Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
pablo
Avalon Senior Member

Default Time to liberate our computers in a massive way

Hi all,
My name is Pablo, im from Buenos Aires,
some poeple call me Cygnus

I am in condition to rebuild a Linux distribution for free to all avalon users, ( a powerfull desktop based on Debian Linux ) with all the needed tools to navigate securely, download videos, and stay tuned without viruses, or NSA keys inside our computers.

I offer this for free as a contribution to many groups ( Asthar Command group, some reptilian resistan movements around the web ) but seems to be that no one is interested. This is a "pulse of energy" inside of me, an inner word saying to me "build a remaster for the lightworkers", so here it is again.

The system will be ready in 15 days, the only thing i need for help is some mirrors to alocate the iso image for download and spread the .torrent file.

The system is legal, open source, and easy to use.

The name is : Vega

Regards
P.
pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Time to liberate our computers in a massive way

This is not "off topic", I have moved it to Preparations

Thanks I look forward to giving it a spin.

A..
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
dddanieljjjamesss
Avalon Senior Member

How easy will it be to use for people who aren't great with computers?
I mean, the farthest thing I've done is operate bootcamp on my mac... messed with ubuntu a little bit, but I hear Linux and automatically feel like it's unfamiliar territory.

Definitely interested though.
dddanieljjjamesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
truthseekerdan
Avalon Senior Member

Pablo, and how do we know that you are not working for NSA?

JK, That will be a great OS to run on a PC (I'm familiar w/Ubuntu myself).

Thanks, Gracias
truthseekerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
Mercuriel
Avalon Senior Member

Question Re: Time to liberate our computers in a massive way

I am interested in this Platform as well for Security and Preparedness reasons. Could You please give a likely scenario of how We would get it - Get it Up and Running - Then use it as effectively as We do now with Windows (Or Winblows as a Friend of Mine used to call It). Just flesh it out more for Us.

Please understand that what I think You're seeing in large part from the Lightworker Community or those You've offered It to is that - Once again on purpose with TPTB - They have most of Us pretty familiar with Windows and nothing else. That said - If People are familiar with another OS - Its usually Apple...

Now what I'm trying to elucidate here is that a lot of Us would likely use it if We new how to, or at least how to go about getting ready to use It.

Like - How is Installation/Migration of existing Software (Anti-Virus, Apps, Multimedia, etc.) affected in Linux.

Most Peeps hear Linux and They start thinking Server Apps. Not as a Personal PC option. I know thats kind of wrong but what I'm getting at here is perhaps Peeps need to be shown VIA Logical Discourse by someone such as Yourself, how to go about doing what You've already suggested.

That being - Switching to Linux...

Last edited by Mercuriel; 02-23-2010 at 01:26 AM.
Mercuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
mudra
Avalon Spiritual Mother

Warm welcome in Avalon Pablo.
You offer is sure interesting.
Thanks for doing this .
If this can help everyone then it's a real blessing.
Keep us informed .
Would be good to have some people versed in computers here discussing this with you .
Stargazer .. Majorion.. Gareth .. Gaialove ... ??

Love Always
mudra
mudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseekerdan View Post
You dont and you should not assume otherwise. No offense meant to pablo, but one should always be extremely careful with material like this.

It has the potential to be a very good thing, but that wont stop careful people running it up in a quarantined environment first and doing a fair bit of analysis before green lighting it. I would expect pablo to expect that caution.

By the same token - do you trust all the Microsoft security patches - what are the chances that MS dont have ties with the NSA, or Skype's founders - the list goes on.

For a while security technology was classified as a weapon, certain encryption technology was prohibited export from the USA. Recently its all OK even the previously "too secure for public use" 128 bit strength symetric encryption - now it's not a problem - why ? - because despite established theory - common sense suggests that it must no longer a threat - why ? It simply must be crackable using some kind of non-public aware technology.

All the smoke and mirrors around prohibition was simply to make you think that it was so secure even the Government was afraid of it! I call BS on that. I never trusted it or any "Federally appproved" security technology.

A..

