Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Malaros
Avalon Senior Member

Default How hard is it to actually mistake a lenticular cloud for a UFO?

Hi all,

Just a question brought on by this BBC report:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7682106.stm

Someone in the video says that lenticular clouds could be the cause of a lot of UFO sightings. Lenticular clouds can look like fying saucers. There are plenty here.

http://cloudappreciationsociety.org/...y=14&pagenum=1

However, I find it highly unlikely that anyone could think that a Lenticular cloud was a UFO unless they were looking at a photo for the following reasons:

I enjoy taking pictures of strange looking clouds, which is why I am a member of the cloud appreciation society (look at the lovely pictures here: http://cloudappreciationsociety.org/) and I have never seen a lenticular cloud. I am talking about the UK where I live, so they may be common elsewhere in the World, but it seems that the numbers of lenticular clouds seen are far less that the number of UFOs seen (I have never seen a UFO either, I suppose though)

Clouds tend to move slowly across the sky wheras UFOs either hang still or shoot of at extrordinary speed according to the reports I've read.

So there you go. You might think a photo of a lenticular cloud was a UFO since you couldn't see it move and you didn't have any idea of the scale (which you cannot do with clouds. Small clouds look the same as large clouds)

Please tell me if you agree or disagree with my points. I don't think you can mistake a lenticular cloud for a UFO and that it is a lame excuse for a cover up but please tell me if I'm wrong.
Malaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
Jnana
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: How hard is it to actually mistake a lenticular cloud for a UFO?

It's a lame excuse. Go to google images and do a search for "lenticular cloud". Most commonly they are associated with mountains and high wind conditions. The cloud itself can be relatively stationary even in the high winds - it has something to do with a standing pressure wave set up by the terrain (see wikipedia on Lenticular Cloud). So, it can be odd to see a cloud "hover" like that, but locals see them all the time and know what they are. Because lenticular cloud formation is dependent on terrain and wind conditions, using that as an excuse for a UFO sighting in an area where they don't normally occur is simply bogus.
Jnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
Malaros
Avalon Senior Member

Thank you, Jnana.

I now know why I never see them (I have lived at sea level all my life) and this means that you should never see them over most of the UK.

And since you only see them over mountain ranges, if you see a flying saucer anywhere else, it can't be a lenticular cloud.

Thanks for your help.
Malaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
wolfman
Avalon Senior Member

thanks for the links. The cloud formations are beautiful!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote