Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #26
illuminate
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Does anyone else have a view of the moon and it's halo the last three nights?

oh cool, it'll be nice to see everyone show their full moons

and nice cloud shots Phtha! I take shots of the clouds and the moon
more than anything else... so much beauty in the sky and in nature.

~ one love ~
illuminate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:25 AM   #27
lawyerforliberty
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Does anyone else have a view of the moon and it's halo the last three nights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phtha View Post
Yea! I noticed that here the last few nights, to cloudy tonight to see it though... I'm a little surprised you see it down in Cali as well.

Yesterday and the day before there was a massive halo surrounding it, even when it was a cloudless sky. The moon also 'reddened' near by clouds when they were in the sky, especially as it neared the horizon.

I didn't take any pics of it, but here are some pics I snapped a few days ago of clouds with these rainbow colours inside them. I've been noticing these quite often the last few years or so, they appear in the daytime when the sun hits them. The camera does not pick up all the colours, and the colours that the camera does pick up are not as vivid as when viewed with the naked eye.... have you ever noticed these?

I live in New Mexico USA and I did indeed notice the halo around the moon a few nights ago. Since then its been too cloudy to see. What struck me was how large, our as this post says, "massive" it was. I was so struck by the size of it I dragged my wife out to look at it. I cannot recall seeing a halo that large at any time before.
lawyerforliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:29 AM   #28
lawyerforliberty
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeMental View Post
HUGE round halo around the moon miles and miles across. Can totally verify that. Similar to this photo I Googled.
That's it. That is what I saw in New Mexico USA on or about 1/25/10, but the moon was about half full. A huge complete circle around a half-circle object.
lawyerforliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:32 PM   #29
Firstlook
Avalon Senior Member

Well I took my photo at around 4:30 am. I thought could get better detail but I overestimated my camera. lol. I dont use it much.

Anyways here is how I saw the moon this morning and last night. The brightest it will be all year......

Last edited by Firstlook; 01-30-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Firstlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #30
Stargazer1965
Hall Monitor

I'm in the midwest and don't see any of the effects you guys are seeing.....On a cloudless night the other night ...nothing but a spectacular view of the craters on the moon

The clouds have no chembows.....I wonder what they are trying to enact or suppress out west??
Stargazer1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #31
illuminate
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstlook View Post
Well I took my photo at around 4:30 am. I thought could get better detail but I underestimated my camera. lol. I dont use it much.

Anyways here is how I saw the moon this morning and last night. The brightest it will be all year......

that's awesome, THX for posting it...
I unfortunately got hit with a snow storm last night and the sky was
covered with clouds, couldn't see the moon at all
bummer!

~ one love ~
Old 01-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #32
DoctorWho
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer1965 View Post
I'm in the midwest and don't see any of the effects you guys are seeing.....On a cloudless night the other night ...nothing but a spectacular view of the craters on the moon
Oddly, I'm in Central Illinois and I saw it two nights ago even with a very thin cloud cover in the upper atmosphere. The moon was at it's maximum height in the sky and the aura ring looked like it was miles away from the moon. Last night the cloud cover was thicker, so the detail was missing. You could see the moon as a diffused light source with no detail.
Bill "the Doctor"
DoctorWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:23 AM   #33
Phtha
Avalon Senior Member

Lightbulb Re: Does anyone else have a view of the moon and it's halo the last three nights?

ahh shame... yea it was overcast where I was too during the perigee so I couldn't get any pics either.
I guess Mars wanted a little cover during his tryst with Luna.

Here are some pics I snapped about 10 minutes ago of our Lady though. She is out pretty good tonight. Mars is still close by but not nearly close enough to get them in the same shot.

Phtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:27 AM   #34
Christo888
Avalon Senior Member

Hey Phtha sweet pics!!!!
Christo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:24 AM   #35
Firstlook
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
ahh shame... yea it was overcast where I was too during the perigee so I couldn't get any pics either.
I guess Mars wanted a little cover during his tryst with Luna.

Here are some pics I snapped about 10 minutes ago of our Lady though. She is out pretty good tonight. Mars is still close by but not nearly close enough to get them in the same shot.

Now thats a picture of the moon!!
Old 01-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #36
sunny D
Avalon Senior Member

The halo was beautiful in Holland as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_moon
sunny D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:00 PM   #37
Stargazer1965
Hall Monitor

Phtha...I was thinking about getting a telescope this spring....Do you have any suggestions??

