Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Economy and Currency

Notices

Old 06-11-2009, 05:58 AM   #1
Dantheman62
Avalon Senior Member

Default Australian jobless rate at 7-year high 5.7 percent

Australia's jobless rate rises to 7-year high of 5.7 percent as companies cut workers.

On Thursday June 11, 2009, 12:08 am EDT

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) -- Australia's unemployment rate rose to a seven-year high of 5.7 percent in May, government figures showed Thursday, reflecting job cuts at companies amid the slump.

"We've always said we were not immune from the global recession," said Employment Minister Julia Gillard, which said the increase was in line with market expectations.

The government predicted last month that the unemployment rate will peak at 8.5 percent in mid-2011, leaving 1 million people looking for work. In April, the jobless rate unexpectedly fell to 5.5 percent.

A survey released Wednesday showed Australian consumers swung from pessimism to optimism for the first time in 17 months after the economy avoided slipping into recession in the first quarter.

The Westpac-Melbourne Institute index of consumer sentiment posted its biggest increase in 22 years in June, leaping to 100.1 points from 88.8 from May. A reading above 100 means optimists outnumber pessimists.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Austra...-15496659.html
Dantheman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Neo
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Australian jobless rate at 7-year high 5.7 percent

Yep I am one of the 5.7% and that really is a understated figure. Out of the 30 or 40 jobs I've applied for already, only one actually got back to me to say that I didnt get the job. I guess its the same in most places now.

The government and media is doing everything they can to make everyone believe the economy is improving
This is purely to keep everyone cruising along with the status quo until the economy truly falls apart.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote