Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Health / Alternative Medicine

Notices

Old 09-25-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
2infinityandbeyond
Avalon Senior Member

Default Cure for depression.

My posts have been mainly crap lately lol

Time to give something back and share some knowledge ;

Natural Cures for Depression

by Karl Perera

In this article I will cover the following:

* why should you try a natural cure?
* what natural cures are available?
* do they work?

Are you depressed?

Natural cures are sometimes just as effective as medication (anti-depressants). If you have tried counseling, have gone to a doctor and tried some form of medication you may still after, all that, get depressed because these conventional treatments are often not successful long term.

Medication in most cases is short-term and you may suffer side effects especially coming off them. Counseling aims to get at the reasons why you feel depressed psychologically or how you deal with stress and diffculties in your life. Medication may be a choice but counseling seems like a no-brainer to me. Ever thought about online counseling - a cheaper and very practical option to consider.

Which Natural Cures for Depression are most Popular and do they work?

Food:

low-fat dairy products, bananas, turkey and soy foods help boost serotonin in your brain which improves your mood.

Omega-3 oils - (see also below under supplements) - tuna, fish, purslane, salmon, nut oils.

If you lack omega-3 fats in your diet you may suffer from tiredness (fatigue), poor memory, dry skin, heart problems, mood swings, depression, and poor circulation. Various studies have found a link between Omega-3 oils and bipolar disorder and depression.
Depression can result from the body taking in too many refined carbohydrates. Too many man-made unnatural foods is not healthy and sugar is so addictive!

Sugar can help cause mental illness, because it causes insulin resistance, unstable blood sugar levels and raised stress hormones.

One solution to depression is better nutrition, less drugs or psychotherapy, but acceptance of this idea needs a change of thinking.

Article taken from here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Major Depression and Omega 3 Fatty Acids
Scott Olson, ND

Omega-3 Fatty Acids (oils), which include eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), are found primarily in fish (such as mackerel, lake trout, herring, sardines, albacore tuna, and salmon) and some plants. While they are necessary for the proper functioning of our bodies, the levels necessary for health benefits are more than can readily be achieved through diet alone. These oils are used as supplemental treatments for an array of conditions including heart disease, diabetes, and arthritis. They also play a role in brain development and function.

There is strong evidence from epidemiological (population) studies that cultures which eat large amounts of fish containing these oils have a low incidence of depression. These population studies have been followed up with randomized double-blind experiments (highly controlled studies that use an active and non-active medicine; neither patients nor experimenters are aware of who receive the active medicines and who do not). While many of these later highly-controlled studies suggested a relationship between treatment with Omega-3 oils and lessening of depressive symptoms, other studies have produced contradictory results. In other words, not all studies suggest positive treatment effects. Some study subjects showed a 50% reduction in scores (lower scores indicate less depression) on the Hamilton Depression Rating Scale, while other subjects receiving fish oils were no different than people who received a placebo (a preparation which contains no active ingredients).

advertisement

Because EPA and DHA play many essential roles in the body and brain, CAM practitioners and the American Heart Association suggest that most people should supplement their diets with these oils. Overall, the evidence suggests that EPA/DHA is also a good supplement for people with depression. However, additional studies are needed to fully understand what role these oils play in treating mood disorders.

Safety and Dosing

Normal dosing for the omega-3 fatty acids is between 1-4 grams a day. Results have been achieved with as little as 1 gram of a good-quality supplement. Most fish-oil supplements contain about 18% EPA/DHA, so to get a gram of the EPA/DHA one should take approximately five 1-gram supplements.

Fish oils have been shown to both lower cardiovascular (heart) disease risk and raise cholesterol in some people. Likewise, EPA and DHA lowers blood sugar in diabetics while raising it in other people. If you are taking medications for diabetes, your dosing may require adjustment. If you are considering taking more than 1 gram of EPA/DHA a day, and are on medications for diabetes or cardiovascular disease, you should consult with your health professional. Side effects of Omega-3 Oils include stomach upset, nosebleeds, and loose stools. Most side effects from taking fish oils are mild. Fish oils may act as an anticoagulant (e.g., as a blood thinner), so consult with your health provider if you are taking any other blood-thinning medications. It can be dangerous when blood becomes too thin.

Link can be found here

Needed to be said. I know too many people suffering from depression and 'bi-polar (bs)' So i wanted everyone to be aware of the contributing agent to this.

