Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > What Does It Mean ?

Notices

What Does It Mean ? What does this all mean for the Ground Crew ?

Old 11-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Default Vatican looks to heavens for signs of alien life

By ARIEL DAVID, Associated Press Writer Ariel David, Associated Press Writer – 3 mins ago

VATICAN CITY – E.T. phone Rome. Four hundred years after it locked up Galileo for challenging the view that the Earth was the center of the universe, the Vatican has called in experts to study the possibility of extraterrestrial alien life and its implication for the Catholic Church.

"The questions of life's origins and of whether life exists elsewhere in the universe are very suitable and deserve serious consideration," said the Rev. Jose Gabriel Funes, an astronomer and director of the Vatican Observatory.

Funes, a Jesuit priest, presented the results Tuesday of a five-day conference that gathered astronomers, physicists, biologists and other experts to discuss the budding field of astrobiology — the study of the origin of life and its existence elsewhere in the cosmos.

Funes said the possibility of alien life raises "many philosophical and theological implications" but added that the gathering was mainly focused on the scientific perspective and how different disciplines can be used to explore the issue.

Chris Impey, an astronomy professor at the University of Arizona, said it was appropriate that the Vatican would host such a meeting.

"Both science and religion posit life as a special outcome of a vast and mostly inhospitable universe," he told a news conference Tuesday. "There is a rich middle ground for dialogue between the practitioners of astrobiology and those who seek to understand the meaning of our existence in a biological universe."

Thirty scientists, including non-Catholics, from the U.S., France, Britain, Switzerland, Italy and Chile attended the conference, called to explore among other issues "whether sentient life forms exist on other worlds."

Funes set the stage for the conference a year ago when he discussed the possibility of alien life in an interview given prominence in the Vatican's daily newspaper.

The Church of Rome's views have shifted radically through the centuries since Italian philosopher Giordano Bruno was burned at the stake as a heretic in 1600 for speculating, among other ideas, that other worlds could be inhabited.

Scientists have discovered hundreds of planets outside our solar system — including 32 new ones announced recently by the European Space Agency. Impey said the discovery of alien life may be only a few years away.

"If biology is not unique to the Earth, or life elsewhere differs bio-chemically from our version, or we ever make contact with an intelligent species in the vastness of space, the implications for our self-image will be profound," he said.

This is not the first time the Vatican has explored the issue of extraterrestrials: In 2005, its observatory brought together top researchers in the field for similar discussions.

In the interview last year, Funes told Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano that believing the universe may host aliens, even intelligent ones, does not contradict a faith in God.

"How can we rule out that life may have developed elsewhere?" Funes said in that interview.

"Just as there is a multitude of creatures on Earth, there could be other beings, even intelligent ones, created by God. This does not contradict our faith, because we cannot put limits on God's creative freedom."

Funes maintained that if intelligent beings were discovered, they would also be considered "part of creation."

For the rest of the article...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091110/...vatican_aliens
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
mntruthseeker
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Vatican looks to heavens for signs of alien life

What a crock...............I understand what The Watcher had to say today and I'm sure the Vatican thinks the people on this planet will buy the ideas that they are trying to push through
mntruthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
Truthseeker360
Avalon Senior Member

Disclosure can't be far away........

love light oneness
ts360
Truthseeker360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
orthodoxymoron
Avalon Senior Member

Perhaps they should look in their basement...or should I say in their deep underground basement?
orthodoxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntruthseeker View Post
What a crock...............I understand what The Watcher had to say today and I'm sure the Vatican thinks the people on this planet will buy the ideas that they are trying to push through

The biggest "crock" of all is that they have enough money to end world hunger! Period!!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantheman62 View Post
The biggest "crock" of all is that they have enough money to end world hunger! Period!!
Amen!
BROOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:40 PM   #7
Gareth
Project Avalon Administrator

Sounds desperate!

They have know for centuries what has been going on; they realise that disclosure is not far away and will reveal what they have kept secret all this time.

Then, when the extraterrestrial truth does come out, they will say, "Hey, well we were just looking at the possibility of alien life and what do you know - here it is!"

I wouldn't believe anything they say.

G

Last edited by Gareth; 11-10-2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Grammar
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
orthodoxymoron
Avalon Senior Member

I agree Gareth. It seems to be important for them to establish that aliens are arriving from outer-space...and that they are just finding out about them...rather than that they have been running the show from deep underground bases for thousands of years...with the full knowledge of the top political and religious leaders. But the 'aliens' may mostly be human extraterrestrials who use the reptilians (native and extraterrestrial) to do their bidding. Sirius may be at the center of all of this. I'm getting the impression that there are Pandora's Boxes everywhere...and that they are interconnected! Opening one box...opens all of them!! The horror!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRrDI...B36A4&index=24

Last edited by orthodoxymoron; 11-10-2009 at 11:07 PM.
orthodoxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:50 PM   #9
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
Sounds desperate!

They have know for centuries what has been going on; they realise that disclosure is not far away and will reveal what they have kept secret all this time.

Then, when the extraterrestrial truth does come out, they will say, "He, well we were just looking at the possibility of alien life and what do you know - here it is!"

I wouldn't believe anything they say.

G

Good point! Desperate!

and no, I don't believe anything they say!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #10
mntruthseeker
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
that is an understatement !

and now they want to sugar coat it all . It will not work

The basement would be a very good place to start...........
Old 11-10-2009, 11:24 PM   #11
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Hi Dantheman62,

Ariel David is not a very good bloodhound journalist. This story became in the forefront at the beggining of this year after Fagundes wrote in L'Osservatore Romano (last year), the Vatican newspaper, "The Extraterrestrial Is My Brother", where he says that it's not wrong to beleive in extra terrestrial life.

In fact the more or less the whole article I posted as a thread starter (blowing my own trumpet here a little) at the following thread back in March:

http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/s...017#post118017

I should apply for a position at the AP!

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
By ARIEL DAVID, Associated Press Writer Ariel David, Associated Press Writer – 3 mins ago

VATICAN CITY – E.T. phone Rome. Four hundred years after it locked up Galileo for challenging the view that the Earth was the center of the universe, the Vatican has called in experts to study the possibility of extraterrestrial alien life and its implication for the Catholic Church.

"The questions of life's origins and of whether life exists elsewhere in the universe are very suitable and deserve serious consideration," said the Rev. Jose Gabriel Funes, an astronomer and director of the Vatican Observatory.

Funes, a Jesuit priest, presented the results Tuesday of a five-day conference that gathered astronomers, physicists, biologists and other experts to discuss the budding field of astrobiology — the study of the origin of life and its existence elsewhere in the cosmos.

Funes said the possibility of alien life raises "many philosophical and theological implications" but added that the gathering was mainly focused on the scientific perspective and how different disciplines can be used to explore the issue.

Chris Impey, an astronomy professor at the University of Arizona, said it was appropriate that the Vatican would host such a meeting.

"Both science and religion posit life as a special outcome of a vast and mostly inhospitable universe," he told a news conference Tuesday. "There is a rich middle ground for dialogue between the practitioners of astrobiology and those who seek to understand the meaning of our existence in a biological universe."

Thirty scientists, including non-Catholics, from the U.S., France, Britain, Switzerland, Italy and Chile attended the conference, called to explore among other issues "whether sentient life forms exist on other worlds."

Funes set the stage for the conference a year ago when he discussed the possibility of alien life in an interview given prominence in the Vatican's daily newspaper.

The Church of Rome's views have shifted radically through the centuries since Italian philosopher Giordano Bruno was burned at the stake as a heretic in 1600 for speculating, among other ideas, that other worlds could be inhabited.

Scientists have discovered hundreds of planets outside our solar system — including 32 new ones announced recently by the European Space Agency. Impey said the discovery of alien life may be only a few years away.

"If biology is not unique to the Earth, or life elsewhere differs bio-chemically from our version, or we ever make contact with an intelligent species in the vastness of space, the implications for our self-image will be profound," he said.

This is not the first time the Vatican has explored the issue of extraterrestrials: In 2005, its observatory brought together top researchers in the field for similar discussions.

In the interview last year, Funes told Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano that believing the universe may host aliens, even intelligent ones, does not contradict a faith in God.

"How can we rule out that life may have developed elsewhere?" Funes said in that interview.

"Just as there is a multitude of creatures on Earth, there could be other beings, even intelligent ones, created by God. This does not contradict our faith, because we cannot put limits on God's creative freedom."

Funes maintained that if intelligent beings were discovered, they would also be considered "part of creation."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091110/...vatican_aliens
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:41 PM   #12
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

[QUOTE=Steve_A;186838]Hi Dantheman62,

Ariel David is not a very good bloodhound journalist. This story became in the forefront at the beggining of this year after Fagundes wrote in L'Osservatore Romano (last year), the Vatican newspaper, "The Extraterrestrial Is My Brother", where he says that it's not wrong to beleive in extra terrestrial life.

In fact the more or less the whole article I posted as a thread starter (blowing my own trumpet here a little) at the following thread back in March:

http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/s...017#post118017

I should apply for a position at the AP!

Best regards,

oops, I must've skipped school that day! LOL, I didn't see it.

Here's another article from another source....

By Marc Kaufman
Sunday, November 8, 2009

ROME -- A little more than a half-mile from the Vatican, in a square called Campo de' Fiori, stands a large statue of a brooding monk. Few of the shoppers and tourists wandering through the fruit-and-vegetable market below may know his story; he is Giordano Bruno, a Renaissance philosopher, writer and free-thinker who was burned at the stake by the Inquisition in 1600. Among his many heresies was his belief in a "plurality of worlds" -- in extraterrestrial life, in aliens.

Though it's a bit late for Bruno, he might take satisfaction in knowing that this week the Vatican's Pontifical Academy of Sciences is holding its first major conference on astrobiology, the new science that seeks to find life elsewhere in the cosmos and to understand how it began on Earth. Convened on private Vatican grounds in the elegant Casina Pio IV, formerly the pope's villa, the unlikely gathering of prominent scientists and religious leaders shows that some of the most tradition-bound faiths are seriously contemplating the possibility that life exists in myriad forms beyond this planet. Astrobiology has arrived, and religious and social institutions -- even the Vatican -- are taking note.

Father Jose Funes, a Jesuit astronomer, director of the centuries-old Vatican Observatory and a driving force behind the conference, suggested in an interview last year that the possibility of "brother extraterrestrials" poses no problem for Catholic theology. "As a multiplicity of creatures exists on Earth, so there could be other beings, also intelligent, created by God," Funes explained. "This does not conflict with our faith because we cannot put limits on the creative freedom of God."

Yet, as Bruno might attest, the notion of life beyond Earth does not easily coexist with the "truths" that many people hold dear. Just as the Copernican revolution forced us to understand that Earth is not the center of the universe, the logic of astrobiologists points in a similarly unsettling direction: to the likelihood that we are not alone, and perhaps that we are not even the most advanced creatures in the universe. This may not "conflict with our faith," but it may conflict with the stories we tell about who and what we are.

The Vatican's five-day conference is chaired by the religious leader of the highly regarded Academy, Bishop Marcelo Sanchez Sorondo. Scientists (many of them nonbelievers) are offering presentations on subjects as varied as how life might have begun on Earth; what newly found "extremophile" microbes living in harsh places on our planet might tell us about possible life on others; and how life forms might be detected in our solar system, or how their bio-signatures might be found on and around the many distant exoplanets.
Having overcome the giggle factor of most things extraterrestrial, astrobiologists are telling a scientific story to an audience that may someday use it to defend -- or enhance -- its faith.

The Catholic Church isn't the only institution preparing itself for what could be a world-changing event. For instance, NASA's National Astrobiology Institute, established in 1998, sponsored a meeting of scientists, ethicists, religious leaders and philosophers in February to brainstorm about the societal implications of astrobiology, and it is preparing a semiofficial "road map" of sensitive issues we'd need to address should the presence of life elsewhere be established.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...d=opinionsbox1
Old 11-10-2009, 11:45 PM   #13
mntruthseeker
Avalon Senior Member

I did read that article earlier myself. They just want to put in a few more of these to "prep" the world for the big announcement that preceeded theirs.................LOL

They just want their story to come out is all
Old 11-12-2009, 03:22 AM   #14
Northern Boy
Avalon Senior Member

Some thing will be coming very soon i feel within the next year all signs are pointing to it. the movies coming out District 9 , Avatar, V the tv show the Vatican mentioning our star friends and one other piece of information that I read on another forum which may or may not bear fruit . so it looks as though there is a push to get the public into a position where they may be looking for aliens or to lessen the trauma of discovering them on the sleeping mass`s
Northern Boy is offline   Reply With Quote