Go Back   Old Project Avalon Forum (ARCHIVE) > Project Camelot Forum > Project Camelot > Ufology

Notices

Old 11-15-2008, 02:35 AM   #1
Antaletriangle
Avalon Senior Member

Default Laurinburg couple reports UFO sighting in Barnes Bridge area

http://www.laurinburgexchange.com/ar.../news/4ufo.txt
Friday, November 14, 2008 7:33 PM EST
Last Sunday, a Laurinburg businessman said he had an experience that he might have chalked up to an active imagination if it had happened to someone else.

Even now he is a little bit sheepish when talking about the incident lest someone call him a "nut".

He has declined to give his name.

On Sunday at approximately 6:15 p.m. the man and his wife were driving past General MaCarthur's Restaurant when they saw a startlingly bright light on the horizon.

"What in the world is that?" the man said he asked his wife.

His spouse proposed that it was the moon behind the clouds. Then she spotted the moon in another corner of the sky.

"That's not the moon," the man said to his wife, as the rectangular shaped unidentified flying object continued to float slowly.

"It was a really, really bright yellowish color," he said.

As the couple continued their drive, staring in awe of what was before them, the object began to change.

"We saw it probably 30 seconds or so and it split and divided into individual round bright lights -- one in the group of lights was moving back and forth, casually."

Skeptics of the supernatural offer many explanations for experiences like the Laurinburg couple had on Sunday. A popular one is that what people see when they see UFOs are often military aircraft. That explanation would seem to hold some water, considering the proximity of the Laurinburg-Maxton Airport and Fort Bragg, which will be expanding in the coming months.

"It was definitely nothing like anything that is possible from our military," said the man. "I have seen lights just like these in UFO television programs before, and there is no way they are airplanes, or anything else like that."

Skeptics have also proposed that those who see UFOs do so because they want to. Notable skeptic James Randi, founder of the James Randi Educational Foundation, claims that many people who report UFOs simply allowed themselves to make an ordinary experience extraordinary. "Endless reports of UFOs have come in, most of them actually of weather balloons, science projects, meteors, regular airline flights, and other relatively mundane events," said Randi, who offers a $1 million dollar prize to anyone who can provide irrefutable proof of supernatural activity.

"In most cases, sizes and distances have been given, though such figures simply cannot be determined without the use of proper instrumentation, a comparison object, or another properly recorded, independent report. It is an illusion most people have that they can tell the size and/or the distance of an object without these advantages, and it is just not true."

Randi also challenges the credibility of those who claim to have seen UFOs, saying that many people who believe they have had experiences with aliens also believe that they "have lived former lives, and can recall them."

Past lives are not something the Laurinburg man, a Christian clergyman, believes in.

"I don't want people to think I'm some kind of a UFO nut," he said of his not wishing to be identified. "The experience raises no anxiety -- I just look at it as an unusual experience."

The pastor and his wife are not the only ones to have reported UFO activity in this part of the state. In November of last year, a pair of Southern Pines teens recounted to The Pilot their experience with strange lights in the sky.

Jacob Cole and Ben Sizer reported sitting on the porch near Cole's Lake Auman home and noticing a "bright, big, green glow" in the sky. The time was, just like this week's sighting in Laurinburg, approximately 6:15 p.m. "It was fizzling, falling like it was on fire," Cole said. Cole reported that the object then split into smaller parts.

"My dad is big into astronomy," Cole said, "We've looked at planets, watched shooting stars and meteor showers before. This was nothing like a meteor shower." Cole also added that there was no noise associated with the encounter.

There was also no sound during Sunday's sighting.

The couple continued driving in their car near Barnes Bridge Road, and noticed the objects move rapidly toward the direction of East Laurinburg. "Then they just disappeared."

This UFO sighting was the first for the wife, who had listened to her husband describe seeing three other strange flying objects over the past six months.

"I've seen single lights this year, very bright ... 'boy this is odd' I thought," the pastor said.

What the minister had seen at 5 a.m. while running, or late at night while taking out his dog could not compare to what he saw with his wife on Sunday, however.

The Laurinburg and Scotland County authorities received no calls over the weekend describing any unusual sightings.

That however, does not shake the couple's confidence in what they saw.

"Being a minister, and having read the Bible, I feel like it's something demonic.

(According to the Bible) Satan is the prince of, and has power over the air, and in my estimation it is related to that in a spiritual way."

"It is likely Satan trying to show his power."

Whether it is aliens, or weather balloons, or demons that the Laurinburg couple actually saw, a few things are true.

Two ordinary people who are afraid to seem like "nuts", and who are respected business owners and community and church members have had a graphic and stirring encounter with something they cannot explain.
Antaletriangle is offline   Reply With Quote