Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Spirituality

Notices

Old 11-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
iainl140285
Avalon Senior Member

Default Oldest Memories - When They Begin?

Hi All,

I just wanted to get some insight into your earliest memories - whatever they were.

Reason being, mines appears to from when I was a few days old. What I actually remember is lying facing upwards with a really bright light all around and seeing 3 shadows, the very right hand side was shorter, to theft of that was a taller figure standing really close to the shorter one. A few more steps to the left was another figure. I can remeber them mubling, no words though.

When I got a bit older I was told by my parents that I was 2 weeks premature and had jaundice. I was placed in an incubator type thing and the second they metioned I was under a light that memory just hit me like a wall! I told them I remebered. I believe it was my parents standing side by side and a doctor to the left - although I stress they were just shadows of figures against the background light.

I think that makes it my oldest memory - just wondered if anyone had any insight into what age do we start remembering things?

Peace
Iain
iainl140285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Default Re: Oldest Memories - When They Begin?

Hi iainl140285,

I also have an interest in discovering how far back we can remember. My earliest memories are from when I was three years old, when my family lived in Germany (military family). I remember my mother taking the down out of a pillow to wash the bolster. Actually it's not a 'memory of the first kind' it's actually a memory of me remembering the fact. Does that make sense?

It would be great if newborns were able to talk and tell us what they think and see when they're laid there watching and listening to the adult world.

Recent parents have the opportunity to try and get this information when their children are able to speak to try and see if they remember their 'cot' years.

It really is quite a fascinating subject.

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainl140285 View Post
Hi All,

I just wanted to get some insight into your earliest memories - whatever they were.

Reason being, mines appears to from when I was a few days old. What I actually remember is lying facing upwards with a really bright light all around and seeing 3 shadows, the very right hand side was shorter, to theft of that was a taller figure standing really close to the shorter one. A few more steps to the left was another figure. I can remeber them mubling, no words though.

When I got a bit older I was told by my parents that I was 2 weeks premature and had jaundice. I was placed in an incubator type thing and the second they metioned I was under a light that memory just hit me like a wall! I told them I remebered. I believe it was my parents standing side by side and a doctor to the left - although I stress they were just shadows of figures against the background light.

I think that makes it my oldest memory - just wondered if anyone had any insight into what age do we start remembering things?

Peace
Iain
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
iainl140285
Avalon Senior Member

[QUOTE=Steve_A;77878]Hi iainl140285,

Actually it's not a 'memory of the first kind' it's actually a memory of me remembering the fact. Does that make sense?

Hi Steve - that makes perfect sense! Thats exactly how I'd class my experience, a memory of remembering the fact. Well put

Peace
Iain
iainl140285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
Jenny
Project Avalon Member

Additional...

As soon as a child starts to talk, use language in a coherent way, memory for facts is a fact.
It has learned a word for a thing and is able to classify it...see connections between occurances it can label with a word which is creating a neurological pathway in the brain.

As adults we can go back to a world without language and because we have labels and a classificationsystem and language we give some interpretation to what we feel.

A world of feeling without language, thinking, labeling , is a world where there is no need NOR the ability to " remember" a fact.

Facts belong to the rational mental world of thinking and language.

Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote