Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Health / Alternative Medicine

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 04:12 PM   #26
waitinginthewings
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: UK Swine flu jabs starting 21st Oct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqui D View Post
About a week ago i got a letter from my surgery stating i am on the risk list!!!!!!! risk list what the hecks that!!!
It said i need my flu jab!
Okay i know some have a yearly flu jab that's been happening for years but i have never had a flu jab in my life, have they been looking through patients files or what!!
Seems i'm at risk then!!!
They will have to take me screaming and kicking i'm afraid.
Remember Jacqui, you never got "that" letter..........must have been delivered to someone else
waitinginthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #27
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

Flu vaccine programme is launched in NORTHERN Ireland.
Link

Last edited by Ammit; 10-21-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Ammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:03 PM   #28
waitinginthewings
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammit View Post
Flu vaccine programme is launched in Ireland.
Link
That story is actually about Northern Ireland, which is a part of Britain. There is no info about the Republic of Ireland yet.
waitinginthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #29
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

Actually Northern ireland is part of the UK which is what this thread is about.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #30
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

Ah, waitinginthewings, I see where you are coming from, sorry my typo. Am I allowed to change it to read Northern ireland instead of Ireland?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #31
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

Link

Some more reading on it.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:11 AM   #32
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Any one heard how things are going? Have people been rushing for the jab??
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:38 AM   #33
Avid
Avalon Senior Member

http://www.theflucase.com/index.php?...mid=64&lang=en

Side effects of jab in Sweden - 1 dead, many very ill....
Avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #34
Seth Haniel
Avalon Senior Member

Location: Hartlepool England But Moving Shortly to Fauldhouse Scotland
Cool Re: UK Swine flu jabs starting 21st Oct

And they're keeping a tally..............

"For the attention of all clinical staff (H1N1 vaccine)
If any inpatients are given the swine flu vaccination during their admission this must be recorded in the clinical notes and discharge summary, so that GPs are aware they have had it and don’t require a dose in the community
Dr ***** ******
Consultant physician in acute medicine and diabetes"
Seth Haniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #35
day
Retired Avalon Member

starting in Canada

Feds approve swine-flu vaccine, shots to begin in days

Wed Oct 21, 6:35 PM

By Steve Rennie, The Canadian Press

OTTAWA - Canada's largest-ever immunization campaign is ready to go now that the federal government has approved the swine-flu vaccine.

Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq announced Wednesday the vaccine has been approved for use in Canada, allowing provinces and territories to proceed with H1N1 flu shots as soon as possible.

"We now have a safe and effective vaccine being distributed to provinces and territories that they will be rolling out in a matter of days," Aglukkaq told a news conference.

"I encourage all Canadians to get vaccinated because it is the best way to protect our health and the health of our loved ones."

Other countries have already begun vaccinations.

In Canada, priority for the swine-flu shot has been assigned to pregnant women, health workers, young children, people living in remote places, and adults with chronic conditions - the groups most vulnerable to the H1N1 virus.

Local health authorities will ask people at lower risk to wait until people at higher risk get the shots. But Canada's chief public health officer, Dr. David Butler-Jones, acknowledged the vaccinations are "not a rationing exercise" and no one will be turned away.

"We're not going to spend a lot of time trying to go through people's medical history. We want to get as many people immunized as possible," he said.

"I think Canadians have shown, time and time again, their respect for the most vulnerable."

Ottawa has agreed to shield drug companies from lawsuits over the H1N1 pandemic vaccine. That means the federal government, not the vaccine manufacturers, would have to pay any damages awarded in court, except in cases of malpractice.

Quebec is the only province with a no-fault compensation plan for harmful side-effects resulting from immunizations.

Canadian clinical trials of the vaccine are still underway, but the federal regulator was satisfied enough with the results of thousands of clinical trials in Europe to approve the drug in Canada.

"This authorization was arrived at independently and on the basis of sound health science," said Dr. Elwyn Griffiths, head of the section of Health Canada that regulates vaccines.

"This vaccine is both safe and effective."

Butler-Jones added tests have shown people are more than 90 per cent immune to swine flu after a single shot.

Two million doses of the swine-flu vaccine had already been shipped to the provinces and territories, awaiting Aglukkaq's go-ahead.

Roll-out dates will vary across the country.

Public health officials in New Brunswick expect to start administering the swine flu vaccine Thursday, with health-care workers, First Nations people and school-age children first on the list.

In Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, doses of the vaccine will be available starting at some point next week.

Mass immunization clinics in Newfoundland and Labrador will start offering the vaccine as early as Monday.

Ontario already has 700,000 doses of vaccine, which will be offered first to certain groups that are more vulnerable to contracting swine flu.

The Manitoba government says clinics will be set up in targeted areas offering free vaccinations to those first on the priority list starting Monday.

The federal government aims to ship about three million doses a week as the vaccine rolls off the production line.

Pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline has a contract to produce 50.4 million doses of pandemic vaccine at its facility in Ste-Foy, Que.

But there are concerns about the new vaccine, which contains adjuvants or compounds that boost the immune system's response to vaccine, allowing for smaller doses.

Until now there had been no licensed flu vaccine containing adjuvant in Canada, although adjuvants have been used for years in Europe in flu vaccines targeted at seniors.

There are no data on the use of so-called adjuvanted flu vaccine in pregnant women, which may add to the already high degree of reluctance many pregnant women feel about taking any medication or therapy.

There is also little data on the safety of the additives in vaccines given to children.

Though it had first said it would only buy adjuvanted vaccine, the federal government later ordered 1.8 million doses of vaccine that does not contain adjuvants for pregnant women and young children. But the doses shipped this week contain adjuvants.

The unadjuvanted vaccine is expected to be ready by early next month, Aglukkaq said.

Only a third of those polled earlier this month in a Canadian Press Harris-Decima survey say they will get the shot, compared with 45 per cent in late August.

But that could change now that the second wave of the H1N1 flu appears to have hit parts of Canada. In British Columbia, provincial health officer Dr. Perry Kendall said about 10 per cent of the population has already had the illness.

The Public Health Agency has developed national recommendations on the use of H1N1 flu vaccine, which include:

-All Canadians 10 years of age and older should get one dose of adjuvanted vaccine;

-Children from six months and up to 10 years of age should receive the adjuvanted vaccine in two half-doses, administered at least 21 days apart;

-Children less than six months old should not get the vaccine; and,

-Pregnant women should get one dose of the unadjuvanted vaccine. But if the unadjuvanted vaccine is unavailable and H1N1 flu rates are high or on the rise, women more than 20 weeks pregnant should get one dose of the adjuvanted vaccine.

The H1N1 vaccine can be administered at the same time as the seasonal flu shot and other vaccines, as long as the needles go into different arms.
flu
day is offline   Reply With Quote