Have fun. just remember too kill the ****er before you eat it
2infinityandbeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
Swamisalami
Banned

Default Re: Cure for depression.

Make some tea with this plant, helped me.

Hypericum perforatum
Swamisalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
2infinityandbeyond
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamisalami View Post
Make some tea with this plant, helped me.

Hypericum perforatum
watever floats your boat!

I just know for a fact that the cause of most depression is a defficiancy in omega 3 fatty acids.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:05 AM   #4
Banned

5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) pulled me out of a depression I had for the better part of my life. It basically stimulates seretonin production... if you take too much (over time), I found that I would actually get kinda manic. Now I only take 150 mg a week to keep my seretonin levels in check, down from Mg a day when I began taking it (50-Mg/day is the recommended dose I think).

I actually came across it in college when I was planning on taking MDMA one weekend and looked up what I could do to minimize any harmful effects it would have on me. One suggestion (among many, many others) was to start taking 5-HTP after the comedown to jump-start your brain to start replenishing the massive amount of seretonin that was depleted the night/morning before. I avoided burning myself out like others around me, and continued taking it (the 5-HTP that is, not the MDMA), and as a result I'm now... well, stable.
371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:45 AM   #5
Muadib
Avalon Senior Member

Wink Re: Cure for depression.

Meditation
Muadib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:53 AM   #6
Gnosis5
Avalon Senior Member

B vitamins are helpful for me when I consume sugar or alcohol. But get the good B vitamins, not the smelly ones.
Gnosis5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:21 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnosis5 View Post
But get the good B vitamins, not the smelly ones.
What?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:54 AM   #8
Nik
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
Meditation
I was hoping someone would offer this as a suggestion. I firmly believe that the mind and body - when led with strong intent and focus - can really overcome any dis-ease/instability/illness.

Meditation is not about sitting cross-legged, eyes closed, not thinking, and possibly chanting a mantra. That is a washed-down and rather banal view.
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:54 AM   #9
ChooseYourLifeNow
Avalon Senior Member

Depression can result from many deficiencies of some sort. If I were depressed I would absolutely make sure to take:

- Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc Combo pill - Calcium literally "calms" your nerves. It will reduce/prevent PMS symptoms like mood swings, and cramps. It also makes your bones and teeth strong. When you don't get enough you begin to get cranky. Caffeine prevents the absorption of Calcium, and most people are drinking at least a cup or two of coffee/tea a day. No wonder we're so stressed. Magnesium and Zinc do a lot of great things that help Calcium work, you might as well take them with your Calcium.

- Vitamin D - If you're taking Calcium you have to absorb it, which is exactly what Vitamin D does. Back before we all lived in houses in this modern society we spent most of our time outside, so the most abundant vitamin we would get was Vitamin D because our skin creates it when reacting to the sun. Most of us spend all day long inside and don't get nearly enough.

- B-Complex - If you've ever taken a B-Complex you should about two things: 1. If you take it on an empty stomach you will get sick! Eat something! 2. It makes your pee neon yellow. B-Complex is magnificent though! B-Complex is responsible for all of your digestive track, among other things. Depression is the 1st symptom of a B-Complex deficiency. You'll also know if you're deficient if you have blisters in mouth and cuts on the sides of your lips, develop hemorrhoids or anal fissures. Ouch! If you take a B-Complex before a night of drinking you won't have a hangover. B-Complex is a mix of all the B Vitamins out there, and you need them all. Find a B that has an even percentage of all the B's. They should be balanced.

- Vitamin C - Yay! Probably one of the best things you can put in your body! Heals you from within! V-C improves the effectiveness of your immune system, kills free-radicals (which is what ages you), prevents illness, and just makes you feel healthy. Key characteristic of a vitamin C pill, is that it's sour! They make really good chewable candies out of V-C if you don't like taking pills.

Of course it would be optimal to have ALL the vitamins, but if I were depressed I would boost up on these. It's important to supplement your diets these days because food is not as it used to be. It is severely lacking. I've also heard that the cure to the Avian flu is a heavy dose of Vitamin C.

Don't let CODEX take them away. Stock up on them for your survival!

