Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Free Energy

Notices

Free Energy Free Energy devices and information

Old 11-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
SamWhiteHopi
Avalon Senior Member

Default DIY Solar Panel Advice

Hi,

Soon I may have to move to a place where there is no electricity. But even if there were I would like to switch over to solar, as I doubt we are going to be able to access unclean electricity for much longer with the world as it is. Or it will just be too expensive. I don’t want electricity from the power plants anyhows. I am sick of being part of the system raping our Mother Earth. When my British parents and I moved to Australia in 1972 we traveled in a Land Rover for two years, slept under the stars, bathed naked in the sea and billabongs and cooked on a wood fuelled camp fire. Two years without electricity and without running chemically contaminated tap water. BLISS!!! Unfortunately we had to settle because I reached school age. But I digress.

I have been the full time carer of my best friend, Robert, for these past 15 years. He was born with cerebral palsy quadriplegia and is totally dependent on me, he is 35, I am nearly 40. He has an electric wheelchair, and I use an electric mobility scooter, as I have a connective tissue disorder, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, and can’t walk too far. So it is pretty important to keep these two things running now and where we will be in the future. We have no family support or any friends who can help us. We live below the poverty line, so advice here is very important as I can’t afford to make any major financial stuff ups by experimenting.

Has anyone here read one or all three of the following books on DIY solar panels? Here is a review link http://www.homeenergyreviews.com/ Books are: Earth4Energy, Home Made Energy, Home Made Power Plant.

I hope to make us totally self sufficient were we intend going. So making our own solar panels at the fraction of the cost of already made, that would be too expensive, would be pretty handy. If I can't access solar power we don't move and that will mean big trouble for us.

Thanks in advance.

Love&peace,
Sam
Just outside Darwin,
Northern Territory
Australia.
SamWhiteHopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Bobcat
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: DIY Solar Panel Advice

hope this helps: http://uk.youtube.com/results?search...q=1&oq=solar+p

Good luck m8
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
SamWhiteHopi
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
Thanks, Bobcat. Been frying my brain with the videos that this link provided. They have been very helpful and very interesting. I have brain ache . I am literally starting from scratch learning about electricity and how we get it from grids apposed to solar.

Got to phone around to see what Darwin businesses supply and the costs, from already made to kits and bits and pieces for DYI. It will be a great learning experience and I will post about my progress in a few weeks time. In the meantime I am open to anyone who has used the books I mentioned in my post.

Being faced with caring for someone who is totally dependent and severly handicapped raises a unique situation when faced with going back to basics of living. Though someone with disabilities has extra needs they can survive under very extreme conditions. Where there is a will, there is a way. Robert is thrilled about the idea, but try telling that to someone who hasn't cared for a severely handicapped individual, or who is not handicapped themselves. Blimy, many of these people live such boring lives!! Nothing ventured nothing gained. And anyway, when society breaks down we are going to be faced with going back to basics anyway, but at least by then we hopefully will be prepared and have a lot better chances of surviving, and surviving more comfortably.

Our main essential would be a small freezer as ice is a vital part of keeping some pretty nasty sores and rashes at bay. Solar freezers will be pretty easy to find out about. Without the knowledge of ice treatment Robert would be dead now. We have had some really scary experiences with the so called 'professionals'. Let us deal with the bush anyday, The bush is friend, and a very close one when we get to know it. After all, bush is part of our loving provider, Mother Earth.

Love&peace,
Sam
SamWhiteHopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 08:03 AM   #4
Bobcat
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Sam, sorry for the late reply. I only just noticed it. Well since its pay to post time i'll say to you, Good luck with your mission.

cya

Bobcat

p.s. check this item out too; http://mysolarbackup.com/

It's a solar generator.

Last edited by Bobcat; 12-13-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Bobcat that looks good, shame it's not here in UK
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
Bobcat
Avalon Senior Member

it does doesnt it, cant it be imported ?
Old 12-13-2008, 01:19 PM   #7
alyscat
Avalon Senior Member

I'd do a lot of research on this (which you are), as your electrical demands will be fairly high. As an example, I just ordered solar for my house that I"m building, and it's a lot more than 1 panel at 75 watts. And even at that, the installer was concerned because my father is on 24/7 oxygen and the machine that concentrates it out of the air is on full time, which means a constant pull on the inverter and draw on the batteries.

Good luck with your endeavors, I totally understand wanting to get off the grid.

alys
alyscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
NorthernSanctuary
Avalon Senior Member

You can keep the lighting energy low with LED lighting. Also solar production cost is dropping from 3 to 1 dollar/watt.

Here's a related link:
http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=14307
NorthernSanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #9
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

Check this site out Sam - but you might have to be quick as the offer ends next Monday.

http://www.beyondbuildingenergy.com/
Brinty is offline   Reply With Quote