Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Economy and Currency

Notices

Old 11-18-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
Banned

Default Anyone else out of work?

Last edited by 371; 12-17-2009 at 06:52 AM.
371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
sebring1963
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Anyone else out of work?

craigslist.com might help
sebring1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:41 PM   #3
Rareheart
Avalon Senior Member

You sound resourceful, and hard working. Those traits alone will help carry you though hard times.
Snow is coming...can you get involved in snow removal?
Continue multi-tasking...and keep your head up.
Opportunity will knock.
Will it...Know it.
Rareheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:53 PM   #4
Banned

Last edited by 371; 12-17-2009 at 06:52 AM.
371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:09 AM   #5
dreamangel
Avalon Senior Member

I am. I have bartered for help with construction around my house. I use Craigslist alot for littlie things that I need at better prices. I have stocked up pretty well on food for a while now. Just had the premenition that it was coming. I have been helping out several friends to pass the time too. I'm kinda enjoying it at the moment.
dreamangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:10 AM   #6
dreamangel
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 371 View Post
Yeah I've thought about doing snow removal but I don't have plow and it's not worth it around here without one, I know guys who plow and during a snowstorm they'll be out for over 24 hours nonstop just going from house to house plowing- which takes probably 2 minutes on average a house with a plow. That's a alot of money but then they're s.o.l the rest of the season. I'll probably end up doing it anyway for some of my neighbors with my snowblower.

Craigslist is full of bs offers and scams though I have found a few side jobs there, a lot of junk to wade through. I've had a couple people lead me on and not answer the door when I show up.

I have a friend who got back from Afghanistan two years ago and hasn't been able to find work that is steady or he likes, now he's going to work in Iraq as a 'security contractor'. I was offered a job in Afghanistan for $80,000 doing construction 4 months on 2 months off for a year contract, I turned it down and I'm starting to wish I hadn't.

You may want to post yourself on craigslist under services. That is how I found someone last year when I needed yard work while my mower was being fixed.
dreamangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:41 AM   #7
SpaceMonkey
Avalon Senior Member

it's the same in the uk, im at university in a relatively peaceful town and i was warned that 8 people on my course alone has been mugged in the past 2 weeks. This is an obvious cause of the financial crisis and the loss of jobs has made people desperate for money, not only are people losing jobs, but the crime has gone sky high as a result.
SpaceMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:44 AM   #8
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

I'm unemployed also!, I've been a Commercial Painting Contractor for 15 years in Florida, moved to north Georgia to get out of Florida and the economy took a s...t. But I do have a degree in electronics and have worked at Motorola, and a Commercial Satellite Antenna Co., and as a X-Ray service tech. working on various types of x-ray equipment. But that was all 15 years ago so I'm sure I'm alittle rusty. Now thinking about gold mining with a friend of mine up in Idaho, I don't know, times are tough for sure!, I haven't worked now in over 4 years, oops! HaHa, Oh also thinking about working on Wind Turbines as a technician, but not sure if I can stand being 300 feet up, never been that high up working before!
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:53 AM   #9
sebring1963
Avalon Senior Member

start a new job tomorrow unbelievable (former employer)
get to live at the building, studio apt in rear (no rent) gym membership

crappy pay still to be discussed

indentured servitude has its benefits
sebring1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:55 AM   #10
khristmaskathy
Avalon Senior Member

I am a preschool teacher but there's a good chance that after this year, they are cutting preschool out of the school system because it's not required, so I don't know if I'll have a job after this school year. My husband is employed but you never do know what is going to happen. I wish you the very best and I'm sending good thoughts to you that things will get better. We are in scary, hard times but we'll get through! Take care and let us know how things go!
khristmaskathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:05 AM   #11
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Hey 371 I do feel for ya man and know how it is, it's funny you mentioned a friend in security in Iraq because I might have my house sold finally to a guy doing security in Iraq! Oh and if you haven't listened to that 12 part video in Avalon-Preparations/Advice-thread called Catastrophic Earth Changes(Audio), you should!!!! Maybe we only have 2 or 3 more years to worry about it! I'm not trying to spread doom and gloom, use your own judgement after listening.

Last edited by Dantheman62; 11-19-2008 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:19 AM   #12
pyrangello
Avalon Senior Member

Hey 371 , always remember persistance pays off. It may not happen when you want but don't give up. Just stay networking and take all you can whatever the jobs or hours, that gives you options to step up or learn something new.

The gal at the unemployment office here where I'm at in mid northern michigan told me unoficially the unemployment rate is 12-18% or higher. Michigan lost 100,000 people last year in population and a few 100 thousand I am guessing are working out of state. We have been in a recession here for the last 10 years but I do know one thing stay persistant buddy, cost average your pay for the whole year and you'll make it.
pyrangello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:29 AM   #13
THE eXchanger
Avalon Senior Member

i had to learn how to employ myself
finishing high school at 16 - i was NOT old enough
to get a loan/nor, of a legal age to sign a contract

(parents earned too much-and, parents felt, pretty girls
who were already too smart for their own good
would only go to college/or university to get an MRS.
and, then stay home to raise children

i was doing stuff, at 13, to earn money
raking leaves/errand business, etc.,
which allowed me from 16-17,
to study & travel in the usa
and, to live off my savings

at almost 18 - 21, i worked for an insurance co.,
and, around the same age,
i learned how to broker deals
some finanical things, limited partnerships, etc.,
and, some, private label health products/mostly organics
which paid very well, if you could land contracts,
hard to believe, i have done that for over 30 years.

from 21 to 26, i worked for a co; that paid me $1000/week
and, back in 1979, that was a lot of money,
and, at the same time, i went to school
at 26-i got bitten by the networking bug/which went
along with my contract/formulate products and sell them
to companies--sometimes, i heard of a good company, joined it, and, promoted it, and, earned a decent amount of money,from doing this.

i also didn't finish school, til 28
by then, at 28-i was feed up,with corp. america,
so, i semi-retired and, travelled for almost 2 years...

so, i have been networking, for almost 24 years.

With mostly GO GREEN, biodegradable products, things that help the earth, chemcial free/ non toxic safe alternatives to products people already use,
that help people, create environments,
that are GO GREEN.

i deal in essential oils, flower essences, probiotics, herbal blends, free energy water machines, hexagonal water products, vitamin o's, colo. silver, colo. gold,
things that block/or lower EMF (ELECTRO MAG. FREQ)
safe cosmetics, and, the list goes on --

my business works 24/7, even if i do NOT work,
someone somewhere in the organisation is working,
and, i get paid -- it is a good option, esp.
if you are interested in promoting things.

I only ever, needed to walk the street for about 3 weeks,
talking to people, and, my business, has carried me,
with lots of referals, from happy customers
and, for the past couple of decades, work just happens,
without any advertising/or bothering others to buy,
they often just ask me,
what do you have for this, or, for that -- and, it's an instant sale.

There are ways, to get the internet to work for you, and, as, far, as i can concerned, i wish i knew a little more about that, but, somehow people find my website and buy, and, everytime, i earn something.

so, that is NOT a bad way to earn a living.

I am single person/without a spouse, and, female.

i know, it is NOT the industry for everyone...
but, for me, it has worked, and, worked quite well.

also, selling on ebay / craigslist, etc., has advantages too

i say, employ yourself -- is the only responsible thing to do
besides, a lot of what i do,
any person, can duplicate it,
and, it is pretty easy when you can duplicate it for free - complete with a website

if you want info
send me a message --

cheers/susan ~ the eXchanger

here are a few of my websites:

www.ineways.com/workingwonders (free)

or www.workingwonders.awarenesshealth.com ($25/yr)

or www.rgarden.net/workingwonders ($30/yr)
THE eXchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:03 AM   #14
Ricfly52
Avalon Senior Member

Now, I am older, at 57. I entered the workforce at 17. The math says I have worked for 40 years in the work force as it is. I have been unemployed since June 28, 2008. I was a carpenter, and a supervisor of carpenters.

Now nobody wants to hire me BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN UNEMPLOYED for 4 months. I have come to the conclusion of this. But also they don't want to hire me because I am in the OLD class. I am 57, but I am very active, and in great shape. I am 6 foot tall and weigh 187. But I have grey hair, so I get by passed. Here is the deal, I have worked in construction for almost 40 years. I owned my own construction business for fifteen years.

