Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > Project Avalon > Preparations / Advice

Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
Connecting with Sauce
Avalon Senior Member

Default An unsinkable yacht is something I've read about if we get earth changes...

http://www.etapyachting.com/

This company produces some nice yachts... the ETAP 46Ds looks rather nice oh yes they are also unsinkable even if the hull is holed.

No idea how much they are new a few £100,000s... but I have an ebay search just in case there was a 37 foot one which is 2 years old for £134,000 boats are pricey aren't they...

Just having a moment of dreaming...
Connecting with Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
morguana
Project Avalon Moderator

Default Re: An unsinkable yacht is something I've read about if we get earth changes...

Can I join you in that dream please?
Would be super wouldn't it?
Bou x

the way is not in the sky, the way is in the heart

forum guidlines

Avalon Chat
morguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
Vidya Moksha
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: An unsinkable yacht is something I've read about if we get earth changes...

I spent some time on an old lifeboat..they are pretty unsinkable too....and we had a good cheap idea....fill the hull with ping pong balls....seriously..should work, and a bit cheaper
Vidya Moksha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
Swanny
I dont need a label !

My lifes dream has been to own a nice boat
I think I will have to wait till everyone dies from the vaccine then go and find a nice one left in some harbour somewhere
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
morguana
Project Avalon Moderator

Lol, swanny, only you could think that!, had a dream once that there wasn't many folk around and we pilfered a rather nice cottage with a cellar!
Bou x

the way is not in the sky, the way is in the heart

forum guidlines

Avalon Chat
morguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:01 AM   #6
DAYDREAMER
Avalon Senior Member

I bought Patrick Geryl's book and thought it was quite disappointing. He mentions these unsinkable boats and yeah they might be unsinkable in normal circumstances, but what if you are faced with a huge tidal wave (tsunami) and get completely swallowed like in the movie Perfect Storm with George Clooney.

I saw 2nd hand Etap yachts online for about £37000 the cheapest price was I think, but it was almost 20 years old.

Better to have an floatation coat like this: http://www.mustangsurvival.com/produ...uct.php?id=505

It is like a normal jacket, but also a life jacket and will be useful to wear come end of 2012 or if you are travelling anywhere near the Indian Ocean lately.

Swanny, you should head to Monte Carlo if that scenario happens, lots of very big luxury boats over there.
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:01 AM   #7
TheObserver
Avalon Senior Member

I'd name mine T
...........................I
..............................T
.................................A
....................................N
........................................I
...........................................C (sorry!someone had to!)
TheObserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
Light Beyond
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
My lifes dream has been to own a nice boat
I think I will have to wait till everyone dies from the vaccine then go and find a nice one left in some harbour somewhere

Last edited by Light Beyond; 10-20-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Light Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
Vidya Moksha
Avalon Senior Member

An unsinkable boat is just that, and it would work in a tsunami....but unless you have star trek like inertial dampers you need some protection....

also tsunami translates as 'habour wave', as it needs shallow water to rear up, in deeper waters its just a big swell....having said that, if its 2km wave i am out of my depth..lol..but again in deep waters i would think you could ride one out...i have been in some very big swells in my time, once you realise you wont sink they can be quite fun...

as for jackets, the best bit of kit would be a canoe vest, say a 90N vest, this would give some protection vs objects (most people die after been hit by something)..they are quite cheap and practical..perhaps in conjunction with some helmet..you wont sink thats for sure...i have fallen out of boats wearing one of these and my head didnt even go under the water...

as for boats..they are a romantic dream, the reality is hard work, and if its got an engine you need to be a first class mechanic. I have spent most of my life on or around working boats....they are uncomfortable, costly and need a lot of maintenance. nice on nice days. terrible on poor days.
Vidya Moksha is offline   Reply With Quote