Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 10-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
NOWIAM
Avalon Senior Member

Exclamation Internet

Does anyone know of how to keep the INTERNET operating if "they" attempt to shut it down?

Last edited by NOWIAM; 10-06-2008 at 04:41 PM.
NOWIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:10 PM   #2
NOWIAM
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Internet

In the latest movie Zeitgeist: Addendum they mentioned the importance of the internet as a vehicle of free speech, etc. It would be ashame to lose it during hard times. Surely there are some people on this forum who know how to keep it up if the "grid" is shut down?

If not I guess we'll all have to use hand cranked self generated ham radio's and short wave radio's. (BTW: Where do you get the ones that don't need batteries but are charged through hand cranks?)
Old 10-08-2008, 03:48 AM   #3
NOWIAM
Avalon Senior Member

It seems a curious thing that we are all using the internet and yet no one seems to know how to keep it up and running if "they" try to knock it down. Wonder if Bill Gates even knows how to keep it up and running?

Another curious thing is that I'm the only one responding to myself. Oh well...
Old 10-08-2008, 03:52 AM   #4
mntruthseeker
Avalon Senior Member

Guess I will check back later for the answers.....

cant live with out it ..............I will surely go nuts.....
mntruthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
Racsouran
Banned

my life sucks bad without the internet i have to admit.
Racsouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
Swamisalami
Banned

I also want to know more about them HAM radio's, in simple terms. Don't want to go back with sending messages with pigeons again.
Swamisalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:07 AM   #7
Bagatell
Avalon Senior Member

My ISP bill is due to be paid but their payment system isn´t working. I have about a week before they cut me off for non payment. Anyone else having problems making online payments?
Bagatell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:23 AM   #8
theochennell
Avalon Senior Member

I am having problems with the net, not with making payments - just staying connected! Am losing connection much more often since 'waking up' 6 months ago. Anyone seem to be having similar probs?
theochennell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #9
Olde

The internet is complex - intentionally if you draw out the design on an A3 piece of paper. Before thinking about keeping the internet up and running you would need to have power - if the power is running then you would need to be able to effectively clone the internet root server farm. This is where the address ranges are managed. The clone would need to be both hard and soft components + all data and metadata.
You would then need to ensure you have control and power to all ISP's and content provider server farms and networks to ensure data and data transport are running. In a sense it is impossible to keep the whole internet running if society collapsed. If you want to keep this and some selective sites running that is a different matter and could be done but the cost is amazing and would involve control over some infrastructure in the skies and on the ground that is very difficult to get.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:13 AM   #10
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

This is a site that copies websites in case they cut them off from your server
http://www.httrack.com/
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #11
Olde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaletriangle View Post
This is a site that copies websites in case they cut them off from your server
http://www.httrack.com/
Useful but limited - this will allow you to view the website at a moment in time but will not allow you to communicate out or obtain updates if the wider network is down. You still need broadcast capability and if the WAN is down you need satellite systems. It can be done but most satellites are locked down and access is not easy.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #12
michaelg
Avalon Senior Member

I agree with Olde.

The internet is a huge complex network consisting of many hardware (analog & digital) & software pieces it seems impossible to be replaced.

But in my opinion "impossible" is our human mind limitation, there is out there technologies suppressed for the public arena that you can power up any device (energy from the vacuum) and shield properly all the electronics against any electromagnetic radiation (solar flares etc.).

We should have had these kind of technologies so far but the power that be has prepared for us something else: famine, food shortage, wars, mind-control technologies etc.
michaelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:53 PM   #13
Kahunamahalo
Avalon Senior Member

Personally, I got along just fine before the internet, computers and cell phones came along (still do not own a cell phone), and I suppose I'll get long just as well if it goes away. It was kind of cool actually walking down the street and talking to people face to face. The internet, forums, texting etc... are basically just one way conversations.
Kahunamahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #14
Thunderbird
Avalon Senior Member

kids are smart. people have ingenuity.
if the net does go down it will be big servers...
there are plenty of small servers all around the world that will remain if big ones go down...
then the smart echies nd kids wil find a way for it to be completely wireless and there will be communities dedicated to building and maitaining towers...etc..

it'll be touch and go for a while but then it'll be alright...actually better
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #15
UncaRay
Avalon Senior Member

Actually there are several plans for keeping "the Internet" up despite disruptions. Currently the Net is very vulnerable to Government, and Corporate control. This is because it is hardwired and these entities own both the wires and the switching facilities. The following suggestions are just me speculating on some of the ways you can get around that and create a resiliant internet. I hope anybody reading this who has some real expertise on the subject would share it with us.

1. As long as phone/cable lines/satellite system continue to function, use the Internet as a neighborhood communications system with people you know face to face. Set up your own dedicated server using free software available on the web, and you can use it to create your own neighborhood internet, that will function as long as electricity and phone lines remain. The Internet began with text only, a very fast and low bandwidth approach to communicating that has the advantage of leaving a text copy of the conversation available to many readers at once.

2. Consider stringing your own phone lines in the neighborhood, or alternately, getting a Wifi broadcaster with boosters.

3. More speculatively, if the commercial internet goes down, it will be conceivable that millions of these "Neighborhood Internets," could interconnect to form a kind of "cloud internet," Nodes could be connected by radio.

4. A fully "Wireless" internet, using technology available to average folks, might be cobbled together from thousands of UHF (I'm assuming UHF is good for digital signals.) Broadcasting stations and receivers that would form "nodes" available to users. This would have to be a major project undertaken by individuals to set it up. On the other hand it would be completely under "The People's " control.

5. One of the advantages of the Internet is the amount of accessible information available on it. You could pick a subject and download all the information on it and store it on removable hard drives. If the Net went down you would still have the data, and could share it with others.

Anyone else care to add some ideas?
UncaRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #16
Bagatell
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncaRay View Post
Anyone else care to add some ideas?
UncaRay I think you have probably given this subject a lot more thought than most. Please keep us updated. I shall be wardriving my ancient Telefonica thingamejig back up the mountain next time I´m in town.
Bagatell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #17
Waterman
Avalon Senior Member

There are groups you should get plugged into now in order to get caught up with internet options. These groups have proceedures in place that are implemented or are being implemented now to access the net.

So check out this group in your area.
http://www.2600.com/meetings/
Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote