Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Avalon Forum > What’s Going Down > News And Updates

Notices

Old 03-17-2010, 02:36 AM   #1
raulduke
Avalon Senior Member

Default I Can't Believe It's Not Buddha

(video)
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...ha---raj-patel

Huffington Post

Raj Patel, the author of the recent book "The Value of Nothing," has experienced a bizarre incarnation of the "Colbert Bump" after appearing on "The Colbert Report" in January.

Patel has apparently been discovered by a religious group called "Share International" which awaits the second coming of Buddha in the form of a Messiah they call "Maitreya." The group's religious leader, Benjamin Creme, identified the Maitreya as having been born in 1972, traveled to London from India in 1977, being dark-skinned, and having a stutter. After Raj Patel came on "The Colbert Report," and was described in an article as having briefly stuttered, Creme officially declared that Patel was the group's Messiah.

Patel spoke with Stephen Colbert last night over the phone about his recent Messiah-hood. He called the whole idea "entirely bogus," especially considering his strongly-held belief that we shouldn't rely on religious leaders to make decisions for us, but to think for ourselves. In "The Value of Nothing," Patel urges people to think about the true costs of the things we purchase, and take concrete steps towards changing the world.

Watch the vid (sorry bout the stupid commercial and popups. comedy central's website and all), I like how Raj handles the catch 22 situation Share International puts him in. We don't really need great leaders, we can think for ourselves.
raulduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
dddanieljjjamesss
Avalon Senior Member

Default Re: I Can't Believe It's Not Buddha

the title cracked me up
i've been listening to freeman's discussions on raj and the whole maitreya thing
it will be interesting to see what happens
dddanieljjjamesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
Mercuriel
Avalon Senior Member

Exclamation Re: I Can't Believe It's Not Buddha

Here comes the Maitreya eh ? Hmmm - Watch this Raj Patel, methinks...

Mercuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
Moxie
Avalon Senior Member

yeah, funny thread title.. laughing, good medicine!

and another yeah, beware of holograms, thought forms & beliefs that the ego identifies with.... geyawd has it really been,what, over 12 yrs since I ran across Share International, they are still around?

I'm tired, I must need a good nap.
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
raulduke
Avalon Senior Member

Hi Moxie,

Did you have some experience with Share International?

I was wondering if anybody knows what this Benjamin Creme's claim to fame is?
raulduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
Humble Janitor
Avalon Senior Member

Maitreya? Didn't these loonies once accuse Obama of being so?
Humble Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
Steve_A
Project Avalon Moderator

Sometimes it is difficult to tell the difference between Buddha and Margerine. I used Stork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulduke View Post
(video)
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...ha---raj-patel

Huffington Post

Raj Patel, the author of the recent book "The Value of Nothing," has experienced a bizarre incarnation of the "Colbert Bump" after appearing on "The Colbert Report" in January.

Patel has apparently been discovered by a religious group called "Share International" which awaits the second coming of Buddha in the form of a Messiah they call "Maitreya." The group's religious leader, Benjamin Creme, identified the Maitreya as having been born in 1972, traveled to London from India in 1977, being dark-skinned, and having a stutter. After Raj Patel came on "The Colbert Report," and was described in an article as having briefly stuttered, Creme officially declared that Patel was the group's Messiah.

Patel spoke with Stephen Colbert last night over the phone about his recent Messiah-hood. He called the whole idea "entirely bogus," especially considering his strongly-held belief that we shouldn't rely on religious leaders to make decisions for us, but to think for ourselves. In "The Value of Nothing," Patel urges people to think about the true costs of the things we purchase, and take concrete steps towards changing the world.

Watch the vid (sorry bout the stupid commercial and popups. comedy central's website and all), I like how Raj handles the catch 22 situation Share International puts him in. We don't really need great leaders, we can think for ourselves.
Steve_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
micjer
Avalon Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulduke View Post
Hi Moxie,

Did you have some experience with Share International?

I was wondering if anybody knows what this Benjamin Creme's claim to fame is?
He is like the Billy Graham of this particular religious faith. Been spouting for years for those that would listen. not too many imo

micjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
JuLiSsa
Avalon Senior Member

He called the whole idea "entirely bogus," especially considering his strongly-held belief that we shouldn't rely on religious leaders to make decisions for us, but to think for ourselves. In "The Value of Nothing," Patel urges people to think about the true costs of the things we purchase, and take concrete steps towards changing the world.

I like Raj so much and his message is awesome.

As far as him being "the one" I don't really care much if he is or not. He's already a winner in my book.

Blessings,

Julissa
JuLiSsa is offline   Reply With Quote