Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > What Does It Mean ?

Notices

What Does It Mean ? What does this all mean for the Ground Crew ?

Old 12-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Default "Please give me an ID card" say UK citizens

Published: 22 December 2008 13:26 GMT

More than 1,000 messages asking for ID cards have flooded into the Home Office.

Over the last two years, 1,142 out of 3,073 pieces of correspondence to government on the biometric cards have been classified as "wants an ID card", according to Home Secretary Jacqui Smith.

Smith revealed the figures in a recent parliamentary written answer where she added that the cards appear to be growing in popularity.

"From October 2007 to September 2008, the number one theme every month, accounting for by far the most common subject matter, has been 'wants an ID card'," she said.

Click here for all there is on biometrics, from ear to X-ray.
The announcement follows Identity and Passport Service (IPS) research that found 55 per cent of the public "agreed with ID cards" in November 2008, down from 60 per cent in August.

Smith also said that the Home Office also planned to introduce a secure "web-based service" to allow people to check how much of their "core identity information" is held on the National Identity Register, the central government database containing the personal and biometric information of ID cardholders.

She added that the IPS is in the process of procuring the system to run the web service from those companies bidding to produce the ID cards and run the National Identity Register.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Default Re: "Please give me an ID card" say UK citizens

Hi Antaletriangle,

I too am in favour if ID cards in the UK to store important information. In one card you can store your drivers license, tax code, polling card, birth certificate details, the list is endless.

Also eventually there will be global ID cards. One could argue that the numbering of such cards would be too difficult, but it is quite simple.

We could use telephone codes to simplify. So, in my case, as I was born in the UK, my number would be 44 (UK) 1904 (where I was born) WP****75-A (my NI number). There you have it. A 17 digit number which could be registered in the form of a bar code.

The same could be done in any part of the world for any person in the world and the same card could be used as a passport for travelling.

The things that you do later in life are added to your number, medical records, crimes, dirivng licenses etc. all centralized in data bases all over the world.

Wouldn't that bring the world a little closer together?

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaletriangle View Post
Published: 22 December 2008 13:26 GMT

More than 1,000 messages asking for ID cards have flooded into the Home Office.

Over the last two years, 1,142 out of 3,073 pieces of correspondence to government on the biometric cards have been classified as "wants an ID card", according to Home Secretary Jacqui Smith.

Smith revealed the figures in a recent parliamentary written answer where she added that the cards appear to be growing in popularity.

"From October 2007 to September 2008, the number one theme every month, accounting for by far the most common subject matter, has been 'wants an ID card'," she said.

Click here for all there is on biometrics, from ear to X-ray.
The announcement follows Identity and Passport Service (IPS) research that found 55 per cent of the public "agreed with ID cards" in November 2008, down from 60 per cent in August.

Smith also said that the Home Office also planned to introduce a secure "web-based service" to allow people to check how much of their "core identity information" is held on the National Identity Register, the central government database containing the personal and biometric information of ID cardholders.

She added that the IPS is in the process of procuring the system to run the web service from those companies bidding to produce the ID cards and run the National Identity Register.
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Not for me thx
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
burgundia
Avalon Senior Member

thank you very much, but no.
burgundia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Shocked that the masses aren't screaming "Please give me a lobotomy" instead.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
Sol Invictus
Banned

I'm sticking to my passport. The ID card can go fly a kite in a thunderstorm as far as I am concerned.
Sol Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
K626
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A View Post
Hi Antaletriangle,

I too am in favour if ID cards in the UK to store important information. In one card you can store your drivers license, tax code, polling card, birth certificate details, the list is endless.

Also eventually there will be global ID cards. One could argue that the numbering of such cards would be too difficult, but it is quite simple.

We could use telephone codes to simplify. So, in my case, as I was born in the UK, my number would be 44 (UK) 1904 (where I was born) WP****75-A (my NI number). There you have it. A 17 digit number which could be registered in the form of a bar code.

The same could be done in any part of the world for any person in the world and the same card could be used as a passport for travelling.

The things that you do later in life are added to your number, medical records, crimes, dirivng licenses etc. all centralized in data bases all over the world.

Wouldn't that bring the world a little closer together?

Best regards,

Steve
What a load of tosh...Unless you're being ironic?
K626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
K626
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post
I'm sticking to my passport. The ID card can go fly a kite in a thunderstorm as far as I am concerned.
Having an rfid chip in yer passport is bad enough.

id cards will be scrapped cause the whole scheme is wildly expensive with little or no benefits apart for 'the prying eyes'.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

Not for me thanks! Just another way of knowing all your business as far as i'm concerned.
Jacqui D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #10
EpiphaMe

I was told by an "insider" that if you have a credit card or debit card, the bar code on the back contains a 17 or 18 digit number including your country code, SSN, area code... I'd have to search my records for the exact formula, but my memory tells me that it also contains the number of generations your family has resided in this country. I'm not sure how to have this verified.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:06 PM   #11
K626
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiphaMe View Post
I was told by an "insider" that if you have a credit card or debit card, the bar code on the back contains a 17 or 18 digit number including your country code, SSN, area code... I'd have to search my records for the exact formula, but my memory tells me that it also contains the number of generations your family has resided in this country. I'm not sure how to have this verified.
Yup. That's why hotels love to grab it off you asap. You should see the dismay when I pay cash and don't hand over my card 'for booking purposes'.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #12
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiphaMe View Post
That's a new one on me! that's the way to go cash, cash, cash.
Love your avator EpiphaMe!
Jacqui D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #13
Steve_G

Would just like to point out that in order to create the ID card with all your details on it there would need to be a centralised database to take all that information from. It's more Big Brother Bull**** they say you need to protect you from the terrorists that they created and trained in the first place, if they actually exist outside of the mass media scaremongering campaign.

They can **** off.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:59 PM   #14
Kathleen

Oh dear, oh my....and what if I should lose my card or have it stolen? Why I'd much prefer to have that data in a little chip that could be painlessly inserted into my hand or smack dab in the middle of my forehead.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:22 PM   #15
K626
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_G View Post
Would just like to point out that in order to create the ID card with all your details on it there would need to be a centralised database to take all that information from. It's more Big Brother Bull**** they say you need to protect you from the terrorists that they created and trained in the first place, if they actually exist outside of the mass media scaremongering campaign.

They can **** off.
There are obstacles atm that they'd love to get round. For instance it is still quite difficult to get hold of medical records - something they'd love to get on a card along with bank details (where and how you spend your money - loyalty cards are still a test case)... and.......Oh yes voting records....People wanting an id card are clean off their heads.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:41 PM   #16
Steve_G

It's a good job I don't take these things seriously init?
Old 12-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #17
Steve_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Oh dear, oh my....and what if I should lose my card or have it stolen? Why I'd much prefer to have that data in a little chip that could be painlessly inserted into my hand or smack dab in the middle of my forehead.
Nah, if they're gonna do it I want a satellite dish grafting onto my head. Why hide it?
Old 12-24-2008, 04:45 PM   #18
K626
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_G View Post
Nah, if they're gonna do it I want a satellite dish grafting onto my head. Why hide it?
Choice of colours?