying pan rarely gets cleaned. Once it cools down it goes in the fridge. Think about it. If there are any germs in the pan they get killed when the pan is heated up and I make sure I don’t leave scraps behind from previous meals. And even if there are scraps any bacteria die in the cooking.

Love&peace,
Sam
SamWhiteHopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #27
DenisSelivanov
Avalon Senior Member

washing troubles away with bubbles
DenisSelivanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #28
davefla73
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniconr View Post
no shampoo for two years now, my hair is healthy shiny smells fine
is that your opion or have you asked other?! you cant smell yourself!
I personal will always wash my hair, even if all i have is a bar of soap!sounds to Hippy like for me!
davefla73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #29
davefla73
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilderburger w/cheese View Post
does anyone have any 'alternative' shampoos for dandruff?
i got dandruff. what am i gonna do. <shrugs>
remeber Dandruff Is a fungus, so if it will kill fungus it will get rid of Dandruff. Dandruff shampoo has Zinc Oxide init to kill the fungus. maybe silver water would help if you dont want to do the shampoo thing, Id personla wash with dandruff shampoo mayself.
davefla73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:09 AM   #30
dagon
Avalon Senior Member

I'm jumping on this ban wagon. I have noticed that when I wash with shampoo and conditioner my hair falls out in a alarming way. my hands are full of hair. all over the place. in the brush. in the drain. all over my body. so I have been trying not to wash but only make it a few days. but I notice that no or little hair falls out when just rinsing. I start to get itchy after about day 3. and well I start washing again. If you say it go's away. I'm cool with that. I was hoping to find a thread on this subject. thanks for posting.

cheers
dagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:35 AM   #31
MMe M
Avalon Senior Member

No offense to any here but ive a question. For those of you that use no shampoo at all, do you have chlorinated water? If so, that acts as a degreaser/cleaner even in th amounts or ppg in your water. I always bleach my sheets, have for years. It shortens their lifespan but is fabulous for making them sparkling clean and grease free.

We have a well and we soften our water so things we wash including us rinse clean. Thats the biggest difference. Well water before the softener in the line is also palatable, non poisionous and has noone elses medications in it.

For those of you with any type of water, what is it that delivers it to you? Copper, cast iron, or pvc? Even the pvc that is supposedly for potable water is still pvc. Pvc is poison from start to finish.

I really hate city water.

Last edited by MMe M; 12-12-2008 at 06:40 AM.
MMe M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #32
SamWhiteHopi
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagon View Post
I'm jumping on this ban wagon. I have noticed that when I wash with shampoo and conditioner my hair falls out in a alarming way. my hands are full of hair. all over the place. in the brush. in the drain. all over my body. so I have been trying not to wash but only make it a few days. but I notice that no or little hair falls out when just rinsing. I start to get itchy after about day 3. and well I start washing again. If you say it go's away. I'm cool with that. I was hoping to find a thread on this subject. thanks for posting.

cheers
Not washing with soap or shampoo has an initial breaking in period, depends on each persons chemical and bacterial make up. I found my head itched a bit when I first stopped the shampoo but I just persevered. I stood under the shower and just kept giving a good but gentle scrub of the scalp with my finger nails (which is good for the skin anyway), and then a good drying with my towel. I don't like hair driers as I personally believe they damage the hair if the heat is too high or close and can irritate the skin also. Try washing with some Bicarb if the greesy feeling is too much (if you get this), then rinse out. Within a week without shampoo my hair started to settle down no trouble. I never need to use Bicarb, but others do or like to, but my diet of recent has been rather rotten and have noticed my hair being a bit greesy, so might have to use some bicarb.

It is hard to over come years of psychological conditioning by commercials that we are only clean people if we have washed with soaps, toothpastes and whatever else they can convince us to use to kill off natural bacteria. The more of their products we use the more the body smells so the more we use and so forth. They are laughing all the way to the bank.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #33
SamWhiteHopi
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMe M View Post
No offense to any here but ive a question. For those of you that use no shampoo at all, do you have chlorinated water? If so, that acts as a degreaser/cleaner even in th amounts or ppg in your water. I always bleach my sheets, have for years. It shortens their lifespan but is fabulous for making them sparkling clean and grease free.

We have a well and we soften our water so things we wash including us rinse clean. Thats the biggest difference. Well water before the softener in the line is also palatable, non poisionous and has noone elses medications in it.

For those of you with any type of water, what is it that delivers it to you? Copper, cast iron, or pvc? Even the pvc that is supposedly for potable water is still pvc. Pvc is poison from start to finish.

I really hate city water.
Hmmm. Interesting points, MMe M. Have had experience with both chlorinated water (over a period of years while in a city and presently in a semi rural setting) and bore water (for six months while further out bush). Hair was good in both situations without shampoo and skin without soap.

I think most of the water where I am is PVC delivered. Will have to check. I know many fish breeders use PVC in tanks as hiding holes and breeding areas, and they haven't reported toxic problems as far as I know. If I had the time and energy I would set up a couple of bath tubs outside. One with clay drain pipe elbows I picked up some years ago, and one with a stack of new PVC (thoroughly cleaned before hand), and leave the guppies to it (though they may be too hardy for such an experiment). Indoor tanks have never been successful for me, but outside in a bath tub anything breeds. Could be a sort of cannary test. Kribensis lay eggs and are good breeders. Eggs don't do so well in toxic water.

But with so much toxin around in the world, I just don't overly worry and look for things to eat that counteract the poisons.