Now nobody wants to hire me, because I am too old? WTF? Hell I can out build any 25 year old in a heart beat. This is ******** with a capital B.
Ricfly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:41 AM   #15
broken arrow
Avalon Senior Member

Last edited by broken arrow; 12-05-2008 at 05:21 AM.
broken arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:00 AM   #16
Truther21
Avalon Senior Member

My thoughts.........

I work as an electricain also, the work here is slowing down too. I was thinking, wshtf who is gunna try to take my house? The chinees or who? Get in good with local law inforcement. Get to know them and their family. Get some protection and get trusted buddies. Ban together people. We will survive.

I was thinking that.... I only have a few more months before I cant pay my house payment. I barely am right now. But who is gunna take my house from me when I cant pay. They cant take it all back, and as far as your taxes off your check, claim exempt. Cuz come april..... what can they do?

?????
Truther21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:28 AM   #17
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

I'm kinda in the same boat as you Truther21, I've had my house for sale now 6 months and it's only shown twice!, And it's a really nice house on 5 acres, but I had to price it so low that I'm gonna lose the 25 grand I put down if I do finally sell!, so if I don't sell it, oh well, the bank can have it back because I'm not getting my money back anyway. I'm down to just a few months left moneywise so I'll pack up my s...t and leave! I'm tired of playing the credit game and tired of this BS economy!
Old 11-19-2008, 05:00 AM   #18
giovonni
Avalon Senior Member

Thumbs up Re: Anyone else out of work?

Greeting's A. 371,
I not there yet, but give it a little time and I think you'll be in big company!
Seriously though, this is not a joking matter, I salute you my friend> as always. I believe this thread is a good thing in its creation, and it will grow.
My best to you always, gio
giovonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:32 PM   #19
Xhaosis
Avalon Senior Member

yep not good times at the moment. Sub'n here and there.. Not to many people doing steady work. I am pretty sure about that. retail is getting slammed, construction is dead, Service is mediocre, (prob. next to get hit hard.) Manufacturing jobs in America, are getting real hard to find not to mention. From what I can see, Health care and services are staying strong. Lets see the financial sector has imploded, would be real nervous if I was in that field right now. Its hard to really do anything right now, except for watch. Hopefully the economy is about bottomed out. Hopefully. Not much to be happy about. In the economy that is. Gas is cheap.. Has the potential to leave many in dire straights.

Last edited by Xhaosis; 11-20-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Xhaosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:40 PM   #20
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

People are being laid off in Britain by the hundreds only time will tell how bad this is going to get.
For me i'm sorta retired now, my husband also we have lived on a low income for many years because of long term illnesses.
You get by.
The bubble has burst for many i feel now and the struggle will be a testing time for many.
Jacqui D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:03 PM   #21
feardia
Avalon Senior Member

Our work is never done, just because you don't get paid for it doesn't mean it isn't work. I have no intention of working and paying tax to a system which uses the money to oppress other members of the species and is actively trying to destroy our planet. This is the only planet in the universe which you have to pay to live on, this is not the natural order.
feardia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #22
mu2143
Avalon Senior Member

Money is just the invisible chain of slavery
mu2143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #23
KassandraLoves
Avalon Senior Member

sheesh, I know how you guys feel.

I work at a Harley-Davidson dealership as a finance manager and I feel like Im making fresh-out-of-highschool wages right now.

UGH! I have to get a second job to make ends meet....Not fun. Ive been looking for one and evevn though I am well qualified for many different positions, the job market sucks right now so its been difficult.

Lame stuff. Oh well, at least we are all having a tough time together!!! Id rather be effected at the same time as everyone else than be the only one hurtin'.

Thanks for keeping me company guys!
KassandraLoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:07 PM   #24
Baggywrinkle

It is evident that this is how it will be.

A gallon of milk (and the economy) doesn't usually go sour
overnight. Day by day it goes a bit more off until one day you realize that your goose is cooked

The balloon has already gone up. Now the question is how high and how fast will it travel, and how long before it cooks your goose personally.

My prayers are with you all. My recommendation is that you study closely Ferfal and Dimity Orlov for tips on how to roll with it.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:08 PM   #25
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

How's the Harley business?, my brother's got two of them, but I've always been a Yamaha/Honda man!, I mean I can get two of those for the price of a Harleyoops, I know, they're not american, I guess I'm a little biased since my motorcycle's a Yamaha and my Waverunners are Yamahas. oops again, off-topic