Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:24 AM   #1
pilgrim
Avalon Senior Member

Default The change in contributors to Avalon.

Has anyone noticed the marked change in the quality of contributors and threads to Avalon this past week or two?
The threads have become so childish, so outlandish in the accusations of whistleblowers and advocates of the call to freedom, that I for one was thinking of giving up on visiting this site. That is, until I realised that Avalon has become a victim of it's own sucess.
In other words, it has attracted a huge amount of attention from the 'enemy'.
The almost illiterate writing, unsubstantiated accusations, name calling and so on, is a deliberate attempt to put off the more serious and discerning people that visit and enjoy this site as a focal point, a gathering place, of the 'alternative community' .
I can only suggest that agent provocateurs are at work trying to disrupt the excellent work that Avalon does.
The quality of the writings for the first few weeks was absolutely brilliant. Then it started to decline as voices of descension, nit-picking etc, started to creep in.
Because of the overwhelming need for a site such as this, the avalance of new members took Kerry, Bill and the moderators by surprise. Now that it is settling down a bit we can see that we have unwelcome 'guests' amongst us that have inveigled there way in.

If that is the case, I can only ask that the genuine contributors to this forum stick with it, post your opinions with renewed vigour and know that we are making the difference by their presence. Their presence means we are getting to them.
good luck, Tom
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:27 AM   #2
333mark333
Avalon Senior Member

Location: The Western Shore of the Hudson Bay-churchill, manitoba, canada
Default Re: The change in contributors to Avalon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
Has anyone noticed the marked change in the quality of contributors and threads to Avalon this past week or two?
The threads have become so childish, so outlandish in the accusations of whistleblowers and advocates of the call to freedom, that I for one was thinking of giving up on visiting this site. That is, until I realised that Avalon has become a victim of it's own sucess.
In other words, it has attracted a huge amount of attention from the 'enemy'.
The almost illiterate writing, unsubstantiated accusations, name calling and so on, is a deliberate attempt to put off the more serious and discerning people that visit and enjoy this site as a focal point, a gathering place, of the 'alternative community' .
I can only suggest that agent provocateurs are at work trying to disrupt the excellent work that Avalon does.
The quality of the writings for the first few weeks was absolutely brilliant. Then it started to decline as voices of descension, nit-picking etc, started to creep in.
Because of the overwhelming need for a site such as this, the avalance of new members took Kerry, Bill and the moderators by surprise. Now that it is settling down a bit we can see that we have unwelcome 'guests' amongst us that have inveigled there way in.

If that is the case, I can only ask that the genuine contributors to this forum stick with it, post your opinions with renewed vigour and know that we are making the difference by their presence. Their presence means we are getting to them.
good luck, Tom
I stand by your words friend
333mark333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:32 AM   #3
WineHippie

Last edited by WineHippie; 11-07-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:33 AM   #4
linkes
Avalon Senior Member

I don’t know all I am reading is people with all differing opinions’

Let’s not create a victim mentality where it’s not needed

I personally have met some amazing people on this site and it’s totally up to who you choose to associate yourself with, life is full of surprises nasty and good ones.

I just had a whole debate on another thread about how we shouldn’t attract negative post.

My point is should every body good or bad not be allowed equal opportunity?

Personally I think the best place for the so called unwelcome guests is here let us choose rather to shine our light on them, they are human and each who have their own paths.

My other point is there is such a thing as reporting abusive behaviour to the moderators.

So again let s not become victims lets just accept and moderate.

Peace and Blessings
Linkes
linkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:35 AM   #5
Kahunamahalo
Avalon Senior Member

Just take what you want and leave the rest.
Kahunamahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:38 AM   #6
WineHippie

Last edited by WineHippie; 11-07-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:45 AM   #7
GregorArturo
Avalon Senior Member

Hey, it's like they say, the Truth cannot be organized. Use your discretion, on every level; from the internet to the guy who sits next to you in class.

Too bad there wasn't like a full proof ebay rating system for members versus just threads. All you got is like total posts to go by and your own discretion to what that person has already said.

http://therevolutionwillnotbeorganized.org/
GregorArturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:46 AM   #8
Banned

Last edited by 371; 12-17-2009 at 06:13 AM.
371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:54 AM   #9
MargueriteBee
Avalon Senior Member

Yes, Pilgrim I have observed this also. I think the more discerning are catching on to them.
MargueriteBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:56 AM   #10
MMe M
Avalon Senior Member

Well I admit my spelling isnt all that grand. Its downright shameful but I dont have the spell check for this site, I didnt really want to download it. Beyond that, Its about the same more or less I think. Some are perhaps getting up enough nerve to post now or even write a thread. Undoubtedly there are those that are here to collect information or cause chaos but maybe they will become infected by all the hope I see on the pages.

