Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Health / Alternative Medicine

Notices

Old 03-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
Zeddo
Avalon Senior Member

Default Butter Vs Margarine

this may have been posted already....

This is interesting . .. .

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back. It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods..

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few
Only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..

Very high in Trans fatty acids .

Triple risk of coronary heart disease .
Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five fold.

Lowers quality of breast milk.

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response

And here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC!

This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things:

* No flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* It does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?
Zeddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
Snowbird
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Butter Vs Margarine

I am absolutely NOT surprised.

I gave up both margarine and butter many years ago and substituted organic, extra virgin olive oil on and in everything. The only time that I eat butter or margarine is.............if I just can't help it. And even then, I'd rather NOT.
Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:07 AM   #3
Carrie1971
Avalon Senior Member

Today when somebody asks me about diet, I make the following recommendation: vigorously seek to eliminate two things—hydrogenated fats and high fructose corn syrup—and you will see noticeable health improvements. Not all hydrogenated fats are made with cottonseed oil today; in fact, most are now made with soybean oil. But by eliminating just these two commodities—which is not as easy as it sounds—you will find that you have eliminated the majority of the “displacing foods of modern commerce” that Weston A. Price spoke about.

The above is a copy paste from this web site.

http://www.motherlindas.com/crisco.htm

30 years ago I had to be seeing a Dr. as I was "expecting" my first child. I had as yet unknown problem and he wanted to talk with me about my blood work. "It was a liver thing he wanted to know if my eyes ever looked yellow". So while waiting in his "office" there on his desk was a New England monthly reports of what is learned today. A Dr. at John Hopkins had done a "study" and found ONE link between cancers of the skin type which stated those people who used REAL Butter did not have that cancer. It was the ONE diet link he found. At that point in life we were below dirt poor and once a month we got food from USDA. Butter was always given ( This program to feed poor people keeps the price of things stable "high" in the U.S. markets. ) From that day on I have never got anything but real butter and only use Cold Pressed oils I try to stick to orgainc grown oils if I can.
Carrie1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:23 AM   #4
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

http://www.westonaprice.org/Why-Butter-Is-Better.html
Quote:
... people around the globe who have valued butter for its life-sustaining properties for millennia. When Dr. Weston Price studied native diets in the 1930's he found that butter was a staple in the diets of many supremely healthy peoples.1 Isolated Swiss villagers placed a bowl of butter on their church altars, set a wick in it, and let it burn throughout the year as a sign of divinity in the butter. Arab groups also put a high value on butter, especially deep yellow-orange butter from livestock feeding on green grass in the spring and fall. American folk wisdom recognized that children raised on butter were robust and sturdy; but that children given skim milk during their growing years were pale and thin, with "pinched" faces.2

Does butter cause disease? On the contrary, butter protects us against many diseases.
http://www.westonaprice.org/The-Skin...ts.html#butter
Quote:
Nutrients in Butter

The Diet Dictocrats have succeeded in convincing Americans that butter is dangerous, when in fact it is a valued component of many traditional diets and a source of the following nutrients:

Fat-Soluble Vitamins: These include true vitamin A or retinol, vitamin D, vitamin K and vitamin E as well as all their naturally occurring cofactors needed to obtain maximum effect. Butter is America's best source of these important nutrients. In fact, vitamin A is more easily absorbed and utilized from butter than from other sources.61 Fortunately, these fat-soluble vitamins are relatively stable and survive the pasteurization process.
http://www.westonaprice.org/The-Skinny-on-Fats.html
Quote:
When Dr. Weston Price studied isolated traditional peoples around the world, he found that butter was a staple in many native diets. (He did not find any isolated peoples who consumed polyunsaturated oils.) The groups he studied particularly valued the deep yellow butter produced by cows feeding on rapidly growing green grass. Their natural intuition told them that its life-giving qualities were especially beneficial for children and expectant mothers. When Dr. Price analyzed this deep yellow butter he found that it was exceptionally high in all fat-soluble vitamins, particularly vitamin A. He called these vitamins "catalysts" or "activators." Without them, according to Dr. Price, we are not able to utilize the minerals we ingest, no matter how abundant they may be in our diets. He also believed the fat-soluble vitamins to be necessary for absorption of the water-soluble vitamins. Vitamins A and D are essential for growth, for healthy bones, for proper development of the brain and nervous systems and for normal sexual development. Many studies have shown the importance of butterfat for reproduction; its absence results in "nutritional castration," the failure to bring out male and female sexual characteristics. As butter consumption in America has declined, sterility rates and problems with sexual development have increased. In calves, butter substitutes are unable to promote growth or sustain reproduction.62
Quote:
Not all the societies Dr. Price studied ate butter; but all the groups he observed went to great lengths to obtain foods high in fat-soluble vitamins—fish, shellfish, fish eggs, organ meats, blubber of sea animals and insects. Without knowing the names of the vitamins contained in these foods, isolated traditional societies recognized their importance in the diet and liberally ate the animal products containing them. They rightly believed such foods to be necessary for fertility and the optimum development of children. Dr. Price analyzed the nutrient content of native diets and found that they consistently provided about ten times more fat soluble vitamins than the American diet of the 1930's. This ratio is probably more extreme today as Americans have deliberately reduced animal fat consumption. Dr. Price realized that these fat-soluble vitamins promoted the beautiful bone structure, wide palate, flawless uncrowded teeth and handsome, well-proportioned faces that characterized members of isolated traditional groups.
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
SomeDoTheKnowledge...
Avalon Senior Member

Here is an interresting read on soya amongst other thing. I have not touched margarin after reading this. I'm glad to see there are many health-benefits from eating butter, as I love butter.

http://gnosticliberationfront.com/de...the_masses.htm
SomeDoTheKnowledge... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
conkroach
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird View Post
I am absolutely NOT surprised.

I gave up both margarine and butter many years ago and substituted organic, extra virgin olive oil on and in everything. The only time that I eat butter or margarine is.............if I just can't help it. And even then, I'd rather NOT.
You are missing out on a very nutritious food, especially if you can find raw butter. It has amazing healing properties. The fat in dairy, CLA, is good for weight loss. Fact: The more quality fat you eat, the faster you lose weight. The whole "low fat" craze has done more to harm people than you can imagine.

Right, margarine truly is near plastic. Only a few molecules away.
conkroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
Peace of mind
Avalon Senior Member

Very true Zeddo, might as well be eating plastic. On another note, fast food French fries may be delicious but are very unhealthy too, bugs won’t eat them either. Have you ever found a French fry underneath your car seat or under a couch? They can be there for months (or longer) and will not turn bad; In fact the nasty fatty oil preserves it.

Peace
Peace of mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
Zeddo
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace of mind View Post
Have you ever found a French fry underneath your car seat ...............
Peace
Funny you ask that....Yes in fact I did once and you are right. Besides being rock hard, it appeared as if it were fresh from the fat factory.......

As a kid we were fortunate and used to churn our own butter from unpastuerised milk. I remember taking the cream off the top of the milk for cereal and porridge too. We were the epitome of health, but then we were really active and never knew the meaning of TV, let alone video games.

I guess the trick is to find your local farmers who supply fresh produce and buy directly from them, especially if they are "organic". Oh yes, the other trick is to get rid of your TV's and electronic games !!!!

Don't you find it strange that fresh produce grown without chemical sprays is rated "organic" whereas other food is not? One would think that any vegetable matter would be classes as organic. Hmmmmm....

Z
Zeddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
Heartspace
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddo View Post
Funny you ask that....Yes in fact I did once and you are right. Besides being rock hard, it appeared as if it were fresh from the fat factory.......

As a kid we were fortunate and used to churn our own butter from unpastuerised milk. I remember taking the cream off the top of the milk for cereal and porridge too. We were the epitome of health, but then we were really active and never knew the meaning of TV, let alone video games.

I guess the trick is to find your local farmers who supply fresh produce and buy directly from them, especially if they are "organic". Oh yes, the other trick is to get rid of your TV's and electronic games !!!!

Don't you find it strange that fresh produce grown without chemical sprays is rated "organic" whereas other food is not? One would think that any vegetable matter would be classes as organic. Hmmmmm....

Z
You see, there is the key! Butter is great but it the UNPASTEURIZED butter that is very healthy. I have a few places near me that sell raw milk but all other dairy products they carry are pasteurized. I think this ties into another topic on this board about Activator X and the research by Dr. Weston Price.
Heartspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #10
Snowbird
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkroach View Post
You are missing out on a very nutritious food, especially if you can find raw butter. It has amazing healing properties. The fat in dairy, CLA, is good for weight loss. Fact: The more quality fat you eat, the faster you lose weight. The whole "low fat" craze has done more to harm people than you can imagine.

Right, margarine truly is near plastic. Only a few molecules away.
Well, raw butter is fine for those who eat dairy. However, I am vegan and stay away from all things animal.

I don't doubt for a minute that what you state is true.
Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote