Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 11-29-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
Ammit
Avalon Senior Member

Default Storing food stuffs - feeling paranoid!!!

Hi all

I added more items to my Emergency store today, quite a lot of things collected. I stood back and looked at it all and couldnt help but feel paranoid at what I was doing...

These are surely confusing times.
Ammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
lindabaker
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: Storing food stuffs - feeling paranoid!!!

You may be paranoid, maybe not! If you end up not needing the food and supplies, there are plenty of places that will accept donations for the hungry. The local food banks or pantries where I live are emptied every week by families. There are a great number of people who have lost employment and must turn to the food bank or pantry for the first time in their lives. These are people who donated food last year, and are now in the position of needing to receive. So, your food storage will be beneficial, whether you need it for yourself and your family in the near future, or if you gratefully donate it later. Win win situation. Love, LB
lindabaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Better to have it than not
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
hobbit
Unsubscribed

Paranoia will always annoya.

It will be natural to store up and clear the decks as a storm approachs.
Because We are veiled from the true methods of how universe operates We are fumbling about like blind mice.
We need to smash open the doorways to understanding fast, then We can better comprehend what is occuring.
It will be difficult to erase the downloaded lies that We take as true, this has been done over milleniums by very advanced and clever beings.
Question is, are they using ourselves or on our side?
hobbit
hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:00 AM   #5
morganlilith
Avalon Senior Member

i don't feel paranoid about food storage.

i don't see what my family stores as 'emergency storage' so maybe that's why.
it's just prudent to have food on hand and not be dependent on whether the delivery make it from the warehouse to the grocery store. there are too many circumstances that make getting to the store difficult or impossible, even if the sh*t never hits the fan or the zombies never come, lol. also, we don't just accumulate a lot of food and then throw it out when it expires. we store what we eat and rotate through our storage. i grew up in a family that raised and preserved a lot of it's own food. i got away from that for a while, but have returned to it. canning and dehydrating are a big part of our lifestyle. we grind our own flour and bake most of our own bread, so it makes sense for us to have wheat (and other grains/legumes which we enjoy as flour). we have a berkey water filtration system that we use every day. we think in terms of simplifying our life style, and doing things from scratch.

there's something very satisfying about being able to take care of yourself and those you love, even if the weather doesn't cooperate, or someone becomes ill or loses a job, or the zombies come...... ;-)
morganlilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:20 AM   #6
Northern Boy
Avalon Senior Member

I no longer worry about it what will be will be If I`m meant to make it I will if not I`ll see you on the other side
Northern Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:23 AM   #7
FIIISH
Avalon Senior Member

IMHO,

Short-term provisions are prudent.

Anything longer than a couple weeks does not resonate with
me as being necessary.

I want to live, not survive.
FIIISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Boy View Post
I no longer worry about it what will be will be If I`m meant to make it I will if not I`ll see you on the other side
That's exactly the way I feel about it
Old 12-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
housemouse2
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammit View Post
Hi all

I added more items to my Emergency store today, quite a lot of things collected. I stood back and looked at it all and couldnt help but feel paranoid at what I was doing...

These are surely confusing times.
I know the feeling and am doing the same thing myself. I lived through the cold war, an alcoholic father, Y2K, 9/11, I am the mother of a handicapped child, been through numerous medical issues, bankruptcy, failed business, many deaths in the family and never, ever before have I been compelled to stock up on food and water.

Not just food and water but medical supplies, medication, alternate heat sources, old cookbooks, the staples like flour, sugar, ect. Never before have I been compelled to do this and I look at my basement with all this extra food stored and I wonder if I am going nuts!

