Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Spirituality

Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #301
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: The ego what is it? How to transcend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainedobserver View Post
Who gets the fact that the world you perceive is actually the simulation constructed by your brain-mind system and not the real world itself? If you do are you consciously aware that the monitor that you think you're reading this off of right now is constructed of your own brain-stuff and is in fact just as much YOU as your 'awareness' of it is? In becoming aware that the world that you experience and the experienced self (the appearance of your body, all your physical sensations and inner dialog) are the one in the same brain-mind thing you can 'transcend' the egos illusionary existence. Everything remains the same however you will no longer see things quite the same again until your human nature over-rides your insight and you once again think of the world your perceive of as the real world rather than your mind itself. Or so it seems to me.

Oddly enough my avatar is an attempt by me to illustrate the above facts. The gray body and leaf are in the "real world" on the other side of our senses. We never experience them. We experience the leaf, body, and awareness that our mind simulates represented by the colorful bubble on the guys shoulders. The real world and self and the experienced world and self are two completely different things in substance, form, and location. The real world contains all dimensions and matter. The experienced world is restricted to 3 dimensions (which may or may not exist in the real world) and the chromatic and auditory portrayal (which certainly exists only in the perceiving mind) of a limited section of what we understand as the electromagnetic spectrum. When I actually realized this I had one of those laughing, crying, weird experiences people sometimes refer to as a spiritual experience. It was quite a profound and mind altering thing.
That a fact smiling.
Thanks for your visit.

My avatar picture is Ramana Mahrshi who said.
"The world you are trying to save dosent even exist"
Our perception is just that, perception.

Dr Hawkins says " All thought are falacious"
Course in Miracles says. " The moment you take up a position know that you are identifying with an illusion"
The ego has created a world of illusion -- duality,
Truth is only God is.

Dr Hawkins had the biggest Psychiatry practice in America so he knows the mechanism of the mind. He is also interested in Quantum Mechanics so his knowlege is wide based.
If intellect appeals to you I suggest you get his book "Power versus Force" even if you are not much interested in God its a fascinating read. His use of language is exquisite.

Regards Chris
greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:42 PM   #302
trainedobserver
Avalon Senior Member

greybeard,

While the experienced world can indeed be proven to be a neurological illusion the fact that the real world does exist on the other side of our senses is also true and shouldn't be discounted. Our minds have evolved to present the real world to us in a manner suited to our survival. We can be assured that our actions within the simulations of the world we call our minds impact the real world and the other beings living in it with us.

We simultaneously live in the real world and a world of illusion. Two different realities effecting each other yet of different substance, existing in a different place, and occurring at a different time. Human beings can truly be called multi-dimensional beings. We live in one dimension and we experience it in a totally different one.
trainedobserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #303
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainedobserver View Post
greybeard,

While the experienced world can indeed be proven to be a neurological illusion the fact that the real world does exist on the other side of our senses is also true and shouldn't be discounted. Our minds have evolved to present the real world to us in a manner suited to our survival. We can be assured that our actions within the simulations of the world we call our minds impact the real world and the other beings living in it with us.

We simultaneously live in the real world and a world of illusion. Two different realities effecting each other yet of different substance, existing in a different place, and occurring at a different time. Human beings can truly be called multi-dimensional beings. We live in one dimension and we experience it in a totally different one.
Trained Observer.
Honestly if you read the work of Dr Hawkins you will find he is saying much the same as you.
Ramana's comments did not deny that there is a real world its just that the unenlightened does not see it for reasons you have given.
An enlightened sage sees the world totally differently.

Regards Chris
Old 01-27-2010, 01:22 AM   #304
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

This is most inspiring ...

Love Always
mudra
mudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #305
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

It is in the nature of the ego find what it is looking for.
Everything that is contrary to its point of view is ignored discarded as irrelevant.
Contrary information is sometimes not even noticed consciously as the brain has an automatic filter process.
The statement "Love is blind" springs to mind - The love at first sight--- the honeymoon period then what?
Eckhat Tolle says "Dont take your thoughts too seriously"
I wouldent take feelings that serious either.
There are times when extreme discretion is required.
An Anchor may be necessary
The ego will happily lead you into drama regardless of true or false.
In extreme cases the ego would rather let you die than admit error or kill countless others.
Wars are fought over a point of view.
Still I believe that we are coming to a point in the evolution of man kind where love and harmony will prevail.
I can of course find evidence for that thought.
Chris
Chris

Last edited by greybeard; 01-28-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #306
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Dr. David R. Hawkins
I posted a part of Bio of Dr Hawkins who is my main teacher as it helps to put some of my postings this thread into context.
Regards
Chris

Biography Summary

Sir David R. Hawkins, M.D., Ph.D. is a nationally renowned psychiatrist, physician, researcher, spiritual teacher and lecturer. He co-authored the ground-breaking work, Orthomolecular Psychiatry with Nobel Laureate Linus Pauling, that helped revolutionize psychiatry.The uniqueness of Dr. Hawkins' work is that an individual of advanced spiritual consciousness also possesses the intellect and clarity to express and communicate the characteristics of these highly–evolved states of awareness that few have experienced. He established the Pathway of Devotional Nonduality – a direct course to Enlightenment via clarification of core essentials that merely await activation by decision, intention, and dedication of the will. His book, "Discovery of the Presence of God: Devotional Nonduality," is basically an instruction manual for the serious spiritual devotee, revealing information that is known only by those who have transcended the ego to reach Divine Realization.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #307
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriya View Post
Hello again loves on this oasis in the desert thread.

I posted this on another thread, but thought it should go here too.

The Ego

http://www.bbc5.tv/eyeplayer/video/ego

Love,

Kriya
Thanks very much for this link Kriya
I finally got down to watching it,
I was amazed at the depth of comment on the ego and the quality of those speaking on it.
Rare to find such a jem on mainstream TV.
People are becoming aware.
Regards
Chris
Also includes a clip from the film "Revolver."
Old 01-29-2010, 07:42 AM   #308
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Good morning.
"Hell is the other" thats a famous quote,
Why is it important to transcend the ego?

Every dispute from the minor at home or work.
Every major personal or world wide fall out is down to ego.
My needs wants or desires first.
I will do whatever it takes to get my way.
I know best/
I am right -- you are wrong.
No negotiation unless!!!!!
No compromise.
Whenever a position is taken up it creates the opposite point of view.

All of these are down to the ego wanting its own way.
Me and the enemy out there.
Them an us.
All duality.

We cant have the ego and peace and harmony.
Its that simple.
It is just not possible.
So yes transcending the ego is that important.

if this has caught you attention please go back to page one and work your way through.
There are a lot of very good contributions.

When the ego is transcended what is left, Why you are.
Free from bondage. The need to be right. many other things sort thems elves out.

You sre still a unique individual.
Look at a great orchestra. Many instruments, many musicians, beautiful harmonies.
exciting moving performance. One composer.
When all are aligned with the composer the Creator then we have harmony, we have single-mindedness, common purpose. yet we can have different orchestras throughout the world playing the same melody and it is unique, yet the harmony is there. Musicians can go from one orchestra to another and the music is subtle changed yet the melody remains.

Who wants peace and harmony? Not the ego. Not really. It wants excitement. This moment is boring I want the next whats new!!!! Where is it?

The ego is is transcended by being in the "NOW"
By reading Eckhart Tolle. Dr David Hawkins, those who are in an egoless state.

With Love
Chris
Old 01-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #309
Kulapops
Avalon Senior Member

Great thread - Greybeard and all contributors...

I'm only up to about page 7... will have to do this in two hits... but just want to say how much I am enjoying it so far. So many great contributions and points of view, I would like to comment on them all (Get Back in the box , KP's EGO ! )

So instead I'll just transcend all that and say Thank You All.

