Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Global Ground Crew Networking > Europe > UK

Notices

Old 09-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Default UK-Small town establishes it's own currency!

Ayup!! this is starting maties have a look at this..At least it's a step in the right direction!?

Connecting the Dots in the New World Order
The latest news and personal opinions in the quest to awaken the masses to the Truth of what is happening in the New World Order

Wednesday, 10 September 2008
UK Town Launches Its Own Currency

CNN

'Tired of soaring prices and uncertain financial markets, a small town in southern England is fighting back -- with its own local currency.
Tuesday evening, the wealthy English town of Lewes plans to launch the Lewes Pound as a complementary currency to the British pound. About 50 local traders have agreed to accept it, and organizers are selling the notes at a discount to entice people to buy them.
"If you spend a pound in a supermarket," campaigner Adrienne Campbell told CNN, "it almost immediately goes out of the community, leaks away, and then isn't remaining in the community serving the local people."
Organizers say the Lewes Pound benefits shoppers by strengthening local shops and increasing a sense of pride in the community. For traders, it increases customer loyalty, minimizes the cost of card-based transactions, and attracts attention to the town. The Lewes Pound also benefits the environment by keeping transactions local, thus reducing carbon emissions, organizers say.
Local cheese shop Cheese Please -- which plans to accept the new currency -- offers an example in the economics. Owner Fiona Kay fills her counter with local cheeses, and a customer would use the Lewes Pound to buy them. Kay would then pay the dairy with Lewes Pounds, and the dairy owner would use the Lewes Pound to buy local supplies.
The Lewes Pound is a basically a voucher worth one British pound that can only be redeemed at locally-owned participating stores. Customers can buy it at several issuing outlets around town and trade it back for sterling at any time.
"I think we will be keen to take it," said Hamish Elder, managing director of the local Harveys Brewery. "For us, it's as much about how well it's welcomed by the people who are using it. If they find it a nuisance, and there is no real benefit for them, they they are not going to back it, so there is no point (in) us backing it."
To encourage people to buy the currency, organizers are offering a 10-percent discount on the notes for the next two weeks. It's all part of a year-long pilot program designed to test how well the system works.
Lewes Mayor Michael Chartier plans to launch the program Tuesday evening in a ceremony at the Lewes Town Hall, unveiling the nearly 10,000 Lewes Pounds that have so far been designed. Lewes has a history of being a bit rebellious.
U.S. revolutionary Thomas Paine spent six years in Lewes until 1774, and for hundreds of years the town has hosted a wild and colorful annual bonfire parade. The town has also had its own currency once before, between 1789 and 1895.
The current currency initiative has the backing of Transition Towns, a non-profit organization that works with local communities to develop their own initiatives to address high oil prices and climate change.'

Great idea but the backing of Transition Towns is slightly worrying !

http://dotconnectoruk.blogspot.com/2...-currency.html
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
Kate
Avalon Senior Member

Location: currently UK, searching for a safe relocation in next year
Default Re: UK-Small town establishes it's own currency!

WooHoo! thats just evidence of how easy it could be...if everyone became totally disillusioned with the current matrix system...we CAN make a difference...and take back our power as a society!!!
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Yeah,i know matey it gives a little hope and a step in the rate direction.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
Zelphael
Avalon Senior Member

Interesting stuff! I bet people will visit the town just to see and buy their own notes too, so tourist pounds would be coming in also. Very cool.

I wonder about counterfeiting, though? If they've thought that through?
Zelphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
mikey
Avalon Senior Member

Yeah i read about this...very cool indeed and good on em

peace

bananaman
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

Well Well, could all counties have there own currency i wonder!
Yes i can see how that would work.
Agree with the previous message what about fraud!
But then maybe it doesn't even matter, right i'm off to design me new Rainham kent rune lol!
I think i'll have little prancing fairies and a unicorn minted hmm! maybe not i think the locals would think i've gone completely ga ga
All these things are changing rapidly now wow!!
When i start hearing all this stuff it reminds me of that U S programm Jericho.
How small town folk survive after the atomic bomb and how they changed all the school books and education system even altering the american flag.

By the way did anyone feel anything this morning with the blackhole scenario, parhaps someone picked something up psychically?
Jacqui D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
Irving
Avalon Senior Member

Now thats what I call economic evolution!
Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
infiniteplayer
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaletriangle View Post
Ayup!! this is starting maties have a look at this..At least it's a step in the right direction!?