I don't know what is coming but I am not the only one doing this. Something is coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabaker View Post
You may be paranoid, maybe not! If you end up not needing the food and supplies, there are plenty of places that will accept donations for the hungry. The local food banks or pantries where I live are emptied every week by families. There are a great number of people who have lost employment and must turn to the food bank or pantry for the first time in their lives. These are people who donated food last year, and are now in the position of needing to receive. So, your food storage will be beneficial, whether you need it for yourself and your family in the near future, or if you gratefully donate it later. Win win situation. Love, LB

Also I find myself stocking up on things that would be good for trade...like coffee. No idea why I am doing this. Personally, I think I'm nuts.
housemouse2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #10
Instead
Avalon Senior Member

I'm at about 3 months worth. Maybe it will end up in the hands of others and not my family. I will do my best and am at peace with the outcome.
Instead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by housemouse2 View Post
I know the feeling and am doing the same thing myself. I lived through the cold war, an alcoholic father, Y2K, 9/11, I am the mother of a handicapped child, been through numerous medical issues, bankruptcy, failed business, many deaths in the family and never, ever before have I been compelled to stock up on food and water.

Not just food and water but medical supplies, medication, alternate heat sources, old cookbooks, the staples like flour, sugar, ect. Never before have I been compelled to do this and I look at my basement with all this extra food stored and I wonder if I am going nuts!

I don't know what is coming but I am not the only one doing this. Something is coming.

Also I find myself stocking up on things that would be good for trade...like coffee. No idea why I am doing this. Personally, I think I'm nuts.
I don't think you're nuts.

One thing I've wondered about, though, is if it turns out that stored items are needed in the future, how am I going to go about sharing with those who have made no preparations?
Seashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #12
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seashore View Post
I don't think you're nuts.

One thing I've wondered about, though, is if it turns out that stored items are needed in the future, how am I going to go about sharing with those who have made no preparations?
You will suddenly have lots of new friends
Old 12-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #13
Seashore
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
You will suddenly have lots of new friends
Seashore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:19 PM   #14
Scarab
Banned

Extra food can never be bad.
Scarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:51 AM   #15
FIIISH
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIIISH View Post
IMHO,

Short-term provisions are prudent.

Anything longer than a couple weeks does not resonate with
me as being necessary.

I want to live, not survive.
We recently upped our stores of rice and beans from a few weeks worth
to a few months worth(20+ quarts each).

Also just ordered a Berkey water filter.

I think it was the mention of rice and beans in the recent Wilcock/Fulford
interview that prompted the change. It WAS Fulford that said it, but David didn't disagree and that caught my attention.

So, something is now telling me that some basic preparation for short-term
disruptions is in order.

If not, we need food and clean water anyway!
FIIISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #16
sammytray
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbit View Post

It will be natural to store up and clear the decks as a storm approachs.
Because We are veiled from the true methods of how universe operates We are fumbling about like blind mice.
We need to smash open the doorways to understanding fast, then We can better comprehend what is occuring.
It will be difficult to erase the downloaded lies that We take as true, this has been done over milleniums by very advanced and clever beings.
Question is, are they using ourselves or on our side?
hobbit
EXTREMELY WISE WORDS HOBBIT!
sammytray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:34 AM   #17
Greetings
Avalon Senior Member

try and seek understanding in your self rather than try to make understanding from what is around you.

Become one. End the separation.
Greetings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #18
Kulapops
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
We are veiled from the true methods of how universe operates We are fumbling about like blind mice.
hobbit
I love this, hobbit.

Anyone who thinks they know exactly what's going to happen and when is delusional.

My own 'timeline' changed from one that blissfully didn't contain stored food a year and a half ago to one that does now.

But I am eating the stored food and not restocking.

Yes... I bought a berkey filter. Good buy actually... and now that's more about improved health rather than impending doom.

I also agree that there's nothing wrong with a little planning for a rainy day.

Keeping an extra pack of toilet rolls is handy anyway...for when.. you know... you get to the last roll and... well... you were meaning to go out and get some more.. but then the phone rang.. and then it was your sister's birthday.. and now.. here you are... on the throne as it were.. and you're looking at three sheets of single ply and wondering to yourself......

Well.. you get the picture.

However, I find it's difficult not to look at your little cupboard of supplies big or small and not have a 'thought' about it.

Since for me now, I'm thinking living is about NOW... I'm a little unhappy having these reminders of 'famine' in my present. So I'm trying to go along with hobbit's wisdom... and let the universe take care of my paradigmed butt.

Yeah.. I hear what you're saying.. go hug a tree you frieken hippy.. but each to his own.

I think you're right to feel paranoid Ammit. I say, follow YOU... not some mind rubbish... and if someone feels that a cellar full is right.. then I say do that too.

Just be ready to defend it, or give it away when the time comes. Sheesh.. something else to worry about then... see? worry is never ending. Best not to start with it...

K
Kulapops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #19
gita
Avalon Senior Member

I also stocked up but had to use it up due to the snowy weather where shelves were looking somewhat bare and people fighting over the last pop tart! I’ve come to a point that if there’s a food shortage and I’ve been caught off guard due to lack of preparation then it’ll be the perfect time to become a breatharian. Plus I would welcome the weight loss even if I’m forced into it. In the end we can only do so much and if It’s meant to be...

As far as toilet rolls go – well that’s always stocked up regardless.
gita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #20
Kulapops
Avalon Senior Member

You don't need to lose weight, Gita

But Never mind your coffee and alcohol...

The Toilet Roll will be the single unit of currency in any post apocolyptic society.

Did anyone see the Book of Eli ? ... Where a little vial of shampoo was an absolute luxury beyond price to a woman with long hair...

s'funny.. when I was paranoid about 18 months ago and thinking about 'survival' I even watched a vid on youtube about how to skin a rabbit... I was thinking, well, you know... 'best get prepared'

Sheussh... wish I never watched it.

How would I know, that my diet would change voluntarily in the next 12 months... and now I find I can happily go without meat...so I wouldn't be forced to kill and skin Peter Rabbit after all.

See, some things, you just can't see...

Whatever happens... YOU will still exist. (until you don't). So logically, that's the best bit to work on, isn't it? Anything material can be taken away from you... or given to you.

The other stuff is yours to keep.

K
Old 02-16-2010, 11:29 AM   #21
gita
Avalon Senior Member

Thanks Kula – you’re so sweet. By the way, did you make that eye test appointment with specsavers – you get two for the price of one – bargain.

Please stay away from the cute bunnies – that’s swanny’s job anyway.
gita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #22
Stargazer1965
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Boy View Post
I'm with you NB....Somethings are just meant to be....if not...It's been quite a ride.

And for all the rest

Peace Y'all
Stargazer1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #23
Kulapops
Avalon Senior Member

Anway.. back to the thread now, Ammit, I'm curious... just what was it that you added to your store that made you stand back and look and feel what you felt?

K

Gita... I thought I'd gone in to specsavers... but it turned out to be the butchers

Old 02-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #24
pyrangello
Avalon Senior Member

Let your intuition and 6th sense be your guide. Find comfort not in fear, but yourself. Prep to your comfort level and live your life. You'll be fine and no your not nuts.

Survival items are up huge in sales, many people are raising their own chickens now for eggs, and all this happening while we watch the illustrious wizards in charge scramble on how to stay in power. Consider this-

If you want to control a country , country it's money.

The most effcient way to get and keep power is to get the citizens to give it to you.

The most efficient way to make people dependant on you , is to erode the concept of self dependence, personal responsibility, and ultimately, self determination.

Crisis and panic are tools of the state to get more power.

Your not nuts, your just making sure your not sucked into the vortex of the ultimate trap, everybody here is just way ahead of the curve.
pyrangello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:12 PM   #25
Swanny
I dont need a label !

Quote:
Originally Posted by gita View Post
Thanks Kula – you’re so sweet. By the way, did you make that eye test appointment with specsavers – you get two for the price of one – bargain.

Please stay away from the cute bunnies – that’s swanny’s job anyway.
I have a couple of snares ready to get bugs