It's not a very long journey, the present is here already

K
Kulapops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:08 PM   #310
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulapops View Post
Great thread - Greybeard and all contributors...

I'm only up to about page 7... will have to do this in two hits... but just want to say how much I am enjoying it so far. So many great contributions and points of view, I would like to comment on them all (Get Back in the box , KP's EGO ! )

So instead I'll just transcend all that and say Thank You All.

It's not a very long journey, the present is here already

K
Thanks for your comments Kulapops.
My ego is still work in progress but there is a massive improvement in my life now I know what its up to, I dont have knee jerk reactions to events and people, now, I have choice to react or not and if I do react then its a much more friendly response.

We run here there and everywhere. Does it really matter whether or not there was an earth quake in China for example?
Yes it matters very much to the Chinese. It matters to the people of Haiti but I cant do anything about something that dosent affect me personally except donate, pray for the people suffering have compassion and I do these things.

I have the greatest respect for all on this forum and I do realize it is amongst other things a "Whistle Blowers Forum"

For myself its priorities.
What can I actually do?

If I get my self in good order then my world comes right. Its the only world I subjectively know, personally experience.
If we all do that its enough.

A fairly well known story.

A man was too busy to play with his son in spite of Daddie Daddie Daddie!! Play with me.

Father in desperation cut a page out of a magazine with a picture of the world on it, tore it into small pieces to form a make do jigsaw puzzle. He said to his son. "When you have put together the map of the world I will play with you. Minutes later son was back job done. Dad was amazed. How did you do that so quickly?
Son said. " It was easy dad, on the otherside of the page was the picture of a man, when I got the man right the world came right".

With love Chris
Old 01-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #311
Kulapops
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
I have the greatest respect for all on this forum and I do realize it is amongst other things a "Whistle Blowers Forum"

If I get my self in good order then my world comes right. Its the only world I subjectively know, personally experience.
If we all do that its enough.

With love Chris
Hi Greybeard...ooh... yes... my ego is definitely a work in progress. I've been convinced since day one that it's size will be proportional to my posts and visits to Avalon !

So not doing that well.. but while there is learning there is hope.

Regarding your quote above... this is the change I'm all for and it bemuses me that people worry about the 'details' of whistleblowers and earthquakes, when real change is in our hands every second. I'm not saying I'm good at this but I'm convinced it's the way forward...

Of course..that's just my ego's point of view. I have to accept that a world is everything...

K
Kulapops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #312
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulapops View Post
Hi Greybeard...ooh... yes... my ego is definitely a work in progress. I've been convinced since day one that it's size will be proportional to my posts and visits to Avalon !

So not doing that well.. but while there is learning there is hope.

Regarding your quote above... this is the change I'm all for and it bemuses me that people worry about the 'details' of whistleblowers and earthquakes, when real change is in our hands every second. I'm not saying I'm good at this but I'm convinced it's the way forward...

Of course..that's just my ego's point of view. I have to accept that a world is everything...

K
Well said my friend.
Chris
Old 01-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #313
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

"No self no problem."

Quoted answer that Eckhart got when he asked a Buddhist Monk to sum up Buddhism.

Its that simple no duality - no ego - no problem.

Simple but not easy.

Chris
Old 01-31-2010, 08:59 AM   #314
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Think one of the classic "death of the ego" stories comes from the "Power of Now"

Eckart Tolle shares in the book how life had got to the point that he could no longer live with himself. When that though arose the question also arose. I can no longer live with my self so are there two of me? A self that can no longer live with self?
At that point came a realization that he was not the miserable entity, a moment of fear followed and he remembered little of what came after that but when he awoke the whole world looked totally different. Peace had replaced turmoil, his mind was virtually silent.

We transcend ego and our world will look totally different, our perception will have altered.

Is it worth it to do what it takes to let go of ego?

I think so.