The latest news and personal opinions in the quest to awaken the masses to the Truth of what is happening in the New World Order

CNN

'Tired of soaring prices and uncertain financial markets, a small town in southern England is fighting back -- with its own local currency.
Tuesday evening, the wealthy English town of Lewes plans to launch the Lewes Pound as a complementary currency to the British pound. About 50 local traders have agreed to accept it, and organizers are selling the notes at a discount to entice people to buy them.
"If you spend a pound in a supermarket," campaigner Adrienne Campbell told CNN, "it almost immediately goes out of the community, leaks away, and then isn't remaining in the community serving the local people."
Organizers say the Lewes Pound benefits shoppers by strengthening local shops and increasing a sense of pride in the community. For traders, it increases customer loyalty, minimizes the cost of card-based transactions, and attracts attention to the town. The Lewes Pound also benefits the environment by keeping transactions local, thus reducing carbon emissions, organizers say.
Local cheese shop Cheese Please -- which plans to accept the new currency -- offers an example in the economics. Owner Fiona Kay fills her counter with local cheeses, and a customer would use the Lewes Pound to buy them. Kay would then pay the dairy with Lewes Pounds, and the dairy owner would use the Lewes Pound to buy local supplies.
The Lewes Pound is a basically a voucher worth one British pound that can only be redeemed at locally-owned participating stores. Customers can buy it at several issuing outlets around town and trade it back for sterling at any time.
"I think we will be keen to take it," said Hamish Elder, managing director of the local Harveys Brewery. "For us, it's as much about how well it's welcomed by the people who are using it. If they find it a nuisance, and there is no real benefit for them, they they are not going to back it, so there is no point (in) us backing it."
To encourage people to buy the currency, organizers are offering a 10-percent discount on the notes for the next two weeks. It's all part of a year-long pilot program designed to test how well the system works.
Lewes Mayor Michael Chartier plans to launch the program Tuesday evening in a ceremony at the Lewes Town Hall, unveiling the nearly 10,000 Lewes Pounds that have so far been designed. Lewes has a history of being a bit rebellious.
U.S. revolutionary Thomas Paine spent six years in Lewes until 1774, and for hundreds of years the town has hosted a wild and colorful annual bonfire parade. The town has also had its own currency once before, between 1789 and 1895.
The current currency initiative has the backing of Transition Towns, a non-profit organization that works with local communities to develop their own initiatives to address high oil prices and climate change.'

There is already an established LETS alternative monetary system running in the Lewes and Brighton area.

Here is the LETS system! Its easy to set up and those that cheat the system are VERY easy to spot and exclude from the group.

http://www.gmlets.u-net.com/

Infiniteplayer
infiniteplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
ICF_Wax
Avalon Senior Member

Those Transition Town's, people sound INTERESTING....I guess

Like the idea of local recirculation,
Still don't like the Idea of money.

But that is a really impressive blag, by any standard.

Hooray for erh... our side?

Whats the Score?
Are we Winning?
ICF_Wax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #10
Newliving
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaletriangle View Post

I am helping develop a Transition Towns initiative in Newcastle-under-Lyme (Wolstanton/Porthill wards) because I reckon there's a lot of synergy between TTs' ideas about creating resilience in food and energy for local areas, and the kind of predictions and prospects for the future as discussed on this forum.

I was stunned to discover TTs about three months ago and finding that their concept is so well developed and founded in permaculture principles. There are many videos on Youtube worth watching.

It's an idea that appeals to mainstream people who understand the ideal that every local area should have its own resilience rather than being complacent about worldwide supply networks and 'limitless' resources despite so much news in the mainstream about climate change, peak oil, political instability, terrorism and so on.

Developing local resilience today will help to mitigate shocks and avoid shortages tomorrow.

www.transitiontowns.org
Newliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:57 PM   #11
Operator
Avalon Senior Member

Hi,

I am afraid that Maharishi beat us all to this ....

http://www.maharishivediccity.net/at.../currency.html

Cheers
Operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:58 PM   #12
Operator
Avalon Senior Member

I am not sure if it is wise to be coupled tot the $ though ....
Operator is offline   Reply With Quote