Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Global Ground Crew Networking > Africa > SOUTH AFRICA

Notices

Old 09-11-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
matrix
Avalon Senior Member

Default Finding community

I am planning a trip around South Africa from October 2008 to February 2009 to visit ecovillages. I have worked on a business plan, but became very aware that "the map is not the territory" and hope to gain practical skills, insights and knowledge on this trip. I also hope to attract founder members for a community who are visionary and of pioneering spirit.

The Vision:
Establishing a socially, economically and ecologically self sufficient, rural eco-village community, living in harmony with nature, leaving a legacy for future generations, through sharing of resources and cultivating a culture of holistic living in radiant zones
If you share this vision of starting/joining a self-sufficient rural community in South Africa, I would love to hear from you.

Somewhere between the 1st world and the 3rd world, we will meet, work and play in our NEW WORLD!
matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:25 PM   #2
Kate
Avalon Senior Member

Location: currently UK, searching for a safe relocation in next year
Default Re: Finding community

hey matrix! I wish u much luck with this new and noble venture!! go in peace and safety and i pray your vision becomes reality! keep in touch and let us know how its going!!

live love laugh learn

fire
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
matrix
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks Fire! I will need all the good wishes that I can get - it is moving out of a comfort zone, but I am looking forward to the experience. The way in which this forum has just exploded, just re-assures me that there are many like minded people out there...we must just keep on organising and connect.

Love & Light
matrix
Old 09-24-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
Bigleap
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Matrix.

Wish you well on your trip. If you're in Cape Town get in contact with me. I am involved in Oude Molen Village in Cape Town and might be able to put you in contact with some interesting people.

Bigleap
Bigleap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
African Hut
Avalon Senior Member

If you're in the Zulu Kingdom (KwaZulu-Natal) you might like to look up The Valley Trust, a local NGO in the scenic Thousand Hills area. Some info

The Valley Trust

In rural communities, socio-economic problems are compounded by limited skills and resources. The solution lies in breaking the cycles by challenging traditional ways of doing things and in utilising the potential within communities. This is the ethos behind the Valley Trust Organisation. Starting with essential health care, a range of empowerment projects have evolved where community members participate democratically in projects conceived and jointly undertaken with them.

The Simunye handcraft project is based on indigenous knowledge and skill passed from generation to generation in Zulu culture. With over 1500 affliates around the Valley of 1000 Hills in 5 tribal areas, the association produces and sells traditional Zulu bead and art work locally, nationally and Internationally. The Simunye project is self managed and administered and carefully researched with a thriving sales office based at The Valley Trust Conference Centre. International delegates like those form World Conference Against Racism, XIIIth Annual Conference on AIDS and the Commonwealth conference before it, who came to The Valley Trust for project site visits, offer great opportunities for these projects to expand their market to places as far afield as Japan.

This events also stimulate the economy by supporting local transport suppliers who ferry delegates around the valley to project sites and the Trust's catering sector benefits from providing lunches and refreshments.

Conferencing is an area with great potential to strengthen the capacity of individuals and communities. For more about the centre set in the scenic Valley of a Thousand Hills, please Tel: 031 7771955 or visit www.thevalleytrust.org.za
African Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
urbanshaman
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Matrix,

Great to know we have like minded people in South Africa, I would definitely be interested in being an active member of the community, know a few people who would be too.
urbanshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
Subsonik
Avalon Senior Member

As would I, although I'm in London until early next year before I go home to Cape Town. Let's keep in touch...
Subsonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
matrix
Avalon Senior Member

Hi all!

Big Leap, Urbanshaman, African Hut & Subsonik, thanks for the interest and good wishes, much appreciated.

I have packed up and stored all my 'stuff' (tip to all - DECLUTTER!!)
Attended a wedding celebration and re grouped with friends...tommorrow is D-day. I start as a WWOOFER at an ecovillage Berg 'n Dal, Ladismith Cape province tomorrow. Mixed feelings, but hey, every journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step, right?

With the global economic chaos and the expected changes at hand, I believe that the time is right to be flexible. I feel an urgency to find community and/or to co-create a radiant zone with the right people asap.

We are indeed living interesting times.

KZN is planned for Feb 2009, will make contact African hut
Oude Molen will be a 'soft visit' when I touch home base (hermanus) again, Big leap

Will be without comms for a while (off grid) but will keep in touch.

Thanks again for your good wishes.

Blessings, love & light
Old 10-29-2008, 10:33 PM   #9
beluga
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigleap View Post
Hi Matrix.

Wish you well on your trip. If you're in Cape Town get in contact with me. I am involved in Oude Molen Village in Cape Town and might be able to put you in contact with some interesting people.

Bigleap
Hi Bigleap

I will be back in Cape Town (hometown) in December to thaw out and am interested in what is happening at Oude Molen Village? As far as I recall, there used to be artist studios/community at Valkenberg - do you know if that all still exists?

Great to see some South African's on here...

o0o
oo
o
beluga
beluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Friends visit my thread: Radiant zones and community building...Where are we up to ?

http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15480

loving kindness
mudra
mudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #11
Jaan
Avalon Senior Member

Big hello to everyone
I'm in Taiwan but would love to know more about communities in SA.
bighugs
Jaan
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote