Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you posted on a community thread today?
Yay, I posted on my community thread ! 8 72.73%
Yes, I posted on someone else's community thread. Get me! I'm community minded :0) 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2010, 09:30 PM   #26
Kulapops
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Fantasy Avalon League

Sounds good pineal.. Are you renting or is it yours?

I think too, that once the initial adrenalin shock of something IS going to happen became something MAY happen to now, something MIGHT happen..has taken away all that spurring to action.

However my perspective has changed since those early days... as I'm sure is true for many here.. and I think.. just because it ISN'T going to happen, there's no reason why we can't plan or dream about a community we'd like to live in.. even if (shock-horror) NONE of this ever happens !

Life is oohh-sooo much more boring in reality... so I think we need to be thinking long term.

2012 is a red herring too I'm beginning to think. Since when does life place convenient signposts of action along its path ?

So I think, plan the future we want instead. We don't all have to live that way, but those that do will slowly gravitate towards a new way of living.

A farmhouse is a great start... well done you!

K
Kulapops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #27
justpeter
Avalon Senior Member

As regards rules and regulations, I think Findhorn in Scotland seem to have got this worked out. For instance, I seem to remember reading that when they have a meeting, if it gets too heated then someone rings a bell and everyone has to be silent for a few minutes. This allows everyone to calm down and reconsider before starting up again.

I think if I was going to start some kind of commune I would probably spend a week up there at Findhorn to get an idea of how they do things. Probably time and money well spent.
justpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #28
Kulapops
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpeter View Post
As regards rules and regulations, I think Findhorn in Scotland seem to have got this worked out. For instance, I seem to remember reading that when they have a meeting, if it gets too heated then someone rings a bell and everyone has to be silent for a few minutes. This allows everyone to calm down and reconsider before starting up again.

I think if I was going to start some kind of commune I would probably spend a week up there at Findhorn to get an idea of how they do things. Probably time and money well spent.
Thanks for that justpeter... yes if anyone wants to post details of other communities worldwide that people can check out here... feel free.

I've been meaning to visit this one which is not far from me in Exeter...

www.embercombe.co.uk

and I quote

"Embercombe is a charity and social enterprise established to champion a way of living that celebrates the opportunities inherent in this challenging time and that inspires people to energetically contribute towards the emergence of a socially just, environmentally sustainable and spiritually fulfilling human presence on earth."

See.... isn't that something some of you would like to see ??
Old 02-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #29
justpeter
Avalon Senior Member

This is one in Wales:-

http://www.brithdirmawr.co.uk/ysbrydol.htm
justpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #30
Jacqui D
Avalon Senior Member

When i joined Avalon which seems many moons ago now, this was the mind in many meeting with all, i know there have been a few meets with some in their areas, but since nothing sadly.
I guess the whole thing at the beginning was the survival mode who would go where etc this brought a closeness.
Now the idea of meeting others seems a distant dream sigh!
We all keep in touch on the forum this is good but meeting face to face is so much better.
What a wonderful idea to have one big meet up, that would be hard because we are globally separated.
A group mind thing would be good we could all focus on one place, might even be surprising what we could come up with.
I think there are only 2 of us in my area on Avalon,so not many awakened ones where i live lol!
Jacqui D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #31
pureheart7
Retired Avalon Member

Greetings~~

I am a new member and very interested in farming and communities.

People have asked me if I feel safe where I am, and my answer for now is Yes. I live on high ground in a rustic cottage with fresh water and loads of firewood

I am passionate about local fresh food, co-creating community and expressing our natural talents and abilities. I have looked at the threads relating to ground crews etc. and see little activity there, so I decided to post here.

I would also like to share this website on Intentional Communities:
http://www.ic.org/ and this:http://wwoof.org/

Change requires courage and a leap of faith~~it needs to feel right and resonate. I have been applying for farm internships in my area so I can learn.

I would love to hear from others who are like-minded or in my area.
Blessings~~
pureheart7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:21 PM   #32
josie
Avalon Senior Member

well, i'm in portland oregon and i play pretty good rhythm on a gibson j45 guitar and i am a pretty good teacher too so i could offer that up! plus i know nearly every steve earle song so that would help inspire any revolution i can do other stuff well too like storytelling, but i'm very shy and need coaxing love.
josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #33
Kulapops
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie View Post
well, i'm in portland oregon and i play pretty good rhythm on a gibson j45 guitar and i am a pretty good teacher too so i could offer that up! plus i know nearly every steve earle song so that would help inspire any revolution i can do other stuff well too like storytelling, but i'm very shy and need coaxing love.
Do you know 'When Josie comes home...' by Steely Dan ?

Thanks everyone for posting the community details. I think this is a great idea. I took a look at the one in Wales...seems interesting... building that earth wall must have taken a few man-woman hours... !

Please feel free to post any community stuff here or any ideas/thoughts you may have for starting/joining your own...

For example, how 'self-sufficient' does a community need to be? Does it need to be totally stand alone. If it can generate revenue in some way, does it really need to do everything itself??

I don't think making community is just about coping in a post apocalyptic sense (well not any more) I think it's also about finding an alternative way of approaching life than the way we currently do. (neighbours at arms length.. family in another town...). No telly ? No MacDo's ? Learning about the real world in which we live ? Plants, birds... animals.. seasons...medicine...health.. peace .. love...and living in a hopefully fulfilling way.

Or is it about back-breaking toil.. arguments over who's turn it is to milk the goat?

K
Old 02-27-2010, 03:32 PM   #34
josie
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulapops View Post

ya! that's the song i got my name from. good old school steely dan

Last edited by Jonah; 02-27-2010 at 05:44 PM.
josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #35
Kulapops
Avalon Senior Member

[QUOTE=josie;245131]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulapops View Post

ya! that's the song i got my name from. good old school steely dan
Wow.. they have been responsible for a few names then... I know another friend who called her daughter Aja, (Asia?) after an album by Steely Dan...

I wonder if there's anyone out there called Kid Charlemagne ??
Old 03-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #36
Kulapops
Avalon Senior Member

With the recent 'down time' at Avalon, I've made a note to self that I should at least get some contact details for those on my friends list, emails or skype.. that kind of thing.

Perhaps you are already more organised than I, but I thought I'd mention this for those of you who haven't thought of this yet.

Would be a shame to lose that community... as someone pointed out (Dim, I think it was).. a shame for all those virtual connections to rely on one password...

So think about your community, even if it's a virtual one.

I'm not going to ask people to post any details of course, this is just a reminder to get it sorted...

K
Old 03-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #37
5thElement
Avalon Senior Member

"and streams.... must have water!" illuminate
This is a must! I live on a island and fresh water could be a problem unless you had a good well with no salt water intrusion. That is the only drawback to trying to be self sustaining here.

You're going to have Kilkenny ?? kulapops/feardia
I am not sure I could live with too many cartmans

I have been telling my husband that I have a very strong urge to buy some land and set up a small farm. Not sure how to make that happen but the urge is getting stronger everyday. This is not an OMG the S is about to HTF kind of feeling - it's something else. Where ever we end up - we come with a small village attached (8-13 of us and some of them are a bit smelly)

Great thread - let's keep it going. And remember, everyone has value and something to contribute to any community they are part of

El

Last edited by 5thElement; 03-05-2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: typo
5thElement is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
community