Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Resources > Sharing Resources

Notices

Old 09-16-2008, 06:29 AM   #1
Proserpinian
Avalon Senior Member

Default De-Humidifiers and Water Purification

Hey everybody. I thought this idea would be good to share in this arena of discussion. Let's say you might be in a bit of a pickle and need water for whatever. I was wondering what everybody's thoughts were on using the water from dehumidifiers, finding a way to purify the water they produce somehow, and storing it?? Let me know if anybody can add to this idea. Thanks.
Proserpinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
doodah
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: De-Humidifiers and Water Purification

I've researched this before. Almost everybody says not to use dehumidifier water -- straight, anyway. But to use it after some purification process, yes, why not?

One of the coolest purification methods I've seen so far goes something like this:
1. You get a bunch of unglazed clay flowerpots.
2. Plug the holes in the bottom of them.
3. Stack them up, maybe 5 high, one inside the other.
4. Put water in the top one.
5. The water slowly percolates down through the first clay pot, then the second, third, etc., until all the water has been filtered through clay.

I haven't tried this construction, but am keeping it in mind for when I come across some cheap clay pots. This sounds to me like it would work, and it's energy-free. All it would require is some planning in advance, once you know how long it takes for the full process.

By the way, I don't waste hardly any water. This summer I hooked my air conditioner drain spout to a 32-gallon Rubbermaid trash can and collected about 64 gallons of water, which I used to water vegetables. They're growing fine, so I guess they liked it. An air conditioner is just a dehumidifier that sits in your window and puts out cool air. So, really, if you have a dehumidifier, and electricity, you can make water!

I feel like I have to apologize for using an air conditioner, but I live in a very humid climate. This summer I didn't use it all that much, but to get 64 gallons of water tells you how humid it can be. When it gets to be 85 degrees and 80% humidity, and all my printer paper is getting soggy, I do use it. It's a very efficient unit, energywise.

Last edited by doodah; 09-16-2008 at 07:43 AM.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #3
Proserpinian
Avalon Senior Member

That's an awesome idea, thanks. I'll have to remember to do that with an air conditioner. Thanks a bunch
Proserpinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
QtesUKStoke
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
I've researched this before. Almost everybody says not to use dehumidifier water -- straight, anyway. But to use it after some purification process, yes, why not?

One of the coolest purification methods I've seen so far goes something like this:
5. The water slowly percolates down through the first clay pot, then the second, third, etc., until all the water has been filtered through clay.

I haven't tried this construction, but am keeping it in mind for when I come across some cheap clay pots. This sounds to me like it would work, and it's energy-free. All it would require is some planning in advance, once you know how long it takes for the full process.

By the way, I don't waste hardly any water. This summer I hooked my air conditioner drain spout to a 32-gallon Rubbermaid trash can and collected about 64 gallons of water, which I used to water vegetables. They're growing fine, so I guess they liked it. An air conditioner is just a dehumidifier that sits in your window and puts out cool air. So, really, if you have a dehumidifier, and electricity, you can make water!

I feel like I have to apologize for using an air conditioner, but I live in a very humid climate. This summer I didn't use it all that much, but to get 64 gallons of water tells you how humid it can be. When it gets to be 85 degrees and 80% humidity, and all my printer paper is getting soggy, I do use it. It's a very efficient unit, energywise.

Great idea! thx for sharing
QtesUKStoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post

Cheers, great idea and simple; always the best!
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:57 AM   #6
lovnstars86
Avalon Senior Member

I know that this is kinda out there, but does anyone have a subscription to earthfiles.com?
lovnstars86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:29 AM   #7
QtesUKStoke
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnstars86 View Post
I know that this is kinda out there, but does anyone have a subscription to earthfiles.com?
QtesUKStoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
GregorArturo
Avalon Senior Member

Found this website, cached version though (the original wasn't fully working):
http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=1&gl=us

And here is a PDF from the website, :
http://info.anu.edu.au/ovc/media/_pd..._final_web.pdf
GregorArturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:20 PM   #9
mntruthseeker
Avalon Senior Member

It never siezes to amaze me at the knowledge that I gain from this site.

Very interesting ideas to all regarding the water. I am on oxygen and I stocked on the purified water but untild today, I didnt have a clue how to do it myself

Youre all wonderul

mntruthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
GregorArturo
Avalon Senior Member

http://jmooneyham.com/watp.html

Great document listing tons of water extraction/purification techniques from various survival guides. Includes the clay one, but it says use 3 unglazed pots, stack them, and put it pieces of brick, sand, iron for it to filter through to.
GregorArturo is offline   Reply With Quote