With love
Chris
Old 02-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #315
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Hi
If this is the first time youve looked at this thread please start at page one.
There are lot of interesting contributions, speaking of which.

I would really appreciate the sharing of experiences that have occurred during meditation or spontaneously.

Thanking you in advance.

Chris
Old 02-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #316
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

There is no way to happiness,
happiness is the way.

You should be happy right in the here and now.
There is no way to enlightenment.
Enlightenment should be right here and right now.
The moment when you come back to yourself, mind and body together,
fully present, fully alive, that is already enlightenment.
You are no longer a sleepwalker.
You are no longer in a dream.
You are fully alive.
You are awake.
Enlightenment is there.

And if you continue each moment like that,
enlightenment becomes deeper.
More powerful.

There is no way to enlightenment,
enlightenment is the way.

vietnamese zen buddhist monk - thich nhat hanh - 2007

Love Always
mudra
Old 02-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #317
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Love Always
mudra
Old 02-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #318
illuminate
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudra View Post

This is most inspiring ...

Love Always
mudra
THANK U for that, it is exactly what I needed to be reminded of today.
most inspiring indeed.

~ love in you ~
illuminate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #319
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Nice to see you here Illuminate.
Some great inspiring videos about these days.
I really believe that we are on the verge of amazing things just a question of being present in the moment and being kind to all life including our own and letting it happen.

Oh a thought.
One time I was mulling over a "problem" and what would I do. Great insecurity and fear of the future I just didnt know what to do. One of my friends said. "Do you think God dosent know what you are going to do next?" "Why not ask Him?"

There is enormous depth in that statement.
I was running programmed at that time virtually everyone else had a fair idea of what I would do given my past history, I was in avoidance of what is my true nature and the freedom therein.

Now I just let go of the "problem" (surrender to what is) and most times it seems to come right without my interference.

"God grant me the serentity to ccept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I can
Wisdom to know the difference."

While I am reminiscing.

As a child I spent a fair amount of time in hospital.
This time I had just come out of hospital after bursting my spleen in a sledging accident, I was eleven at the time.
I was having a good old moan to my Dad. oh woe is me!!! laughing.

He was silent for a moment or two then said.
"Reflect not upon your past misfortunes of which you have had a few but reflect upon your present blessings of which there are many."

With love
Chris
Old 02-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #320
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

A litle humor

Ego

Dharma the Cat says: humans tend to miss the point .

Love Always
mudra
Old 02-01-2010, 10:02 PM   #321
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Mudra
think he needs a catalyst from Dharma.
Smiling wickedly
Love Ch
Old 02-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #322
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Been re reading this thread all 13 pages of it.
A lot of deep spiritual understanding has been contributed by quite a few people.
If you drop by the page I urge to read from page one.

Think I had to read many books to find the info thats shared here.

The ego would of course rather that you have a quick glance and hurry along to the next "Whats new!!!"

We are at a time of great opportunity, cosmic energy, see Nexus thread, is coming into this world with the potential to raise the spiritual vibration of all who are open to it.

Like goes to like.
Love goes to love.
Fear breeds more of the same.
Both fear and specialness are tools of the ego.
The ego dosent have the humility to accept or ask God for help.

For sure any new world will have Christ consciousness as its root foundation.
Some call it the second coming-- same thing.
The body is the temple of God, all you need is already within you waiting to be discovered, Why waste time running here there and everywhere looking for the answer outside of yourself, you wont find it else where.

With love
Chris
Old 02-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #323
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

The Teachings of Eckhart Tolle

Tolle's non-fiction bestseller The Power of Now emphasizes the importance of being aware of the present moment as a way of not being caught up in thoughts of the past and future. His later book A New Earth further explores the structure of the human ego and how this acts to distract people from their present experience of the world. It is the feeding of the human ego that is thought to be the source of inner and outer conflict. Only in examining one's ego may people begin to see beyond it and obtain a sense of spiritual enlightening or a new outlook on reality.