Last edited by Anchor; 02-22-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:11 PM   #8
sunnyrap
Avalon Senior Member

Pablo, I've put Linux on some of my machines and really like it, but I also have to have Windows to do the kind of work I do. My problem has been getting Linux to work with our Windows-based Linksys Router. Just can't seem to make it let the Linux machines log on along with the Windows machines as a single work group using our security... Any suggestions?
sunnyrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
aroundthetable
Avalon Senior Member

Having recently listened to a very interesting radio programme by a very knowledgeable computer buff ( sorry cant remember name of his blog right now) I am very interested in the Linux system.

Two questions (maybe stupid ones)

I have windows on comp, so can i download and use linux on the same comp?

and also, we can already download linux ubuntu for free direct from them, so what is different about your system?

Last edited by aroundthetable; 02-23-2010 at 01:45 PM.
aroundthetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #10
eMonkey
Avalon Senior Member

It is best you download direct and install your self.

The one I go for is Kubuntu, but there are a few other different flavours also available from Ubuntu. I prefer the KDE interface - hence Kubuntu. The standard Ubuntu distro is with the Gnome interface.

It is my humble opinion that Ubuntu installation is QUITE EASY and straight forward.

Caveat: although the open-source community works hard to include drivers for the most popular hardware, your installation may not be so perfect if you use some obscure Video/Network/Sound/Printer devices.

Then there is the 32/64 bit issue. sometimes it is still better to go for the 32 bit environment. I have both installed and use 32bit for software development under Eclipse as there are no 64bit plugins for the stuff I work on. There is no percievable difference in speed between the two that I notice. It is your call. If you run virtual machines, perhaps 64bit is better. Horses for courses. To help you decide, and as with all software, some thought as to what the software will be doing for you will be needed.

Encryption is something else. I agree that most of the common encryption has pretty much been a trivial issue to the security agencies for some time now and is an avenue for you to really explore separately. Therefore, this should not be a deciding factor in your choice of O.S. However, generally it can be said that Linux is inherently less vulnerable to Hacking and Virus attacks. In addition, Virus writers go for the easier low hanging fruit - Windows.

That said, I still use Windows too....

Make you decision, but do avoid pre-built offers from people you do not know. This forum is an ideal place for predators and I do not suggest in the slightest that the offer is not genuine and may well be. I do suggest however, some common sense.

Choose wisely grasshopper.
eMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #11
aroundthetable
Avalon Senior Member

Thank emonkey but most of that is latin to me, im just your average comp user, but i would like to support an alternative to the big two, mac and microsoft, without losing the useability.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
eMonkey
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundthetable View Post
i would like to support an alternative to the big two, mac and microsoft, without losing the useability.

Useability is subjective - ask yourself what are my requirements?
Web surfing, word processing, etc. All of these, linux can offer with free software.

Yes, co-existence is entirely possible.
1. You can install with Wubi under windows (run windows and insert the linux CD for options) - which can install onto a windows partion or onto your windows drive. It will ask you how much space you want to allocate for Linux.

2. You can boot and install from the CD to a dedicated partion if you have enough disk space. In some instances, it is possible to rearrange the space on the existing partions to make room. The default arrangement is that Linux will wipe the disk and re-allocate all of it for linux as it is assumed linux will be the only OS installed and it will be on a new machine, but instead, you need then to do a custom install for your needs to preserve your windows setup.

Once installed, you will then see a new boot manager (usually called GRUB) at boot time where you can select the O.S. you want to boot from.

Installing through windows offers a safer experience till you get used to it. You can later migrate the Wubi installation to a full partion rather than occupying file space on your windows drive.

I really suggest you go to the site and read the wherefores of installation. It is a learning curve and is in you best interests to learn yourself. I was like you at one point. I had no clue about Linux. I purchased several distro's over the last 15 years Red-Hat and Suse and could not get on with any of them. I ended up literally getting into a rage stamping up and down on the CD's and binning them. Lately, I grabbed the bull by the horns, read the web pages, and started to understand a little more. I am self taught and just and ordinary person.

I think if you are not prepared to think and learn a little on your needs and requirements of what will be demanded from you as a user, perhaps you are better off staying with windows.

Last edited by eMonkey; 02-23-2010 at 02:20 PM.
eMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
aroundthetable
Avalon Senior Member

emonkey qoute..I ended up literally getting into a rage stamping up and down on the CD's and binning them.

Lol, thanks for the info and your time.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #14
pablo
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseekerdan View Post

JK, That will be a great OS to run on a PC (I'm familiar w/Ubuntu myself).

