Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Health / Alternative Medicine

Notices

Old 09-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

Default Juicer, does anyone use one??

Hi all

This is not a **** take, I genuinely want to ask this question:

Does anyone here use a juicer as part or all of there daily health plan?
Does anyone know if the benefits are real?

I ask as I have read of the vibrational tune of fresh fruit and veg that are live and not cooked, I think they call it "Raw food", is benefitial to health, reduces an acid system to an alcaline and thus reduces risks of cancer, even reverse high bloodpreasure and diabeties.

Your input is appreciated.

Ammit
Ammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Default Re: Juicer, does anyone use one??

I have one but had forgotten about it, must get it out again.
Apple and carrot is yummy
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammit View Post
Hi all

This is not a **** take, I genuinely want to ask this question:

Does anyone here use a juicer as part or all of there daily health plan?
Does anyone know if the benefits are real?

I ask as I have read of the vibrational tune of fresh fruit and veg that are live and not cooked, I think they call it "Raw food", is benefitial to health, reduces an acid system to an alcaline and thus reduces risks of cancer, even reverse high bloodpreasure and diabeties.

Your input is appreciated.

Ammit

There is no finer drink that freshly juiced "stuff".

We use a juicer, and have had a good one for many years that has started to squeak!

Looking around we see that the good ones have gone up a lot in price but the quality at the high end is immense.

You need one that operates slowly and squeezes the food hard - not the high speed centrifugal types that tears it to peices! Both are good, but the slow ones are better.

I am mystified as to why anyone could even think that the question was a **** take!

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:21 PM   #4
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks Anchor, believe me I have had that said while asking people realtime.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:44 PM   #5
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

I have a juicer, but since I am not Karen Kitchen, by the time I get a glass of juice and get all the mess cleaned up I'm sure the stress has nullified the good effect of the juice 10 times over. I also don't have a place where I can leave it set up as this is not my house.

All the foods have wonderful medicinal properties. 2 stalks of celery a day can lower blood pressure to normal. The active ingredient is that pungent taste in the celery. Anything red seems to have great effects in shrinking tumors - beets, bloodroot, raspberry ... I think the colors in the produce are some of the most beneficial molecules. Yes, the vibrational quality of raw, live food is a plus. There are also some advantages to cooked foods - look to Traditional Chinese Medicine - there is a balance.

Wild food is said to have additional energies not found in cultivated food.

Vine-ripened is very important and you won't find much of that in a grocery store. This is one of the great benefits of having your own garden - you do not pick until the peak of ripeness when added nutrients are pulled into the fruit.

Berries are a favorite of mine for the dark purple, blue, and red pigments.
Most of the modern hybridzed fruit has way too much sugar, so it is better to go with mostly juicing veges.

1.5 cups of blueberries a day are said to reverse age-related declines in motor skills and cognitive function.

I Have a large book called
The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods by Michael T. Murray, JOSEPH PIZZORNO, and Lara Pizzorno http://tinyurl.com/komp6u
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Karen

I understand where you are coming from with wild food, as a bushcrafter I often eat Dandelion for stomache upsets and love to eat Nettles with scrambled egg, you will be running around like a loop on too much of that. I use Cayenne pepper for colds and flue, also for a rear problem lower down, works fantasicly.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:17 AM   #7
waitinginthewings
Avalon Senior Member

Karen you pretty much has said it all.

Juicing is the best thing you can do for your body. Not only does it cleanse and balance you but it actually raises your vibration. I know this, because some years ago I practiced this. I was flying so high, that I felt my body would actually lift off the ground at times.

So yes......if you feel drawn to this....go ahead and do it. Just go organic.
waitinginthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:17 AM   #8
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

So , do you go all juicer or half juicer and half cooked?. I can manage without most meat, I do however enjoy my fish so would be hard pushed to give that up. Is it a good idea to eat normally every now and then because I have heard your body forgets to digest properly when not getting SOLID foods.

Any ideas on which mixtures taste better?

