Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 12-12-2008, 07:55 AM   #1
Lance
Avalon Senior Member

Default Chainsaws And Curlicues

It seems to me that a large number of well informed people came to this site hoping for a wee'bit'o'change from the average. From my perspective, after numerous ****** (sic) posts and lots of feed back, this site has failed as well.
Many, I'm sure well meaning, personages (whom use names NOT there own BTW) have edited, screwed around with (is screwed going to show up as ****** to thwart the halfpasthuman counts?) posts and slandered skills which people need. All in the name of some sort of PC gibberish.

Proceed onward fellow striver's towards a viable Avalon! But don't forget your '303's, your '22's, your M16's or whatever...you can't cut down a tree with a curlicue. But you can with a nice Stihl chainsaw...right tools, right action.
Peace be upon you all as Empire implodes.

I do believe this will be my last missive here on a dying forum edited by ???
I hope at least some of you know how to dig through archives before they to are gone.
Had, once again.

Plant or Perish.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
Sol Invictus
Banned

Default Re: Chainsaws And Curlicues

Should of written up a good bit about said chainsaws and the like instead of insulting all of us who post good solid survival articles.

Last edited by Sol Invictus; 12-14-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Sol Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

I was bummed by this thread because I thought it was going to be about chainsaws, and I recently got myself a nice new Stihl, spare chains, a good stock of two stroke mix, bar/chain lube, sharpening kit, fuel stabiliser, the whole nine yards.

Chainsaws make me happy.

I dont know why. Chopping wood is such fun.

A..

Last edited by Anchor; 12-15-2008 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Comment @Sol removed :)
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
Baggywrinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
@Sol - not necessary.

--

I was bummed by this thread because I thought it was going to be about chainsaws, and I recently got myself a nice new Stihl, spare chains, a good stock of two stroke mix, bar/chain lube, sharpening kit, fuel stabiliser, the whole nine yards.

Chainsaws make me happy.

I dont know why. Chopping wood is such fun.

A..
Nothing like turning large pieces of wood into small pieces of wood to make a manly man feel manly.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:54 PM   #5
alyscat
Avalon Senior Member

Yep, I have my eyes on a Stihl when I get back home from Florida, and a good wood splitter.

alys
alyscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:25 AM   #6
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggywrinkle View Post
Nothing like turning large pieces of wood into small pieces of wood to make a manly man feel manly.
So true... I wish I understood why though. I read that the cutting of hair releases some subtle energy. I wonder if the same is true of wood?

In that train of thought - yesterday a big bough from the huge liquid Amber in our front garden came down and took three others with it. We got tipped off as a smaller lump came down first. When the larger bough was breaking, we noticed some birds stopped to watch the drama unfold as well - then once it was down, we saw some minah birds immediately fly around and seem to "fuss" around the "wounded" part of the tree. My wife has observed this before - we wonder if the birds are helping the tree (2D lifeforms) in someway?

Certainly, as we watched, we were both sending out some love and light to the tree and once we did that, the bough finally gave way after a few minutes of serious creakign and cracking. What came down was about the size of a 15year old tree. 12 cm at the base and about 5m long.

The other thing I never quite worked out is why I liked to play with radio controlled racing cars so much. One day that mystery will be solved. In the mean time I had to give mine away to my next door neighbour's kids when I left for Australia.

Sorry - I am rambling. It's lunchtime and I am procrastinating at work.

A..

Last edited by Anchor; 12-15-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:21 AM   #7
Baggywrinkle

Some of my very best time has been spent with a chainsaw (a 14" poulan) collecting deadwood in the San Juan mountains.

This is one of the very best places in
North America to enjoy that hobby. These are not my
photographs, I'm just sharing the memory. Sometimes
I actually got some work done.

This is Engineer Mountain North of Durango Colorado.
Done properly this is a half day hike. I'm not a mountain
climber like Bill Ryan, but I have been up to the first
saddle. You get there by walking up over the talus of the
rock glacier on the right side. Once up to the first saddle
there is a rock shelter which is an ideal place to eat
lunch and enjoy the view.

This is a view of the rock glacier from the shelter. I never went any higher than this because I was alone,
it is desolate and I was not equipped for the minor
technical climbing this summit requires. It's still a long
way down if you fall and you'd lie there until the wildlife
found you.

Note that it is above the tree line. This is a lovely photo
of the mountain tundra. I suspect Sol Invictus would be
very happy romping here...
You would start such a trip at first light to be as high as you wanted to be by about 10AM. Your goal was to be off
the mountain and safely back below the tree line by 2pm. The mountains make their own weather and both
thunderstorms or unexpected snow in mid summer could
be deadly. It worked out to an all day trip cutting and
collecting the dead wood later in the afternoon if the
weather behaved.