Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Off-Topic

Notices

Old 03-08-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
NorthernSanctuary
Avalon Senior Member

Default category 5 cyclone (hurricane)

Category 5 Cyclone (Hurricane) 260kph winds bearing down on Australian east coast NOW.

Currently heading straight for Australian mid coast.

Infra red satellite picture

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/satell...=3&lye=1&lyf=1
NorthernSanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
henners
Project Avalon Researcher

Default Re: category 5 cyclone (hurricane)

Yes its been in the news all day here in Sydney. And to think i was at the Island they are evacuating right now last week. One of our drivers is heading that way on monday. Our cyclones are pretty savage at these time of the year.

Henry
Choose wisely which ones you throw.
henners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
The voice of One
Avalon Senior Member

We've had the worst bushfires the country has seen in Victoria. Down south. With the fire traveling at 73 kmh at some points, heat that exceeded 1,000 degrees C, that melted alloy wheels and cylinder heads on the escaping cars, killed 230 people that we know of, destroyed over 2,000 homes and at some places, the fire traveled 23 kmh in 4 minutes before anyone could act. At the same time, the top end of Queensland was under flood waters that covered 2/3rd's of the state. Now there about to cop a catergory 5 cyclone. Something fishy is going on here! Either we are not being told something major is in the works on a cosmic scale, or 'they' are up to something and useing us as a testing ground..once again. Now Australia has seen a lot of natural disasters and we are use to weird and wonderful, but the begining of this year is taking the cake!
The voice of One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
NorthernSanctuary
Avalon Senior Member

I use to think Australia was a safe place to be for changes (similar to Canada), but with all the changes that is happening there, I'm beginning to wonder if it is a safe place going into the future. What's happening there?

There was a recent earthquake there also:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...88-661,00.html
4.6 intensity earthquake felt across Melbourne and Victoria

Staff reporters
March 06, 2009 09:00pm
UPDATE 5.45pm: RESIDENTS as far north as Bendigo and Seymour felt an earthquake hitting 4.6 on the Richter Scale that rocked Victoria last night.

Millions of Victorians felt the quake just after 9pm, with many waking to cracked walls and broken windows this morning. There was no major damage or injuries reported.

Residents of Korumburra - the South Gippsland town closest to the quake's epicentre - felt as many as five minor aftershocks, with the largest at about 3am.

Rumbles continued into the morning with many residents feeling a jolt at about 10.15am. Geoscience Australia said two of the aftershocks hit 3.1 on the Richter Scale.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did the earth move for you? Tell us about your quake experience in the comments below

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The quake was the strongest in 36 years, according to Geoscience Australia.

The last time the earth shook with such force so close to Melbourne was in 1973, when a quake measuring 5 happened at Wonthaggi south-east of Melbourne.

In last night's quake, the epicentre was just north of Korumburra, 90km south-east of Melbourne, and was felt over several hundred kilometres.

State SES duty officer Tim Wiebusch said the volunteer crews spent most of the night assessing property damage across the city.

Mr Wiebusch said the size of the earthquake was significant, but only minor damage to property, mainly hairline cracking in plaster and walls, had been reported.

But he said there were dozens of calls for help from the SES late last night.

"An earthquake measuring 4.6 is certainly enough that people will get a very strong feeling of the earthquake. People in part of Gippsland have reported shaking of buildings,'' he said.

"It's certainly been quite some time since we've had a magnitude anywhere near that order.

"Specifically earthquakes in Victoria in recent years have been in the range of 2 -3.5 (on the Richter Scale).''

More aftershocks are possible today, but unlikely and SES believes the 30 calls they received last night will be the brunt of the damage.

But residents concerned about structural damange to their homes are advised to turn off gas and electricity appliances and contact the SES on 132 500.

The epicentre hit just north of Korumburra in South Gippsland, but the earthquake was powerful enough to shake buildings and cause some residents to fall off their couches in metropolitan Melbourne.

Some homes around Korumburra and Leongatha lost power for up to 10 minutes.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said there were no reports of any injuries.

Phil Cummins, duty seismologist at Geoscience Australia, which monitors earthquake activity, confirmed the tremor measured 4.6.

"It was certainly a moderate earthquake that was likely to be felt across a wide area but is unlikely to have caused any damage, except possibly some minor damage near the epicentre,'' Mr Cummins said.

Balnarring resident Karl Rohner said the quake caused cracks in his ceiling and a broken window. He described the sensation of the quake as sitting on jelly.

Korumburra Hotel bar worker Kylie Luttrel said she thought the pub had been hit by a truck.

"We get lots of trucks through here, so when the earth started shaking, my first thought was that a truck was about to smash through,'' Ms Luttrel said.

But she said patrons remained calm, and nothing had been damaged.

"Nobody screamed, but everybody was a little anxious.''

Korumburra resident James Carter said the quake shook books off the shelves in his family home.

"There were also paintings falling off walls, power out, and the phone network down,'' Mr Carter said.

Gerry Davenport, 82, was sitting in his Scoresby home when he felt the tremor.

"I didn't know if someone had run into the house, because it was vibrating so badly,'' Mr Davenport said.

Langwarrin farmer Jenny Haig, 56, was watching TV when the windows started rattling.

"I jumped up to run to my husband when it happened, it was pretty scary,'' Ms Haig said.

Endeavour Hills resident Davide Andreotti said the episode was frightening.

"The room and coffee table started shaking for about 10 seconds,'' Mr Andreotti said.

I never thought to feel something like this in Melbourne!''

Where the quake has been reported:

Avondale Heights, Altona

Berwick, Bundoora, Bunyip, Bayswater, Bayswater North, Burwood, Boronia, Blackburn, Belgrave

Craigieburn, Camberwell, Cheltenham, Cranbourne

Druin, Dromana

Essendon, Elwood, Elsternwick

Fairfield, Frankston, Forest Hill, Ferntree Gully

Glen Waverley, Gembrook, Glenroy

Hastings, Heathmont

Ivanhoe, Inverloch

Kew, Kooweerup, Kylsythe

Lilydale, Langewarrin

Mt Evelyn, Mont Albert, Mt Martha, Mt Waverley, Malvern East, Macleod, Mooralbark, Mernda, Mt Dandenong

North Balwyn, Northcote

Olinda

Pakenham, Phillip Island

Rosanna, Ringwood East, Rye, Rowville

Sunshine, South Gippsland, South Morang, Springvale, Scoresby

Upwey

Wantirna South, Wonthaggi

Yarra Valley
NorthernSanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
Luminari
Avalon Senior Member

Question Re: category 5 cyclone (hurricane)

• Add to that a massive increase in Shark attacks all around the country.
  • Crocodile attacks on the increase, Crocs are moving further south every year.
  • Recent mass Whale beachings.
Luminari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
oceanblue
Avalon Senior Member

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...08/2510366.htm

The Western Australian wheatbelt town of Beacon has been hit by about 100 earthquakes over the past month...
oceanblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:31 AM   #7
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

Earth tremors are only scary for people who aren't used to them. Earth tremors are a way of life in parts of New Zealand - as are earthquakes and volcanic activity. On the other hand, an earthquake is somewhat different to an earth tremor. In an earthquake you get structural damage with possible loss of life. That event rarely happens in Australia, and there is nothing to become alarmed about at this stage.

Just as a matter of interest, how many of us on this forum have experienced earth tremors or earthquakes or volcanic eruptions?

The news media is always quick to jump on the bandwagon and ring alarm bells and stir up panic in general. They think they are doing us all a service. You know the old story, "Why let the truth get in the way of a good story." If it's sensational, turn it up good and loud.
Brinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #8
Noela
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks for the above info, Aussies. I went to the Courier-Mail website, but didn't get much information.

Could someone tell me what island is being evacuated?

I have a daughter who lives on the Sunshine Coast.

I am a Queenslander - not unused to cylonic weather,
but when I spent 2006 at Margaret River (WA) - it
felt like being at the end of the world - almost constant
wind and rain!
Noela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noela View Post
Thanks for the above info, Aussies. I went to the Courier-Mail website, but didn't get much information.

Could someone tell me what island is being evacuated?

I have a daughter who lives on the Sunshine Coast.

I am a Queenslander - not unused to cylonic weather,
but when I spent 2006 at Margaret River (WA) - it
felt like being at the end of the world - almost constant
wind and rain!
For more recent updates, try this site Noela . . . .

http://au.news.yahoo.com/

If that doesn't tell you much try channel 10 news or even ABC news.
Brinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #10
Noela
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks Brinty - I found the website you gave excellent,
and will keep myself posted through that.
Noela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #11
oceanblue
Avalon Senior Member

Apparently earth tremors are becoming way of life for Melburnians...

http://www.theage.com.au/national/me...0318-91w6.html
Old 03-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #12
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Good luck you lot down under
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:30 AM   #13
oceanblue
Avalon Senior Member

No worries, mate. Just be positive as always.