Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Old 11-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #26
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Default Re: Posting long passages of outside text is prohibited.

I need to ask everyone to please cooperate with this rule.
Just post a summary or a paragraph and a link to the web page hosting the article.
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:20 PM   #27
waitinginthewings
Avalon Senior Member

Question:

Since bandwith is a concern here, what about posting very large pictures, & sometimes many large pics in one post. What about posting You-tube vids, many of them in the same post. Do they not take up bandwith, the same as long text posts?

Not picking on anyone here, just trying to understand what the limits are and are not.
waitinginthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:43 AM   #28
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitinginthewings View Post
Question: Since bandwith is a concern here, what about posting very large pictures, & sometimes many large pics in one post. What about posting You-tube vids, many of them in the same post. Do they not take up bandwith, the same as long text posts? Not picking on anyone here, just trying to understand what the limits are and are not.
It's not just about band width. It's more about respecting people's copyrights. I've made a lot of comments about the whys in previous posts in this thread. I supposed in a perfect world everything would be all lined up, cut and dried, but in this world there are grey areas, overlaps, etc, and you have to pick a point at which to draw the line. I'm just trying to do the best we can with the guidelines the way I found them when I came on as moderator. It's a pretty standard set of guidelines for maintaining order in online bulletin boards, email discussion groups, and internet forums.

Here's a link to the guidelines:
Old 11-09-2009, 02:59 AM   #29
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitinginthewings View Post
Question:

Since bandwith is a concern here, what about posting very large pictures, & sometimes many large pics in one post. What about posting You-tube vids, many of them in the same post. Do they not take up bandwith, the same as long text posts?

Not picking on anyone here, just trying to understand what the limits are and are not.
Just a technical point here - those things do use up bandwidth for the user, but not for Camelot/Avalon's server. The bandwidth they use is the server that is linked to (eg: youtube, or that of the picture hosting sites). When I am working remotely I can block those images to save my broadband caps and still be able to browse Avalon. Many people still use low speed telephone and modem connections and large postings can be a problem for them.

So really the point is about not forceing people to download content that given a choice they would not have. That is why a brief description and a link is kinder.

More extreme examples of breaking this rule include threads comprised of books posted one chapter at a time per post! Or many posts containing long sections of an even longer article Is the kind of thing we have seen (and removed) - a link to scribd or the source is better for everyone.

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:25 AM   #30
waitinginthewings
Avalon Senior Member

Tks mods for clearing up this somewhat confusing issue.
waitinginthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:35 AM   #31
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Still trying to get compliance with this guideline.
Read post #1.
Thank you so much.

Karen and all the moderators
Old 12-07-2009, 11:21 AM   #32
EYES WIDE OPEN
Avalon Senior Member

Hi. I work as a research librarian so am familiar with copyright. Not to throw a spanner in the works but I think fair use CAN be applied here. It has worked without problems over on the OMF forums for years.
Also, most of the links that are posted are originaly written by people who want nothing other than to get their information out to a wider audience. Im sure they would be grateful rather than ****** off. Also, the links are for information purposes only and nobody is making a profit. I think a simple citation after a link is enough. Or put the whole artcle into a quote. It just seems more reasonable to me. What do the mods think? Can a happy medium be reached before you guys just go ahead and do it?

Last edited by EYES WIDE OPEN; 12-07-2009 at 11:48 AM.
EYES WIDE OPEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #33
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Ok, so a few weeks back we decided to rewrite this rule - Now one of us just needs to make that happen.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #34
EYES WIDE OPEN
Avalon Senior Member

Also, in terms of "long posts" you need to define "long". After all, how long is a piece of string?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #35
morguana
Project Avalon Moderator

eyes, the string has an infinate lenght, multidimensional and only has a length when it is given one........., apparently

sorry couldnt resist!
bou x

the way is not in the sky, the way is in the heart

forum guidlines

Avalon Chat
morguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #36
EYES WIDE OPEN
Avalon Senior Member

:lol:
Old 12-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #37
Majorion
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
I need to ask everyone to please cooperate with this rule.
Just post a summary or a paragraph and a link to the web page hosting the article.
I couldn't agree more.

You know sometimes I wonder why people even post these huge amounts of text when they could easily copy/paste a sentence or two just to illustrate a point. I'm betting that most people don't even read those large quotations, I mean who has the time. And I don't think its confined to just external material, often in threads there are those who quote others' entire passages, only to deliver one meaningless sentence under the entire quotation.

Its fairly simple, query-and-response, a sentence replying to another sentence, thats the beauty!
Majorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #38
leeellismusic
Avalon Senior Member

To Karen - Or any of the moderators (Off This Topic

Maybe you can help me. I'm new here, about three months - and for some reason I cannot send a private message OR even post a visitor message... I've sent three (!) help requests to the "Contact Us" button at the bottom of these pages - to no avail...

You can e-mail me at <leeellismusic@mac.com> - if you have a suggestion I would be ever so grateful!

Thanks, Blessings and Happy New Year!
Lee
leeellismusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:46 AM   #39
Roman195
Avalon Senior Member

I think if you got a good lawyer this forum can qualify for an academic setting. I agree with just posting snippets of a work and then lead the person to the complete work if need be. You could spend days reading the infromation on this forum and become a prisoner to it.

Peace
Roman
Roman195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #40
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeellismusic View Post
To Karen - Or any of the moderators (Off This Topic

Maybe you can help me. I'm new here, about three months - and for some reason I cannot send a private message OR even post a visitor message... I've sent three (!) help requests to the "Contact Us" button at the bottom of these pages - to no avail...

You can e-mail me at <leeellismusic@mac.com> - if you have a suggestion I would be ever so grateful!

Thanks, Blessings and Happy New Year!
Lee
Seems like it was 2 or 3 days ago, Anchor made it so you can PM -

I have reported the "Contact Us" button problem to admin. Thanks for the head's up!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #41
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman195 View Post
I think if you got a good lawyer this forum can qualify for an academic setting. I agree with just posting snippets of a work and then lead the person to the complete work if need be. You could spend days reading the infromation on this forum and become a prisoner to it. Peace Roman
I know someone that I think can check this out for us - thank you, I have passed along the message.