Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Global Ground Crew Networking > United States

Notices

Old 09-23-2008, 02:18 PM   #26
Argante
Avalon Senior Member

Default Virginia

Please list all Virginia locations here.
Argante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #27
rinauldi
Banned

Default Re: Virginia

Centreville/Chantilly area here.

I've been working on this type of thing for quite awhile, and would love to be involved in any discussions.
rinauldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #28
STicKY_EyEs
Avalon Senior Member

Virginina Beach 757/ 7 Cities area here!!!!!!
STicKY_EyEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:13 PM   #29
David
Avalon Senior Member

Hello everyone. Just an FYI; there is a new thread up for a Appalachian ground crew. Maybe this is a good place for all surrounding states of the Appalachian to join in on.

http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=3241
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #30
doodah
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Richmond, Virginia Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Welcome Providence! Please feel free to add comments or suggestions. Always glad to have another Virginian here.

Fuglybugger, did I miss the most important thing? Water? I have often thought about this I think a portable water filter is an excellent idea. I may try to get one of these filters you mentioned, it would make life a lot easier. If someone is unable to buy one of these filters then you can make one out of containers and charcoal from your fire. Takes more effort for clean water but handy if you don't have a Doulton or Berkey water filter.

1. Rain water or other water supply.
2. Carbon: Burned wood "charcoal" from a fire.
3. If you don't have chlorine then you can boil the water after the filter.

I keep trying to come up with a place to go and I think your absolutely right. The Appalachian trail system is an ideal place to go in an emergency like this.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/tr...-4-0-appsm.jpg
Hi All,

This construction will work, but it is pretty high tech on the bucket end (plastic, made from petroleum). This type of thing will also work with unglazed clay pots stacked 3 high, holes in the bottoms plugged. There is plenty of clay around almost everything. If you can't get buckets, you can make clay pots of your own and pit-fire them to sufficient hardness to use. Just keep in mind that plastic will crack or develop holes if you're not careful, then what do you do? It can be mended with high heat and more plastic to use as a filler, but clay is almost everywhere.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #31
doodah
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Richmond, Virginia Area

David and others,

I am willing to offer my place as a way-stop if people feel they need to get to the mountains. I am west of Roanoke but not in the highlands. Further info would have to be exchanged by private email, not through this forum.

Any are welcome if they are headed elsewhere. I have only a very small patch of land (1/4 acre) out in the country, and a very tiny house (think hobbit house). Any passing through would have to think in terms of camping on the land (there is a fire pit), and it would be good if you had your own food and drinking water, although I wlll share what I have as best I can. I have only small stores of food and water.

Access to the Appalachian Trail is located near here, but a little further East, from Catawba Mountain.

So... consider this an offer of a stayover at a wayside inn, if you come quietly and respectfully here and can accept the conditions as they exist.

I am searching for my own Radiant Zone, and there may be some potentials around this area, but I do not have enough land to consider it.

namaste!
Old 09-24-2008, 11:57 PM   #32
David
Avalon Senior Member

doodah,

That is very kind of you. Traveling in times of crisis can become dangerous and wearying. A friendly way-stop is enough to raise anyone's spirit.

Thank you,

David
Old 09-25-2008, 12:53 AM   #33
doodah
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
doodah,

That is very kind of you. Traveling in times of crisis can become dangerous and wearying. A friendly way-stop is enough to raise anyone's spirit.

Thank you,

David
My thoughts exactly! Please make note of this somehow, and keep for future reference; don't let it get lost in the shuffle here. As long as I am still here, the offer is good.

Peace to all this troubled planet!
Old 09-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #34
DJModer
Avalon Senior Member

I'm in Alexandria area. Would like to get involved in this group. I'm studying how to build a free energy machine. If I have some success building one, I will post the detailed instruction here.
DJModer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:23 PM   #35
David
Avalon Senior Member

Welcome DJModer

Please jump in!

Free energy will be something we will all need. At one time I was thinking about experimenting with free energy myself but finding the time in this busy world gets difficult.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:45 PM   #36
gingernutmegva
Avalon Senior Member

Reston Virginia here. Hopefully moving to Ashburn/Sterling area within the next month.
gingernutmegva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:22 PM   #37
David
Avalon Senior Member

Welcome ginger

Hope your move goes!
Old 11-22-2008, 09:10 PM   #38
David
Avalon Senior Member

Bump!
Old 01-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #39
Nexus X Humectress
Avalon Senior Member

Default Established Community Seeks Additional People

Hi, I'm with a group calling itself Open Circle. Right now we spend most of our time in Culpeper, but we also have rural land in the Blue Ridge mountains, with deer and clean drinking water. If you're looking for people who are perfectly prepared materially for apocalyptic scenarios, that's not us, look elsewhere. But we do have some sustainable systems in operation on our land, we have plans for increasing our sustainability, and we're growing a large portion of our own food. Our top priority is nurturing trust and good interpersonal relations within our group, and with our neighbors and friends. If you believe as we do, that the qualities of being adaptable and working effectively as a team are key to survival during disasters, and are also desirable when there's no disaster, then I invite you to check out our entry in the online Communities Directory and contact us through the email link there:

http://directory.ic.org/21987/Open_Circle

(Our people are not believers in Project Camelot's far-out stuff, so please don't presume we buy into it. We think disasters are possible, but we are not certain any disaster is necessarily coming.)

Also, it might be of interest to check out some of the many other intentional communities listed on http://directory.ic.org/

Who has acreage with lumber and clean flowing water or spring water on it?

check

Who has an operating or potentially operating farm that is far from any major population center?

sort of

Who has construction and carpentry skill sets?

check

Who understands soil quality issues and crop timing and rotation?

check

Who has skills for large group meal preparation

check
Nexus X Humectress is offline   Reply With Quote