Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Economy and Currency

Notices

Old 02-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
Shadowstalker
Avalon Senior Member

Default No Raise for S.S.I. this year

I got a letter at the end of December stating the my son will not be getting his annual raise this year for his S.S.I. checks. They are claiming that the cost of living did not go up this past year. He only gets 654$ a month..

I would love to know where these folks are doing there shopping?
Sorry but we have been feeling a major pinch.

Gas = Housing and car
Electricity
Food

For the most part we have taken to going to the Dollar stores to get side dishes and Sam's Club for meets, but even Sam's Club is starting to get expensive.

The ground here is like clay and we can't grow a proper garden, and we can't afford to move.

My husband JUST got a raise from work after waiting 1 1/2 yrs to get it

The bank bought out a house from across the street in January, booted the tenets out and have yet to get new tenets, usually it only takes a few days to get new renters in this neighborhood, But they are not renting it out, no signs put out and such. this is like the 3rd house on the block that is empty and not being filled , my neighborhood is slowing turning into a ghost town, unlike when I first moved here about 5 yrs ago. back then no house went without a tenet past the 3 day mark, but at the same time the rent is selfe what jacked up by 100$ each time.
Shadowstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Jnana
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: No Raise for S.S.I. this year

Food and energy have been excluded from core inflation for a number of years now, for the absurd reason that they are "too volatile".

http://www.answers.com/topic/core-inflation-1

Makes you wonder who knew what when.
Jnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Spiralmind
Avalon Senior Member

They can manipulate the numbers any way they want to give the results the want. I personally think the cost of living increases are history and will never happen again.

Spiralmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
sjkted
Avalon Senior Member

I have one word for this... hedonics. During the Clinton administration, Alan Greenspan changed the definition of inflation. Right now, if prices go up but are justified by some "improvement" such as computerization or new features, it does not count as inflation. There's a technical explanation, but basically they can say whatever they want for inflation and nobody can argue about it.

--sjkted
sjkted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
pureheart7
Retired Avalon Member

"The ground here is like clay and we can't grow a proper garden, and we can't afford to move."

There are alternatives for planting. You can do raised beds or large containers. You will have to work the soil, there's plenty of info out there.

I plant on my patio now using containers. I plant tomatoes, lettuce, basil, celery, parsley, oregano, thyme. And this spring I will plant more. I try different things to see what does well. There may be free workshops in your area that can help you plan your garden

Here is a video that I find very inspiring--enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCPEBM5ol0Q

and my youtube channel devoted to home gardens~~

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheGardenista#p/f
pureheart7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
peaceandlove
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowstalker View Post
I got a letter at the end of December stating the my son will not be getting his annual raise this year for his S.S.I. checks. They are claiming that the cost of living did not go up this past year. He only gets 654$ a month..
Blessings Shadowstalker,

Here is another thread with some additional information regarding SSI COLA

Big Cuts in Medicare and Medicaid Coming
http://www.projectavalon.net/forum/s...+security+cola

Excerpt POST #12

Quote:
It's official - there will be no Social Security COLA through 2012- and I don't mean an unsatisfying beveage to wash down your government cheese.

Quote:
POST #11

Quote:
...It would be wise to find a book telling you what plants and things are edible and healthy so those that need it will have an option.

SEASHORE: We members should be posting any ideas like this one that we can come up with... We know we have a horrible situation and we're going to have to do whatever we can to help each other.
Edible wild plants: a North American field guide By Thomas S. Elias, Peter A. Dykeman
http://books.google.com/books?id=uo4...age&q=&f=false

Blessings Seashore,

I just found out the delicate wood violet flower is edible (add to salads and make jams) and packed with Vitamin C (5 times more than oranges) (Vitamin A and Antioxidant anthocyanin), yum (ate a few yesterday), they are just popping up here now. I haven't checked out to see how they can be dried and still maintain nutritional value for future use.

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Violet_(plant)

Nibbling in the Woods

PaL

Last edited by peaceandlove; 03-21-2010 at 03:55 PM.
peaceandlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
Shadowstalker
Avalon Senior Member

Thank you all for your input I think theirs some of those flowers around the house here I'll have to take better look .

Thank you everybody for the info it help a lot
Shadowstalker is offline   Reply With Quote