Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Economy and Currency

Notices

Old 10-19-2008, 01:37 AM   #101
bilderburger w/cheese
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Buy Silver & Gold Right NOW!

i bought several 1 oz credit suisse gold bars and some krugs at tulving.com. another good place with reasonable prices is apmex. kitco is my third choice. keep in mind that i only dealt with tulving, so the other two sites are only what ive read were good businesses in which to deal.

in the past few weeks, apmex was low on gold and tulving was almost sold out. since then, theyve restocked. apparently, some banks, short on capital, dumped some gold onto the market to cover themselves (source: article in 'the market oracle' off of rense). that might have contributed to the price drop.

i am a fan of bullion, like cosmic fever. gold is gold is gold-- get it in the cheapest form possible in the most recognizable and tradeable form. gold shot is cheap, but decide for yourself if it would be trade-worthy in your projections of when 'it' hits the fan. would you accept gold shot in trade or would you prefer a minted gold coin?

paper Ag and Au are a joke. holding a bunch of papers saying they own virtual gold doesnt help you. its a bit too late, in my opinion, to mess around with market gambling on this. we have other concerns and should just obtain the gold and start working on obtaining food, seeds, and supplies so we can sit back and relax with no panic, knowing we are prepared.

i havent purchased or looked at local coin dealers since i wouldnt want to have to pay sales tax. theres no sales tax over the internet, and, at least at tulving, the shipping is free if you buy the minimum amount. not that the shipping would be expensive anyway... last time i checked, they had some krugs, some kilo gold bars, and some small denomination gold eagles.

youll never find gold at spot at any online bullion site. theyve got to make some money. in the most rare instance, you might get close to spot if you stay glued to ebay and find a deal.

-- --------

keep in mind at all times... the gold you buy is for safeguarding assets in the long term. silver will probably be the item of trade... for food, for the most part. one might also consider cartons of cigarettes, vacuum sealed for trade. they might be as valuable or possible more valuable than gold if things get really bad. cigarette addicts will have wished they quit when they could.
bilderburger w/cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #102
Moonbaby
Avalon Senior Member

Bilderburger,

I second the recommendation for Tulving, they are reliable and premium over spot is in-line with the market. Please be aware that if you want to buy from Tulving, know what you want before you call (look at his website.) Hans Tulving is the 'soup-nazi' of precious metals. He is not interested in discussing the market, trends in precious metal prices, your children, etc...

I have dealt with APMEX for several tranacations and they are reliable. Also, I purchased from Gainsville coin, they too are reliable.

Be aware that the dealers all know how hard it is to get physical gold/silver. Their cost to buy has increased from the wholesaler and they too are charging a higher premium over spot. It is all a matter of supply and demand, when the supply is low the price should go up. But, it was pointed out that the markets are manipulating the price with 'paper-gold' to keep it artifically low. If you are in the market to sell gold bullion, you should receive something halfway between spot and the dealrs current selling price.

I had one experience that was not so good with California Numesmatics Inc. My order was 'lost' for about a week then I was told it would ship on a Wed. but it did not ship until the following Tues. Incorrect information is unacceptable when dealing with peoples money. I will avoid CNI for future transactions.

Peace
Moonbaby
Moonbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:30 PM   #103
polarsib
Avalon Senior Member

I been listening to George Green interviews.
He's been saying that it's hard to buy gold now and have to wait for a long time for delivery.

So I did my own reserch. I am a jeweler in Portland, OR. I buy gold to make jewelry. When I went to buy the gold, I asked about the gold coins. You don't have to wait to buy it. They have it availiable right now.

I have been making crop circle design gold pendents for customers too.
They want to have gold for future investment but also want to wear it.

Anybody have questions about buying gold, let me know.
polarsib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:48 AM   #104
Myplanet2
In The Mists

Here's a little something from George Ure (urbansurvival.com) that I copied from the mirror site ( http://www.independencejournal.com/today.htm )

You might want to be careful where you get your gold for the next few weeks. older stuff is probably preferable:

"Want in on a little something the time monks are willing to share publicly? OK, try this one on --- but remember, this is a probability only and may or may not happen as expected...so think in terms of it being a possibility only for now...

Ask yourself what would happen if a large financial entity - and it could be a private mint, an ETF, or something like that - was discovered in the next, oh, two or three weeks - to be holding a lot of counterfeit gold that was apparently made in China? Suppose further that the discovery happened during some kind of official audit process and that as word spread, it was discovered that not only were gold bars involved, but perhaps gold coins of recent vintage and maybe some involvement of silver as well. How would that work out?

Curiously, as I've been penciling it out over the weekend, it might initially send people scurrying to US Treasuries and it would drop the price of gold perhaps as low as $650-$700 before launching to $1,900 after the shortfall of real gold comes into focus...which is what Robin Landry's charts infer. It would also keep a lid on interest rates since Treasuries would be seen as an ideal safe haven. With all those treasury auctions to fund the bailout/printout festival, the flight of hedge managers from recently acquired metals would certainly keep rates low and these, in turn, could be seen as the reason for some confidence in financial markets returning until July 18th, or thereabout.

Of course, this is all only a possibility (although I find myself now wondering about Hillary's recent trip to China...was she there to warn them what our plans were and not to freak out?). Did I mention that a fraud discover in gold would do marvels for the US dollar's value in world markets? It would be a one-size solves all problems kind of solution - sort of like a mini War on Terror...a war on gold. Oh, and the leading edge of it seems to be showing in a Chinese counterfeiting story in Coin World, too...

We, we should know soon enough as this event is maybe three weeks (or longer) out - around the equinox - which is very close to the Martin Armstrong turn date...

So would a wild-eyed East Texas nutjob consider buying some gold commodity put options, which he'd roll into calls on a short-term spike/panic low and then ride gold toward $1,900? Who me?
---
Ah, but this is all highly - and I can't emphasize this too much - highly speculative stuff. Until it happens, of course."
Myplanet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:51 AM   #105
Surial
Avalon Senior Member

Wink Re: Buy Silver & Gold Right NOW!

In the past few days, I have been getting offers in the mail to buy collective gold coins of the presidents of the U.S.A. Has anyone else been getting this? It clearly says limited edition and these coins will not be available in the future. I keep throwing them in the recycle bin. Why is this becoming a new trend in my mail?
Surial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:49 AM   #106
NorthernSanctuary
Avalon Senior Member

Sounds like the Canadian gold coins are still good.

Mass Chinese Counterfeiting of American Gold and Silver Coins

http://www.tbrnews.org/Archives/a2921.htm#001

*snip*

With the collapsing American economy, many Americans are rushing to invest in gold; either coins or bar, and also silver. One of the most popular forms of this investment are American coins. Where there is a need, there is always someone to fill it and in this case, the filling consists of the massive counterfeiting of gold coins, silver coins, and even Swiss gold bars in China. Initially, it appeared they were only faking Morgan dollars, but then it turned out they were also making $20 Liberty, and Indian Head gold $2.50, $5, and $10 coins, of all dates. Evidently, this is extremely easy with today's computer-and-laser-die-cutting technology, and the fakes are being die-struck in vast quantities, not cast, and visually at least, are superb copies.

The good news is that these fakes are readily detectable with a 0.01 - gram scale, as the Chinese in their greed are using lower carats of gold and lower grades of silver than the genuine coins, to maximize profit, and thus, in most cases, the fake coins and bars are lighter than the real ones. In a few cases, the silver coins of high numismatic interest are actually OVER weight - it appears that the supply of accurate planchet stock is a major difficulty for the forgers.

Here are links to a two-part article about this in Coin World Magazine:

http://www.coinworldonline.com/count...feit%5F1%2Easp

http://www.coinworldonline.com/count...feit%5F2%2Easp

Note: They are even faking PCGS and ANACS slabs!!:

[http://www.coinworldonline.com/count...feit%5F3%2Easp

A friend who has an extremely wealthy friend in Europe (on the order of several hundreds of millions) asked this person to make enquiries at his bank. The bank told him candidly that indeed, the Chinese are also faking sovereigns, half sovereigns, French 20 Franc gold, and various denominations of Nicholas II Russian Rubles, of all dates, as well as Swiss gold bars. They said any gold bars they are offered for purchase are both weighed and the serial numbers checked with the manufacturers. The Chinese do not know the serial and manufacture date numbering systems on the gold bars, and so that error is quickly detectable.

The US Secret Service has just this week been made aware of this problem, which was new to them, and if they decide to launch an investigation, they have indicated that while they cannot do anything about the operations in China, they can, and will, seize any counterfeit US coins they come across. Dealers in these fakes would also be liable to fines and jail time. Foreign fakes are not under their purview, but if that business turns out to be substantial, there could conceivably be an FBI investigation of fraud in interstate commerce, targeting companies who are mail-ordering fake foreign coins. Individuals who have been cheated might also sue their suppliers - in short, this could turn into a huge mess.

General appearance aside, it is very easy it is to spot fakes - just with a scale reading to 1/00th of a gram, and a table of the correct weights and sizes of the coins or bars they are buying. (In the case of large-size bargold, unless buying from the manufacturer or a reputable bank, the serial numbers need to be verified, so that one does not buy a Chinese bar with a lead or mercury core)

Herewith a listing of what I have uncovered so far:

1; The U.S .Morgan silver dollar. All dates and all mint marks;

2: The U.S. gold coins viz the $2.50, $5.00 and $10.00 Indian head issues

3. The U.S. copper penny viz 1909 S vdb

4. Three gold Imperial Russian roubles from the reign of Nicholas II

5. A gold 20 franc coin with the head of Napoleon I on the obverse

6. The South African Krugerrand

7. British sovereigns and half sovereigns of different monarchs and dates

And in addition, they are also making fake gold bars from the Credit Suisse people.

It was always considered that numismatics as a relatively fraud-free area of collecting, but it appears that a coin collector today has to carry a digital scale around. This doesn't affect me very much, but I too have wondered at the sudden appearance of all the Morgan dollars. Fortunately, the ones I have came down to me from my grandfather, and I'll be very careful picking up individual pieces that fill blanks.

As for Krugerands and similar gold pieces that are traded for bullion prices, it is obvious that the Chinese have lowered the purity and thus debase the value; otherwise, a fake Krug would have as much gold as a real one.
NorthernSanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:00 PM   #107
chitty
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Shorz View Post
I wonder why Canada isn't having the same run on Metals as the US?
Scotia Bank in Canada I believe is the major gold player in canada. I was told by a teller at a main branch, whom by the way had been moved from her regular duties to handle precious metals only, that there has been a run on physical gold sine August 08. This was in October 08.
chitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #108
addalight
Avalon Senior Member

I was told about a 8 months ago to buy Canadian silver. I didn't know the reason why. Maybe this is one of the reasons. Thanks to all for your great info.
addalight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
silver gold sold out