Thanks, Gracias

ull need to follow ur instinct in spite of this, i removed all mono runtime packages from the system, to avoid some "dangerous" code.
good! ull have a nice work to promote the desktop

regards
P.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:53 PM   #15
pablo
Avalon Senior Member

Ok, seems to be a lot of interest ok here we go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuriel View Post
I am interested in this Platform as well for Security and Preparedness reasons. Could You please give a likely scenario of how We would get it - Get it Up and Running - Then use it as effectively as We do now with Windows (Or Winblows as a Friend of Mine used to call It). Just flesh it out more for Us.

Quote:

remaster a technology is one thing, propagate it another, its a work for a community. all the information of how to download, burn into a cd or a usb bootable pendrive will be available, i prepared that stuff for this reason, to make it simple, with videos more than text, to make it more easyly to install
Please understand that what I think You're seeing in large part from the Lightworker Community or those You've offered It to is that - Once again on purpose with TPTB - They have most of Us pretty familiar with Windows and nothing else. That said - If People are familiar with another OS - Its usually Apple...

Quote:

The setting has been adecuated to windows users, windows common interface and windows style mangaement, to make it more simple than a traditional linux desktop. All codecs, dvd rippers, and apps are chosen carefully to replace each app in windows, including the capability to run some windows applications inside the system, like photoshop or MS office itself, even thought i dont recommend it, but the capability is present.

Now what I'm trying to elucidate here is that a lot of Us would likely use it if We new how to, or at least how to go about getting ready to use It.

Quote:
as i said, will be TUTORIALS to explain how to install, use and manage, the rest depends on the effort of everyone.
Like - How is Installation/Migration of existing Software (Anti-Virus, Apps, Multimedia, etc.) affected in Linux.

Quote:
u can work with linux and windows in the same computer, with a dual boot choose menu, this will let you work with both systems while u migrate, all the files ( doc, xls, mp3, divx, h264, etc, will be 100% compatible )

In linux we dont need antivirus, and we dont need "maintenaince" as an open source software, its designed in another way.
Most Peeps hear Linux and They start thinking Server Apps. Not as a Personal PC option. I know thats kind of wrong but what I'm getting at here is perhaps Peeps need to be shown VIA Logical Discourse by someone such as Yourself, how to go about doing what You've already suggested.

Quote:
I will prepare a video podcast talking about this "miths" about Linux.
That being - Switching to Linux...
Quote:
and here we go
Old 02-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #16
pablo
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundthetable View Post
Thank emonkey but most of that is latin to me, im just your average comp user, but i would like to support an alternative to the big two, mac and microsoft, without losing the useability.

This is not about technology, its about protect ourselves, and be free, in technologycal way...
in the system will be a package called "tor network" to surf on internet 100% annonimously"
Old 02-23-2010, 07:56 PM   #17
pablo
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMonkey View Post
Useability is subjective - ask yourself what are my requirements?
Web surfing, word processing, etc. All of these, linux can offer with free software.

Yes, co-existence is entirely possible.
1. You can install with Wubi under windows (run windows and insert the linux CD for options) - which can install onto a windows partion or onto your windows drive. It will ask you how much space you want to allocate for Linux.

2. You can boot and install from the CD to a dedicated partion if you have enough disk space. In some instances, it is possible to rearrange the space on the existing partions to make room. The default arrangement is that Linux will wipe the disk and re-allocate all of it for linux as it is assumed linux will be the only OS installed and it will be on a new machine, but instead, you need then to do a custom install for your needs to preserve your windows setup.

Once installed, you will then see a new boot manager (usually called GRUB) at boot time where you can select the O.S. you want to boot from.

Installing through windows offers a safer experience till you get used to it. You can later migrate the Wubi installation to a full partion rather than occupying file space on your windows drive.

I really suggest you go to the site and read the wherefores of installation. It is a learning curve and is in you best interests to learn yourself. I was like you at one point. I had no clue about Linux. I purchased several distro's over the last 15 years Red-Hat and Suse and could not get on with any of them. I ended up literally getting into a rage stamping up and down on the CD's and binning them. Lately, I grabbed the bull by the horns, read the web pages, and started to understand a little more. I am self taught and just and ordinary person.

I think if you are not prepared to think and learn a little on your needs and requirements of what will be demanded from you as a user, perhaps you are better off staying with windows.
Everyone is prepared for Vega
P.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #18
pablo
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddanieljjjamesss View Post
How easy will it be to use for people who aren't great with computers?
I mean, the farthest thing I've done is operate bootcamp on my mac... messed with ubuntu a little bit, but I hear Linux and automatically feel like it's unfamiliar territory.

Definitely interested though.
absolutely easy to manage, i will send some videos of usability in the weekend!
Old 02-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #19
pablo
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and for "NSA cutie message" :P

The questions about Vega, its really appreciated, because all the need are valuable for this project. The best way to learn linux is reading tutorial, but the configuration of the remaster that i am making, avoid a lot of settings that end users has no time or prepartion to do that.

In spite of this, i create a lot of videos, when my time and my work and my life as musician let me do that, to prepare all of you for that work.

Seems to be, that theres a lot of ppl here that uses Linux, so this isi a good signal that theres a lot of ppl that hasve the knowledge to support each other.

So stay tunned with that, and feel free to contact me on my mail at
pablo@chix.com.ar

www.chix.com.ar ( than means Chi-X ) will be the site of the Vega System, and mirrors for downloading the iso image ( at leat 1.20GB DVD or USB pendrive installation ) will be distributed all around.

Im following my inner impulse, in the way will be a lot of experiences, and my role is provide this help in the knowledge that i have...

For whom never head about Ubuntu technology, listen to Nelson Mandela talking about the meaning of the "word" ubuntu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODQ4WiDsEBQ

regards
Pablo
Old 02-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #20
Instead
Avalon Senior Member

I've had Linux on the brain for awhile recently. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I'm in.
Instead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #21
truthseekerdan
Avalon Senior Member

Pablo, thanks for your replies.
At this time I'm dual booting Mac OS X and Win 7 on my PC.
I can't wait to give Vega a try also... (plenty of HD space).
truthseekerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #22
pablo
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
You dont and you should not assume otherwise. No offense meant to pablo, but one should always be extremely careful with material like this.

It has the potential to be a very good thing, but that wont stop careful people running it up in a quarantined environment first and doing a fair bit of analysis before green lighting it. I would expect pablo to expect that caution.
the iso image will be availbe for everyone, to test it, stressed it and check the resources and the packages origin and the original sourcecode access...

i have no regrets for "filters", indeed, all my life "lightworking" pple put me on "trials and tests"

I have inmunnity of critism and adulation

just a collaboratio for the thing that Allex collier talked and seems that we firgive in some point
ITS TIME TO HOLOGRAPHIC THOUGHTS.....

P.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #23
Anchor
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo View Post
the iso image will be availbe for everyone, to test it, stressed it and check the resources and the packages origin and the original sourcecode access...

i have no regrets for "filters", indeed, all my life "lightworking" pple put me on "trials and tests"

I have inmunnity of critism and adulation

just a collaboratio for the thing that Allex collier talked and seems that we firgive in some point
ITS TIME TO HOLOGRAPHIC THOUGHTS.....

P.
Thanks I knew you would understand. I am very happy to see the work you are doing. I will download it as soon as I have the bandwidth to spare (we have to pay a lot for that in Australia ) I only get 12Gb per month on my fast connection and I need to wait till tomorrow for it to reset
Old 02-23-2010, 10:59 PM   #24
greybeard
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Pablo
I use linux Ubuntu, my son put it in for me.
Im not technically literate at all

Its easy to use and reliable.
Only drawback is that I home record with Boss Br 900 cd recorder and there is windows/boss software on line for making it easy to add the drum part via the laptop and I cant down load to linux.
This makes adding drum parts laborious to our music.
Pablo do you know of anyway round that?
Would your version of Liniux be superior?
Im interested.

Regards Chris
greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #25
dddanieljjjamesss
Avalon Senior Member

Hey Pablo, I was curious if you could explain a little bit about how Tor works to provid 100% anonymity? I dunno if that is a little bit too much to ask or if theres a way to simply explain it. I have heard of it before, I tried to use TorButton on firefox but I could never get pages to load... no idea if thats the same thing lol
dddanieljjjamesss is offline   Reply With Quote