Thanks
Old 09-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
swordsmith
Unsubscribed

Hi Ammit, just try it out gradually, and if you do not have a well stocked garden, let your budget be your guide, usually that means affordable is whatever is in season, and that seems to be best for the body, too.

To make juice enjoyable it has to have a base flavour you like, for most this is either carrot and/ or apple, unless you are avoiding fruit sugar (both are very sweet.) I make all kinds of mixtures but you could start with a few apples, maybe some celery and a beet , with or without carrot or using carrot instead of apple. I usually grow parsley and add this to most mixtures as it is very high in Vit C and minerals if organically grown. For almost all juice mixtures I add a small chunk of ginger and about a quarter of a lemon, skin and all, these really make it zingy .

If you want to get medicinal about juicing,( which can be less palatable, but not always) there are quite a few books on juicing either in the library or to be browsed in bookstores, plus the internet.
Karen is right , colour is a big factor in the healing benefits so it is nice to see pictures and observe which ones look most appealing, it may be what you are missing is what you feel drawn to.

I don't think you should make it an either /or thing with juice versus solid veg and fruits. We do still need roughage and it does consume a lot of vegetables yeilding a fairly small amount of juice, so it is also expensive. Now there's the juicer cost itself... I had a cheap centrifigal one for years, and you can buy these second hand often, it ranks up there with the footspa for ubiquitous items in charity shops, even boot fairs. It may be a good way to see if you like it... and the clean up.

I eventually caved in and bought a better one and it was the cheapest of the big money ones, a Samson gear juicer, it seems to do the job.
Check it out on the net if you are interested, but I bought mine at a mind/body/wallet show and it was on sale... still not cheap.

Last edited by swordsmith; 09-22-2009 at 09:14 AM.
swordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks Swordsmith

I hear this ( the cleanup ) alot concerning juicers, I understand that anything used gets dirty and need cleaning but is there something im missing, and if cleaning is a major chore then can the unit be used to produce the entire days juice requirements, thus leaving only one clean a day?
Old 09-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #11
swordsmith
Unsubscribed

If you clean it up right away it is not so bad, if you leave it sitting there then it gets a bit sticky, hey if you leave it overnight on a hot day you get FUR !
The thing about fresh juice is the benefits dissipate minutes from juicing so the point is to drink it NOW. You can even see the colour change very quickly if you leave it, even in the fridge.
I think the better juicers are maybe easier to clean, just do it before the pieces swell in the grinding mechanism.
Cheers!
swordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #12
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

People have different opinions, but I'd have to say the freshest squeezed is the bestest.

Mine is something like twin gear Green Machine so it can do the parsley and wheatgrass, which the grater/spinner type can't do. It's not exactly fun or easy to clean, but then I don't care for the kitchen work. I like research! It might take 5-10 minutes to brush all the pulp out of the various pieces.

You can do a whole day's worth or even 2 day's worth. The enemy of the fresh juices is oxygen. Use glass jars with lids and fill them to the very top. Some people even freeze various juices in ice cube trays and stuff like that. Even frozen it must be a zilllion times better than packaged fast food!!!

Oh and the alkalizing effects, yes many say that acid tissues are a host to diseases. As we age the acid builds up, and even robs calcium from the bones to buffer the acid in the blood, because the blood must stay in a very tight pH range. The green leafies are great alkalizers, and one of the best is wheat grass. Charts are all over the internet. I was told Kale is very healthy to juice.

I think Weston A Price was the most brilliant as far as nutrition.
http://westonaprice.org
He studied healthy groups of people in the 1930's and found a vast range of dietary practices. The key was eating from the land they lived on and nearby waters. The Swiss had mostly milk soured into yogurt and they highly revered the cream. The Masi (sp?) in Africa ate no vegetation at all. The most balanced and robust was a Gaelic people who ate mainly fish and oats. The real evil when these people went off their native diets was the "foods of civilization" - the canned, processed, refined and devitalized "foods of commerce."

Fermented foods are another category sorely missing from most diets today. The refrigerator was one of the worst inventions health wise. Before the refrigerator fermentation was one of the main methods of preservation of food.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:11 AM   #13
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

Well I as yet do not have a juicer so my liquidizer is working for me, and so far today I have had a smoothie, for want of a better word. This contained: Pear, orange, Plum, Tomato and beetroot. Breakfast done....

I am hoping to make my own recipes to include the vits and mins needed on a dayly basis, This little lot contained:
vit c, vit a, potasium, phosphorus, maganese, magnesium, folate, folic acid, sodium, calcium and vit b.

Much healthier then the wifes choice of bacon and egg, lol, but christ hers smelt better.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #14
Vidya Moksha
Avalon Senior Member

I have a hand juicer which does wheatgrass no problem, and it was cheap (10% the price of an electric one, around £30 if memory serves) and it is incredibly easy to take apart and clean, running under the tap is good enough usually.
I do find wheatgrass juice gives me a real lift in energy terms. I also juice all manner of fresh organic veg with it.
I was following the liver cleanse thread on here and did that too. Part of the process is an enema. I read that wheatgrass juice makes a great enema too i mixed spring water, wheatgrass juice, aloe vera and Flaxseed oil for an enema after first doing a straight water enema. My skin still feels good!
Vidya Moksha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:06 PM   #15
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Always wanted to juice but worried it'll interfere with mms due to vit c.

That and I still don't have a juicer.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #16
Vidya Moksha
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Janitor View Post
Always wanted to juice but worried it'll interfere with mms due to vit c.

That and I still don't have a juicer.
i do both. i avoid fruit anyway and mostly juice veggies and wheatgrass. anyway MMS and apples (and many others) are ok.

I am too lazy to juice as often as i should, i suppose that would be the advantage of an electric juicer. I like the hand juicer but there is a time element and I seem to be running around doing other stuff at the moment.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:23 PM   #17
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

Well tonight i dont exactly feel hungry, more like i have a slight belly ache. There are a lot of stomache bugs around here so might be that , then again could be the change in diet?.

Very unusual not to have a normal meal with my family or that I cooked but need to shed some of this weight, so I am gonna try.

Lets see what the next few days bring.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #18
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammit View Post
Well tonight i dont exactly feel hungry, more like i have a slight belly ache. There are a lot of stomache bugs around here so might be that , then again could be the change in diet?.

Very unusual not to have a normal meal with my family or that I cooked but need to shed some of this weight, so I am gonna try.

Lets see what the next few days bring.

Just a word of caution. It is tempting to do a whole lot of "purification" at once and the body will start to flush toxins. The rate at which this happens can be quite inconvenient if you do to many things at once.

Eating less will obviously cause you to loose weight, but recognize that the body does take the opportunity to lock up toxins in fat tissue. Loose weight and you have to deal with that extra load.

Drink plenty of water during your various purification processes and dont rush it! If you can make use of your intuition and set a pace that doesnt make you feel ill.

I have learned from my own errors. The classic for me - doing a course of MMS treatment and then thinking I could do a 24hr water fast at the same time. I am sure I cleared a lot of stuff out my body, but it was not a pleasant way to do it if you catch my drift.

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:36 PM   #19
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

I actually researched it and learned what i could from the good folks here, I would never starve myself or push things too far to do what I want weight wise that is.

All i have done is cut the fat all day, more fruit ( all be it liquidised ) more greens instead of chocolate and ****. The only vits i was lacking for my daily dose was b6 and b12, A nice fresh fish salad hopefully cured that and extra omega 3 to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Just a word of caution. It is tempting to do a whole lot of "purification" at once and the body will start to flush toxins. The rate at which this happens can be quite inconvenient if you do to many things at once.

Eating less will obviously cause you to loose weight, but recognize that the body does take the opportunity to lock up toxins in fat tissue. Loose weight and you have to deal with that extra load.