In his view, the present is the gateway to a heightened sense of peace. He states that "being in the now" brings about an awareness that is beyond the mind, an awareness which helps in transcending the ego. The ego means here the false identification with forms and labels: body, mind, thoughts, memories, social roles, life-story, opinions, emotions, material possessions, name, nationality, religion, likes and dislikes, desires, fears etc. If one is present, one recognizes oneself as the space of consciousness in which the thought or impulse arises. One doesn't lose the self in thought, nor does one become the impulse. Being present is being the space, rather than what happens. He says that the mind is to be used as a tool, but not let the mind use the person.

The "pain-body" is the emotional component of ego; it is created by the cumulation of suppressed emotions, the suffering of non-acceptance of what is. The size of "the pain-body" differs from person to person; it originates in the person's past conditioning, usually the early childhood.

He says that our true "identity" is the underlying sense of I Am, which is consciousness itself. Awareness of Being is self-realization and true happiness. He states that we people are very important, because we are here to enable the divine purpose of the universe to unfold.

In his view, all wanting implies that the future is more desirable than the present. As long as you want something, you are seeking to reach some point in the future that promises fulfillment. Thereby you are making the present moment as well as the other persons into a means to an end. You don't need future or future lives to find yourself, and you need to add nothing to you to find yourself.

He believes that the New Testament contains deep spiritual truth as well as distortions, which are due to a misunderstanding of Jesus' teaching. He teaches that when you are present, you access your inner knowing and you will sense what is true and what was added on or distorted.[6]

In his view, love comes into existence when you know who you are in your essence and then recognize the "other" as yourself. It is the end of the delusion of separation, which is created by excessive reliance on thinking.

In his view, this shift in consciousness for most people is not a single event but a process, a gradual disidentification from thoughts and emotions through the arising of awareness.

Love Always
mudra
Old 02-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #324
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Core teachings of Eckhart Tolle:

1. You are not your thoughts. You are the awareness behind the thoughts. Thoughts are often negative and painful, yearning for or fearing something in the future, complaining about something in the present or fearing a matter from the past. However, the thoughts are not you; they are a construct of the ego. Awareness of your thoughts without being caught up in them is the first step to freedom.

2. Only the present moment exists. That is where life is (indeed it is the only place life can truly be found). Becoming aware of the ‘now' has the added benefit that it will draw your attention away from your (negative) thoughts. Use mindfulness techniques to fully appreciate your surroundings and everything you are experiencing. Look and listen intently. Give full attention to the smallest details.

3. Accept the present moment. It is resistance to the present moment that creates most of the difficulties in your life. However, acceptance does not mean that you cannot take action to rectify the situation you are in. What is important is to drop resistance so that you let the moment be, and that any action arises from deeper awareness rather than from resistance. The vast majority of pain in a person's life comes from resistance to what is.

4. Observe the pain-body. Years of conditioned thought patterns, individually and collectively, have resulted in habitual emotional reactions with an apparent personality of their own. During ‘pain-body attacks' we become completely identified with this ‘pain identity' and respond from its agenda–which is to create more pain for ourselves and others. Observing the pain-body is awareness itself arising–as it allows humans to separate from this unconscious identification with pain.

Love Always
mudra
Old 02-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #325
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

A meditation from The Power of Now:

Close your eyes.
Take a few deep breaths.
Feel yourself breathing into the lower abdomen.
Observe how it expands and contracts.
Become aware of the entire inner energy field of the body.
Don't think about this energy, feel it.

Feel your inner body as a single field of energy.
Let go of any images and focus on the feeling.
Experience this sense of presence.
This is your very being and beingness.

Remain in this realm of pure Being as long as you can.
Then become aware again of your physical body.
Become aware of your breathing.
Open your eyes.

Look at your surroundings in this state of beingness.
Look without labeling.
Look while fully feeling.

Love Always
mudra