Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Economy and Currency

Notices

Old 03-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Default Seven states see jobless rate top 10 percent

WASHINGTON (AP) -- More states logged double-digit unemployment rates in February, with North Carolina and Rhode Island seeing their rates hit record highs.
The U.S. Labor Department's report, released Friday, showed the terrible toll the recession, now in its second year, is having on workers and companies alike.

Seven states have unemployment rates that topped 10 percent last month. That's up from four states in January.

The U.S. unemployment rate, released earlier this month, rose to 8.1 percent in February, the highest in more than 25 years. Economists predict the national jobless rate will hit 10 percent by year end even if the recession were to end later this year as some hope.

Michigan's jobless rate climbed to 12 percent, the highest in the country. South Carolina registered the second-highest at 11 percent and Oregon came in third at 10.8 percent.

North Carolina came in fourth with an unemployment rate of 10.7 percent, the highest there on records dating back to 1976. California and Rhode Island tied for fifth place at 10.5 percent each. That was an all-time high for Rhode Island. The seventh state with a jobless rate above 10 percent was Nevada at 10.1 percent.

Georgia's unemployment rate rose sharply to 9.3 percent, also an all-time high.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Seven-...-14767936.html

So I did some figuring on my own using my 2006 Atlas and checking population figures. These are all rounded off figures.

Michigan = 10 million at 12% unemployed = 1,440,000

South Carolina = 4 million at 11% unemployed = 440,000

North Carolina = 8.5 million at 10.7% unemployment = 909,500

Oregon = 3.5 million at 10.8% unemployment = 378,000

California = 35 million at 10.5% unemployment = 3,675,000

Rhode Island = 1 million at 10.5% unemployment = 105,000

Nevada = 2 million at 10.1% unemployment = 202,000

And Georgia = 8.5 million at 9.3% unemployment = 790,500

So the total people unemployed in just 8 states is = 7,900,000

That's basically 8 million people in just 8 states!!!!!! That's serious!!!!
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
pyrangello
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Seven states see jobless rate top 10 percent

Hey D62, you better add another 10 % on those totals, When the Clintons were in office they reformulated the calculation basis and changed the way to count the unemployed, In the american free press I read last night the U.S. unemployment rate today should be using the old formulation that was used since the 30's be at 17% nationwide as of today.

My guess from all I have read and watched on TV, Elkhart Indiania is probably at close to 28%, In the one area in the state of Oregon it is about 30%, and where the DHL hub in willmington Ohio that closed down , I thought I heard almost 50%.

I had a salesguy come in my office yesterday , let go after 12 years from a steel warehouse , he said they let go of 16 out of 26 employees and still didn't know if they were gonna make it.

I also have a house right next door to me that was repo'd for 106k , sat empty for 1 year, they just sold it for 25k.

It sounds to me the current unemployment #'s are like the CPI of the states(consumer price index) MISLEADING!
pyrangello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Oh I'm sure the figures are much higher and should be refigured but I guess we can look at this as a minimum figure, and probably could almost double it! This really pi..ses me off to no end because I'm trying to find a job during all this s...t! Yeah North Dakota and South Dakota and Wyoming have low unemployment figures but who wants to live there?, out in the middle of nowhere! There is some nice areas in Wyoming but nothing in the Dakotas.
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:50 AM   #4
Egg
Banned

Being jobless and broke makes a person vulnerable to rapid change and their lack of ability to prepare seems to be a pre-planned gambit by the powers that be.

Millions will rely on the PTB for food, and what will people do for food? almost anything. Scary isn't it?
Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:17 AM   #5
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

In VT, the unemployment rate is hovering just under 8% but I could be wrong. Regardless, I don't know how much higher it can go. I can only think of two people that I know that are jobless and IBM just laid off 200 people and will probably let go of more. I have several friends that lost their jobs there after many years and they are still bitter.

My job is "safe" but who knows? UVM has laid off people and I have a feeling that their President is one of TPTB's scumbags. He certainly would rather keep his six figure salary and preserve the six figure salaries of 40 Vice-Presidents. That's right, 40 Vice Presidents! For an university of only 10,000 students, that's too much. Before he showed up, there weren't that many. It's all manufactured crisis and completely unnecessary. Those at the top will not let go of their creature comforts and the rest of us suffer as a result.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
alyscat
Avalon Senior Member

HJ, that doesn't include people who are underemployed (i.e., executives flipping burgers at Mickey Ds) or people who have been unemployed so long that they've lost hope/benefits and are no longer showing up to look for work.

I'm betting the figures are much higher than 8%

Keep focusing on your summer of love, because we're going to need all the positive input we can get. These kind of figures feed the opposite.
alys
alyscat is offline   Reply With Quote