Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 11-15-2008, 10:00 PM   #1
Hekkup
Avalon Senior Member

Default start farming

If you are not yet farming, start it now in the next summer. Would be good. You can ask your local town/city council about a garden if you don't have your own land. In Finland it's possible to rent 10x10m areas for cheap price from the technical centres of the city councils. The places are ordinary fields near and inside of the city. You can rent several pieces of land if you want.

If there are no such places available in your city, you can ask the council to create them -- they would just plow the area in the spring and mark the areas with numbers. If the city council won't do it, do some political campaign to start it. The best would be to go to ask about it right now, so that they can think about how to implement such a system if there is not yet something like that.

In Finland the price for such 10x10m garden is 12 EUR for one summer -- not bad at all.

2,5 ares (are = 10x10m) is enough for one person's vegetarian food production for one year (in Finland -- more to south it's more efficient naturally), but then if you want to be completely self-sufficient with food you have to pick up all the berries and mushrooms you can + do some fishing.

Okay... take care everyone. I hope good common sense and good will for politicians in this and all matters, both local and higher level politicians!! Please also spread this message!
Hekkup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
Gnosis5
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: start farming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekkup View Post
If you are not yet farming, start it now in the next summer. Would be good. You can ask your local town/city council about a garden if you don't have your own land. In Finland it's possible to rent 10x10m areas for cheap price from the technical centres of the city councils. The places are ordinary fields near and inside of the city. You can rent several pieces of land if you want.

If there are no such places available in your city, you can ask the council to create them -- they would just plow the area in the spring and mark the areas with numbers. If the city council won't do it, do some political campaign to start it. The best would be to go to ask about it right now, so that they can think about how to implement such a system if there is not yet something like that.

In Finland the price for such 10x10m garden is 12 EUR for one summer -- not bad at all.

2,5 ares (are = 10x10m) is enough for one person's vegetarian food production for one year (in Finland -- more to south it's more efficient naturally), but then if you want to be completely self-sufficient with food you have to pick up all the berries and mushrooms you can + do some fishing.

Okay... take care everyone. I hope good common sense and good will for politicians in this and all matters, both local and higher level politicians!! Please also spread this message!
My hubbie is Finnish and I had the privilege of visiting there once. Because Finland has long winters how did the Finnish people traditionally preserve their foods? Do Finnish people make sauerkraut?

best,
Gnosis
Gnosis5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
ghglenn
Avalon Senior Member

If you are limited on space, might want to google:
"Square Foot Gardening". It is a method of optimizing the space
you have to plant your crops in.
ghglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:52 AM   #4
conaire
Avalon Senior Member

great thread.

thank you.

with all the talk of food shortages that are a'comming, growing our own food is the cleaver, proactive thing to do. i'm going to email my local government now. even a small plot, even one vegetable. just start, see how it goes.

bon appetite.
conaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
sunshineseastar
Avalon Senior Member

thanks for the info....that is a great idea to get in some good practice.....also you can grow sprouts.....grows all year.....you can survive on them......just takes a little practice......but its something you can start today!!!!!!!!
sunshineseastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #6
Pleiadian
Avalon Senior Member

Just a sanity check ..

One should start farming to become self-sufficient? Live off the land? So that when things begin to happen you can still provide for yourself? You have control over what you grow and what goes into it?
Pleiadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:06 PM   #7
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleiadian View Post
Just a sanity check ..

One should start farming to become self-sufficient? Live off the land? So that when things begin to happen you can still provide for yourself? You have control over what you grow and what goes into it?
I definitely agree and want to do this sometime.
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:16 PM   #8
Pleiadian
Avalon Senior Member

so has anyone considered how well you will need to protect your crops?

i would imagine that hundreds if not thousands of people will be out on the prowl looking for food, water etc. ... stealing, killing etc. for survival.

anyone ever considered this aspect?
Pleiadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:52 PM   #9
Operator
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:

i would imagine that hundreds if not thousands of people will be out on the prowl looking for food, water etc. ... stealing, killing etc. for survival.

That's why you need a 'radiant zone' ...
I don't understand the name though .... operators want their 'zone' to radiate as less as possible !

Cheers
Operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:51 AM   #10
bilderburger w/cheese
Avalon Senior Member

if anyone has any information about growing plants on a windowsill indoors, that would help a lot of those (like me) who dont have a backyard.

by the way, how ya doin`, operator. : )
bilderburger w/cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:11 AM   #11
Hekkup
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:

The more there are plants growing, the less this happens. It should be the goal for everyone to grow some food, so that there would not be the need to go stealing in the first place. There is huge opportunity and need for political campaigning for the need of food production right now. Even if it sounds a bit crazy, but still. It will turn out to be most sensible thing in not so long time.

And about protecting the crops... Yes, I think it will still be inevitable in reality that stealing will take place... but I think that if someone kills me because of my crops, then at least there still is more plants growing... and thus the world is a bit better place for the remaining people... You know, we can add the radiance of the whole world by contributing to farming in very bad times.
Hekkup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:12 AM   #12
munkey
Avalon Senior Member

Location: just outside the box next to the box you where thinking outside of

Quote:

That was the first thing that crossed my mind, the larger your crop, the bigger target you are.
human morality and compassion go out the window in time of dispare.

I would not discourage anyone from growing their own food and collecting their own seeds, just be aware that in time of hardship, people will target you for food, even if you only have enough for your own family.
munkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:48 AM   #13
Operator
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekkup View Post
The more there are plants growing, the less this happens. It should be the goal for everyone to grow some food, so that there would not be the need to go stealing in the first place.
Hi Hekkup,

I think you are right ...
Although I am in an almost naturally 'radiant zone' I'd like to think further than service to self ...
One of the ideas to get more food growing is by sharing ! I want to start lots of seedlings and hand them out after a short kind
of speech about how to grow food on primary schools ...

It is actually very efficient because I am reducing waste as well (see below).
And here's a tip for Bilderburger w/cheese (and others):

You can take the 'egg carrying cartons' (sorry don't know the right word for this) as base for sprouting the seedlings.
Also for when they grow bigger you can use all kinds of used cans. Make sure you punch or drill a few holes in the bottom
to allow excess water to drain.
If you use glass pots be aware not to drown your plants (can't drill holes).

You can use the glass pots and lids to store and sort your seeds.
When I have time this week I'll try to make some pictures to show you some examples.

Cheers

Last edited by Operator; 11-17-2008 at 05:04 AM.
Operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:37 AM   #14
Lance
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkey View Post
That was the first thing that crossed my mind, the larger your crop, the bigger target you are.
human morality and compassion go out the window in time of dispare.

I would not discourage anyone from growing their own food and collecting their own seeds, just be aware that in time of hardship, people will target you for food, even if you only have enough for your own family.

A good argument for Permaculture. Most people assume that a 'crop' looks like something they are familiar with. Hide your harvest with hardy perennials and change your diet. Who here would know a mashua from a nasturtium?

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=1398&page=67
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
farming, food, land, politics