Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Project Avalon General Discussion

Notices

Project Avalon General Discussion Finding safe places, information and resources for building communities, site suggestions.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #901
Czymra
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: _AVALON LOUNGE_ Open 24 hours

Just explain to me, you are researching all this stuff but still listen to Metal?
Don't get me wrong, I love some Metal songs as well, but isn't it somewhat contradictory?
Czymra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #902
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czymra View Post
Just explain to me, you are researching all this stuff but still listen to Metal?
Don't get me wrong, I love some Metal songs as well, but isn't it somewhat contradictory?
Of course it is...but music is still an art form..and the mesage that Metallica sends if you really listen to it..is pretty profound.
They tend to bring out the issues of society, and wether you like the message or not..it is what is going on, and where the minds of many have to live. Brought to the forefront and put right in your face...it makes you think...wow, this is how it is for some, and that is not really a good thing...it makes me mad...I want to rebel..etc. If it is used to wake um up..it's not a bad thing.
Also..Lars is one of my favorite drummers, and the music they make on a professional level is outstanding

Last edited by BROOK; 02-22-2009 at 05:56 PM.
BROOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #903
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Hey Czymra, I keep it seperated and really don't think one has to do with the other. Music is music and this stuff is this stuff, I'm not going to start listening to Barry Manilow or ABBA just because I'm researching this stuff. LOL!

BROOK, Lars can't even hold a candle to Neil Peart, HaHa, sorry I had to put my two and a half cents in, LOL!... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g36pC...next=1&index=4
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #904
Czymra
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOK View Post
Of course it is...but music is still an art form..and the mesage that Metallica sends if you really listen to it..is pretty profound.
They tend to bring out the issues of society, and wether you like the message or not..it is what is going on, and where the minds of many have to live. Brought to the forefront and put right in your face...it makes you think...wow, this is how it is for some, and that is not really a good thing...it makes me mad...I want to rebel..etc. If it is used to wake um up..it's not a bad thing.
Also..Lars is one of my favorite drummers, and the music they make on a professional level is outstanding
It's not the music as such that I doubt but what is unheard. I've never felt like all those old Rock Bands that everybody seems to pray to and have kind of felt confirmed when I found out it's all satan's worship. Not that I care too much, I just wonder what it can do to me without me noticing.

Rage against the Machine, at least overtly, does exactly what it named itself after.

But hey, give me some Prodigy and I'm fizzed out so I don't want to preach. I just never heard anything that substantiated it all apart from "Stairway to Heaven" backwards but who hasn't....
Old 02-22-2009, 08:10 PM   #905
BROOK
Avalon Senior Member

Dan...you may be right...notice I said "One" of my favorite drummers
There is a lot of trash out there...but I really don't think Metallica is in that catagory. I for one listen to all kinds of music..from opera to metal
BROOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:47 AM   #906
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOK View Post
Okay Luminari have a great time...here at the Avalon Lounge

We are gonna rock out...starting with some Tull

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwbBx...eature=related

Brinty...you're gonna love the piano opening on this one!

Have a drink...now enjoy some Eric Clapton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COo8KiZryM0

To close...some solo Eric Clapton...Classical

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55A9H-PqOvY

Enjoy the show folks
Ayup i noticed TULL me here at kate bushes' home a few years ago!!!lol notice the T-shirt lol.

Last edited by Antaletriangle; 02-23-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:24 AM   #907
Luminari
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czymra View Post
Yes well I'm not your average metal fan, maybe you can put it down to the polarisation of our society and/or psyche. I am a soverign being who will rebel against all forms of repression and authority and manipulation.

Including religion (that includes pathetic false anti-systems like so called 'satanism')

Nothing screams "stick it to the man" better than loud metal riffs and guitar solos.
I have tattoos and have played electric guitar for over 15 years...
Though as more of a 'lone wolf' than anything else, I dislike the negative cliche aspects of the perceived metal scene as much as anyone.. and I support bands that convey an 'empowering' message, whether political or spiritual/artistic.

My first passion is astronomy and learning more about ET cultures and true spirituallity.. lead guitar is a very close second. I have come to a place in my life where I can balance these apparently contradictory lifestyles quite nicely.

Czymra, most metal guys are ignorant barbarians, but deep inside these simple people they intuitively 'know' that there is something massively wrong with this sick world and the systems of education and government, and the social-stratification economically of society. And they would like to break down these structures as ideallogical freedom-fighters with guitars as their AK-47's.
Luminari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:06 AM   #908
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Here you go Luminari, a 12 year old playing Surfing with the Alien, his name is Reed and he has a band called Still Pending!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KzNt...eature=channel

Last edited by Dantheman62; 02-23-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #909
Czymra
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminari View Post
Yes well I'm not your average metal fan, maybe you can put it down to the polarisation of our society and/or psyche. I am a soverign being who will rebel against all forms of repression and authority and manipulation.

Including religion (that includes pathetic false anti-systems like so called 'satanism')

Nothing screams "stick it to the man" better than loud metal riffs and guitar solos.
I have tattoos and have played electric guitar for over 15 years...
Though as more of a 'lone wolf' than anything else, I dislike the negative cliche aspects of the perceived metal scene as much as anyone.. and I support bands that convey an 'empowering' message, whether political or spiritual/artistic.

My first passion is astronomy and learning more about ET cultures and true spirituallity.. lead guitar is a very close second. I have come to a place in my life where I can balance these apparently contradictory lifestyles quite nicely.

Czymra, most metal guys are ignorant barbarians, but deep inside these simple people they intuitively 'know' that there is something massively wrong with this sick world and the systems of education and government, and the social-stratification economically of society. And they would like to break down these structures as ideallogical freedom-fighters with guitars as their AK-47's.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:12 AM   #910
Luminari
Avalon Senior Member

Wink Re: _AVALON LOUNGE_ Open 24 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantheman62 View Post
Here you go Luminari, a 12 year old playing Surfing with the Alien, his name is Reed and he has a band called Still Pending!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KzNt...eature=channel

Cool Dan, that young dudes a pretty good player already
Thanks for the nice feedback Czymra to my metal rant.

Satriani really is AMAZING

If any of you can get a copy of "2008 - Professor Satchafunkilus And The Musterion Of Rock" the very last song "Andalusia" is absolutely life-changing its my favourite song of all time at the moment (!) So good beyond belief I think you will transcend time and space and perceive infinity and the flame of creativity which is alive and flourishing here on Earth. Awe-inspiring.

Did I talk it up enough?

here is a link to _ANDALUSIA_ enjoy my friends, please listen to the whole thing to understand its epic majesty (it only goes for 6:50 not the whole 10:47 that the file says):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAaND1Q5Ux8

Last edited by Luminari; 02-24-2009 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:44 AM   #911
futureyes
Avalon Senior Member

reed's pretty good dan ...

what were WE doing when we were twelve ... hmm ... don't much remember what i did yesterday never mind back then ...

oh I KNOW what i was doing musically then ...

now PULEEZE ... do NOT let others know this ...

i had already been playing the old squeeze box for about four years ...

hey hey hey ... don't laugh i wanted to play the "PIANO" but the closest we could afford was ... an "ACCORDIAN" ... oh dear ...

played that thing for a number of years and taught for the last few ...

never did end up ever playing the piano ...

ya didn't hear it from me ... turtles and squeeze boxes don't really mix ...

oh i know what i came in here for ... a frilly fruity umbrella drink ...

and bartender ... make it a double ...

been one of those days ...

futureyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:50 AM   #912
Luminari
Avalon Senior Member

Here you go FutureEyes

Old 02-24-2009, 04:26 AM   #913
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

HaHa

Old 02-24-2009, 04:27 AM   #914
futureyes
Avalon Senior Member

hey thanks luminari ... looks mighty refreshing ...
Old 02-24-2009, 04:33 AM   #915
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Old 02-24-2009, 04:42 AM   #916
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

So, it's musical confession time is it? My sister who was six years younger than I, decided she wanted to play the piano. So our parents bought a piano and Eve had lessons for a few months. She got out of bed one morning and said she'd had enough of "scales and all that ****" and never touched it again.