Also...Have you heard of one with a usb for pic taking and programming the coordinates in and it track an object??

Thanks in advance
Stargazer1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:03 PM   #38
Phtha
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks guys!
Stargazer, that was actually taken with a Camera, a Rebel XTi. I was a little surprised at the clarity myself once I uploaded them on the PC...
I had a 70-300mm lense on, zoomed to the max of course.

It made me want to get a telescope too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer1965 View Post
Phtha...I was thinking about getting a telescope this spring....Do you have any suggestions??
Old 01-31-2010, 07:16 PM   #39
Christo888
Avalon Senior Member

Phtha, looking at your pics of the moon... it begins to look like the glow of city lights or undersurface city's instead of reflections of the sun.
Christo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:31 PM   #40
fossileyesed
Avalon Senior Member

i missed this one as it was a little snowy the last few days.i take a lot of pics of everything but the winter is a little less photogenic.mildly bi polar,lol
so i've been taking mostly night shots of the stars and moon,planets and such.
i have an album with quite a few moon shots.i was looking for halo pics,i know i got some.i get side tracked really easy(add is a blessing in desguise)
when i'm looking at pictures,they speak better than words,lol
page two and three got the moon pics

http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/a...hp?albumid=558

peace...kent

maybe it clears up tonight,lol
fossileyesed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:49 PM   #41
Phtha
Avalon Senior Member

Talking Re: Does anyone else have a view of the moon and it's halo the last three nights?

Yah Christo888 it almost does look like she has her own light source. Even if she is illuminated 100% by the Sun, I was always fascinated by the way she glows like she does. Well... she is spot on with the rest of the fairer sex... shrouded in mystery.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #42
Phtha
Avalon Senior Member

Exclamation Re: Does anyone else have a view of the moon and it's halo the last three nights?

Here is what she looks like tonight. Not quite a Full Moon.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #43
aroundthetable
Avalon Senior Member

i took this on my blackberry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moon jan 30th 2010 042.jpg (9.7 KB, 6 views)
aroundthetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #44
Firstlook
Avalon Senior Member

I took another one this morning. This time I did just a little better and also adjusted the brightness and contrast. I didnt mess with anything else like color or any other effects. Its still blury though. I'll work on getting a tri pod.

Peace

Old 02-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #45
Phtha
Avalon Senior Member

Yea a tripod is pretty much a must for shooting anything celetial. You captured a really nice colour their on that last pic though! Are you using an SLR?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstlook View Post
I took another one this morning. This time I did just a little better and also adjusted the brightness and contrast. I didnt mess with anything else like color or any other effects. Its still blury though. I'll work on getting a tri pod.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #46
illuminate
Avalon Senior Member

wow, awesome shots!!!
THX so much for sharing

~ one love ~
Old 02-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #47
Firstlook
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminate View Post
wow, awesome shots!!!
THX so much for sharing

~ one love ~
Absolutely. Heres hoping for more to come.

Quote:
Yea a tripod is pretty much a must for shooting anything celetial. You captured a really nice colour their on that last pic though! Are you using an SLR?
I dont think so, but maybe.....I have a digital Canon Powershot A720 is.

I dont have the manual and it doesnt imply it on the actual camera. But from what I gather the shoot screen on is supposed to represent the actual view? IDK about this stuff yet.

I'll do some googling and figure out how to take the best shots I can. Any advice?

peace
Old 02-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #48
morem
Avalon Senior Member

Hello I thought I would share my picture of the moon I took last night with my 8mp cannon camara. This is in Chicago after several nights of cloud cover finally we get to see the moon. It was taken around 10:00 pm central time zone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0666.jpg (9.8 KB, 5 views)
morem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #49
Phtha
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Firstlook, no the power shots are not SLR. I'm not familiar with the powershots, I have used one before... but can't remember if you can adjust the aperture or ISO settings. I'm pretty sure this is for SLR only.
If you can though... for taking shots of Luna, I find it best to set ISO to lowest possible (100 in my case) and then keep playing with the aperture settings until she looks quite dark in the resulting picture. That way her details come out the best as they are not hidden by her glow.
And adjusting the levels after is a must, to bring out all her detials.

Here are a few Lunapics taken last year while she was in full bloom:

[/QUOTE]
Old 02-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #50
Firstlook
Avalon Senior Member

Phtha,

Thanks. I do have ISO (80-1600). Im gonna download the manual too.

Those are great shots!! Gives me something to shoot for.

Thanks again.

peace