Drink plenty of water during your various purification processes and dont rush it! If you can make use of your intuition and set a pace that doesnt make you feel ill.

I have learned from my own errors. The classic for me - doing a course of MMS treatment and then thinking I could do a 24hr water fast at the same time. I am sure I cleared a lot of stuff out my body, but it was not a pleasant way to do it if you catch my drift.

A..
Old 09-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #20
Vidya Moksha
Avalon Senior Member

Be Careful with all the misinformation about fat. Eating the right fat is good for you, and eating fat NEVER makes you fat, NEVER, its a myth put out by the food industry, selling you rubbish 'low fat' food that will make you fat. (cos it contans lots of sugar).
From what I think i know, we all have a predetermined number of fat cells in the body...these increase or decrease in size, but not number, depending on your diet.
What makes you fat is 'sugar', actually all carbohydrates..i think i am right in saying ONLY sugars make you fat, but people will disagree with me.
However, I put on weight when i eat carbs and fruit (full of sugar) and i lose weight when i restrict my carbohydrate intake.
I did an experiment once where i only ate 20g of carbohydrates per day, BUT purposely overate veg and eggs..i lost 1 kg per day...

I had a table of % carbohydrate which i dont use anymore, i have rough guides in my head. so raw sugar is 100% carb, rice is 80%, pasta i forget 40-80%, white bread is high, wholemeal bread is 40%...i cut ALL of these out of my diet completely. Milk is high and should be avoided, cream is low and yummy!

If i want to lose weight I eat 20g carbs per day....so eg potatoes are approx 10% carbs, so 200g potatoes is the limit etc...i do this until i am the weight i want to be then i slowly add carbs to my diet until i start to gain weight again, then cut back slightly and I stick at that..i would say most people can eat 40-60g carbs per day and not gain weight. 20g per day and you will lose weight.

as a rough rule cream, mushrooms, eggs and cheese have 0% carbs and you can eat as much as you want. most non root veggies are 5% carbs, i ignore these in my calculations, root veggies are approx 10% carbs . Nuts 5% carbs, great to snack, good protein energy.

Fruit is usually 15% + carbs, i limit my intake. yoghurt is 5%,

Make sense...? there is a really good book from Rose Elliot called 'The Vegetarian Low Carb Diet: The Fast, No-hunger Weight Loss Diet for Vegetarians'..highly recommended, even if u eat meat.

bacon and eggs for tha carnivores is a great way to lose weight.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #21
Karen
Project Avalon Organizer

Fat also helps you feel full longer so that you desire to eat less. I totally agree with the wrong-headed fat propaganda and that it is carbs that make you fat.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #22
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

I have to be honest here and say " i always believed fats were unhealthy", but what you both say makes some sense, I have not given up fat as i still have butter, an olive oil dressing on my salad a duck egg per day( boiled).
Meat is something i dont think i could find easy to remove from my life style, i just try to process fresh meat myself without the shops added rubbish mixed in.

Im into day 2 now and feel quite good , my ibs has settled beyond belief, my other lower rear problem has virtually gone, although i have cured that one over 7 days anyway.

Many thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Ammit
Old 09-23-2009, 09:45 PM   #23
Connecting with Sauce
Avalon Senior Member

I bought one of these based on the recommendation of an excellent cancer nutritionalist when we were doing the Gerson Therapy for my late Dad. I wish I'd known about the liver flush detox then... you learn things on this journey.

The pulp which comes out of a good masticating juicer is almost dry and the other option is to press the last part of the juice out of the pulp wit one of these or something similar...

Every so often I have a good juice and make sure I have some fresh juice.

Oneradionetwork is one of the best locations on the web for good health info I find...
Connecting with Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #24
Vidya Moksha
Avalon Senior Member

mine is the same mechanism except the motor - mine just needs elbow grease adding now and again
http://www.thesuperfoodco.co.uk/easy...5949eb946f0b09
cant do fancy html links sorry lol, i rate these hand juicers highly, and the price is amazing too.