Thats my take. There are some remarkable people here, I dont need them to be famous, just honest . Good or bad news, we need to hear it all dont we if it is part of the community geared towards staying alive in hopes of a better tomarrow? (I think I spelled tomarrow wrong, sorry. school was a long time ago and I was adhd all the way baby!)
MMe M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:58 AM   #11
Heretic
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregorArturo View Post
Hey, it's like they say, the Truth cannot be organized. Use your discretion, on every level; from the internet to the guy who sits next to you in class.

Too bad there wasn't like a full proof ebay rating system for members versus just threads. All you got is like total posts to go by and your own discretion to what that person has already said.

http://therevolutionwillnotbeorganized.org/
we DO have a reputation rating

if you want to approve or disapprove someone's posting ethics or whatever you can do so by clicking on the scale icon next to the report button
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:58 AM   #12
clarkkent
Avalon Senior Member

theres still some quality posters, but overall yes...the first 2 or 3 weeks of avalon were very high quality, especially with the PC interviewees interacting with us.

voices of reason like zynox and susan are here less and less. i think a lot of the more mature posters went over to st clairs forum.

i would be over there too, but im not 100% on him, so i stay here and hope for the occasional good post or thread.

theres still some good eggs here, but theres definitely been an influx of childeshness, paranoia and idiotic threads.

is it intentional alphabet agencies or just disruptive jerks? probably both.

ill stick around for the few good eggs till theyre gone.
clarkkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:00 AM   #13
Katherine
Avalon Senior Member

Sorry all.....

I'm with pilgrim. I too have become disenfranchaised lately due to a lot of unwanted (unnecessary - useless) comments. It takes forever to sift through it all to find a 'pearl' of wisdom. I was just about ready to leave the forum because it just takes too much time with little gain. It's fine to say - take what you want and leave the rest. That's what I try to do, but still takes much reading/time .....somedays.....for nothing. It gets frustrating.

Maybe this too is a test.....of patience?
K
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:02 AM   #14
ophiuchus
Avalon Senior Member

it has definitely become different.
ophiuchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:07 AM   #15
Jeff Delano
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
we DO have a reputation rating

if you want to approve or disapprove someone's posting ethics or whatever you can do so by clicking on the scale icon next to the report button
You got a good reputation with me now for pointing that out. I kind of like it, even though it can get to be shallow after a while haha. I guess it's just like everything else in life, it must be used in balance, everything always comes back to balance it seems.
Jeff Delano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:10 AM   #16
Jeff Delano
Avalon Senior Member

May I also add, just like in real life it's easier to gain positive polarity in a negative society, dealing with the bs from the bs posters helps build character when dealing with those who don't share your optimism.

Is there something wrong with people who don't think like you? Or is it beautiful that the fact that others have their own opinions that are not like yours at all?
Jeff Delano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:12 AM   #17
Lotus
Avalon Senior Member

Totally agree. Definitely a quality dip. Way too much ranting. Not enough discernment. Too much wild speculation. And some axe grinding.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:20 AM   #18
Ampgod
Avalon Senior Member

Change does happen. Morph with it.

Why do people want to "clean it up"?
The dirt is what I need to perfect my skill of seeing these nasty parasites.

Last edited by Ampgod; 10-09-2008 at 02:23 AM.
Ampgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:28 AM   #19
warriorsoul
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 371 View Post
This is a side-effect what happens when a forum gains more and more popularity and exposure- the ranks get DILUTED...

WORD
agree...there are going to be those...not sure if avalon has a team to track these, looking into IP information, and track them down if resources allowed...just keep your composure and don't let them pull you in

cheers

Last edited by warriorsoul; 10-09-2008 at 02:41 AM.
warriorsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:28 AM   #20
pilgrim
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
Sorry all.....

I'm with pilgrim. I too have become disenfranchaised lately due to a lot of unwanted (unnecessary - useless) comments. It takes forever to sift through it all to find a 'pearl' of wisdom. I was just about ready to leave the forum because it just takes too much time with little gain. It's fine to say - take what you want and leave the rest. That's what I try to do, but still takes much reading/time .....somedays.....for nothing. It gets frustrating.

Maybe this too is a test.....of patience?
K
Hey Katherine,
That's exactly what I'm getting at. Don't let them get to you, hang on in there.
There has been some good rational, logical replies to this thread. May not agree with them.., but they are rational.
MMe M. Forgive me, but I was trying to point out the deliberate illiteracy aimed at lowering the tone of the site to put people off. I am not the most articulate person and may not have expressed myself properly.
regards, Tom
Old 10-09-2008, 02:30 AM   #21
Myplanet2
In The Mists

The purpose of this forum has been clearly stated.

People posting here should respect that. It's about helping the ground crew. Not inviting everyone to "prove it to you".

Do your own discerning, and let others do theirs.

I see very little value in posting that this or that is all BS. Just about everything has some truth and some fiction included.

That's where discernment comes in.
Myplanet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:41 AM   #22
Baggywrinkle

On a positive note,

As an Avalon researcher with an interest in traditional
farming techniques I just ran across the
Alfred R Mann Library of Core Historical Literature of
Agriculture.

What a score this was! These are full text books online.

LIGHTEN UP PEOPLE!

Those of you who are further along are expected to help
those who are just beginning. Those of you who are unable or unwilling to participate as a teacher or student
are excused to run and play.

http://chla.library.cornell.edu/c/chla/index.html#top
Current online holdings: Pages: 850,264 Books: 1,849 (1,910 Volumes) Journals: 6 (288 Volumes)

Last edited by Baggywrinkle; 10-09-2008 at 02:45 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:44 AM   #23
pilgrim
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myplanet2 View Post
The purpose of this forum has been clearly stated.

People posting here should respect that. It's about helping the ground crew. Not inviting everyone to "prove it to you".

Do your own discerning, and let others do theirs.

I see very little value in posting that this or that is all BS. Just about everything has some truth and some fiction included.

That's where discernment comes in.
I totally agree with you and I will not argue with that, as I was making a statement and not asking for proof of anything.
Tom
Old 10-09-2008, 02:44 AM   #24
Mizar
Avalon Senior Member

Roger that Pilgrim, most of the "sub prime" posters have only posted in the single digits, spelling errors are common, and it does seem like there's a boiler room out there somewhere posting fluff to keep us from getting to the good posts.
The first two weeks were Magic, all top Q posters getting their stuff out, people who knew their stuff after learning and experiencing pretty much on their own for 10-20 years.
Now you don't know who is reading your posts, and a lot of Quality stuff gets slammed right away by someone with a short record of contributions. Almost None of the original quality posters have ever 'dissed a post contributed by someone else, and before many backed up their posts with a link to an article or factoid somewhere.
Now that I have vented, I must say that all of the posts/contributions are here for all, newb or Veterano, I hope that every visit to CA is a good one for all who want to learn more and increase their value on the Earth's crust, No question is a bad one, ( use Search tool first) there is more to come in the future.
M
Mizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:47 AM   #25
Undooz
Avalon Senior Member

From my perspective, interpersonal and conceptual devolution rear up on all sorts of internet based modes such as this.

It's crept into the majority of groups I've been a part of over the years. Hilariously wide ranging modalities such as pet toad boards
to African-American hair care FAQs to forums of the most esoteric sub-genre of the wildest woo. ...Heehee!

A few things things that may be causes of such derision come from some participants not realizing:
--- Forums are not exchange based conversations.
--- Your personal opinion of someone else's post matters deeply only to you and is best kept to yourself.
--- Conjecture (which is often misconstrued as opinion) does nothing to move along what you mistakenly considered to be a conversation in the first place.

So we can empower ourselves by simply:
--- Staying clearly on topic and being very concise.
--- Ignoring the posters that either blatantly or subversively take away from what is being built.

Agreeably, the looping debates are tiresome; and yes, I've pulled way back from reading and participating on this and other forums.
Time is so precious and such of the essence that I just can't see fit giving it up to those who erode community rather than offer substance.

Last edited by Undooz; 10-09-2008 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Replaced way-too-serious closing rhetorical question with a say-it-silly emoticon. Oofta!
Undooz is offline   Reply With Quote