Love you All,

CYLNow
ChooseYourLifeNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:24 AM   #10
Lance
Avalon Senior Member

Hemp seeds, hemp oil and hemp milk

SNIP

"Hemp Seed Oil
The oil contained in the hemp seed is 75-80% polyunsaturated fatty acids (the good fats) and only 9-11% of the lesser desired saturated fatty acids. Hemp seed oil is reputed to be the most unsaturated oil derived from the plant kingdom. The essential fatty acids (EFAs) contained in hemp seed oil are required in our diet more than any other vitamin, yet our bodies do not naturally produce them. They must be obtained from external sources in the food we eat. EFAs are involved with producing life's energy throughout the human body and without them, life is not possible. In general, North Americans have a high dietary deficiency in EFAs due to out high intake of animal fats versus plant fats, caused by our high consumption of processed foods and meats versus natural organic foods. "

http://www.perfectfood.ca/hempseednutrition.html

http://www.manitobaharvest.com/nutrition/

http://projectavalon.net/forum/showt...ighlight=Lance

The last link provides the dosage levels prescribed by a wit of a man whom I dearly call my 'friend'.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:13 AM   #11
2infinityandbeyond
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 371 View Post
5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) pulled me out of a depression I had for the better part of my life. It basically stimulates seretonin production... if you take too much (over time), I found that I would actually get kinda manic. Now I only take 150 mg a week to keep my seretonin levels in check, down from Mg a day when I began taking it (50-Mg/day is the recommended dose I think).

I actually came across it in college when I was planning on taking MDMA one weekend and looked up what I could do to minimize any harmful effects it would have on me. One suggestion (among many, many others) was to start taking 5-HTP after the comedown to jump-start your brain to start replenishing the massive amount of seretonin that was depleted the night/morning before. I avoided burning myself out like others around me, and continued taking it (the 5-HTP that is, not the MDMA), and as a result I'm now... well, stable.

Thank you for that.

Altough i know that many people who havent taken extacy suffer from depression, im aware that 75% of this is caused be an Omega3 Defficiancy.

I on the other hand suffer from depression that can be fixed by no amount of fish oil because when i was younger i went overboard on xtc. Every weekend for about two years.

I'm gonna check that stuff out and see if it helps some.

Thanks again.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #12
Sunangel
Avalon Senior Member

Great discussion going on here. It's good to get so many different points of view and different experiences here.
As a nutritionist I would absolutely reccommend omega 3 supplements. As a vegan I hate to admit it, but krill or fish oils are the best sources of omega 3s because they are long chain fats. Vegetable sources such as hemp and flax oils must be converted by your body to long chain and this process is frequently faulty in modern humans. A vegan source of long chain omega 3s is marine phytoplankton. This is also a great source of minerals and more but can be expensive. Finances allowing, the best thing to do would be to take krill oil AND marine phytoplankton plus include hemp and flax in your diet. The less deficient you are in long chain omega 3s, the better your conversion rate will be from vegetable sources. (some phytoplankton products on the market contain very little actual phytoplankton - a good brand is Ocean's Alive Marine Phytoplankton - I am not financially affiliated with this company in any way).

Other great mood food is cacao (raw chocolate). Google search for info and suppliers.

Vitamin D from sun exposure is essential. Please don't use toxic sunscreens, just be sensible in the sun and build up your exposure times to morning and evening sun slowly so you never burn.

Exercise really helps too. If you excercise outdoors you can get some sunlight vitamin D at the same time.

Lightboxes for SAD.

5-htp is also great but don't take in combination with antidepressants for safety reasons.

Stack the odds in your favour by doing all of the above

Peace
Sunangel
Sunangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #13
rustanddust
Avalon Senior Member

simple things like 1) exercising daily, 2) having a pet. 3) having close relationships with friends and family etc also help apparently.

hmm....
rustanddust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #14
uboslav
Avalon Senior Member

I believe that depression is a very low vibrational frequency and to fix this all one has to do is raise their vibration. This can be done through meditation as mentioned above, as well as many other vibrational raising exercises.

Honestly for me, what changed my life is the fact that I read "Ask and it is Given" by Esther and Jerry Hicks. It gives 22 processes at the end of the book that allow you to raise your vibration.

