Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Old 11-01-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
Professor Nordheim
Avalon Senior Member

Arrow New-cycle sunspot

A sunspot is emerging in the sun's northern hemisphere and it appears to be a member of new Solar Cycle 24. Sunspot 1007 is located at high latitude, as new-cycle sunspots always are, and it has the magnetic polariity expected of a Cycle 24 active region:

This is the fourth time in October that a new-cycle sunspot has breached the sun's surface. (The previous three occasions were Oct. 4th, 11th and 17th.) In a year of almost no sunspots, four in a single month is a large number, and their association with the new solar cycle is significant. It is a sign that the sun is beginning a slow ascent out of solar minimum to a more active phase in the months and years ahead. Solar minimum is not a permanent condition!

spaceweather.com
Professor Nordheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:18 AM   #2
bodzoyfa
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: New-cycle sunspot

Thanks for posting this, Professor.

I'm very interested in the sun and its activities. Please keep the updates coming!
bodzoyfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
capreycorn
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzoyfa View Post
Thanks for posting this, Professor.

I'm very interested in the sun and its activities. Please keep the updates coming!
"I´ll have the same"

guess this could be a reason for the many "electronic anomalies" I´ve seen in the last couple of weeks in computer,car and other (household) electronics..?
capreycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
ABHA
Avalon Senior Member

Hi there, anyone interested in the sun and its behavior, Maurice cotterel actually mapped its various phases and cycles, long and short.
Very interesting in regard to so many of Avalon's articles, hope you enjoy
have a great day.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...otterrel&hl=en
ABHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
Professor Nordheim
Avalon Senior Member

UPDATE: New-cycle sunspot 1007 is growing again and moreover it is developing a mixed-polarity magnetic field that harbors energy for solar flares. Already, Earth-orbiting satellites have detected a series of minor B-class eruptions.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:15 AM   #6
bodzoyfa
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee BURTON View Post
Hi there, anyone interested in the sun and its behavior, Maurice cotterel actually mapped its various phases and cycles, long and short.
have a great day.

Lee,

Thanks very much for posting that video. I caught myself with my mouth open in amazement quite a few times. I was totally captivated. Now I'm off for part 2. Great post and keep this kind of thought-provoking material coming.

Cheers!
bodzoyfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
Professor Nordheim
Avalon Senior Member

IONOSPHERIC DISTURBANCE: Magnetic fields above sunspot 1007 erupted yesterday, Nov. 3rd, sparking a B8-class solar flare. Although B-flares are considered minor, the blast nevertheless made itself felt on Earth. X-rays bathed the dayside of our planet and sent a wave of ionization rippling through the atmosphere over Europe. The sudden ionospheric disturbance (SID) disrupted propagation of VLF radio signals, a phenomenon recorded by Rudolf Slosiar of Bojnice, Slovakia:

"Solar Cycle 24 is already showing up on my SID monitor," says Slosiar. "Detecting a minor B8 flare is a good test of the sensitivity of this method of monitoring solar activity."

Sunspot 1007 is indeed an apparition of the next solar cycle; the spot's high latitude and magnetic polarity associate it firmly with Solar Cycle 24. Active new-cycle sunspots like "007" are going to become more common in the weeks and months ahead as the sun climbs out of solar minimum. Stay tuned. The SIDs are just getting started.

spaceweather.com
Old 11-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
Swamisalami
Banned

Quote:
have a great day.

First time I see this writers name on Avalon. He wrote some interesting books. Good stuff to amp up your brain!
Swamisalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:23 PM   #9
Professor Nordheim
Avalon Senior Member

SUNSPOT GROUP 1008: A new group of sunspots is growing rapidly in the sun's northern hemisphere. The active region, numbered 1008, contains no fewer than seven dark cores.

Judging from its high latitude, active region 1008 is a member of new Solar Cycle 24.

Solar activity is on the rise!

spaceweather.com
Old 11-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
smat
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
have a great day.

Thanks Lee for a fascinating and very informative video.

If you or anyone else knows where I can can get part two I would be very grateful.
I'm gonna keep an eye out for more of his work.
smat is offline   Reply With Quote