The piano held one end of our carpet down for some years after that. It was in the house for maybe 12 years and I never even lifted the lid. Then one afternoon, I brought a friend home to listen to a new record I had just bought. This was back when 78s were the only discs you could buy.

When Bob walked into our lounge, he spied the piano and asked if he could play it. Well I said, "sure, go ahead while I get the record player set up." You could have knocked my socks off. Bob played that piano and almost made it talk. I asked where he had learned to play like that, and he told me he taught himself - that in fact he played by ear.

So we listened to the record. I went to turn it over to play the other side and dropped it, of course it shattered as only a 78 could. Bob then pointed out how to pick out a melody on the piano with the right hand and how to add pretty basic sort of cords with the left.

I was hooked. After a few weeks of perseverance I could knock out a fairly decent tune and was quite proud of my new talent. About a year after this, Bob called in again and we took turns at playing that old piano. Then Bob said, "do you remember this tune?" and started playing. I listened and said that it was familiar but I couldn't think of its name. He then floored me again when he said, "that's the tune on the record you played the first time I came here. Remember, you dropped it and it broke."

Well, I carried on playing piano by ear until I was introduced to a Lowrey organ in 1975. I thought I was in heaven. Finally, the damp got to the Lowrey and keys stopped working. But before that happened, we took that organ with us in the back of our pick-up truck everywhere we went.

We currently have a more modern Lowrey, an Elka organ, a Yamaha full size piano keyboard and a smaller Yamaha organ keyboard. I'm currently working on trying to get them all hooked together so Elaine and I can really cook up some good entertainment.

Isn't life strange futureyes? My main desire, from when I was a kid, was to play a piano accordion. Something I have never done.

What say we get together and swap our abilities?
Brinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:21 AM   #917
futureyes
Avalon Senior Member

Smile Re: _AVALON LOUNGE_ Open 24 hours

oh dan ... that pic ...

you wanting me to have nightmares tonight?

i'm feelin goosebumps on my shell ... sheeeesh ... all those squeezeboxes ...

loved your story brinty ... life's funny ...

yeah sure brinty ... if i find my self up in your neck of the woods one day ... i'll look you up and we'll jam ...

or as you would call it ... 'swapping abilities' ...

mental note: never bring up accordians again cos someone will post scary pics with it ... thanks dan ...

sweet dreams ...
Old 02-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #918
Machinamentum
Avalon Senior Member

Machinamentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:17 PM   #919
Luminari
Avalon Senior Member

Talking Re: _AVALON LOUNGE_ Open 24 hours

Nice Kathleen! and Brook, you guys rock.

Welcome All

We have fruitcake..

..and accordians

Seriously this place is losing its mojo..

Who's bringing sexy back?

Old 02-25-2009, 08:32 PM   #920
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminari View Post

OH NO!!! I can feel it happening again! Where are my blood pressure pills?

Those MacDonalds girls really push my buttons and stretch my elastic.

If I look any longer I just know I'm going to . . . . . AAARRRHHH. . . . . FIZZZZZ . . . POP . . . .BANG
Old 02-25-2009, 08:50 PM   #921
futureyes
Avalon Senior Member

brinty ... "stretch your elastic?" ...

hmm ... i really can't decide ... eeeewwwy fruit cake or macdonalds ... hmm ...

Old 02-25-2009, 09:10 PM   #922
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

Sorry futureyes I should have explained - you see, my glasses keep sliding down my nose so I have elastic to hold them on. (the glasses - not my nose.) Some things I look at make my eyes pop out and before I know it, the elastic loses its grip then I lose mine.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #923
Machinamentum
Avalon Senior Member

Machinamentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #924
futureyes
Avalon Senior Member

thanks for setting me straight about your "elastic" brinty ...

my mind was stretched waaaayy beyond what you REALLY meant ...

maybe i should cut down on my fruity drink intake ...

Old 02-25-2009, 11:19 PM   #925
Brinty
Avalon Senior Member

No don't do that futureyes, fruity drinks are the elixir of life. They let you see the world through rose-tinted glasses. Just make sure the umbrelly things don't get up your nose. If they do, your eyes water and the world gets all distorted.

Which is probably why the world's in the state it is. Too many umbrellies up too many schnozzles.