Here is the list of emotions by abraham hicks and where they stand on the list. They suggest to shoot for an emotion a few notches above the one your experiencing. What blew me away is that they said anger is a higher vibration than depression! http://www.contemplatethis.com/the-a...motional-scale
uboslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:58 PM   #15
Banned

Last edited by 371; 12-17-2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #16
doodah
Avalon Senior Member

Cure for depression: Fiercely love at least one thing in your life and spend time loving it on a daily basis and thinking about it when you're not actively involved with it. (This includes the pets suggestion, or plants, or a rock ... anything!) This changes brain chemistry!
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #17
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Best fix is get back to nature!, go out in the woods, camp overnight, build a big bonfire and relax, or do it with close positive friends and talk while staring into the fire. If you're in good health already than just relax and watch the fire.
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:51 PM   #18
Lotus
Avalon Senior Member

SAMe - lots of studies
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #19
2infinityandbeyond
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
Cure for depression: Fiercely love at least one thing in your life and spend time loving it on a daily basis and thinking about it when you're not actively involved with it. (This includes the pets suggestion, or plants, or a rock ... anything!) This changes brain chemistry!

A Rock!
Old 09-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #20
ForsakenFalcon
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2infinityandbeyond View Post
watever floats your boat!

I just know for a fact that the cause of most depression is a defficiancy in omega 3 fatty acids.
lol come on man now You know alittle of about Me on a personal level as in My pass & I can safely say alot of People whom are clinicly "Depressed" often hard horrible hard life's & at some point it just feel's it's easyer to continue to being depressed then being overly optermistic then fall like a rock in the sea when it doesn't come to pass.

I respect You'r research and all I just can't buy it as some one whom has depression and know ALOT of othere People with it too & from the vieraritys and differences in life styles and diet it just seem's alittle silly that I have depression cause I'm not eating enough fish while I know People whom eat sea food near every second day and still have depression.

The only REAL cure for this is World and Individial change, The World changer's seem to overwhelming and the Individial changer's seem to be insignicant on a larger scale of thing's but day to day life is still hard for many many people out there so how does one stop to think and act upon world changer's when personal problem's keep ariseing? & I do relise WE ALL HAVE OUR ONW PROBLEMS but that quote isn't enough to justifie saying "blah blah blah u are not depress I (or some i i know) have been throw the same things u have blah blah blah and there happy"

If that were the case life's problems realy would be lumped into only 2 catogories like in donnie darko movie

Fear <------------------------------------------------>Love

And as We all should know life isn't that simple.
ForsakenFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:01 PM   #21
2infinityandbeyond
Avalon Senior Member

Hey forsaken.

Thanks for your reply, I understand completely that not all depression is so cut and dry thats why i said that about 75% of depression is caused by dietary deficiancys (i know that sounds pretty simple but there is research to back this up)

But im in no way saying that this would be the cause for your depression. I know youve had a rough life and i think id be safe to assume that it would make you the exception in the 25%
Old 09-27-2008, 08:08 PM   #22
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post

Fiercely loving a rock....
that'll chafe.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:54 PM   #23
ForsakenFalcon
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2infinityandbeyond View Post
Hey forsaken.

Thanks for your reply, I understand completely that not all depression is so cut and dry thats why i said that about 75% of depression is caused by dietary deficiancys (i know that sounds pretty simple but there is research to back this up)

But im in no way saying that this would be the cause for your depression. I know youve had a rough life and i think id be safe to assume that it would make you the exception in the 25%

It just seem's way to big of a % to say 75% vs the 25%. If You said the reversed 25% are dietietie deficiantcie and 75% othere reason's.

Thing is 75% of the time if You have depression odd's are You have high "Anxiety" level's too.
ForsakenFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:11 AM   #24
eurosceptic
Avalon Senior Member

music, meditations, healing, nature, exercise and having something that you love doing that takes you away making something, being creative
and also dietary tweaks and various herbal teas.
eurosceptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:33 AM   #25
Carol
Project Avalon Hero

Depression can be caused by a number of things.

Genetic: it tends to run in families

Chemical imbalance: can be caused by stress, lack of vitamins and minerals or genetically predisposed

Situational: life presents one with situations which are emotionally challenging (bad job, loss of jpb, health problems, family member ill, move, family death.

Post Traumatic Stress (PTS): this can occur latter after some type of physical or emotional trauma (accident, witnessing abuse in one form or another or being a victim of abuse, abduction, etc.)

In a recent scientific research article it stated that 90 percent of depression can be cured by going for a 40 minute daily walk (sunlight helps to dispel depression as well). It is also helpful to read inspirational books, hang out in nature and/or near water, listen to uplifting music, dance, watch funny movies... something that makes you laugh or do something which is creative... paint, sing, plant a garden.

When the pineal gland is stimulated either by sunlight or neuro-biofeedback flashing glasses, magnetic pulses or meditation, this also lends to dispelling depression.

Last edited by Carol; 09-28-2008 at 02:38 AM.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote