Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:05 AM   #1
DoctorWho
Avalon Senior Member

Thumbs up Project Avalon Forum to be FREE again!

Apologies to the admins if they wanted to get this out themselves, but since I visited Project Camelot first then came here, there is no mention of this yet. So on the Camelot homepage, this posting was added.
Quote:
5 December 2009

• Avalon Forum to revert to FREE:

We are having our Avalon Web Admin convert the Avalon Forum to a free forum. The following message will be posted on the forum shortly:

Hi to all,

First of all, we want to sincerely thank all those who have purchased subscriptions to our Avalon Forum. After one year of operation as a subscription forum, we have decided that the contributions to our work generated out of this subscription format are not substantial enough to warrant continuing with the subscription-based model. Therefore, whereas, the money from subscriptions has helped to make our work possible and for that we thank everyone very much, we have found that donations (and other means tbd) are a better way to raise money in order to continue our work. Therefore, henceforth, this AVALON FORUM is now FREE for all those who wish to participate.

Note: We are in the process of expanding Project Camelot and hope to create more revenue streams going forward. Any assistance or advice in this area would be welcome. Feel free to send email with suggestions.

Thank you all for your patience and dedication to our work and this mission.

Love and light,

Kerry and Bill
So spread the word to those who left over the past year over the subscription issue and ask them to come back.
Bill "the Doctor"
DoctorWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
SWIFT
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Project Avalon Forum to be FREE again!

Hope this means the rest of us get to post new topics?
Peace
SWIFTY
SWIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
Luminari
Avalon Senior Member

Thumbs up Re: Project Avalon Forum to be FREE again!

Great move, although no doubt there will be more conflicting opinions the positive benefits of a massive influx of users should far outweigh any downside.

Happy days!

Brace yourselves though Moderators, I imagine if it gets anything like it used to be before the subscription you will have your work cut out for you. Best of luck and regards.
Luminari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

I just hope it won't create a mess. i still remember how it was before subscription....a lot of "individuals" liked hanging around trying to lower the vibrations of the site....
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #5
Spregovori

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgundia View Post
I just hope it won't create a mess. i still remember how it was before subscription....a lot of "individuals" liked hanging around trying to lower the vibrations of the site....
Lower vibration? How? Can you give a few examples?

----

The 5 or 10 dollar subscription is...small. Converted to EUR is even smaller. 5$ is like going to a store to buy 230grams of bread and 0,5l yogurt.

And also it is a nice filter. I might be wrong but if I understand correctly they wish to get more people on the forum hoping there will be more donations? That might not be true, since people can already see and read the forum without paying for it.

If not. What is the reason?

Large number of people is a larger variety of thoughts but that is not always a good thing.

I myself would be much happier to have Bill and Kerry contributing on this forum or to have someone representing them on this forum (moderators are not that) and -if possibly- to have the people they interview on this forum. Would subscription than cost more? Ok...I am willing to pay a reasonable monthly fee to see quality discussions, fact backed arguments, inside information... and I think it would be a good idea - bringing all the people in one place.

EDIT:

They are also asking on how to increase the revenue. This might sound "idiotic" but how about - try not to?

Money has more sh** attached to it than anything else on this planet. My idea is to find people that would volunteer their time, knowledge and skills. Yes it is a Utopia-idea but why not try and start it? It has been put off far too long and the what is called "basic laws" are supporting this idea - attraction, intent, allowance, balance. Or am I wrong?

Last edited by Spregovori; 12-06-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWIFT View Post
Hope this means the rest of us get to post new topics?
Peace
SWIFTY
Swift, you've always been able to post new topics.
You go here:
http://www.projectavalon.net/forum
click on Avalon or Camelot
and click a sub forum
and the button to start a new thread will appear on the left.

or you can work your way up.
Look at the top of this page for this string
Project Avalon Forum » Project Avalon Forum » Project Avalon » Project Avalon General Discussion » Project Avalon Forum to be FREE again! » Reply to Thread
and click Project Avalon General Discussion
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminari View Post
Brace yourselves though Moderators, I imagine if it gets anything like it used to be before the subscription you will have your work cut out for you. Best of luck and regards.
We heard about this idea so long ago I thought they had changed their minds. Brace ourselves is right.

This is an official call for about 6 more moderators.
Description of what moderators do:
http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=17127
Old 12-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
14 Chakras
Avalon Senior Member

hmm, certainly will be a change huh?

won't be possible to keep up with everything that's going on anymore... but that's alright... change is good... go with the flow... the River of Life
14 Chakras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #9
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgundia View Post
Oh yes, how well I remember - I never had to deal with it as a moderator - I came on board just before we went subscription and then things really calmed down.

Just remember if people come on being rude and slinging cr@p - ignore them. It will ruin all their fun.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
Luminari
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spregovori View Post
Lower vibration? How? Can you give a few examples?
Stick around, you'll see..

Just wait till you get hit with; "Don't you know Jesus died for you" every 5 minutes.

Or people who will viciously and mercilessly attack anyone who doesn't agree 100% with their tunnel vision view on UFOs, life, love & the nature of personal reality...

Fun.

I'm going to have to start taking valium I can tell

Seriously I will do everything in my power to remain calm, loving and peaceful.

Its really the only way Spregovori, you can't win any other way. If you put up a fight everyone loses.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #11
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Spregovori,

What's the reason? Well I'm not sure. Behind the scenes, the payment system was a lot of hassle. This will cut one workload for me by a ton but then probably add 10 tons of other work. We will definitely need more moderators.

Project Light Warrior is one reason, I think. Those volunteers working on that project are now using the forum as a base for communication.

I don't think its about getting more people on the forum to get more donations.

I don't see Kerry and Bill coming back to the forum to contribute. I've tried to pull them back in about 4 times over the last year. Written communication takes a lot of time. There is talk of getting something like conference calls going that Kerry and Bill would participate in. I don't know if that would be free or fee-based.

The people they interview were part of the forum in the beginning, but those people all left. Very rude remarks and criticisms were directed at them - so why would they stick around to take the abuse?

There are old threads full of ideas of how to raise funds. I still like my idea of running a monthly donation drive on the forum - sort of like National Public Radio does.

Karen
Old 12-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
Jenny
Project Avalon Member

As a former moderator, having to deal with the chaos before subscription and debating the plan to go subscription I wish all moderators , new and old, good luck and lots of patience.

What I see for the future is some sort of GLP.

Have fun.

Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #13
morguana
Project Avalon Moderator

woooohoooooo i think its good news ,
lots of love to all avalonians past, now and in the future
bou x

the way is not in the sky, the way is in the heart

forum guidlines

Avalon Chat
morguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:26 AM   #14
Spregovori

Karen, by what you just wrote, I fail to see the benefit of going to free forum.

The only different thing can be the less work regarding subscriptions....but you also mentioned more work to come in case of a "people avalanche"

Time will tell...like always.

Last edited by Spregovori; 12-06-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #15
rhythm
Avalon Senior Member

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

bring it on... new members

and o! how i hope

some of my dear old

freinds will now return ....

yyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeee
hhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

great thanks i give here for this news

happy bunny rhythmmm xxxx
rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #16
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spregovori View Post
Karen, by what you just wrote, I fail to see the benefit of going to free forum. The only different thing can be the less work regarding subscriptions....but you also mentioned more work to come in case of a "people avalanche" Time will tell...like always.
Project Avalon really did have a "people avalanche" in the beginning. (love that term you coined). I call what's coming the FreeForAll. I don't think the curve will be as steep as in the beginning. I can think of a few more reasons - one is it will stop all the people complaining about this being a paid forum. It will allow people who want to whistleblow to just come on and do it without having to ask for a freebie. I think it will increase good information as much or more than to offset the trouble stirrers.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #17
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

I've seen some of our members be very effective at stopping potential flame wars. I will commend Dantheman62 for using a humorous one or two liner to defuse explosive threads. People don't have to be moderators to help out with the peace keeping.

Ways to avoid conflict is to use "I feel", "I think", "IMHO" rather than stating your opinions/beliefs as the one and only truth.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #18
Luminari
Avalon Senior Member

Red face Re: Project Avalon Forum to be FREE again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post

I don't see Kerry and Bill coming back to the forum to contribute. I've tried to pull them back in about 4 times over the last year.
I've noticed Kerry logged in a couple of times over the last few days.

Maybe its just for the Light Warrior thing. I miss Bill's input in discussions here too... It was just some rude people on the Australian Ark thread Bill. Its safe to come back now. Give the forum some direction, anything would be appreciated.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #19
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminari View Post
I miss Bill's input in discussions here too... It was just some rude people on the Australian Ark thread Bill. Its safe to come back now. Give the forum some direction, anything would be appreciated.
Bill gave a response one time - I'm paraphrasing- that Camelot took off like neither one of them could have imagined and it keeps them running 24/7 trying to keep up. Bill is like me - he likes to make his writing perfect and that takes some time. Talking to us would take a fraction of the time - I'll see what I can to do get the conference calls (or something like that) going. Kerry and I have recently exchanged a couple of short emails about that.

Last edited by Karen; 12-06-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #20
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

I expect Gareth will have the change made in a day or two.
I hope not longer than that.
And old members can use the same user name and password!

If anyone wants a name change, an admin, Gareth or Anchor, can do that for you. It is not something you can do yourself.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #21
SWIFT
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Karen,
Big LOL and yes it works.

Peace
SWIFTY
Old 12-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #22
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Great news we lost some good people and gained a few asreholes when it went to subs.
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #23
SWIFT
Avalon Senior Member

Yes ,
It depends on your point of veiw!

Cheers
SWIFTY
Old 12-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #24
hobbit
Unsubscribed

What a boost to read this , brilliant.
Anybody thought about opening an E bay account in Camelots name?
Anyone with anything they no longer require could sell them on E bay and the proceeds go to Camelot?
The truth and nothing but the truth marching on.
Ignore any religious content in this, just glory glory hallelujah.
I hated the subscription payments, it was a private club similer to the masons.
hobbit
hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #25
Swanny
I dont need a label !

I wonder when they will start advertising on the forum??
That's the best way to make money.
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote